Old 7th November 2002, 18:25   #1
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Permanent fix for LOST windows

There have been many people complaining about windows "missing" in Winamp3.

Up until now, the solution has always been to delete studio.xnf from the Winamp3 folder, to allow that file to rebuild itself with default window positions.

OK... there's a little utility I had completely forgotten about. I used it on my old Win95 system all the time. This utility, although developed for an inherent Win95 problem, works in all major OS's... Win9x, ME, 2000, NT, XP. If any windows have either partially or completely moved off-screen, this utility will cause the windows to reposition themselves back into the viewing area. This can be turned on by default, or turned off and only used IF needed. I'm keeping it on by default myself.

Anyway, here's the proggie.... Shove-it

Go ahead and download/install and all "lost window" problems will be a thing of the past!

One thing...

The NEW version offered by Phord is a 30-day TRIAL version. If anyone is interested in the original FREEWARE version (never expires), you can obtain it here... Shove-it version 1.3 Beta or here... Download Mirror Site

It doesn't have all the features of the newer version but it still does the job.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 7th February 2003, 17:04   #2
redragon

I'll never lose a window again...
It's a keeper!
Old 7th February 2003, 17:06   #3
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Yep. It does the job.
Old 30th April 2003, 07:26   #4
sheer64

thanx for the help dudes prog works great
Old 30th April 2003, 08:53   #5
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Yer welcome
Old 30th April 2003, 09:41   #6
Jochen

Nunzio,

tbh, I can't accept this a final solution, ya know, solving a problem with a 3rd party app is ok as workaround but a solution should be found within the causing app

No offend intended
Old 30th April 2003, 09:58   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Jochen...

My initial post in this thread way back on 11-07-2002 was then and still is a solution to recover any window that has moved off-screen in Windows Win32 systems. Although I initially posted this fix with Winamp3 in mind, it is not intended to be a fix "specifically" for Winamp3. Forget Winamp3 for the moment. Shove-it is in fact a fix for lost windows within Windows, and will also work with the Winamp3 application.

Actually, if you wanna get down to it, these "lost" windows can be blamed on Bill Gates and his Windows OS, because it can happen with ANY Windows-based application. So in that respect you are right in saying that "solving a problem with a 3rd party app is ok as workaround but a solution should be found within the causing app", if you consider that the problem lies within Windows itself, and that the 3rd party Shove-it program is the workaround. But even though I agree with you that a solution should be found within the causing app, I don't think Mr. Gates or any of his Microsoft developers really care about this inherent Windows problem, and will probably never address it. So in effect, Shove-it is a "Permanent fix for LOST windows", as the subject of this topic indicates.

Regardless, you can either accept my mentioning Shove-it as a solution, and my suggesting it as being helpful (which was my intention at the time I created this thread), or you don't have to.

Personally, I have NEVER experienced any lost windows with Winamp3, but have had it happen with other apps. So I keep Shove-it handy, just in case.

Bottom line... it WORKS, with Winamp3, or any other application, and that's what matters.

Quoted directly from the Winamp3 FAQ...
Quote:
The window is lost off the screen
Close Winamp3. Delete studio.xnf from the Winamp3 folder. Or try this.
Old 30th April 2003, 10:40   #8
Jochen

yeah, you're right in all points (especially blaming M$ )

What still is knocking back in rear gray matter is the fact that the default skin (afaik) is not showing these inconcistencies regarding positioning ...

So, who to blame now ? I can't actually blame anyone of the Skin authors, nor one of the developers, as have not the tiniest experience (yet) with WASABI whatsoever

Thanx anyway for that Shove-it link ... have already backed up that for later use (if I ever face that again)
Old 30th April 2003, 11:20   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
I can't actually blame anyone of the Skin authors
It can INDEED be in part due to certain 3rd party skins. So you can in fact blame some of the skin authors. At the very least, something in their coding is contributing to the inherent Windows problem of windows lost off-screen.

Lemme explain a few things here...

There have already been a few instances where certain 3rd party skins are used and after you reposition windows, and then shutdown and then restart Winamp3, one of the windows is "lost". Now, if you switch back to the Default or Classic skins that came prebundled with Winamp3, all windows are usually still viewable. It's just in that 3rd party skin that the window is lost. I've never heard of any instances where when using the Default skin, any component window was lost off-screen. Although WA3's ability to allow 3rd party developers to free-form skins is a wonderful thing, it leaves Winamp3 open to problems...

Quoted directly from the Winamp3 Trouble-Shooter Guide...
Quote:
Remove Third Party Components

If you have installed any third party skins or components for Winamp3 be sure to remove them before reporting a problem. Components not made by Nullsoft, and even skins, may seriously affect the performance and cause Winamp3 not to work. For any components installed first search for an updated version. If the error still persists delete all third party components and skins. Most components should have an uninstaller in the Start menu. Some older components may not. For skins just switch to the Default skins in Winamp, they do not have to be removed.
Now, why is it that closing Winamp3 and then deleting studio.xnf from the Winamp3 folder is suggested to reclaim lost component windows? Because even if you REMOVE the offending skin, the "lost" coordinates for that skin are still written to studio.xnf (the file where all your personal settings upon proper shutdown of Winamp3 are written to and stored). And that can still cause problems. Closing Winamp3 and then deleting studio.xnf will "force" a new studio.xnf file to be created upon Winamp3 restart, with the Default skin and the splash screen. Any 3rd-party skin info is no longer present in the newly created preferences file.

There are however, some drawbacks to using that procedure, which is specifically the reason why I created this thread and suggested using Shove-it as an alternative...

When you delete studio.xnf you lose ALL your personal settings, skin or otherwise, and have to reset them again. With Shove-it, that won't happen. What it will do is just "shove" that one lost window back into view again, and all ya gotta do is reposition it. Also, it's a hell of a lot easier to run Shove-it to reclaim that lost window than having to:

Close Winamp3 > Open My Computer or Windows Explorer > browse to the main Winamp3 folder > locate and delete studio.xnf > close My Computer or Windows Explorer > restart Winamp3 with the default skin and the splash screen > reset ALL your preferences

OK. Now compare this to the above:

While Winamp3 is still running, open Shove-it > window is now back > reposition window

LOL! Which would you prefer to do??
Quote:
Thanx anyway for that Shove-it link ... have already backed up that for later use (if I ever face that again)
Yer welcome, Jochen
Old 30th April 2003, 12:05   #10
Jochen

Oh well,

I'd definetly prefer method #4 untill it is fixed someday (maybe I should email the author to do so ?):

Just don't play with Scale & Opacity on certain skins

Hey, attached is a screenshot to explain why I like that specific thing (very clear in minimum visibility on my overloaded desktop )
Attached Images
File Type: gif minima.gif (3.6 KB, 423 views)
Old 27th May 2003, 21:29   #11
VegasVic

My problem was with the Third party skin MINIMA I am sure it happens to other skins. The problem is when I 'window' like the EQ, it rolls down past the main window and past the playlist, shoving the main window below the taskbar. This causes the main window to disappear - for good. I tried the Shove-It program mentioned earlier, however, I couldn't seem to make it work. I think I figured out how to use the program, I saw that you couldn't use the Shove-It program if the application was Always-on-top so I used the menu to make it not on top, however, I think it just changed the EQ box and not the Main window. Finally had to Delete the Studio file.

aarrgh... At least I know how to fix it now.

Thanx
Old 5th June 2003, 00:11   #12
Sad Man Here

Missing Playlist Window

I am Sad... the reason why is that Win-Amp is not showing my playlist window anywhere. This is not good... this makes me sad. I have already deleted studio.xnf and have tryed shove it.... without any luck. I have d/l and reloaded, and switched and configured, and poked around many problems with Win-Amp from Winamp 2. I now have Win-Amp 3 and there are the best viewers and players by far. Although I have had my cshare of problems with it I am usually able to fix them or I dig into the forums and fix them. But this time I can't. I use Winamp 95% of the time while I use my PC which is alot. I need help... Please help the Sad Man ;'( Make my Playlist Editor reappear!
Thank you
Old 5th June 2003, 04:06   #13
sheer64

have you tryied (i know that this may sound dumb, but) opening the "thinger" and then turning on the platlist from there, then close the "thinger" and then hit F5?? might work....
Old 5th June 2003, 04:26   #14
sheer64

also if that doesnt work make sure that all the important info is in your studio.xnf file
there should be a pic here of some of the code
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (99.8 KB, 419 views)

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Technical Support