Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 28th February 2007, 20:59   #1
2CP4200X64

Send a message via AIM to 2CP4200X64
WAV files (Nullsoft Waveform Wrapper v1.3) - 22/10/2010

Problem getting WAV files to play. They used to run ok for a long long time. I've tried reinstalling winamp with no sucsess. Please help

love ya

Nullsoft Waveform Wrapper v1.3

Old 1st March 2007, 08:11   #2
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Maybe it's one of those WAV files with embedded MP3 data (which are, just to avoid confusion, absolutely standard-conform as long as they have the correct RIFF header).

But, unfortunatly (hope this will be fixed soon), Winamp cannot play those files since version 5.2. Sooner or later, this is planned to be re-implemented again by just passing the data chunk to in_mp3.dll. But until this happens, you must play those files using another Player.

Or, try to rename them from *.wav to *.mp3. Then they should play normally, but note that they still got the RIFF header which then makes them no real mp3 files!

But every player plays them by just ignoring the header.

Regards,
|<zuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 12:56   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If they are riff-wav's with embedded mp3, then see here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....did=156839#wav
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 09:49   #4
alisave

therefore, the solution would be:
Quote:
Prefs > Plugins > Input:

Waveform Decoder v3.0 (in_wave.dll) > config
Deselect WAV from the extension list
alisave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 10:29   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, yeah, that'd only work if you were going for the in_dshow workaround,

ie. where you also add ;WAV to the Extension List in in_dshow config

(as explained via the link provided above)
Old 4th March 2007, 14:23   #6
ujay
Forum King

If you don't need to keep these files as WAVs - CDex has an option under it's 'Convert' menu that can strip the RIFF header and produce a normal MP3 file. (Do a back up of the original file first)

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 14:44   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

We've got an even better workaround coming your way soon :-)

Go DrO, go!
Old 4th March 2007, 14:54   #8
Bubba Smith
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
We've got an even better workaround coming your way soon :-)

Go DrO, go!
OK, Egg...
Are ya gonna tell us what Darren is working on, or just make us wait?

I have no signature.
Bubba Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 17:28   #9
kzuse

MPTrim (www.mptrim.com) also has got an option to eliminate the RIFF headers.

But yeah, tell us what's coming up... is it decoding RIFF-MP3s using in_wave --> via in_mp3, als I supposed above???

Would be really GREAT! ^^
Old 4th March 2007, 21:22   #10
DrO

Nullsoft Waveform Wrapper v1.3
Updated: 22/10/2010

The aim of this plug-in is to make use of the older in_wave to attempt to play certain wave file formats which the newer 3.x (libsndfile based) in_wave plug-in is not currently able to play. There are a few noticeable differences between the plug-ins (like the resource-edited preferences to avoid some confusion with things especially when compared to the newer in_wave).

The plug-in works by wrapping the older in_wave (you'll notice it as the in_wav.trb file in your plug-in's directory) and with some wonderful little tricks/controls of the Winamp input plug-in api, it can make the older in_wave be used instead of the newer in_wave, but only when/after the newer in_wave fails to play any .wav file passed to it (which ofcourse means riff-wav's with embedded mp3).

There will have to be some more updates made to the wrapper plugin to allow for it to handle other formats (it's currently hard-coded to handle only wav files which have the relevant mp3 format type reported by them, and two other codec types: dsp-truespeech and Creative ctadp32acm). It is also hard-coded to handle/playback standard .AUD files.

With v1.1 the wrapper will now detect wav files which are actually renamed MPEG audio files and as long as it finds the MPEG Audio Decoder (in_mp3.dll) then it'll forward ownership of the file to that plug-in. The result of this is mis-named files will be handled properly in the Media Library & Alt+3 dialogs for example.

The aim is to possibly allow for a selection from a known list as to which will be handled by the wrapper (well that's the idea, heh).

This is not meant as a be all and end all fix. It is just designed as a reasonably quick workaround (less than a day's coding to get to a initial public release ) to help those people who do have those weird and wonderful wav files (you know who you are you naughty people)

Anyway, it's provided as is so if things don't work, provide a copy of the file and i'll see what i can do to make it work with the older in_wave. But if it requires more than a id check change then there's not much i can really do, so you've been warned - this is just a temp fix (or so the intention goes) after all.

And one last thing to note, if you've set in_dshow to handle wav files then you are going to have more issues (since it then depends on the order the plug-ins have been loaded as to which will handle the wav files first) - point made since associating wav to in_dshow is one of the recommended workarounds - ie. it's probably best to remove ;WAV from the in_dshow extension list, and re-select wav in the (default) in_wave 3.11 extension list, if you intend to use this new workaround.

Changes:
v1.0.1 - fixes high cpu usage bug (mainly with modern skins)
v1.0.2 - localisation support of the config dialog primarily
v1.0.3 - fixed in_wav.lng not being correctly removed if used
v1.0.4 - u-law type handling disabled as (should be) correctly handled in in_wave (add ulaw=1 into [in_wave] section in winamp.ini to revert)
v1.1 - will now forward MPEG Audio files renamed to .wav to in_mp3 + minor localisation updates + wrapper only runs under 5.5+ clients
v1.1.1 - fixed dialogs/messages not using unicode strings in all cases
v1.2 - fixed config reset not working correctly + %family & %type% support for better file extension handling in explorer + minor code optimisations for dll size reduction + minor lang update
v1.3 - fixed some compatibility issues with mp3 embedded wav files

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 00:50   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Moving this from TS to Discussion :-)
Old 5th March 2007, 09:35   #12
kzuse

Okay - great work! Now it works for MP3-WAVs and also for some other codecs.

But I have another idea. Why don't you just use Windows' ACM handler to decode the files? Then it ONLY depends on which codecs the user has installed, and you don't need any list which types to pass to in_wave.trb and which not to.

I think the old in_wave did it similar.

And another issue: what about people who don't have any MPEG Layer 3 ACM codec installed (as with some Win 98 machines)? For those, maybe in_mp3 should be used...

But I know - this is an a little bit sophisticated issue. Maybe for one of the next WA versions. It would mean that you can

- play WAV files with ANY codec, as long as this codec is present in the Windows ACM manager
- play WAV files with MP3 codec even if NO SUCH codec is present (-> in_mp3)
- also play uncompressed WAV files up to 64 bit/smpl, a thing that has NOT been possible with the old in_wave...

Sweet dreams....^^

Don't get me wrong - these are just suggestions for making it EVEN BETTER - for now your wrapper is a great solution!!!!

Best regards,
kzuse
Old 5th March 2007, 10:00   #13
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

I'd rather have winamp strip RIFF header from mp3 files on load automatically and not notify the user.

Stupid idea anyway.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 11:26   #14
kzuse

Modifying files without notifying the user is always a bad idea. For me such behavior is a "k.o." criteria not to use this program...

Then, better leave it as is... DrO's Waveform wrapper works fine!
Old 5th March 2007, 11:27   #15
Chris Diack

Can Winamp display the same information saved in Cooledit/Adobe as per the attached illustration, so that it displays "Artist - Title" format?
Attached Images
File Type: gif cooledit - winamp pic.gif (69.6 KB, 800 views)
Chris Diack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 11:41   #16
kzuse

It does, doesn't it

//EDIT: Sorry, no it does instead display the "Display title" field. That's the purpose of this field I think

//EDIT2: When testing this, I just noticed that these info fields are stored at the end of the file in an extra chunk. And Winamp plays these bytes as wave Data!!!! Please fix this (only play the waveform unto the size of the data chunk which is indicated in the header - not till the end of file! It can be heard as a "click" at the end of the file, if such extra info is present!
Old 5th March 2007, 11:58   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by kzuse
Why don't you just use Windows' ACM handler to decode the files? Then it ONLY depends on which codecs the user has installed, and you don't need any list which types to pass to in_wave.trb and which not to.

I think the old in_wave did it similar.
in_wav.trb is the old in_wave, just modified slightly
(note, we only have part of the source code, but not all)

Quote:

And another issue: what about people who don't have any MPEG Layer 3 ACM codec installed (as with some Win 98 machines)? For those, maybe in_mp3 should be used...
Tough shit, I guess :-p Then we'll just have to tell them to install an mp3 acm codec (support for Win9x is going to be dropped totally soon anyway).

DrO doesn't have in_wave 3.x or in_mp3 source code, at least not at the moment, so he did what he could with old in_wave 2.x

Quote:
I just noticed that these info fields are stored at the end of the file in an extra chunk. And Winamp plays these bytes as wave Data!!!! Please fix this (only play the waveform unto the size of the data chunk which is indicated in the header - not till the end of file! It can be heard as a "click" at the end of the file, if such extra info is present!
Is this happening with the default in_wave 3.x, or with in_wav.trb, or both?
Old 5th March 2007, 12:08   #18
Chris Diack

In my case no "clicks" at all.
Old 5th March 2007, 12:23   #19
DrO

kzuse: further to the comments from Egg and the main notes that go with the wrapper post a few up, the wrapper uses the old in_wave dll (not the code) and i've had to add in a override handler for detection of wav files to test the format of the file and if it matches currently one of the 4 stated types (2 x mp3, dsp-ts and creative one) then it'll indicate to winamp to use the old in_wave/wrapper otherwise it will let it through.

i already had plans to allow for specifying the format types that the wrapper will handle (already have a full list of them from the platform sdk so isn't much of an issue). but really, this is just intended as a temp workaround before a native fix is directly implemented for the acm support for anything that libsndfile can't support (assuming we ever get around to doing it, heh)

craig: aye, that would make more sense but we all know what people get like when files are modified without permission. i'm sure we'll find a proper way to get it handled without the need for the wrapper/old in_wave/etc at some point

Chris: no idea since i don't know how they are storing that data since wav files aren't really designed to contain any metadata (though i did notice there were a few possible tag blocks which might be abused for such a use). really having a working file to work with would help (though all depends if it's a file that in_wave 3.x plays or if it's a wrapper played one)

-daz
Old 5th March 2007, 17:21   #20
kzuse

Thank you very much for your posts. Now I understand the difficulties. But for a temp solution, this wrapper is fine!

To the other problem: I have several files whith those extra chunks (LIST etc.). With some of them, the clicks cannot be heard, I think it's because they are 16 bit files. The ASCII Values don't fall into values which have high sample numbers/"voltages".

Example file: http://home.arcor.de/ggabi/pub/ls_insert_neu.wav

The clicks CAN be heard on files which are 8-bit:
Example file: http://home.arcor.de/ggabi/pub/test8bit.wav

You will not only hear a CLICK but even a large "chop" at the end. It happens with the new in_wave, with the wrapper in_wav, but NOT with the old in_wave (when using this one ONLY).

Maybe you can reproduce and fix it at some time.

Best regards,
|<zuse
Old 5th March 2007, 18:29   #21
Chris Diack

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

Having a working file to work with would help (though all depends if it's a file that in_wave 3.x plays or if it's a wrapper played one)

-daz [/B]
Herewith a file to look at and a quote from Cooledits help file

Quote:
You can embed extra user information in Windows .wav files using the RIFF LIST INFO and DISP type 1 formats. Store summary information such as who played what, who was the engineer, etc. Provided that other audio editors support this information, this information remains with your audio file throughout its lifetime.
Rename attached extension (.bmp) to .wav
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 440 hz tone.bmp (8.8 KB, 777 views)
Old 5th March 2007, 18:42   #22
DrO

ta, well it seemed to show up some info using the 3.x in_wave but will help for adding it into the wrapper (unless i just pass on the requests to the 3.x in_wave)

-daz
Old 5th March 2007, 22:33   #23
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The Wrapper is working just fine, well done, DrO.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2007, 16:02   #24
DrO

uploaded a v1.0.1 now that we found a way to consistantly reproduce the high cpu usage issue with 1.0 (is a shame we didn't know how to do that before the 5.5 EP was released as my attempt at a fix was what was needed, doh)

-daz
Old 5th January 2009, 20:50   #25
DrO

uploaded a v1.0.2 which is functionally the same but adds in localisation support now that 2009 is the year of localisation (well that's the aim, heh)

-daz
Old 6th January 2009, 06:29   #26
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Year of the localisation? I like this, hehe.

Quote:
(a Koopa request)
But damn Darren, if people read your website, they could get the wrong impression, that you are my slave or something like this.
Old 19th January 2009, 21:26   #27
DrO

a slave to your bug reports, that's for certain
v1.0.3 up which fixes just that, lol

-daz
Old 24th August 2009, 02:27   #28
JJCarter65

Since I installed DrO's Waveform wrapper,works fine. But when closing Winamp I get a memory error message.
Application error
The instruction at "0x00f51011" referenced memory at *0x00f60000*. The memory could not be "read" Click on OK to terminate the program.
JJCarter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 03:08   #29
JJCarter65

Ok I downloaded the newest version 5.56 and the problem is gone. Works great.
JJCarter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 12:53   #30
DrO

as long as it's ok with the current client version then that's all i can hope for though why it was causing an issue on close with an older version is a bit strange.

-daz
Old 28th August 2009, 01:17   #31
RockyRacoon

I'm curious if anyone is seeing this problem with a newly generated WAV file.
RockyRacoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 16:58   #32
DrO

v1.1 released today which works around MPEG audio files with a .wav file extension - the new handling should now pass them onto in_mp3.dll when detected (though the more sensible option is to name the files correctly if possible).

-daz
Old 31st March 2010, 14:05   #33
DrO

v1.1.1 released which fixes some parts of the plug-in not using unicode where needed in the UI at all times and a minor issue where the localised title on the original dialog was reset in some cases. doesn't change functionalilty otherwise.

-daz
Old 25th May 2010, 09:01   #34
DrO

v1.2 released which fixes a config reset issue and changes to make the plug-in work better with Winamp's shell integration (so AUD files have a better description than just Winamp media file). also some code cleanup to sav ~1.5kb from the dll (not much but then the wrapper dll was only 18kb to start with ).

-daz
Old 25th May 2010, 12:31   #35
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Dunno if I understand it corretly, but the Wrapper file is still 34,5kb?

Great release, I like that explorer description for aud files.

It seems, that running daily Essentials Pack builds is the future.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:08   #36
DrO

the size change is with in_wav.dll (the actual wrapper) as the in_wav.trb will not chnage in size as that's the original in_wave.dll so can't be messed with - hopefully that clears things up a bit

-daz
Old 26th May 2010, 11:32   #37
kzuse

What does it mean to install the language file?

I noticed I got German dialogs also if I don't install it...

Is it only a module with the original english resources only, as a starting point for new translations, or what is it for?
Old 26th May 2010, 11:42   #38
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The language file is an English template for translators only. I've translated it already, this is why it's already available in German for you.

Am I best?
Old 27th May 2010, 14:28   #39
kzuse

You definitely are!
Old 15th September 2014, 01:31   #40
Uncertifiable

.wav files not playing

Still having issues with some .wav files not playing. I've tried the various workarounds, loaded Winamp Essentials and followed the instructions (including taking wav out of in_dshow). It appears to be older files that are affected the most, like I took some songs off of an old game disc (Lords of the Realm II) that I found in a sounds folder. Also, some older clips. I don't see a way to post a file here.

I've got Windows 7 Professional (64 bit), and Winamp 5.666.

Uncertifiable

"It's an entirely different kind of flying, all together."

"It's an entirely different kind of flying." - Airplane!
Uncertifiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion