Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 29th October 2006, 06:09   #1
clementj

Play button at bottom of Media Library&CD tracks (ML 'Enqueue & Play' plugin v2.1)

The play button at the bottom of the Media Library window wipes out the current playlist and starts playing the selected track. I would like to change this to Enqueue and play immediately. Is there any way of doing this. Or is there any way to simply turn off this button?

Similarly selecting a CD track does the same thing. I would also like to change this behavior to Enque without playing immediately. Is there any way to make this change. I have looked at all of the preferences and can not find anything to do this.
clementj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 22:04   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

There's currently no way to Enqueue+Play from the media library, but that's all about to change shortly, with DrO's next post in this thread ;-)

To Enqueue only, click the Enqueue button instead of the Play button :-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 23:21   #3
clementj

Yes, I realize that the Enqueue button the job. My problem is that novice users will be doing this, and the play button is seductively labeled so as to tempt them to use it. But there is no indication that it wipes out the current playlist. Now if I could change it to do not push, or eliminate it, that would be a reasonable fix. At present I can hide it below the bottom of the screen, but that can be easily undone. The CD enqueue is a much more serious issue. I need soemething that can be easily used by a novice programmer. I am looking forward to DrO's next post. I can readily modify the skins if the information for doing that is given.
Old 29th October 2006, 23:30   #4
DrO

ML Enqueue and Play v2.1
updated post: 17/12/2013

download v2.1

This will attempt to add an 'enqueue and play' option to most of the right click menus which the native media library plugins (ml_local, ml_bookmarks, ml_playlists, ml_history and ml_disc) handle. Currently ml_wire and ml_pmp are not handled (since one i can't hook and the other one needs more time and i need sleep ).

It does not add keyboard shortcuts and cannot be set as the default action (since i've not even looked into if that's possible to do or not) but you at least get enqueue+play menu entries which is better than before.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 02:33   #5
clementj

Thank you, this is a start. This works very well. Now at this point I still need to subvert or rather change the "play" menu on the media library to incorporate the new functionality. I have been totally unable to find any examples of how this might be done, or how to make any changes in the buttons on the media library.
Old 30th October 2006, 03:13   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You can't change the buttons. Play is Play (wipes the playlist, and plays the selection), Enqueue is Enqueue (adds files to end of current playlist).

The only thing you can modify is the default double-click/Enter action on selected files or nodes, to Play or Enqueue (via: Winamp > Prefs > Media Library > Library Options tab), and whether to play/add all search results or just the selected ones (by checking/unchecking the option underneath).

As DrO said, at least we now have an "Enqueue & Play" option with this plugin
Old 30th October 2006, 05:32   #7
clementj

I realize the existing buttons can not be changed, but I am looking for an example of a skin that can change the existing library window. For example it is possible to program the buttons in the main window through a modern skin. What I am looking for is an example of programming the media library window, so I can set up my own buttons. Apparently from what I can see the existing skins never change the media library buttons, so either this possibility does not exist, is extremely difficult, or the details have not been released.

I realize that Winamp has grown very organically, and the documentation has not quite kept up with it. I would also like to make a button that just loads tracks from files, but the closest I have come is one that brings up the three options to load from the internet, files, or folders. I suspect the "incantation" is there, but it has not been put into the apprentice wizards manual.
Old 30th October 2006, 12:02   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, not sure. You might have better luck asking in the Modern Skins forum.
Old 30th October 2006, 13:12   #9
DrO

all of the buttons in the media library especially in the views are hard-coded in the plugins. as such any changes either need to be hacked in (such as ml_enqplay is doing for the menus) or natively.

can i ask which "play" menu on the media library you're actually refering to

-daz
Old 30th October 2006, 15:15   #10
clementj

When you click on the left hand pane on local media the right hand pane displays the local tracks and along the bottom of the right hand pane are 4 buttons. Play, Enqueue, MusicMagic Mix, and on the far right ShowInfo. Apparently I can get rid of MusicMagic Mix by removing a plugin, but that is just a minor nuisance. The Play button is the one I would like to remove, occlude, subvert or otherwise render inoperable in its current form. The nice Enqueue & play hack would be quite acceptable as an alternative to Clear & play.

After I sent the last post I did quite a bit of looking around and concluded from one other list that skinning this cat was impossible. I have added your site to my favorites and will be looking at your contributions after I get some profitable work done.
Old 30th October 2006, 23:16   #11
jph6t
Major Dude

ML Enqueue and Play v1.1

DrO just released v1.1 of ML Enqueue & Play

This plugin is definite keeper.
I don't know why none of us thought to ask for this feature before!
jph6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 23:25   #12
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by clementj
My problem is that novice users will be doing this, and the play button is seductively labeled so as to tempt them to use it. But there is no indication that it wipes out the current playlist. Now if I could change it to do not push, or eliminate it, that would be a reasonable fix.
I think clementj is right. The ML's play button + novice users is asking for problems. It'd be nice to have a way to exercise more control over this button and/or be able to disable it. Perhaps another aspect of the elusive "Party Mode"
Quote:
Originally posted by clementj At present I can hide it below the bottom of the screen, but that can be easily undone.
Not so. You can lock Winamp’s size & position using dllmain’s Freeze plugin.

