Old 27th March 2003, 01:26   #1
Dream Walker

I Can't Tune In!!!!

I don't understand whats going on?!? I can't tune in anymore, it was workng fine, and i have never had any problems before this...

when i try to tune in, by clicking on the "tune in" icon on the station i want to listen to, it just says this:

Too many requests. Try again tomorrow.

and thats all it says!!! on a completely blank white page. and I have tried all the stations, and it says the same message every time, and plus i've been waiting days, and still no change....Grrrrrr!

plz help!
Dream Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2003, 04:06   #2
flybynite

same thing

i am experiencing the same thing. whats up
flybynite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2003, 10:58   #3
BeaNz

Send a message via AIM to BeaNz Send a message via Yahoo to BeaNz
Try downloading Winamp again!!!
BeaNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2003, 23:11   #4
FesterHead
Alumni

Does it happen with every station?

Please post a link to the station(s) you receive this response.

FesterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2003, 00:35   #5
peppert
UID 0

This response occurs when someone at your location has attempted to tune into more than 600 stations in a 24 hour period. if more than 600 tune-in requests are received from your Class C network (/24), the subnet is not allowed more tune-in requests until the following day (beginning at midnight).

This is usually caused by someone (perhaps you) on your subnetwork running software which scans the entire shoutcast directory and downloads a playlist for every station inside. At present, only 27 class C networks are being blocked.

There are a number of applications for unix and the xbox which currently request-bomb the database. in the interest of keeping everyone able to access the directory, excessive use of the directory is now blocked. I'm sorry if it's not you and is someone else on your network, but we do have to be a little strict on this front to keep the free service running smoothly for all.

This block had to be effected because people were republishing the directory without permission. If you're interested in republishing or including the directory in your client, feel free to contact us to negotiate a license and we're happy to provide you with the XML feed of our directory.
peppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2003, 00:43   #6
FesterHead
Alumni

Thanks for the notification, peppert

Old 29th March 2003, 05:09   #7
Dream Walker

This is so lame

Peppert this is so lame...

first of all, I have not been logging in to stations in excess of 600 times in a 24 hr. period, thats absurd! I normally log in to about 30 different stations in a night. But now i am being blocked after logging in to one station, or two, or maybe three at best. This is so damn lame, especially considering the over all benefit this listener/server relationship has for all.

There must be a way you can help me, plz consider my plea, i can't stand not being able to listen to my favorite stations.

Dream Walker
Dream Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2003, 08:46   #8
jesseg

Dream Walker,

Log in to shoutcast right after midnight (eastern right tp?) before lil Jimmy down the street with his xbox rapes the yps - and save your favorite stations as winamp bookmarks.

If lil Jimmy screws it up for everyone on your block... seems to be tuff luck for you mang.

Locking out individual IPs isnt going to stop much content theft, block a whole c-class will.

Optionally you could find out who lil Jimmy is and go kick the living crap outta him...
jesseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2003, 18:57   #9
DJHotIce
Forum Loser
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to DJHotIce Send a message via Yahoo to DJHotIce
Thats not real cool!

-DJHotIce
Bounce Multimedia - Professional Web Design
DJHotIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2003, 10:09   #10
David Robinson

So moderators, please explain to me how I am supposed to locate the source of all these requests. There's no-one here but me and my cable modem. I have no way of knowing who in my area has a cable modem, let alone whether they are in the same subnet. I can understand why you are doing what you are doing, but it doesn't alter the fact that a large number of innocent users are locked out of the system indefinitely.

There simply has to be a better way.
David Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2003, 17:13   #11
jesseg

Did you try using Winamp2.91's built in shoutcast listings?? (in the media library)
jesseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 10:42   #12
james2k2

this is so unfair! NTL have recently put in a Proxy Server which will have it's own Subnet and it covers the whole Cable Modem service all over the UK... So all these idiots with X-Box's will stop MILLIONS of users from listening to streaming music!!! So unless NTL stop using this new Proxy Server or you find another way of blocking excessive users! This is really starting to annoy me and iv'e been waiting around a month for it to be fixed.
james2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 16:01   #13
FesterHead
Alumni

See if your ISP will help track down the offenders.

Old 22nd May 2003, 16:21   #14
David Robinson

Quote:
Originally posted by festerhead
See if your ISP will help track down the offenders.
Of course they won't. It would be well nigh impossible, and it's not their problem.
Old 23rd May 2003, 03:13   #15
invis

Send a message via ICQ to invis Send a message via AIM to invis Send a message via Yahoo to invis
You know, if they are piping everyone through a proxy server, then it would appear that all those cable users are coming from one location... thus making it look like 600 hits came from one addy or one class C rather than being all seperate like it should be.
invis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2003, 17:58   #16
james2k2

it's just really annoying, and NTL have done it for security reasons so they won't be removing it anytime soon. So i suggest they block a range IP's per day.
Old 8th June 2003, 04:59   #17
Hucks

OK let me get this straight. I'm on Time Warner cable modem. WinAmp Shout Cast is a AOL-TW Company. I have AOL. If I'm getting an error message like this it's cause Time Warner cable an AOL-TW Co is dumping me in with every other cable customer so that after logging into my own station only twice I'm banned by one AOL-TW Co because another AOL-TW Co is dumping with other cable members... or in other words I need a new cable modem co... Am I reading this right?
Hucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2003, 11:39   #18
james2k2

right, Winamp shoutcast blocks a Subnet mask, and people with XBox have a program that surfs the station list, each time it is surfed, it uses up one of the 600 access attempts (don't quite know why). Now then... the same subnet mask is normally applied to say a group of people in one street or block. If there are lots of people with Xbox's surfing the radio list all the time, then you will also be locked out until the next day, so unless you have a direct link to the radio station, you are locked out from downloading the playlists bcso of ppl with Xbox's who surf the list.
Old 8th June 2003, 12:22   #19
Hucks

So in other words AGAIN AOL-TW divisons aren't talking to each other and the members are the ones being hurt... and AOLs membership is down to what? :::shakes head in confusion as to why the corp ain't got a clue::: I don't even know what a XBox is. And as for me talking to Time Warner cable roflao, I had to show the cable guy how to install my cable modem to my card. Um any other suggestion? I live in a rural area where I would doubt there are many breaking the rules or use WinAmps Shout Cast stations. Populatiom 3500. If I'm being blocked from my station all together not just playlist. And if this is the case how can I broadcast from the same IP that is being blocked? Wouldn't the station be blocked too?
Old 8th June 2003, 12:29   #20
james2k2

Broadcasting isn't blocked. just recieving the playlists. And it's blocked because of ppl with Xbox are doing listing and anybody who is using the Xbox and is on the same subnet mask, then they will be wasting all the access attempts. My suggestion, try what your doinf at 12:00am GMT.
Old 8th June 2003, 14:18   #21
Hucks

I don't really understand what Xbox is. But if it is hardware isn't there a way to block that type of hardware as oppossed to blocking whole groups of people? Isn't this really a software issue that Shout Cast isn't addressing by rewriting the code to block whatever Xbox is? I'm sure I'm wrong. Mean while the errors only happen thru AOL online service as far as I can tell. I can get the station thru IE on Road Runner just fine. Thanks for everybodies help in trying to inform me of what's going on. I'm trying to learn as fast as I can :*) lol. Thanks again.
Old 8th June 2003, 15:19   #22
james2k2

Xbox is a games console made by Microsoft. And there is an application that has been written for it's Broadband/Cable connection to the internet that illegaly fetches the Shoutcast listing every 30 mins or so. By illegally i mean it fetches the list thru a non-official console.
Old 8th June 2003, 16:26   #23
Hucks

Thank you for letting me know this. I had no idea. Not really into games at all. Now I understand what's doing it but don't understand why they can't be blocked. Seeing as I'm on an AOL cable system, using AOL online, thru Road Runner another AOL system to do Shout Cast (again AOL). Seems since this is all AOL-TW they would know how to block the Xbox users in my area without hurting the good guys/gals. MHO. Anywho Thanks!
Old 17th June 2003, 19:50   #24
David Robinson

So, I see the problem is still not fixed. Come on Shoutcast, apply yourselves. This is getting silly. At the very least, let's have a meaningful explanation displayed when the error occurs, rather than that pathetic looking line of text. It's so unprofessional.

I still don't understand why you can't single out the offending users. If everyone had to log in to use the system, as we do to use the forums, this would be easy.
Old 17th June 2003, 20:08   #25
Tom

If you're getting put through a proxy on port 80 then http://www.shoutcast.com:666 should bypass the proxy (AOL & NTL).
If you're not on a proxy and someone on your subnet is abusing the yp then in short you are out of luck. Due to dynamic IPs it is not feasible to just lock out a single IP since they could simply disconnect and reconnect and then abuse the yp again.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 19:48   #26
David Robinson

Tom, you are a genius! The 666 fixes it. So why wasn't this suggested before? James, does it work for you?
Old 19th June 2003, 00:20   #27
Hucks

I read this and am listed. But most of the people who can't conect or get a station shown as not there are from AOL. Is there anything else that would cause this maybe on their end? Was just wondering if so I could post something on the web page. Or should I contact AOL online tech support? TIA
Hucks
Old 27th June 2003, 00:46   #28
YepMeAgain

Ok, It has been months now, since I last was able to use (click to play) the Shoutcast list, and now found a quick solution: use one of the anonimous proxy servers to acces the shoutcast page and most of the time there subnets aren't blocked!

I used 'the-cloak.com':
ex.: http://www.the-cloak.com/Cloaked/+cf...shoutcast.com/

b.t.w.: I think this 'blocking of subnets'-solution realy stinks:...
Why don't they allow to spread these lists out freely to other mirror sites? This shoutcast list is based on unpayed-for music streams and are played by an unpayed-for player (winamp), so what's the big deal here?...

Last edited by YepMeAgain; 27th June 2003 at 01:41.
YepMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2003, 00:51   #29
FesterHead
Alumni

Please don't generalize. I pay for my music.
Matter of fact, I've spent $1262.57 this year on cds.

Also, if you had some folks constantly pinging your site reducing the quality of service for everyone what would you do? Since some ISPs hand out dynamic IPs, there is no effective way to ban single IPs.

Yes, it sucks. A few can ruin it for many.

Old 27th June 2003, 01:18   #30
YepMeAgain

Ok, then... let me try not to generalize:

MOST of the music stream servers out there REALY DON'T pay for the tracks they broadcast... and... MOST of the listeners out there also REALY DON'T pay for the music they hear...

And for a solution: They CAN block individual IP's , in fact this is very effective as dynamic IP's don't change that often, these IP's could be blocked for say some 24h, so that the real 'offenders' will effectively be denied while the rest of us (normal) users can be allowed to use our 600 tune-in attemts... hell, they can even limit the 600 to 50 for my part!!!
Old 29th June 2003, 13:47   #31
Axiom

I can't tune in too

Im also receiving the Too many requests. Try again tomorrow error message.

I've tried the http://www.shoutcast.com:666 fix but im still receiving the same errors.

And yes im connnected via bleedin NTL.

Yepmeagain suggested the http://www.the-cloak.com/Cloaked/+c....shoutcast.com/ fix but i could do with more information relating to where the URL needs to be stored to make a difference.

I logged on this morning without any problems and could tune in but when left it a few hoursz and came back later i received the same error again!

Any other suggested fixes would be appeciated.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2003, 15:11   #32
YepMeAgain

You can use one of the many free HTTP-proxies out there. What I did was search one that connected to ports above 1024 (others are blocked by my isp) and used it in Netscape Navigator. So whenever I can't tune in via my local proxy from my ISP (using IE), I now use Netscape to load the shoutcast playlist.

Here you can find many free proxy servers:

http://www.atomintersoft.com/product...xy/proxy-list/
Old 29th June 2003, 15:38   #33
YepMeAgain

Ok, I just downloaded winamp 2.91 (didn't know development on 2.x was continued after v3.0...) and guess what? -> now you can open up the library and see all available (shoutcast?) channels immediatly in a list! and even video channels...

So if you got problems retrieving any of those lists, I guess you could try using any of those free proxies form http://www.atomintersoft.com/product...xy/proxy-list/ into winamp 2.91 directly then.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support