Old 6th November 2007, 02:59   #1
J Wilson

Windows 98

I made a mistake in upgrading to 5.5 recently. Since then, Winamp will not open. I continuously get an error that "the winamp.exe file is linked to missing Shell32.dll:SHGetfolderPathW."

I've poured through the forums, and best guess is that 5.5 doesn't support Windows 98. Now, I know this is a very old operating system. (My hardware is much more advanced,I'm capable of handling Visa, I've just been too $$tight to upgrade my OS) But I'm usually very careful in checking the system requirements on an upgrade, and avoid those which don't support Windows98. I didn't see anything anywehere about the 5.5 upgrade and thought I'd be OK.

I'm not technically intelligent enough to send you everything you ask for (a lot of it is greek to me) but I'm hoping you can at least tell me whee I can go to download an EARLIER version. I can uninstall 5.5 all by myself.

Thanks very much,
Joanne
J Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 03:08   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Winamp 5.5 is not compatible with Win98. The last version that was is Winamp 5.35.

People will now need to go to Winamp Heaven to grab the older version(s).

The 5.35 installer is available there too.

*Note: only the LATEST version is supported here at these forums, so we won't be able to help you with issues that may arise with an older Winamp release.
Quote:
Originally posted by J Wilson
I didn't see anything anywehere about the 5.5 upgrade and thought I'd be OK.
It's in the FAQ, in the What are Winamp's minimum system requirements? section...
Quote:
Minimum system requirements:

* 500MHz Pentium III or comparable
* 64MB RAM
* 15MB Hard Disk Space
* 16bit Sound Card
* Windows 2000
* Internet Explorer 5.01 or higher (for Online Services)
* 1x speed or greater CD Burner (Required for Burning)
* 2x speed or greater CDROM (Required for Ripping)
As you can see, Win2000 at bare minumum is required, but I guess you missed that. No probs though.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 03:31   #3
J Wilson

Previous versions...

THANKS!!!
J Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 18:12   #4
kenshinflyer

That's too bad. Well, I guess I'll be sticking with Winamp 3. I also have Winamp 2.95 installed as well in my Win98 laptop, for loyalty's sake...
kenshinflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 17:36   #5
RichPasco

Windows 98

I imagine I'm one of many who blithely "upgraded" an older Windows 98 computer to Winamp 5.5, only to discover it didn't work and that I needed to re-install 5.35. I now know it's in the FAQ under "System Requirements" but (like many, I assume) I didn't discover that until it was too late.

Maybe it's a little late for this suggestion, but perhaps the installer could check the version of windows it's running on, and at least WARN the user before destroying a running 5.35 installation by overwriting it with a non-functional 5.5 ?

- Rich
RichPasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 18:06   #6
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Re: Windows 98

Quote:
Originally posted by RichPasco
perhaps the installer could check the version of windows it's running on, and at least WARN the user before destroying a running 5.35 installation by overwriting it with a non-functional 5.5 ?
i whole heartedly agree (especially with knowing the reason why it wasn't enabled for 5.5). this is resolved for the 5.51 installer i believe

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 18:18   #7
RichPasco

Re: Re: Windows 98

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
especially with knowing the reason why it wasn't enabled for 5.5
So (please don't keep us in suspense), what was the reason it wasn't enabled for 5.5?
Old 20th November 2007, 03:55   #8
moktoman

Send a message via AIM to moktoman Send a message via Yahoo to moktoman
Re: Windows 98

Quote:
at least WARN the user before destroying a running 5.35 installation by overwriting it with a non-functional 5.5 ?
It is not "destroying" your installation, it is in fact updating the program as one would expect. However, your obsolete operating system is not compatible with the newest version, so it does not work after installation.

It really bugs me when people complain about a modern piece of software not catering to an obsolete operating system...
moktoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 06:50   #9
RichPasco

Re: Re: Windows 98

Quote:
Originally posted by moktoman
It is not "destroying" your installation...
You're playing a semantic game. If a new version doesn't work in an environment where the old version did, then its functionality has been destroyed.
Quote:
It really bugs me when people complain about a modern piece of software not catering to an obsolete operating system...
Feel free to be bugged, but a reasonable installer would warn the user before taking action which would break something that already works.

Also please note that I am not complaining about 5.5--which I'm sure is wonderful for those who can afford such a great system as you feel compelled to boast about. My request was for an installer which recognizes an older, less capable OS before it takes action to destroy functionality.
Old 20th November 2007, 06:55   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

Re: Re: Re: Windows 98

Quote:
So (please don't keep us in suspense), what was the reason it wasn't enabled for 5.5?
Trust me, you really do not want to know.
Apart from the fact that it's somewhere inbetween laughable and cry-able.

As DrO said, the OS check will be working in 5.51
and it will no longer install on Win9x.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 07:21   #11
moktoman

Send a message via AIM to moktoman Send a message via Yahoo to moktoman
Re: Re: Re: Windows 98

Quote:
Also please note that I am not complaining about 5.5--which I'm sure is wonderful for those who can afford such a great system as you feel compelled to boast about.
[/B]
I'm not boasting about a system, I simply pointing out that there are many valid reasons why software developers choose to discontinue the compatibility of their software with outdated operating systems.

Quote:
You're playing a semantic game. If a new version doesn't work in an environment where the old version did, then its functionality has been destroyed.
Point taken.
moktoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 10:13   #12
Win98user

I'm using Windows 98SE and have Winamp 5.34. It (Winamp 5.34) prompted (it was a popup from the player) me there was a newer version 5.5 10th aniversary version. Good thing I checked minimum system requirements before I decided to download.

Windows 98 users should know by now to check the new versions mininum system requirements first, before bothering download of any updates of software.

I have bought other software which is said to run on Windows 98 only to find out some of the new features will only work in Windows XP and up. And it turn out that was the feature for which I bought it.
Win98user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 10:14   #13
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Yes, Windows 98 is not supported. Winamp 5.35 is the last version to support it.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support