Last edited by jph6t; 30th October 2006 at 23:42.
Old 30th October 2006, 23:53   #13
jph6t
Major Dude

Context Menu Item?

If you are not using the 'Jump To File' (JTF) "Shell Options" tab to create your context menu items, then you can add the enqueue & play option via Windows. Creating menu items for a given file type is easy (once you have the syntax for the "Action" field):
  • En&queue && Play in Winamp
  • "C:\Personal Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe" /ADD "\\QUEUE" "%1"

Last edited by jph6t; 31st October 2006 at 02:39.
Old 31st October 2006, 03:00   #14
clementj

Another piece of the "party mode" would be to prevent accidental disruption of a playing track by double clicking on another track in the playlist. This could be a simple interlock between the play mode and the ability to start playing another track. The user would be forced to push the STOP button or PAUSE button before starting another track. This is also on my wishlist. A "simple" alternative would be to have a the usual "do you really want to do this" message. For most practical puposes the unwanted functions merely need to be hidden from plain view, and might only be available by right clicking.
Old 26th November 2006, 17:16   #15
PatrickNeil

Predixis was able to add their mix button next to the enqueue button. If I could just change that button's function to point to enqueue and play it would be very nice. The predixis people must just be more skillful in their coding.

Patrick
PatrickNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 17:21   #16
DrO

they're not since the predixis button is hard coded into ml_local's dialog resources. however that's a good point about having that as the enq+play button and is something i can look at (though it means i have to use my far more inferior coding skills to override the button, rename it and alter it's action response compared to those lovely predixis guys who have most of it done for them )

-daz
Old 27th November 2006, 01:52   #17
clementj

I doubt that DrO has inferior programming skills. In either case I would still like to subvert, hide, or disable the Play button. Just making it disappear would be quite acceptable. I have already figured out how to skin a constant delay between songs and have an on top stop at end of current track button, and how to get rid of unwanted single key commands (with a little help from friends). So I am on the way to getting what I need. But subverting the Play button and subverting the Play right click menu item is beyond my knowledge.
Old 3rd December 2006, 18:52   #18
jph6t
Major Dude

ML Enqueue and Play v1.1a

DrO just released v1.1a of ML Enqueue & Play

THANK YOU DrO!

Last edited by jph6t; 3rd December 2006 at 19:35.
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:16   #19
PatrickNeil

Yay. No button though. DrO is still fabulous.

Patrick
PatrickNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:17   #20
DrO

the new build is just a bug fix one for an issue with trying to do enq+play when the current song is paused. i'm sadly doing a bug scrub on the jtfe project at the moment so new features in any plugins will have to come after that's all been done

-daz
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:59   #21
jph6t
Major Dude

Feature Request - integration with JTF options

I notice that the two means in Winamp to enque & play … selecting
  1. “Enqueue & Play in Winamp” on the right-click context menu of a music file
  2. “Enqueue and play selection” on the right-click menu of a song in the ML
... behave differently.

For most, the behavior of the file menu version (#1) is driven by the options on the “Shell Options” tab (in the JTF Preferences window)

The behavior of the ML version (#2), made available by installing DrO’s
“ML Enqueue & Play” plugin, acts the same way all the time … the way #1 would
if NONE of the options circled in the attached screen shot were selected.

Would it be possible, for consistency sake and functionality sake, to have ML Enqueue & Play’s ML command pull the circled options from the “Shell Options” tab of JTFE?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen shot.jpg (50.7 KB, 913 views)
Old 10th December 2006, 22:22   #22
clementj

After thinking about it, the play button should really play a file in place. At least that is implied by the name. I suspect that this is not actually possible, but it can to a certain extent be faked by enqueueing, starting play, then deleting the entry. And Yes, there is certainly a problem that traditionally it meant clear, enqueue, and play. The meaning that I have proposed is actually what most other players do, and there is some value to keeping similar features named similarly.
Old 24th March 2007, 00:20   #23
jph6t
Major Dude

ML Enqueue & Play v1.1b

DrO has released ML Enqueue & Play v1.1b

This new release offers no new functionality or fixes other than improved
compatibility with newer versions of Winamp ... specifically unicode.

