Old 13th May 2004, 11:53   #1
oomingmak

Winamp Library suggestions

1. Be able to define file masks (e.g. *.mp3 ?????.wav, fave*.ogg etc) to determine what is imported (or not imported) into the Winamp media Library. So you could either choose to import only media files that are specified the the file filter box or choose to import all media files except those that are listed in the file filter box.

This is useful as I often keep .wav originals of MP3's Ive made but I can not stop them from being imported into the library without being forced to completely alter my media filing system, or having to go through the Local Media list and manually delete each instance that I don't want.

This is made even more difficult by the fact that is no easy way to distinguish file types once they are in the Media Library (you have to view the file properties of each file to determine what file type it is and then delete the appropriate one).

2. Add an 'Remove from this view' type function to items that are right-cliked on in one of the Local Media sub-folders views. In other words, right clicking on an entry (or entries) in one of the views and selecting 'Remove > from this view) would just remove the entry from that particular view (e.g. from 'Recently played' or whatever) without removing it from anywhere else in the library.

3. A follow on from point 2. Add a 'Reset List' type function to the right click menu of top level Media Views items, so that you can easily right click on 'Recently Played' or 'Recently added' (for example) and reset that particular list (therefore emptying its contents). Dunno what the menu should be called though; (Clear List? Empty List? or Reset View perhaps). I don't know what the 'Clear Search' button does, but it does not do what I have described above.

I can't find a simple way to individually empty these lists at the moment (other than to delete the view entirely, make a new one and then redefine the query from scratch).

I have just found a 'Remove from Recent List' menu entry but this is not available by right clicking on the Recent Items tree menu, it can only be acccesed by right clicking on a individual file (or files) within the Recent Items list itself. It is not clear to me whether this refers to recently added items to the library or whether the term 'Recent' has anything to do with Recently played. Also will removing from the recent list remove its entry from the Libary altogether? This could do with a bit of tidying up.

4. Make Items in the Media Library Treeview pane collapsible (like Windows Explorer folder tree) so that you don't have to keep scrolling up and down when you have lots of playlists or views.

5. When editing an entry in Media Library (and it then refreshes to update the changes) it should take you back to the same place in the list that you were before, and not dump you at the top of the list.

6. Have some visual identification in the column headings to let you know which column is being sorted on and whether it's in ascencing or decsending order (again a bit like Windows Explorer's column headings, where they have the triangle symbol used to denote sorting column).
oomingmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 19:13   #2
oomingmak

Oh, and one more ....

7. Have tooltips pop up (on mouseover) where a media Library entry is incomplete due to column width. This lets you see the full name of the entry without having to mess up all your column widths by resizing, and saves you from having to open each truncated item just to check its properties or file info.
Old 16th May 2004, 05:10   #3
Gregoriusness

Send a message via ICQ to Gregoriusness
One other blaring omission from the media library - the ability to sort the playlist items into subfolders!!! How could such a basic and useful feature be overlooked??

Does anyone know if any of the skins are able to do this? Its a feature I REALLY REALLY want badly, to the point that i'm almost ready to start using another program instead of my beloved winamp.
Gregoriusness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2004, 14:40   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

A few of these requests are already included in the official Wishlist sticky, including Gregoriusness' request for sub/folder views, and oomingmak's #6.

@oomingmak

1. A workaround would be to add your tracks to the playlist window first, and then use "right click > send to > media library" to import only the files of your choice.
Of course, if the WAV files are stored in one of the folders specified in the Media Scanner settings, then alas they will be added to the ml if you use the 'rescan media folders' feature.

Another option would be to edit the (relevant) view(s), eg.

Audio -> right click -> edit view
(type = 0) AND !(filename ends wav)

This will exclude WAV files from the Audio view.

3. Using "Recent Items -> right click entry -> remove from recent list" just removes the entry from the Recent Items view, not from the entire library.

4. Double click the parent view (Local Media, Playlists, Devices, etc) to collapse/expand them.

5. If "remember search filters..." is checkmarked in prefs -> media library
then the current position will be remembered... as long as an artist and/or album is selected in the top panes, but not if 'All Artists' is selected.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2004, 13:27   #5
oomingmak

Cool, Thanks!

I'll try out your suggestions.
Old 9th June 2004, 14:46   #6
oomingmak

Hi DJ Egg,

I tried your work-around number 3, but while this does remove items from the 'Recent Items' menu, it does not allow you to clear the Recently Played or Most Played list (which is what I was trying to do in the first place).

I would Lke to be able to re-set the contents of these folders (to start from a clean slate every now and then) but this can not be done regardless whether you right click the folders concerened or any of their contents.

That's why I suggested an "Reset" type context menu be added to these folders particular folders.
Old 9th June 2004, 18:34   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

That's because it's just a Local Media View,
and is bound by the specified search query.

ie. Recently Played = lastplay > [2 weeks ago]

Not much that can be done about that,
except for editing/creating your own view(s).

eg. if there's a crappy song you want to move from the view...

item > right click > view file info (or "edit selected items" to edit multiple entries)

Type "crappy" in the Comment field

Then right click "Recently Played" view
and edit accordingly:

lastplay > [2 weeks ago] AND !(comment has crappy)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 21:27   #8
Ikarus7

small suggestion to add : *g*
option to have scrollbars in ml look like playlist scrollbar :P
Ikarus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 14:32   #9
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
1 - Use an advanced Media Library View, some thing like filename ends ".xyz" or !(filename ends ".xyz"). That will let you choose what file types are viewed, only 'xyz' or every thing but 'xyz'. I think this works.

2 - That would then create a conflict with the view queries, it would keep coming back

3 - That would create the same conflict.

4, 5, 6 and 7 - All good suggestions.

8 - This just confused me.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 00:03   #10
oomingmak

One more thing .....

How do I get dates in Media Player to show correctly for my system? (instead of forcing American date format on me).

The whole 'month first' thing is weird (and really does my head in!)
Old 12th June 2004, 10:41   #11
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Quote:
Originally posted by oomingmak
One more thing .....

How do I get dates in Media Player to show correctly for my system? (instead of forcing American date format on me).

The whole 'month first' thing is weird (and really does my head in!)
Best idea EVER. I do knot know why winamp doesn't alredy use the Windows date formats, if you set it up to be DD/MM/YY in windows, winamp should do the same.
This has to go on the wish list (I checked and couldn't see it).
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 13:23   #12
oomingmak

J_Darnley said: "This has to go on the wish list (I checked and couldn't see it)."

You're right. I can't find it listed either.
Old 22nd June 2004, 15:07   #13
siebe83
Forum King

I agree. Hope it can be added...

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2004, 16:06   #14
bristela

Winamp library suggestions

One thing I'd like to see is the "most played" view with an artist (and album) playcount. Is there a way to do this that I've missed?
bristela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 12:36   #15
dez93_2000

Along the same lines: i'd love to have a 'recently additions' autoplaylist, kinda like 'recent items', only instead of making a playlist by sorting files' LASTPLAYED parameter, have a dynamic playlist where items are sorted based on their creation date. Options could be:
-adjustable duration in list, e.g. anything added in the last 7 days, 2 weeks, year, whatever
-smart item tracking option, under the assumption that many people have a download folder that contains files with sketchy ID3Tag data and location (by dint of being in the download folder and not put in its proper place). Using the available tag data as well as hints from user (search here first: E:\music\artist\ THEN e:\i-dunno-whatever\).

Although this whole thing would initially be draining, as WA chewed through X thousand files for date creation data, after it had sorted them and been given the duration parameter from the user it could dump the whole 'songs & dates' list/database it had created onto a file in the winamp root, freeing up memory. Under the logical assumption that all new files will have dates younger than everything on the current database, all winamp would have to do then would be to datecheck new items (option of integrating a folder-monitor plugin here, so new stuff gets added to 'audio library' and 'recent additions', appended to database and tracked around the PC using the preset rules, with ID3tag data changes made onto the database entry when the file is located).

Another option could be periodical background scanning of library to check creation dates against database values, with options of 'how often to check', 'check all or check a sample' (i.e. one or two from each folder, assuming most albums arrive on the PC together), 'check only when CPU has been idle for time=X'.

I've been thinking about this due to my iPod, where i'd add stuff in big chunks with long intervals between them. The problem then was remembering what i'd added, and often having stuff reside on the pod for ages, unlistened.

Thoughts?
dez93_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 15:28   #16
dez93_2000

reply to previous post by imbecile. from said imbecile.

Here's a thought:
Recently Added is already there, you dumbass.
Still, it doesn't have anything in it and there's no option for tracing changing/moving files, so i figure it works on when stuff was imported into the library, which sucks for people used to just adding their music folder root and letting WA do the rest. Potentially. If anyone knows where i can get a bit more info about the Recently Added thing, please lemme know cos although i feel like an idiot for pestering the board about this, i do still really want this function and to get it working how i want.
Cheers
Dez
Old 20th April 2005, 01:39   #17
shaneh
Major Dude

A plugin Im working on (ML Tree) uses the regional settings for the date/time view. Its not really that difficult, a single line of code at startup to set the localisation is all it took. I did this because the American way of listing time/dates looks ridiculous when sorting.

Also, it has the ability to list the ML items in a directory view too. Not quite the 'playlist in subfolders' or whatever, but Im not sure exactly how you think that would work.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 10:45   #18
dez93_2000

PHENOMENAL WORK! I just checked out the beta. So.... you could keep custom view and use it to sort the whole library by....Last Updated? Wouldn't that then become a mix between a 'recent items' and 'last played' including all background edits? Would it be possible for you to add 'date created' as a choosable field?
Dude this prog is already gonna be obscenely useful in my Mammoth Tagging Project, and i'm lovin the shell integration like Explore Folder and Find this item in tree. Legendary stuff, keep up the good work. Everyone else, don't use a hotlink, go to the site.
//////the magic of after-editing messages//////

Last edited by dez93_2000; 20th April 2005 at 12:25.
Old 20th April 2005, 12:22   #19
shaneh
Major Dude

You can't hotlink to the .zip like that. Im short on bandwidth so have added protection from that. You will need to visit the site. As it is, it may not last through the month :P

Anyway...

ML Tree still has a long way to go. Ive slowed development somewhat at the moment while I make some design decisions. Im taking a look at a few other similar tools. After past experience and looking at other projects, Im going to lean towards simplicity rather than feature bloat and complex interfaces. I will happily omit many features rather than make it too difficult to use - ive seen it be the downfall of many other projects.

You can already sort the whole library by 'last updated' with the normal ML can't you? just add and click the column for that field. As Ive said, there is still a long way to go with this plugin, custom 'smart views', tagging?, drag drop, some kind of smart playist thing, multiple root nodes?, refined searches?, filters, playlist files, etc. Not really too sure at the moment.

I can't have a 'date created' field, as that data isn't in the ml, and pulling it from disk would be too slow. There is the 'filetime' field however. Otherwise, you could take a look at the Dynamic Library project, its kind of similar, but works entirely from disk. Though for some reason it only has a small number of available columns.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 12:50   #20
dez93_2000

File time is pretty good, although the order for most of the middle of the selection seems odd. Where is the info being culled from? Cheers for the help man, best of luck with the rest of it.
Dez
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist