Old 14th January 2003, 16:59   #1
glimidwarf

How to erase mp3 file directly from playlist ? Help !

Hi,

In Winamp2, It used to be possible to erase a file directly from the playlist (and there was a confirmation box to make sure you really wanted to do this). I am talking about deleting the file itself and not only his name in the playlist...

I do not see anything of the kind in Winamp 3 : so when I listen to a file and want to delete it, I have to go to Windows Explorer and do it manually. One problem is you can't be sure it's the same one except if you edit the path in Winamp : all this takes time and is annoying if you have lots of files with similar names and want to delete them all except one...

Would anybody tell me how I could do this with Winamp 3 ? Or is there a software that makes it easy to listen to a file and erase it quickly if you want...

Thanks for your answers

Thomas
Old 14th January 2003, 17:12   #2
plinko

how weird... i just made an account to ask this very question... except i didn't know it was possible to do this in winamp2. so yea, if anyone knows this answer help us out! it's very annoying when i have multiple copies of a song on my playlist and only one sounds clean and i have to go back to my music folder and again figure out which one was the bad file and which one the good file and i think you get the idea and maybe i should just leave it at that. OKAY

Old 15th January 2003, 00:29   #3
plinko

^bump
Old 15th January 2003, 01:40   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Regardless of the *bump* and what you guys are asking, I don't have an answer because I do not believe it is possible.
Quote:
In Winamp2, It used to be possible to erase a file directly from the playlist (and there was a confirmation box to make sure you really wanted to do this). I am talking about deleting the file itself and not only his name in the playlist
I never heard of any such thing. Right now I have both Winamp2 and Winamp3 installed on my puter and that option is not possible. Could you please tell me which version of Winamp2 this was possible with? 2.79 ? 2.80 ? 2.81 ? I'm really curious about this, and exactly what you pressed/selected to get this file deletion confirmation box.

The only mention of "deletion" that I am aware of in Winamp2 is when you highlight and then right-click any song file(s). That in turn generates a dropmenu where one of the options reads this way...

Remove item(s) Delete

But that of course never "deletes" an actual file. It just removes it from the playlist, and nothing more. As far as playlists in both Winamp2 and Winamp3 are concerned, they are nothing more than text files (XML format in Winamp3). The files themselves can be changed and written to, based on user interaction. But there is no way of actually physically deleting files through the text-based playlist that I am aware of.

So... what version of Winamp2 was this possible in, and what did you press/select in order to get this file deletion confirmation box?

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 15th January 2003, 01:48   #5
plinko

well i don't know if it was ever in winamp, but i believe it was an option in a different player i used. You would have to right click on the song in the playlist and one of the options would be "delete from disk?" and clicking would bring another yes/no confirmation. I found that handy, and i was wondering if maybe anyone knew of a plug-in or something that adds this feature to winamp3. I guess that feature isn't very high in demand judging by the lack of response...

choosing "view file info" in the drop down menu does show you the path name, so theoretically, it isn't impossible right?
Old 15th January 2003, 01:55   #6
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK. You want a component to do that for you? That's different.
Here ya go > Control And Delete [Component ID: 122396]

Enjoy!

BUT.... I still would like to know where/how "glimidwarf" saw this file deletion confirmation box!!! glimidwarf ???

The ONLY way that I can see would have been to install a 3rd party component. Deletion is not possible with the default installation "package" in Winamp. In any event, both of you can use the Control And Delete component. Should satisfy your needs.
Old 15th January 2003, 02:04   #7
plinko

oh wow, totally excellent! you've made my music library cleaning ALOT easier. Thanks nunzio, you're my new role model.
Old 15th January 2003, 02:06   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Well I don't wanna be anybody's "role model". Believe me... you wouldn't want it either!

But yer welcome anyway.
Old 15th January 2003, 10:02   #9
glimidwarf

Thanks a lot to Nunzio390 for the link to the "control and delete" component : that's what I was looking for. Works great! I hope they make bigger icons in the next version, though.

Another way to do this which I just found is to install a plugin "Linas.info Hotkeys for Winamp 3 - 0.4" at http://linas.info/ : you can configure hotkeys the way you like, and functions include "Delete current song from playlist;
Delete current song from disk! (File will be completely deleted without any warning!); ". I find it even easier to use than "control and delete" component.

As for Winamp2 (I use version 2.80), the function I was referring to can be found at the bottom of the playlist : click "rem" (second item from the left), then choose "rem misc", then "physically remove selected file(s)". If you click on that, a confirmation box says : "Using this command will remove all selected files permanently from disk. Are you sure you want to do this?".

I hope my explanations were clear enough in my first message : my mother tongue is not English (French!).

Thanks!

Thomas

Last edited by glimidwarf; 15th January 2003 at 11:30.
Old 15th January 2003, 16:26   #10
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

glimidwarf...

OK. Thanks for explaining. I had NO idea that option was ever available in Winamp2.

Guys... listen up!

Board member yonido has developed a new component, still in beta stages (but working just FINE on my system), that will do EXACTLY what you want and MORE!!!

Read about it here > new: SongLoader beta3

Download it here > download SongLoader BETA3 here

See the attached screenshot (song-loader.gif) of the component installed on my puter, where I elected to delete a file.

This component does a LOT more than just delete files. I'm keeping it installed.
Attached Images
File Type: gif song-loader.gif (21.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 15th January 2003, 18:39   #11
Clades

Quote:
I never heard of any such thing. Right now I have both Winamp2 and Winamp3 installed on my puter and that option is not possible.
Actually, I just downloaded the newest version of Winamp 2 (2.81) and you can in fact delete a file permanently from your hard drive through Winamp...its under:

- File -> - Misc -> Physically Remove Selected File(s) at the bottom of the player.

And it does give you a pop-up warning.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Technical Support