Old 18th February 2007, 12:36   #1
gottkaiser

FLAC Decoder v1.1.4

Hi,

It would be great if you could update the in_flac.dll in the next version of Winamp.
In Winamp 2.33 it's still v1.1.2e. The official realease is up to v1.1.4.
There are some speed improvments!

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

Thanks in advance.
gottkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 12:44   #2
DrO

it will be updated at some point, just that there were enough api changes in 1.1.3/1.1.4 that means it will take longer to do the required updates. i also believe some more cleanup is wanted to be done to the plugin (seeing as it's a nullsoft modified version of the reference code and things aren't done as well as they could be done).

also seeing as 1.1.4 was only released on the same day as 5.33 (i'll assume that's what you meant when refering to 2.33 in your post ) there was never going to be any chance of things being updated (and wasn't going to be done for 1.1.3 when there were far more important things to do - like updating the media library to be unicode compatible).

give it a bit of time and something will appear, just don't ask when for the time being

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 21:16   #3
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

If you really need these speed improvements, you can use the reference FLAC decoder from sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/flac

But, unlike Nullsoft's FLAC decoder, it:

- isn't multi user friendly
- doesn't support global playback options (Replaygain, 24Bit)
- doesn't support Winamp's library (transcoding, meta data)
- hasn't all the fixes and improvements, which are gone into Nullsoft's version.

So you better should wait a little more, as DrO said, upgrading the plug-in to libflac 1.1.4 requirres more changes, but I'm sure, it will be updated someday, so stay tuned.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 23:24   #4
Kiyouta

If the new FLAC plugin would provide the media library with disc number info, it would be perfect!
Kiyouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 22:10   #5
Falco98

Send a message via ICQ to Falco98 Send a message via AIM to Falco98 Send a message via Yahoo to Falco98
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiyouta
If the new FLAC plugin would provide the media library with disc number info, it would be perfect!
I'm afraid the FLAC plugin won't be nearly perfect until they actually manage to build-in support for arbitrary extended vorbiscomments (it should look similar, IMHO, to how the Ogg-Vorbis metadata reader does it). Also, please please please get rid of the "remove" button, which with one accidental click can completely clear out and permanently erase all tags from that song.

(as for my reasoning -- FLAC is used a lot for live shows, and these are especially suited to extended tags; tags that can change depending on the show or artist, but which might include such things as, "taper", "venue", "featured guest", "source equipment", "date" [instead of simply "year"], and so on... I tag my live FLAC shows with these now, but winamp offers no recourse for either reading or editing these. at all.)
Falco98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 11:12   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Disc # is supported, Year and Date are the same.
What 'Remove' button are you referring to?

Extended/special vorbiscomment fields are already being considered.

Besides all that, the original request has been implemented in Winamp 5.34:
Nullsoft FLAC Decoder v2.0, based on FLAC 1.1.4
Attached Images
File Type: png flac-info.png (13.3 KB, 687 views)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 05:08   #7
Falco98

Send a message via ICQ to Falco98 Send a message via AIM to Falco98 Send a message via Yahoo to Falco98
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Disc # is supported, Year and Date are the same.
What 'Remove' button are you referring to?

Extended/special vorbiscomment fields are already being considered.

Besides all that, the original request has been implemented in Winamp 5.34:
Nullsoft FLAC Decoder v2.0, based on FLAC 1.1.4
good start. still, if we're being restricted to *only* the extended-info fields that are hard-coded into the plugin, there should be more there for what you might find in a properly-tagged live recording... "taper", "venue", "date" instead of "year" (since the actual vorbiscomment field is "date" and not "year"), etc. Also, "genre" probably shouldn't be a drop-down box, as VorbisComments do not have a specified set of genres to choose from -- the user can put in anything they wish.

in any case, all this extended stuff wouldn't even need to be argued about if a true "extended info" section were implemented as it is in the OggVorbis plugin. the genius thing about VorbisComments is that there can be an unlimited number and variety, so why are all the plugins thus far so severely limiting this functionality?

the "remove" button i refer to was in all the old builds i've seen -- essentially in one press (even if accidental) it would strip all info out, and save it, with no possibility to undo. glad to see that's gone. now i'm off to update my winamp install, hehe.
Falco98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist