Old 11th October 2004, 17:59   #1
Toolplusplus

Skin Ported for COMMERCIAL software

http://www.mp3-wav-studio.com/

They seem to have nicked not only the general style of the modern def. skin, but the playlist buttons too!

I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem with the port, but the fact that they are CHARGING for the software (and thus making money out of your work) is pretty darn low.
Toolplusplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 18:39   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Yep. Damn sure looks just like the Winamp Modern skin. Hmmm

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 19:24   #3
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
I think this is a case for the courts...

Well maybe I'm just watching too many TV shows

Still I think this isn't legal but who am I, I'm just a student and not even a law student.

NOTE: I am Dextro!
d3x7r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 22:02   #4
mikm
Major Dude

It won't get to the courts. AOL will threaten them, they will run away scared.

powered by C₈H₁₀N₄O₂
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 23:00   #5
Toolplusplus

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
It won't get to the courts. AOL will threaten them, they will run away scared.
Thats what I was hoping would happen.

Can we request that AOL give them the option ot make their software freeware with no ads?
Old 11th October 2004, 23:02   #6
mikm
Major Dude

It is up to Nullsoft/AOL, and most likely, the Bartibartman, the skin's author, to decide.

powered by C₈H₁₀N₄O₂
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 23:10   #7
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Actually, it is NOT up to Barti Bartman, as Nullsoft paid for the skin and owns all rights to it. It is up to them, and by extension AOL, to decide who can use it and for what.
I doubt they will allow another media application to use it as their base skin.

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 23:57   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Yep. You're right, Wally. Kistner's out of it now. Paid for, done with. Though it certainly seems as if MP3 WAV Studio's base skin is an obvious Winamp Modern Skin rip-off. It also seems as if MP3 WAV Studio is only one of several products offered through IconCool (one of about 10 of their listed products).

Well, it's no skin off my back really, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that Nullsoft/AOL will be interested in knowing about it.
Old 12th October 2004, 18:13   #9
Toolplusplus

Ah, good.

It seems a shame that they are getting money from other peoples work - the nice looking UI is what interested in me in it in the first place.

Whats the reward?
Old 12th October 2004, 18:21   #10
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Good luck in getting them to take it down etc etc, the whois record for that site leads back to China, the land that copyright forgot.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2004, 22:18   #11
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Another case where the Winamp Modern skin was ported to another player. See this thread > @MAX Tray Player - a WinAmp clone?

And even though there is a disclaimer...

This skin is based on Nullsoft's Winamp 5.x "Modern" skin.
Thanks to Sven Kistner for his permission!

...it really doesn't matter, since Kistner gave up all rights to the Modern Skin to AOL/Nullsoft.
Old 17th October 2004, 23:34   #12
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

How lazy can they be?

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2004, 00:41   #13
JonnyMac

The fact that Winamp is cloned/copied/imitated by various developers only goes to prove that Winamp is the superior product.

Why anyone would want to install and mess around with an imitation when you can have the original is beyond me.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2004, 01:18   #14
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyMac
Why anyone would want to install and mess around with an imitation when you can have the original is beyond me.
it all depends on what the imitation is and does
and don't they say that imitation is the best flattery (or something like that)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2004, 01:34   #15
JonnyMac

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
it all depends on what the imitation is and does
True, although I have yet to find anything better than Winamp.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2004, 06:52   #16
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Interesting preview.

Old 18th October 2004, 07:04   #17
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Okay Darren...

We see the Blizzard skin screenshot above, but we also see the preview to the left of it as Wally indicated.

So.. ya gonna tell us what new little nifty thingy you're workin on? Huh? Huh?
Old 18th October 2004, 12:29   #18
DrO

The title on the window says it all >> 'Skin Preview'.
It's basically a test plugin for the k-jofol skin plugin i'm slowly working on and i thought as a test/R&D for somethings WAS to re-create the winamp skin for a 'functional' skin preview.

The next stage (hopefully tonight) will be to start hacking the main skin prefs page inorder to intergrate the preview into it

The current test dll is at here if you fancy a look

-daz
Old 18th October 2004, 13:40   #19
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Ahhh. Now I see. Well, I do fancy a look, but first I had to download the K-Jöfol player, which of course I didn't have installed on this old Win95 box, but I did manage to "squish" it into the miniscule amount of hard drive space that's available on this old machine (gotta leave room for the Win95 swap file ya know, or I run out of disk space).

Next step: test-run the DLL you're working on. I'll do that later today or tomorrow and let you know what I think.
Old 19th October 2004, 02:02   #20
DrO

ok, i'm hijacking this thread it appears (for one last time i think )

same link as in this post but with one difference... no external dialog now but instead have a look at the screenshot below (not all parts are adjusted yet since i have to do them the hard way ) but you get the idea

-daz
Old 19th October 2004, 04:19   #21
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
i dl your test dl on XP sp1. all my desktop shortcuts flickered in unison w/ WA classic visualization. and in the skin preview, the buttons work for the classic skin.

i really like this idea.

Winamppreferences gets hacked by DrO cos he can... yeah baby yeah!!
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 05:49   #22
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

And here comes Nunzio, who continues to hijack this thread as well since he really doesn't give a hoot about porting of the Winamp Modern skin, and because what DrO is working on is SOOOO much more interesting...
Quote:
i dl your test dl on XP sp1. all my desktop shortcuts flickered in unison w/ WA classic visualization. and in the skin preview, the buttons work for the classic skin.
Same here, except of course on my old Win95 box and not XP.

Flickering also occurs within all apps shown running in the taskbar too (but not the systray). Note however, that all flickering stops once music stops.

But the preview is GREAT, Darren!!!!
Question: Will you also be working on previews for modern skins?

Only one thing, and it's really minor - almost not worth mentioning but what the hell, I will, since you are currently working on this! LOL...

The upper-right corner of the skin preview slightly overlaps a bit of the lower-left corner of the text on its right, as seen in your screenshot above, and in mine here and here.

Regardless, keep up the great work, Darren!

And also KEEP that new titlebar text in Winamp Preferences!! ...yeah baby yeah!!!

Re: the K-Jöfol player...

Great little Winamp predecessor that Christophe and Steve were involved in starting there. I actually like it. Really like the way the main window and playlist sorta "glide" in and out, upon opening and closing the app. Really cool.

Too bad no more work is being done on it. Outdated links and very limited file support, as evidenced in this screenshot.

I realize that adding more file-type support is probably not worth it for that player now, especially with Winamp being here. But isn't there anybody around who at the very least can change all the www.kjofol.org dead links to properly point to www.k-jofol.com instead?
Old 19th October 2004, 08:54   #23
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

k-jofol.com is not any official site, although it probably is the only current and active k-jofol site.
To change the links, a bit of hacking into the exe would be required, and I don't know how the creator (Christophe) would like that idea.

BTW, did you find the Fusion skin for K-Jofol?

Old 19th October 2004, 09:12   #24
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by billyvnilly
there's some issues with the drawing that i need to fix

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Flickering also occurs within all apps shown running in the taskbar too (but not the systray). Note however, that all flickering stops once music stops.
that actually narrows it all down

Quote:
The upper-right corner of the skin preview "slightly overlaps" a bit of the lower-left corner of the text on its right, as seen in your screenshot above, and in mine here and here.
yeah, still need to get the placement of those text blocks adjusted, since the information text controls all have an index of -1, it makes things a bit trickier to get the correct one but it'll be fixed later today as well as a few more little tweaks to the general layout.

with the above tweaks/fixes i also aim to get the rest of the main window repduced for an officially useable version. for modern skins the aim currently would then to just show a default image or to use the preview image in the skin (assuming there is one otherwise it will fallback to the first case).

the plan from there just to show it can be done is to make an extended preview which will reproduce the eq,pl,video and do a gen window preview (but that would come a bit later since this plugin has already answered the majority of the skinning questions i've initially had)

-daz
Old 19th October 2004, 09:51   #25
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

@ Wally...
Quote:
BTW, did you find the Fusion skin for K-Jofol?
Nope. I looked and looked but never could find that one.
You're joking, right? It was the first one I looked for, and I think you already knew that. (you sly little devil)

The site may not be "official" but I still think it would be nice if links in the player were updated to point to it.

btw (and correct me if I'm wrong)... although the K-Jöfol site has a unique domain name (k-jofol.com), I assume that it is an extension of your site (fusionamp.com). Right? The layout is almost identical at each location, and the same tabbed menuing leads from one site back to the other. Actually, I like the layout at both sites because it's based on the old Winamp.com site layout prior to when the new Winamp.com site came online back in December of last year. I miss the old Winamp.com. I thought it was a lot nicer than what is here now.

Since k-jofol.com is the only active K-Jöfol player site that currently exists, and since the download of the player is offered through that site, why don't you just drop Christophe a note to ask for permission to change the links in the player options/preferences (and also to get rid of the now-dead registration link/nag window too)? I'm sure he won't mind. Then, if DrO is up to it, he can probably very easily make the fixes (or someone else for that matter).

@ Darren...
Quote:
that actually narrows it all down
Yep. I figured it might. That's why I brought it to your attention.
Quote:
with the above tweaks/fixes i also aim to get the rest of the main window repduced for an officially useable version. for modern skins the aim currently would then to just show a default image or to use the preview image in the skin (assuming there is one otherwise it will fallback to the first case).

the plan from there just to show it can be done is to make an extended preview which will reproduce the eq,pl,video and do a gen window preview (but that would come a bit later since this plugin has already answered the majority of the skinning questions i've initially had)
Awesome! Sounds great! Keep "plugging" away there! ("plugin" pun intended)
Old 19th October 2004, 20:16   #26
DrO

billyvnilly: fixed that flicker with one simple line of code (it had been fine before when i was using the external dialog since it was always shown but the changes meant that the preview was trying to draw to a window not there and hence the issue). moral of the bug is that i should test things with winamp playing before releasing

Quote:
Originally posted by billyvnilly
and in the skin preview, the buttons work for the classic skin.

i really like this idea.
as soon as i started making it i thought having a functional preview would be good to have (and it means i can play around with image handling that bit more ).

Quote:
Originally posted by wildrose-wally
k-jofol.com is not any official site, although it probably is the only current and active k-jofol site.
To change the links, a bit of hacking into the exe would be required, and I don't know how the creator (Christophe) would like that idea.
any alterations would require a new installer (good thing we've got nsis now ) and either editing the exe or making some rather hackish plugin (since it uses winamp plugins iirc) to alter things when shown (the later is not ideal since it is a bit brute force but most winamp things i do are that way ) personally the first option is easy/better imho.

there's no harm in making up a new installer (even if it's just for me to improve my nsis skillz ).

Quote:
Awesome! Sounds great! Keep "plugging" away there! ("plugin" pun intended)
hehe, i should change my nick to DrP(lugin)

[edit]uploaded a fixed build to the same place as before[/edit]

-daz
Old 19th October 2004, 21:51   #27
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
DrO that plug is loking SWEET, can't wait to try it in full.

Just one thing I noticed (and I bet you know this): besides the overlaping of the text I natice that the skins changes when you click on top of it (regular behaviour) so that way the preview is rather useless.

Btw can I make a sugestion? Can't you try to change the link in the prefs to actually point to a hidden prefs page completely remade by you? could be a lot easyer than hacking the existing one but than again it could be quite a pain :?

NOTE: I am Dextro!
d3x7r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 22:01   #28
DrO

yeah, clicking on the list changes things (still to alter that with a few different options ie click to preview, double-click to preview, alt/ctrl+click, you get the idea - still to decide on that aspect.

Quote:
Btw can I make a sugestion? Can't you try to change the link in the prefs to actually point to a hidden prefs page completely remade by you? could be a lot easyer than hacking the existing one but than again it could be quite a pain :?
i did think of that but having the preview on the main page is more useful i think. however, i do aim to make a sub page/tab which will allow for a full skin preview instead of just the main window as for easyness, it's about the same for both options (but for the current way i already had the code made so it was easy )

-daz
Old 20th October 2004, 01:33   #29
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
btw (and correct me if I'm wrong)... although the K-Jöfol site has a unique domain name (k-jofol.com), I assume that it is an extension of your site (fusionamp.com). Right? The layout is almost identical at each location, and the same tabbed menuing leads from one site back to the other. Actually, I like the layout at both sites because it's based on the old Winamp.com site layout prior to when the new Winamp.com site came online back in December of last year. I miss the old Winamp.com. I thought it was a lot nicer than what is here now.

Since k-jofol.com is the only active K-Jöfol player site that currently exists, and since the download of the player is offered through that site, why don't you just drop Christophe a note to ask for permission to change the links in the player options/preferences (and also to get rid of the now-dead registration link/nag window too)? I'm sure he won't mind. Then, if DrO is up to it, he can probably very easily make the fixes (or someone else for that matter).
The first K-Jofol page was another page on fusionamp.com. When I added the skin tutorial, I registered the domain name, gave the page a new color scheme and once again K-Jofol has its own site.

I have tried to contact Christopher in the recent past, but so far he has not answered.

@DrO
The preview is available through preferences, but when you go directly to the skin browser from the main menu, the default shows.

Old 20th October 2004, 01:45   #30
DrO

Quote:
@DrO
The preview is available through preferences, but when you go directly to the skin browser from the main menu, the default shows.
easy one to fix that

btw i've been dabbling with installers and almost got a nsis version fully done (still needs some nice icons/images to brand it better and a few more files to go in)

-daz
Old 7th November 2004, 23:39   #31
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

K-Jofol Skins Forum

OK, the plug-in is not ready yet, but for those who would like to make a skin for it AND get it published, www.k-jofol.com is the place to go.

We now have a support forum where your skinning needs can be discussed to help you make the best skin possible that eventualy will work on Winamp.

K-Jofol pioneerd the freeform skin, but it is amazingly easy to make.

Remember: Skins will be accepted on this site for publication.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion