Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 28th March 2009, 23:25   #1
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Hey.
I have been getting a issue during the last few days where the text in the ML gets bold after clicking on the "Audio" tab under "Local Media" (after that everything I click on gets in bold text). After trying to remove different plugins to try to get rid of the issue, I tried removing gen_jumpex.dll (JTFE) to the end. When I removed that file, the issue with bold text went away. When I moved the file back into the plugins directory the issue was back again.

Is this a new bug with JTFE? Please try to reproduce it DrO, with all your computers. Same for everyone else.

Here is a link to a post with details and sceenshots showing the issue. And a little BELOW this post I explain that I found the cause; the gen_jumpex.dll file.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....07#post2501607
Kn0tte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 19:01   #2
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by roytam1
New build seems working quite well, hope it really fix the issue.
thanks for testing, have had a report from one of the other guys who tested the same test build that it works as well for them now so i'll look to roll out a 1.0.5 build once i've done a few finishing touches on the on queue end menu code.

Kn0tte: if that's happening then you're the first person to report it after we squashed it back in the 5.5 beta phase (from what i remember) and that was primarily down to how messages were being pumped through different windows and wasn't generally specific to a single plugin - processing times, etc were generally the case. if it still happens with the 1.0.5 build that i'll release shortly (as i've not looked into it and i've not seen it happen on any of my machines since around the time i fixed the issue in the client) then i'll try to find some time to make a test build to work out what's going on.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 19:12   #3
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Ok, thanks. You're the man DrO!

I will test v1.0.5 when it comes out, even though if it doesn't have a fix for it. Maybe it fixes itself, heh.. If not, I will reply here. Keep up the good work!
Old 29th March 2009, 19:34   #4
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Extra information:
I installed JTFE v1.0.2 (Build 757) and could still reproduce the bold text issue.

I then installed JTFE v0.99.1b (Build 400) (a bit old) and could NOT reproduce anymore. These versions were found on your nunzio-site.

Then I put the newest version v1.0.4 back into the plugins directory and I could reproduce the problem again.

I hope that helps. I dont know which version which were shipped with Winamp v5.541, but I didn't have the problem back then (have that in mind). Please look into it if you have time for it..

Last edited by Kn0tte; 29th March 2009 at 19:50.
Old 29th March 2009, 22:59   #5
DrO

1.0.5 (Build 779) is out:: release info (having site issues so link is currently not available)

------------------------------------------------------------
Download v1.0.5 (Distro Build for 5.55x only)
Download v1.0.5 (Non-Winamp specific build)

Changelog:
  • Re-worked the 'On end of queue' menu to allow the close and stop options to be used with the power options again (similar to pre 1.0 builds) -> http://stashbox.org/466236/on_end_queue_v4.png
  • Minor improvements in the hooking of the File Types preference page
  • Fixed up/down buttons being inverted only on the JTF dialog
  • Fixed queue not advancing in all cases (related to the 5.53+ compatability fixes in earlier 1.0.x builds)
  • Fixed queue being played when Winamp's 'stop after current' is enabled - should have stopped playback and not continued
  • Fixed skin change crash compatability issue with post 5.55x installs (related to internal Wasabi changes)
The 'Disto Build' is what will be shipped with Winamp client versions (doesn't have version compatability hacks, etc in it) whereas the normal build is designed to work on any Winamp version (have been building the plugin like this since just before the 1.0 release).

-daz
Old 30th March 2009, 16:02   #6
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Tried v1.0.5. The bold text issue in the ML audio-view under Local Media still appears..

Please look into it if you have time, DrO.

*EDIT*
I'm not the only one. Here's a thread about it a few days back (with screenshot)..
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=304113

Last edited by Kn0tte; 30th March 2009 at 16:28.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:08   #7
DrO

i'll need a copy of at least your winamp.ini and gen_ml.ini files to see if i can reproduce it with your setup's options. so that's now two people though they've not confirmed it happens without jtfe installed at the time... seeing as the issue in all previous cases was gen_ml.dll issues and not down to the plugin that was present which showed it up

-daz
Old 30th March 2009, 17:32   #8
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Old 30th March 2009, 17:33   #9
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Attached a zipped file containing winamp.ini and gen_ml.ini. I dont get my hopes up though since I cant even reproduce it on two other computers that I have here.. :s

But removing gen_jumpex.dll fixes the issue, no matter what.. But as you said the problem can still be in gen_ml since thats where the problem was in 5.5:

Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 2 (1568) to Beta Preview 3 (1600) changelog
-Fixed: [gen_ml] Random weird bold font glitch in Local Media views (if you still see this, then it is caused by a 3rd-party plugin, eg. in_zip)*

I hope you can take a look into gen_ml and/or gen_jumpex, even though if you can/cant reproduce it. As stated above, its random... :S
Attached Files
File Type: rar winamp_winamp.ini and gen_ml.ini.rar (4.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 30th March 2009, 18:33   #10
DrO

still not seeing it on my vista or xp machines. can you try unchecking 'Enable windowshade mode for classic skin frame windows' on the extras prefs page to see if that has an effect.

-daz
Old 30th March 2009, 19:12   #11
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Tried - unchecking that option doesn't help..
Old 30th March 2009, 19:20   #12
DrO

was worth a try. will have to do some debug builds to see what's causing it *joy*

-daz
Old 30th March 2009, 19:24   #13
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Ok. Post in this thread or send a PM if/when you have a build or something you want me to test again. I'll be here..
Old 25th June 2009, 15:32   #14
Kn0tte
Major Dude

So DrO, how is it going over there? Have you looked more into the font-bug?

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
4) Winamp Library font messing up with JTFE installed - looks like it is a gen_ml/ml_local issue
Old 28th June 2009, 16:27   #15
DrO

Kn0tte: i've not coded anything for around 6-7weeks now and don't know when i'm going to get the time as 12hr+ working days doesn't leave me with much time to do coding afterwards.

karl.ranseier: that sounds like a valid bug as i sometimes have to adjust the winamp output due to the queue feature and i guess there's an issue with the mapping of things with the MAC feature though it could just be Winamp's own position holding messing up. have logged this now to look into at some stage...

-daz
Old 6th July 2009, 10:32   #16
Kn0tte
Major Dude

My issue still happens with WA 5.56 as well. I know you haven't done anything but who knows since the bug most likely is in gen_ml/ml_local..
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:24   #17
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Thanks for the information DrO. I will be here watching this thread and my PM's to see if you have found out something. I hope you get your XP64 box running so you can reproduce the bug.

/Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kn0tte; 2nd August 2009 at 23:03.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:30   #18
Kn0tte
Major Dude

DrO, how is it going? Any progress?
Old 6th September 2009, 23:28   #19
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Kn0tte
DrO, how is it going? Any progress?
DrO? Are you here? I haven't seen you in a while so I'm starting to wonder, heh.. Not that I'm on Winamp forums everyday myself (more like once in a month), but I haven't seen you here in a while..

Also, thewang767 asked about something above which you hopefully can reply on.
Old 10th October 2009, 22:24   #20
Kn0tte
Major Dude

DrO, any update? Because of no answer I assume things are not looking good for me though..

Btw, I'm looking at your list here once in a while to see your progress:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....50#post2512350
Old 12th October 2009, 12:25   #21
DrO

Kn0tte: i managed to get the box running and i wasn't able to reproduce the issue so not sure what else i can offer on the matter now unless i try using some different apis in my code for the skinning, etc (though i'm still confused as to how it just being in the Winamp process space will cause such an issue).

-daz
Old 12th October 2009, 16:52   #22
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Dammit... :P

Ok.. So what to do? Are you going to try different apis in the code for skinning as you said and give me a test version or something? As I said a long time ago, it works with older versions of JTFE..

Btw, are you sure its in the JTFE-code at all? When the issue was present in earlier versions of WA before you fixed it, the cause was in gen_ml/ml_local afaik..

Last edited by Kn0tte; 12th October 2009 at 17:08.
Old 13th November 2009, 00:56   #23
Kn0tte
Major Dude

We're not done yet DrO.. there's a new guy with the ML bold-text issue here (XP64):
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=314469

Pff.. I'm not giving up and I hope you wont either. At some point we will find the cause of this issue and fix it, we just need to spend some more time to find out more. Do you have any ideas?
Old 13th November 2009, 06:51   #24
DrO

tbh i've no idea if it is jtfe related and may just be quirk in how things are being loaded into the Winamp proces space especially if it was still happening with one of the test builds you tried which was an empty plugin shell which was just a renamed version of the gen_empty project. however as it's only appearing on very few machines i'm more tempted to think it is related to something else potentially on the system side of things (especially with XP64 driver support being so dire).

-daz
Old 13th November 2009, 10:54   #25
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Ok DrO. I'm currently looking through some of the PMs which I had with you a while back. One PM had two test versions, one of them said "this one disables the logging AND the adding of the preferences code", the other "this one disables the logging ONLY and has everything enabled".

The thing is, as I said back then, it works with the build which disables both things (cant reproduce the bug). But with the build which disables the logging only I can still reproduce the bug. So therefore its probably the preferences code to blame then.. can you make a build where you have enabled the logging and everything except the adding of preferences code (disable prefs code)? That way we can see if it is the preferences code to blame.. I know you made a build after that where you rewrote the prefs code, but please try a build which disables the prefs code (only the prefs code) completely.

Or, maybe you can look in gen_ml/ml_local and see if the issue is there (like in 5.5 beta phase) and not with JTFE? Please, I'm begging you. I cant use the ML when it looks like this...
Old 13th November 2009, 12:09   #26
DrO

i can't look at gen_ml/ml_local as my copy is over a year out of date. tbh, without a machine that allows me to reproduce the issue so i can work through things myself i'm just taking shots at the dark with disabling one thing here and there. as for the prefs code thing, i think that's just an unfortunate trigger and there has to be something else going on as there's no explanation for that code to be causing such an issue when it doesn't do anything with the media library's code - hence why i've a feeling it's related to a memory/resource issue somewhere else which just happens to be triggered by specifics of the jtfe plugin being in the Winamp process space.

-daz
Old 13th November 2009, 15:26   #27
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
i can't look at gen_ml/ml_local as my copy is over a year out of date.
Cant you just get a new copy? Or maybe tell someone else to take a look at this? Here you explain what the cause was the last time you fixed it: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....51#post2502051

At least its not only me anymore, there are at least two other guys with this issue - all of us with WinXP 64-bit.

Last edited by Kn0tte; 13th November 2009 at 15:48.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:00   #28
Kn0tte
Major Dude

DrO, you wont believe what I just found out!
I looked through THIS thread and found out that a few other guys had problems (in earlier versions) with colored text etc in the JTFE window depending on which "Windows Theme" they used. Then I thought.. huh, maybe I should try this?

I right-clicked the desktop -> Properties -> Appearance -> and chose "Windows XP style". After that I no longer got the ML bold text issue. Then I switched back to "Windows Classic" w/ Maple color (which I use) and then I got the issue again.

Can you reproduce on your XP64 machine now?

Last edited by Kn0tte; 13th November 2009 at 16:15.
Old 16th November 2009, 18:47   #29
DrO

i was already using the standard XP (playschool) themeing to try it out on the XP64 box. i've tried again with all 3 skins as part of a standard install in both themed, non-themed and compatability modes and i still wasn't able to reproduce it (working with a complete 5.56 install).

so either i need to test this on a different set of hardware (not 100% keen on that) or maybe it is a localisation issue (we've seen random stuff like that in the past)

-daz
Old 16th November 2009, 19:48   #30
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Ok. So you have tested on both "Windows Classic style" and "Windows XP style" + different colors etc?

If the localization thing is the thing, what can I do to help testing that? It sounds a bit difficult to me but anyway, I'll do/test whatever you may come up with.

If only the other guys with this issue would come back and tell us what settings they use, localization info etc..
Old 16th November 2009, 19:59   #31
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kn0tte
If the localization thing is the thing, what can I do to help testing that?
If you're using a language pack, try to reproduce the issue with English language.

If you're not using a language pack, then it's no localization issue.

Simple isn't it?

[Edit]Gotcha, yeah there was an issue a few years ago, which was visible on German systems only. Showed '44,0' Khz instead of '44' khz in Winamp Modern skin.

So yeah, my bad, system language can produces isues as well.

Last edited by Koopa; 16th November 2009 at 20:15.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 20:09   #32
DrO

Quote:
Ok. So you have tested on both "Windows Classic style" and "Windows XP style" + different colors etc?
correct

the localisation issue i'm referring to is at the OS level and not the Winamp langauge pack level - there was a weird quirk a few years back that i remember with the Winamp Modern skin and only Swedish XP installs - that sort of weirdness is what i fear is going on here.

-daz
Old 17th November 2009, 16:03   #33
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Koopa: No language pack here, only standard en-us.

DrO: Ok. I dunno if I like the sound of that or not.. what to do? And btw, the issue which you are referring to, how did you get to know about that and reproduce it? Everything may help in reproducing THIS issue you know..

EDIT:
My OS (XP 64-bit) is in english. So.. I dunno. Maybe it depends on in which country we live in? Or?
Old 18th November 2009, 14:41   #34
DrO

well whatever the issue is i can say for certain it's not this plugin as i'm experiencing it since a recent internal Winamp build on my Vista64 machine with just gen_ml + ml_local so could be a race condition somewhere though the issue is once again (like last time around) only appearing if a ml_local view is accessed. just a pain that it seems to appear a short while after doing a clean install. am passing this over to a dev to try to look at since it's not code on my side at fault now (at least in my instance).

-daz
Old 18th November 2009, 16:06   #35
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Are you saying you can reproduce it now?

Yeah, its a pain in the ... you know what.. Btw, can you and the dev keep me updated on whats going on/the progress (in this thread and/or PM)? Thanks in advance.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:13   #36
DrO

all i'm saying is that i've experienced the same issue which was resolved back in the early 5.5x builds. if this is caused by the same thing as you're experiencing then i cannot confirm as i see it with a minimal setup of winamp.exe + gen_ml.dll + ml_local.dll and any required supporting dll's in the system folder (so that rules out this plugin in what i'm seeing).

all i've done so far is email our internal beta list about the issue but i'm doing more client version tests on my machines to see if it's something that is reliable (not currently as it's only my Vista machine experiencing it).

-daz
Old 18th November 2009, 16:17   #37
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Ok. I hope for the best!

What about your XP64 machine? Have you done more tests there? What I guess right now is that its another "happens now and then"-issue, just like the ML window ovelapping issue a while back (which got fixed in the end). Its probably hard to find the cause of this bug but I hope for the best.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:26   #38
DrO

i'm not touching the XP64 box as the network card in it has now failed and i just cba to replace/fix it. it's pretty much known what code feature caused this issue in the past (is in gen_ml) but the prior fixes were enough to duck tape a fix for what could be a fundamental design issue with the newer 5.5+ skinning code functionality. things are pretty much out of my hands now so will see what does or doesn't happen. is just a good thing that i personally don't tend to use ml_local views so it's not impacting my usage.

-daz
Old 25th November 2009, 15:38   #39
Kn0tte
Major Dude

So, ehm, the status on the issue? Have any of the devs taken a look at it?

Thanks in advance
Old 25th November 2009, 15:44   #40
DrO

it was talked about but nothing has been done i believe and the issue disappeared for me without any changes to my system/Winamp install. all that can be worked out is at some point the font is being incorrectly destroyed but other than that i've no idea and i've not heard anything back. and now i'm back in the same situation of having a functioning Winamp.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion