Old 20th September 2008, 21:30   #1
RejZoR

When will you fix m3u icons!??!?!?

This. See the icon on desktop? It has WinAMP icon. But when i doubleclick it i get window with selection on what program to use to open that. And when i do select WinAMP as primary program to open m3u files they change from WinAMP icon to WMP11 icon. And after that i can't change them to anything else. Not even back to WinAMP icon. First when i posted this issue i was assured it was fixed in internal build. After that the very thread just dissapeared. And bug never really got fixed. And it pisses me off because i can't load them with doubleclick unless i want to watch shitty WMP11 icon.
It used to work fine few months ago but now it's all f**ked up.

WinAMP 5.541 and WinVista Home Premium x64 with 6GB of RAM if that makes any difference.
I just want this damn thing to be fixed so i can use taht crappy m3u playlist for my trance mixes.
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 22:58   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Works fine here, on both WinXP sp3 and Vista Ultimate...
though they're both 32bit versions.

Does it make any difference if you run Winamp in XP compatibility mode?

Have you tried going to Default Programs CP -> Associate a file type with a specific program, and changing M3U to Winamp from there?

Or even via: Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> Winamp -> Choose defaults for this program...?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 15:38   #3
RejZoR

I'm not saying i can't launch m3u files with WinAMP. I'm saying i can' change fuckin retarded icon to anything else even if i put a damn nuke on to it.
When it's not associated to anything it's WinAMP icon by default. But when i associate it to WinAMP it turns into WMP11 icon. For what idiotic reason, i have no clue. I'm not a maker of WinAMP. But it totally pisses me off. Thats not WMP11 file and its not aqssociated with it. Why the hell it's WMP11 icon then!? Its so freakin frustrating it's driving me nuts.
Old 21st September 2008, 15:51   #4
RejZoR

Damn crap. I had to erase ALL ".m3u" entries from registry using RegSeeker, using Set default programs and apply WinAMP as default program for everything. And now i finally got dumb icons back. Heh. Thanks anyway.
Old 21st September 2008, 16:54   #5
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Hey buddy,

It is called Winamp, not WinAMP.

Being not accurate with little details like these might cause users some problems at times, although that is not necessarily the case in this instance.

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 21:47   #6
RejZoR

Who gives a shit how i call it. Fix the m********* m3u shit.
Now i have enough of this crap. Clean OS install and whenever i associate m3u with Winamp (happy!??!) it just askes me again next time like it's a new format on my system.
And yes i did ticked use it always for this junk.
Timo to migrate to WMP11 i guess...

EDIT:
Just went for WMP11. Installed Resume plugin (Todae Reprise) and works just the same. Without retarded m3u issues...

EDIT2:
Foobar2k works just fine too. Never liked it, but now it's a better option...

Last edited by RejZoR; 7th October 2008 at 23:02.
Old 8th October 2008, 14:39   #7
RejZoR

Great. The most annoying bug of them all and no one seems to give a damn...
Old 8th October 2008, 21:24   #8
RejZoR

I even made screen capture of the bug in action. I expect this crap to be fixed.

[SkyDrive] screen capture video of m3u bug in action

Winamp 5.541
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
You can see the rest on video.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:49   #9
RejZoR

C'mon, don't tell me i'm the only one who reported this idiotic problem!!?!??!!??!
Old 10th October 2008, 12:39   #10
RejZoR

Bump...
Old 10th October 2008, 15:07   #11
Zero2FiftyIn4

You are the only one. You're alone.

"It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be,
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole,
This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
They're throwing bottles at your house.
Come on, lets go break their arms."
Zero2FiftyIn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 16:21   #12
RejZoR

Winamp version 5.5 doesn't have ANY problems with file associations even with UAC enabled. Not even m3u playlists. Everything works fine. I did my research part, now i expect someone fixes this. You have version 5.5 as basis that works, now find out what you did wrong in latest 5.541 that causes file associations to be f**ked up.

Last edited by RejZoR; 10th October 2008 at 16:37.
Old 10th October 2008, 20:07   #13
RejZoR

Reboot and everything is fucked up again.
God, after 10 years this is the first time i totally hate winamp.
Old 13th October 2008, 06:58   #14
RejZoR

Why is Winamp having such awful problems with filetype associations and no one gives a damn? I mean NO OOOOOONE.
Installed Foobar2000, associated the files and they remained that way. Icon and execution wise. Why Winamp can't no matter what i do with it?
Old 13th October 2008, 07:13   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Because we can't reproduce the problem.
As I said before, m3u icon changes (and file associations in general) work perfectly fine for me on Vista.

Only 2 users out of millions have reported the problem.

The other guy is Pepesoft (Pawel, the guy who maintains the Polish lang pack).
He says he created a new user profile on Vista, and then everything worked ok, but he reckons it's something to do with Windows Media Player...

If either of you can provide any more info to help us reproduce the problem, then we'll take it from there...

Maybe you could export these three reg keys, zip them up, and attach them here?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.m3u
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Media\Winamp\Capabilities\FileAssociations
Old 13th October 2008, 13:00   #16
RejZoR

I trashed Winamp in echange for working Foobar but i'll try again for these 3 keys...
Old 13th October 2008, 16:53   #17
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Yeah, RejZoR, try to be friendly and do what DJ Egg says, instead of saying that you have trashed Winamp - that is not fixing the problem. If you do as he says he may be able to find out what causing the issue, and maybe it can be fixed. Seriously, I know how to give enough information about a problem, heh :P
Kn0tte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 21:03   #18
RejZoR

I've just reinstalled my OS from scratch now (clean install and full update through Windows Update). And all i can say is that Winamp has some serious issues with Vista. There is NO way same problem would repeat on perfectly clean installed OS without any reason.
No way. And again only by Winamp and not Foobar. If i'm the only one getting this crap, then i have to be the least lucky mofo in the whole world.

Here are those 3 reg files:
code:
http://cid-94a12102e5094675.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/wa|_filetypes.zip

This is after i forcebly associated m3u files with WinAMP (icon is of course from WMP11 and again not WinAMP, go figure).

I'm also noo noob in software testing and know how but in this case from what i can see winamp has some crazzy ass internal problems with file associations beyond where i can do anything. I tried manually editing the registry, everything was pointing to the right icons (even doublechecked the icon order inside executable). Also cleared the icon cache. And in the end damn WMP11 icon was stil on top of m3u. Now if i hack half of my OS and still don't get the results, well thats beyond my capabilities and all i can say is that software doesn't work right. Winamp in this case.

Also file association options inside Winamp itself do as much as exactly nothing. That agent crap does like we would say "pickin dim". Nothing. I seriously doubt Winamp has any x64 support what so ever.

EDIT:
Fuck, this does it. I'm not even gonna bother with this shit.
I'm running in loops with exactly the same shit on super clean OS install. Not worth my nerves. Same crap all over like on video that i posted above. You're the ones who actually code the thing, figure it out why is so.
I'm off to Foobar...

Last edited by RejZoR; 13th October 2008 at 21:22.
Old 13th October 2008, 21:56   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, the Enqueue, ListBookmark, open, Play subkeys aren't being created under your "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.PlayList\shell" key.

Try merging the attached reg file (unzip it first).

Note that the reg file is for RejZor ONLY,
as it points to D:\Programs\Winamp\winamp.exe as the path to Winamp.

It also sets "Play" as the default action for playlist types.
and winamp.exe,1 as the icon.

If anyone else has the same problem and wants to try it, then you'll need to edit the .reg file in Notepad first, and manually change the path to winamp.exe etc accordingly.

If it still doesn't work, then yes, I guess we'll need to test this further under Vista 64 (it works fine on Vista 32 for me, heh).
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp.playlist.zip (492 Bytes, 930 views)
Old 13th October 2008, 22:10   #20
RejZoR

This is the one from the "i told you so" series.
I was saying that Winamp is not doing it right for the whole time and all those smart ppl lurking around had something to say against it. Now its clear that there was a bug in Winamp.
It also appears me and the other guy are the only ones that use more than 4GB of RAM because i simply need 64bit OS for that. I mean from the fact no one else reported this.

And yes, your reg file fixed this. WA 5.542 plz...
Old 15th October 2008, 09:33   #21
rpsgc

You're not alone... I have the exact same problem. No, not the exact same problem, mine is worse. I don't even have context menu entries for Winamp. I can't right-click m3u playlists and choose enqueue on Winamp or play on Winamp. Only WMP entries.

Windows Vista x64
Winamp 5.541

Try going to "Default Programs" > "Set your default programs" > Select Winamp and choose "Set this program as default"

Windows was telling me Winamp was default in 62 of 65 file types but all were selected so I tried it and it worked.

rpsgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 16:19   #22
Osmium

I have the same bug. I use:

Windows Vista x64 SP1
Winamp 5.54 or 5.541

This is really annoying bug! Please fix it ASAP.
Osmium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 15:15   #23
RikardRTB

Send a message via ICQ to RikardRTB
iwe got the same problem.

Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 and 4 GB Of memory.
Installed with no UAC
Did not enable the context menu.

Im also gettig this on a laptop with Vista Business x32 1 GB of memory.
UAC Enabled
Context menu disabled.
Tried with context menu enabled, and full install just with no change.

Here are the registry strings:
http://zapy.warzone.nu/filer/vux64/
http://zapy.warzone.nu/filer/vbx86/

The m3u zip fix does the jobb, but still, on fresh install it bugs out.

I do put myself and my laptop with vista business x86 and another laptop with vista ultimate x64 for testing, debugging of the installer.

Just tell me what to do, and ill help you sort this error out.

There is no dazzle for me, im selling one of the laptops and the other one is in for fixing (a friend of mine)
RikardRTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 02:45   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

So it's just for M3U, and not for any other extension?

I assume it's the same for all playlist types (m3u, m3u8, pls, asx, wpl) as they are all covered by the same reg key.

But what about MP3, M4A, WAV, OGG, WMA, AVI, etc?
Are they all working ok?
Old 10th November 2008, 11:19   #25
RikardRTB

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
So it's just for M3U, and not for any other extension?

I assume it's the same for all playlist types (m3u, m3u8, pls, asx, wpl) as they are all covered by the same reg key.

But what about MP3, M4A, WAV, OGG, WMA, AVI, etc?
Are they all working ok?
yeah all other file extensions work, or at least what i know of, the mp3 works and that should mean that those registry edits gets right on install, none of the playlist worked before i added the reg file you provided, removed the shell strings and changed to my dir for winamp that is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\

do you need any other information?
can i launch the winamp installer in debug mode and get a log output?

ill do anything to get it sorted out
because it bugged me when i formated my computer last time also, created a topic but didn't get any response, or if i hijacked another topic, cant remember.

you can mail me offlist or msn/icq/irc
irc is #warzone.nu @ qnet
Old 10th November 2008, 11:56   #26
rpsgc

RikardRTB,

Have you tried doing what I posted above?

Quote:
Try going to "Default Programs" > "Set your default programs" > Select Winamp and choose "Set this program as default"

Windows was telling me Winamp was default in 62 of 65 file types but all were selected so I tried it and it worked.

rpsgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 13:03   #27
RikardRTB

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar
RikardRTB,

Have you tried doing what I posted above?
the problem for ME is SOLVED, what we are trying to find out now is why the installer doesnt add some registry strings under the installation.

but thx anyway.
Old 16th November 2008, 20:17   #28
RikardRTB

so, what happen with this? do you guys want any help or not?
Old 18th November 2008, 04:38   #29
Spirit Wolfe

Send a message via ICQ to Spirit Wolfe
I never had a problem with installing WINAMP v5.541 or otherwise... However, here's a thought...instead of screwing around with the registry entries first did anybody ever try going under the Winamp Pro 'General Preferences' -> 'File Types' setting and checking the Tick box: 'Restore File Preferences at Winamp Startup' and/or having the three settings under the 'Explorer Settings' area of the 'File Types' area checkbox ticked??? Hmmm??? Just a thought... I do not use an 64-bit version of Windows...but I am quite sure that Winamp 5.541 works (almost, if not) flawless under Vista/XP 64-bit version of Windows.

Inspiration A momentary sensation of stupidity!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ORIGINAL Spirit Wolfe
Spirit Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 17:11   #30
RikardRTB

Quote:
Originally posted by Spirit Wolfe
I never had a problem with installing WINAMP v5.541 or otherwise... However, here's a thought...instead of screwing around with the registry entries first did anybody ever try going under the Winamp Pro 'General Preferences' -> 'File Types' setting and checking the Tick box: 'Restore File Preferences at Winamp Startup' and/or having the three settings under the 'Explorer Settings' area of the 'File Types' area checkbox ticked??? Hmmm??? Just a thought... I do not use an 64-bit version of Windows...but I am quite sure that Winamp 5.541 works (almost, if not) flawless under Vista/XP 64-bit version of Windows.
ofc i have tried it, but it doesn't matter , it has always work t when installing at the first time, so on some systems there are a problem, it can be driver related or what so ever, anything and everything can fuck up a windows installation. =)
Old 25th November 2008, 20:50   #31
chrisTM

m3u icons

I have noticed some related unusual behaviors with m3u icons and file associations running winamp 5.3.5.1305 on vista sp1. Perhaps they are related to the newer version postings. I am unable to access m3u online streams by directly clicking on the associated m3u icon. Winamp will not retain m3u association in its file extension list, even though vista system program defaults properly indicate winamp as default. These m3u streams do load properly from within the winamp program itself through the proper radial button located on the player skin, however, the icon shown is not the standard bolt, but is the older greek-looking symbol I seem to remember from winamp 3 (I may be mistaken on origin). I am inclined to leave things as they are as I experience no other working problems with my system, unless proven otherwise. Perhaps study of this behavior might be of help in further application debugging.

Please let me know.

chrisTM out.
chrisTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 21:44   #32
RikardRTB

Re: m3u icons

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisTM
I have noticed some related unusual behaviors with m3u icons and file associations running winamp 5.3.5.1305 on vista sp1. Perhaps they are related to the newer version postings. I am unable to access m3u online streams by directly clicking on the associated m3u icon. Winamp will not retain m3u association in its file extension list, even though vista system program defaults properly indicate winamp as default. These m3u streams do load properly from within the winamp program itself through the proper radial button located on the player skin, however, the icon shown is not the standard bolt, but is the older greek-looking symbol I seem to remember from winamp 3 (I may be mistaken on origin). I am inclined to leave things as they are as I experience no other working problems with my system, unless proven otherwise. Perhaps study of this behavior might be of help in further application debugging.

Please let me know.

chrisTM out.
yeah exactly, try the registry add that egg posted some posts ago that will surley help you as it did for me.
Old 26th November 2008, 00:04   #33
chrisTM

m3u fix

So, the procedure to implement the fix is, if my file path for Winamp is C:..., edit the D: of the fix to C: and merge to registry? If so, I will implement and let you know of success.
Thanks again.

chrisTM out.
chrisTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 09:17   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes. Open the .reg file in Notepad first, and change the path to winamp.exe accordingly,

eg. from D:\Programs\... to C:\Program Files\....
Old 26th November 2008, 21:52   #35
badadjective

I just found this topic and have been having problems with Winamp file associations and icon issues for a long time, through several Winamp versions, and several Windows versions.

I just got a new system with Vista Home Premium x64 and Winamp IS DESTROYING MY PATIENCE. This issue is clearly no limited to 2 users and clearly the correct registry keys are not being created.

I've been a loyal Winamp user for 10 years, but seriously, your developers need to get their act together and solve this issue once and for all so users don't have to go around modifying their own registries.

Winamp is a wonderful piece of software and I don't want to switch, but when I can't open files correctly, it really takes away from the experience.

Anyone remember the bug that's been around for years where Winamp refuses to launch for Audio CD's no matter how many times you tick the checkbox in Preferences? Well, that bug is still around for many of us and for some reason you have refused to fix that too.

Please, please, I don't know if this is funny to you guys but why can't you fix these problems? Is it really that hard? Or do you just not care?
badadjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 22:07   #36
RikardRTB

Quote:
Originally posted by badadjective
I just found this topic and have been having problems with Winamp file associations and icon issues for a long time, through several Winamp versions, and several Windows versions.

I just got a new system with Vista Home Premium x64 and Winamp IS DESTROYING MY PATIENCE. This issue is clearly no limited to 2 users and clearly the correct registry keys are not being created.

I've been a loyal Winamp user for 10 years, but seriously, your developers need to get their act together and solve this issue once and for all so users don't have to go around modifying their own registries.

Winamp is a wonderful piece of software and I don't want to switch, but when I can't open files correctly, it really takes away from the experience.

Anyone remember the bug that's been around for years where Winamp refuses to launch for Audio CD's no matter how many times you tick the checkbox in Preferences? Well, that bug is still around for many of us and for some reason you have refused to fix that too.

Please, please, I don't know if this is funny to you guys but why can't you fix these problems? Is it really that hard? Or do you just not care?

Well you have the patch a few posts up, edit that one and run it and it will fix your problems.

The funny thing is that i have said that i can be to help with 2 computers or even 3 computers that have the same problem and still aren't getting any response from egg. :/
Old 26th November 2008, 22:20   #37
badadjective

The patch only fixed one of my file association problems, but I still think that users shouldn't have to run registry edits to fix something that has clearly been a bug for a really, really long time. You should be able to select which files you want Winamp to open in preferences and they should stick. NONE of my files open properly, not just the M3U bug. And the Winamp Agent is a dud. It does nothing to maintain file associations. And trying to associate Audio CD's with Winamp requires a team of engineers.

I'm sorry to say that after all the troubles and time I've spent trying to fix Winamp issues I give up. It isn't worth it. I need iPod support which is why I use Winamp in the first place (most of us will agree that iTunes is garbage). If I can find a way to get free iPod support in Windows Media Player I'm just going to use that. Enough is enough. Email me when the developers get their act together.
badadjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 14:21   #38
BlackWidow_rsa

i have the exact same problem as rejzor posted above, but with a little differance. i set file assosiation to winamp through winamp itself and through vista's default programs.

But my icons are WMP11 icons and they have no assosiation attatched to them. i have to specify the default program each time open the .m3u file. but when i specify any other program to it, it opens and everything works.

i also noticed the problem Doesnt happen to v5.53, only 5.54 and above. Sticking to 5.53 now, but would really like to use newer versions. could you guys have a quick go over the code (i know that sucks, hate doing it myself) and fix it asap.

OS = Vista Ulti SP1
--EDIT: i have 32Bit Vista. So this problem definitly isnt 64bit only--

regards,
bw
http://forums.winamp.com/newreply.ph...readid=297650#
BlackWidow_rsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 00:26   #39
AirJonn

I've had the same problem for like a year now. I was happy to find the patch 5 minutes ago...but it didn't work for me.
Yes i've edited it....

I run Vista SP1 Ultimate x64
I never had WMP installed, I stripped it from the installation disc, could this be a problem the patch dont work ??

Clean version of Vista, here's what happened: I installed winamp lite, all icons were visible, both mp3 and m3u.
But m3u files did not open automaticaly with winamp even tho i installed the agent for the first time...
So i did m3u > open with > winamp
And boom... the m3u icon disappeared and i can;t get it back... It all works yes, but the icon would be nice...

Im willing to help in any way, pls let me know if you need any further info to fix this problem!
AirJonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:37   #40
masutrix

I also got the same problem, the reg-file didn't fix it. It seems that it is a bug and needs to be repaired by the Winamp-Developers. Please make a fix, couse i'm going mad about this problem. I think more people have troubles with it, but they don't reply on this forum. I know i didn't register on this forum before, only for this bug i did !

UPDATE: I just figured out a workaround for this bug.
Rightclick on the winamp shortcut and choose Run as administrator. Then in winamp go to the options, preferences, Shell options. Then mark all the option there. This makes winamp add registry strings. For now my problem is fixed. I did restart my computer and it's still fixed after restart. (i'm sorry for my bad english, i'm just a simple dutch guy Haha)

Last edited by masutrix; 23rd January 2009 at 02:26.
masutrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support