No known bugs with this plugin I don't think, just the one feature request:Thank you DrO!
Old 5th January 2009, 22:02   #24
DrO

Just released v1.4 of ML Enqueue & Play which is primarily a localisation support update for the plugin (see here for more information.

as for the future of the plugin, i've a few things in the box that i think will give a decent 2.0 upgrade of this plugin and should resolve some of the issues people have had with the menu only implementation it provides (but will just have to wait for some dev time to arise so it can be worked on )

-daz
Old 13th January 2009, 02:34   #25
DrO

from some testing it looks like we'll be able to have enqueue and play as a default action for enter or double-click to complement the play and enqueue options on library options page in the media library prefs

just now need to add in support for the ml plugins other than ml_bookmarks (used to test things with), so am hoping to have a 2.0 beta (or something like that) out soon

only thing i will say is that it is likely this addition will be 5.5+ specific just because it's easier for me to implement (and really the old winamp client versions need to die now).

-daz
Old 13th January 2009, 07:34   #26
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
only thing i will say is that it is likely this addition will be 5.5+ specific just because it's easier for me to implement (and really the old winamp client versions need to die now).
HA Ha Ha DrO... You make it sound like 5.55 is a giant rewrite. Is it a giant rewrite?
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:20   #27
DrO

nah, this change has nothing to do with 5.55 and there's only a 5.5+ restriction since i make use of the localisation apis i intorduced to allow for the easy hooking that was needed to get enter/double-clikc overriding working.

-daz
Old 14th January 2009, 01:43   #28
DrO

v2.0 final released 20/05/2010 -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....28#post2665028

ML Enqueue & Play 2.0 Beta 1

Here's a development build of the plugin which implements keyboard enqueue and play handling either via Ctrl+Shift+Enter or if the default Enter/Double-Click option is set to enqueue and play (preferences -> media library -> 'library options' tab).

2.0 Beta 1 (23/11/2009)
2.0 Alpha 7 (22/11/2009)
2.0 Alpha 6 (22/11/2009)
2.0 Alpha 3 (18/01/2009)
2.0 Alpha 2 (18/01/2009)
2.0 Alpha 1 (14/01/2009)

Changes:
From Alpha 1 to Alpha 2
  • Fixed enqueue and play not starting if the playlist was already open
  • Better control of the dialogs it will attempt to control (hoping this will prevent it from randomly crashing)
From Alpha 2 to Alpha 3
  • Fixes support for setting enqueue & play as default action when using a language pack (media library page)
From Alpha 3 to Alpha 6
  • Added winampUninstallPlugin(..) support
  • Fixed random crash with a modern skin loaded and some of the menus
  • Added some additional checks to prevent enq+play menus being incorrectly added (now playing plugin was affected)
  • Fixed race condition preventing enq+play not working in all cases (affected my Vista machine)
  • Added better handling of enter/double-clicking in the ML tree (probably not complete/correct but does ml_local and ml_bookmark ok)
  • Internal work done towards completing localisation support
  • Default enter/double-click action is now highlighted in the menus (has shown up how poorly implemented some of Winamp's menus are...)
From Alpha 6 to Alpha 7
  • Fixed ml_wire support (should work ok in subscription & download views
  • Now won't run on any Winamp client below 5.5
  • Fixed issue where default action was sometimes overriding what was already specified
From Alpha 7 to Beta 1
  • Implemented ml_disc support (should now cover all of the required plugins - ml_pmp is implemented but not 100% correct afaik)

Notes:

(1) This build should work correctly with the following media library plugins:
  • ml_bookmarks
  • ml_history
  • ml_playlists
  • ml_wire
  • ml_local
  • ml_disc
(2) It may not work correctly with the following media library plugins currently:
  • ml_pmp
(3) Some of the menus have had Ctrl+Shift+Enter added to them even though they are not valid/supported so remember to take that into consideration.

(4) I have not done any work in the handling of the default enter/double-click/ctrl+shift+enter action in the media library tree so if it works then that's less work for me but otherwise i know about it (though may be a post 2.0 feature)

(5) ml_playlists has a weird native behaviour in that if there is no selection in a playlist view, it will add all of the playlist. as such ml_enqplay will try to follow this behaviour (mainly because that's the only way to have things working at all)

(6) ml_local support is classified as partial since it will not handle the upper panes in a multi-pane view. the bottom pane or the single list view will work (thankfully they use the same dialog). i've still to see if getting the upper area to work is going to be feasible

(7) just because there is a menu with an enqueue & play option does not mean it is 'easy' to add in the matched keyboard/double-click handler (the playlist view in ml_playlists was a pig as the upper panes in ml_local are likely to be to implement). so please don't make comments relating to it - if it was easy this would have been done ages ago

(8) requires 5.5+ for the new features to work correctly so you've been warned if you try to use it on anything before then!

Enjoy (will see how long it takes me to make a newer build - is a bit like the old days when i was really active coding, heh)

-daz
Old 14th January 2009, 11:17   #29
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Nice, I like testing alphas and betas. Testing and edits to follow.

P.S. Either Nunzio or yourself (if you can) need to fix the mime types on the server, the 7-zip archive is shown as text/html.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 06:34   #30
shux

Thanks for this plugin! I've tried 2.0 Alpha 1 and found the following problem.

If the default Enter/Double-Click option is set to enqueue and play, and the playlist is empty, then double-clicking on an item in the Media Library will only enqueue the song, but not play it. However, if the playlist is not empty, then double-clicking on the song will enqueue and play it.

Once again, thank you =).

Update: Right-clicking on an item and selecting "Enqueue and play" has the same results.
shux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 10:40   #31
DrO

thanks for the report, i think i know what is causing that - was a change made to prevent it opening the 'open/play files' dialog when nothing was added. will look to fix that issue shortly and do some more additions to the plugin as well.

-daz
Old 16th January 2009, 23:26   #32
J_Darnley
Forum King

Well I finally got around to testing it but I couldn't do much. Winamp will crash when I try to change between smart views or if I try and look at the Local Media section in the prefs.
Error details:
AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.5.5.2326 ModName: ml_enqplay.dll ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000251e

I then installed the most recent version of the error reporting system I could find to create the attached report. I will try it again in a moment on clean installs and clean+gen_crasher.

Oddly, after adding gen_crasher, I could not repeat the crash when changing smart views.

[EDIT] Attachment updated to a 7-zip archive of the two separate reports. report1.zip is my "dirty" install, report2.zip is a clean one.

The crash happens on clean installs with the same details. I could not provide you a report from 5.541 because gen_crasher won't load with it, perhaps I need to find an older beta.

[EDIT2] That did work either, I guess they are written to only run in betas.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z reports.7z (68.1 KB, 453 views)

Last edited by J_Darnley; 16th January 2009 at 23:46.
Old 17th January 2009, 00:37   #33
DrO

ok, will have a look through and see what that shows up tomorrow (i'm hoping)

-daz
Old 18th January 2009, 17:52   #34
DrO

have posted an alpha 2 build in the post here. am hoping that will resolve the issue you're seeing J_Darnley especially if you were seeing the crashes in the preferences as well. if not will have to go for plan 2 (which i've no idea about at the moment, heh). and gen_crasher only works with a beta release of winamp.exe (needs an explictly exported function which is only built in those builds of it).

-daz
Old 18th January 2009, 20:13   #35
DrO

and alpha3 now uploaded as per info in link in last post

-daz
Old 18th January 2009, 21:28   #36
J_Darnley
Forum King

Brilliant! No more crashing in the Prefs. or when I change Smart Views (but that was a one time thing).

One small problem now is that it won't enq. & play. It enqueues my selection but it won't play it. I tried from Local Media, Playlists and Bookmarks but they all fail to be played. Based on one mention in your change log, I tried with the Playlist open and closed. This worked in alpha1, alpha 2 also doesn't work.

I just tried Ctrl + Shift + Enter from Playlists, Local Media and Bookmarks and this works! It enqueues the file then plays it.

Enq & Play doesn't work from the tree (selecting a smart view) nor does the hotkey. It experiences the same problem as above, files are enqueued but not played.

Enq & Play doesn't work from the top panes in a smart view either. Enqueue, no play. If this what you meant in point 6? The appearance would be easy but the function hard?

I will now check these on a clean 5.541.
[EDIT] The behaviour appears to be the same.

Old 18th January 2009, 22:49   #37
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Enq + Play may not work for the root entries, this is a known issue and listed by DrO above (4).

Enq + Play using it as default enter/doubleclick action or via the hotkey ctrl+shift+enter (<-- when it's not set as default action, otherwise this combination cannot work, because if enqplay is default action, it will be enter instead of ctrl+shift+enter) is working fine for me in Bookmarks, Playlists and History (haven't touched local yet, will do tomorrow)
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 10:57   #38
DrO

J_Darnley: i think i've just managed to reproduce and fix the issue related to "I tried from Local Media, Playlists and Bookmarks but they all fail to be played." - was only able to duplicate the issue on my Vista box where it would enqueue but internally it didn't know that files had been added so have moved things around which i hope will now work ok.

Am trying to get a new version released soon to resolve a few other issues with the plugin as i'd like a non alpha/beta version before the end of the year

-daz
Old 22nd November 2009, 01:10   #39
DrO

and alpha6 now uploaded as per info in link in this post (sorry but the 7z association is still messed up it seems)

-daz
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:12   #40
DrO

and alpha7 now uploaded as per info in link in this post (should resolve ml_wire issues)

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion