Old 14th March 2008, 15:06   #1
SoulSeekerUSA

Paid, Why Ad's?

I paid for winamp pro because I love the program and have been using it from the very beginning but I don't understand why even when you have paid for the program you still get the ads. Could someone from the winamp team please explain this to me.

Thanks.
SoulSeekerUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 15:42   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:

What do I get when I buy a copy of Winamp Pro?

http://www.winamp.com/player/faq#230

When you register your copy of Winamp 5, you will have access to the following features:

* Unrestricted CD Burning — Winamp Pro enables you to burn your favorite music compilations at your computer's full potential. Once registered, Winamp Pro will allow you to burn your Audio CDs at speeds up to 48x, 9 times the speed of Winamp 5.x! (Actual speeds may differ, depending on your computer's specifications.)
* Unrestricted CD Ripping — Buying Winamp Pro enables you to convert all of your favorite music CDs into digital files at you computer's maximum potential. Once registered, Winamp Pro can rip your CDs at speeds up to 48x, 9 times the speed of Winamp 5.x! (Actual speeds may differ, depending on your computer's specifications.)
* MP3 Encoding — With Winamp Pro, you can rip all your favorite music CDs into the industry leading MP3 format. When all your songs are encoded in MP3, it provides you the freedom to play them in all MP3 capable hardware and software media players.
* High Bitrate AACPlus Encoding — With Winamp Pro, you can rip your music CDs into MP4/aacPlus upto 256kbps (limited to 128kbps in the free basic version).
* You support continued development of Winamp!
As you can see, no mention of no adverts, if you didn't need any of the above then you could have carried on with the regular free versions of winamp, or if you don't use any of the online features then you'd also see no adverts, ads are only there in the online sections, it helps support the mega bucks worth of bandwidth that gets served with streaming media etc.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 16:17   #3
SoulSeekerUSA

I understand what I paid for but most other software when you purchase a license remove the adverts. If I just wanted what you stated above I could use many many other FREE software packages to burn convert and listen to audio but as I stated I love winamp and always have I was just curious to why the adverts remain when loyal users like myself spend the money and buy a license. I will always use winamp as long as it does what I want and so far it has.
Old 14th March 2008, 17:23   #4
osmosis
Major Dude

get an adblocker for IE like AdMuncher, since winamp uses IE, it'll block them in it as well. since AdMuncher costs money as well that's kind've a crap solution though.. i think if you wanted you could edit your own hosts file and add the ad sites that winamp uses and block that way, for free. might be a thread about it on here somewhere, you should search it.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 17:30   #5
SoulSeekerUSA

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulSeekerUSA
I understand what I paid for but most other software when you purchase a license remove the adverts. If I just wanted what you stated above I could use many many other FREE software packages to burn convert and listen to audio but as I stated I love winamp and always have I was just curious to why the adverts remain when loyal users like myself spend the money and buy a license. I will always use winamp as long as it does what I want and so far it has.
Thanks, its not really a big deal I just wanted to know why when you pay for the software you still get hit with adverts. But it seems that they really don't have an answer except that its just the way it is.
Old 14th March 2008, 20:22   #6
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Yep, that's the way it is, and you can accept it, or you can use this...

Advertising in Winamp - REMOVE IT! - Guide by the community.

The above hosts file edit also eliminates the banner ads you see at the top of every page at this forum, in addition to all ads within Winamp itself.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 21:49   #7
seyss

well I think it is fair to show ads to help pay bandwidth costs but at least place ads in a decent manner, not in front of the radio stations uglyfying Winamp all over!!
seyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 21:57   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Originally posted by seyss
well I think it is fair to show ads to help pay bandwidth costs but at least place ads in a decent manner, not in front of the radio stations uglyfying Winamp all over!!
Fair or not, decent or not, who cares?
Especially since I just showed you the solution to the "problem".
In case you missed it...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Advertising in Winamp - REMOVE IT! - Guide by the community.

The above hosts file edit also eliminates the banner ads you see at the top of every page at this forum, in addition to all ads within Winamp itself.
If everyone who is bothered by the ads applies that hosts file edit, then there is absolutely NO reason to complain further about the issue, because it becomes a non-issue - it's a MOOT point!
Old 15th March 2008, 14:45   #9
SoulSeekerUSA

Thanks
Old 15th March 2008, 14:46   #10
SoulSeekerUSA

Quote:
Originally posted by seyss
I would agree with you if it was in the free version ONLY but I paid for the pro version and I don't think I should have to get hammered with adverts.
Old 15th March 2008, 15:23   #11
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Here's the situation...

Winamp utilizes the Internet Explorer engine internally. The ads that you see are actually ads within web pages that are utilized/displayed in various online sections within the Winamp application. There is absolutely nothing that the Winamp devs (who deal with Winamp's core components) can do about what ads are displayed online at the respective host site(s) for those external web pages that display within Winamp. Pro or Free... doesn't make a difference. Winamp has no control over what the online content providers decide to include at their websites (including ads).

So, if you examine the hosts file edit, you will see that it blocks certain advertisement URLs. This will eliminate the advertisement problem for everyone if they apply the edit.

In summary...

I pointed you to a solution. Now it's up to you or anyone else to utilize the solution or not. I certainly do.
Nuff said! I'm done! I'm outa here! Bye!
Old 15th March 2008, 16:57   #12
pjn123
Major Dude

AFAIK...Winamp must pay license fees for all the pro extra stuff... encoders & stuff... those money dont even go to them. Small portion might. But I dont know how the pro fee is constructed... so might be totally wrong :P

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 17:32   #13
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulSeekerUSA
I would agree with you if it was in the free version ONLY but I paid for the pro version and I don't think I should have to get hammered with adverts.
You know when you pay $20 for a DVD, you get home, put it in the player and get stuck with adverts and trailers that you can't skip through before you get to the main feature, what do you do then?

Besides, it's hardly 'hammering' you with them is it?, they are relatively small banner adverts in certain sections of the media library ( an optional install by the way)

I see more adverts in both free and paid for things every day in life than I ever see in Winamp.

If they were popping up on every button click or track change I'd be annoyed, but as they don't.....

Mayyyyyybe it's time for a third tier winamp download....

You could have...
Free .. As it is now...
Pro.. get all the rip/burn stuff, but no online media access
Extreme .. get all the above + online media @ premium price = profit

Remember where you heard it first if AOL start this, I want a percentage
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 17:44   #14
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK. I know I said I'm outa here but I gotta reply just once to this...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Mayyyyyybe it's time for a third tier winamp download....

You could have...
Free .. As it is now...
Pro.. get all the rip/burn stuff, but no online media access
Extreme .. get all the above + online media @ premium price = profit

Remember where you heard it first if AOL start this, I want a percentage
ROTFLMAO @Jonesy!!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion