Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 19th April 2003, 13:22   #1
xWeaselx

iPod?

Are there any updates as to when/if the iPod plugin for winamp 2 will be released? I had hoped it would be released with 2.9 but of course it wasn't. The only thing I've heard since then is that it hasn't been released for legal reasons which doesn't make much sense because there are already programs like ephpod and Xplay which work with the iPod and arn't made by Apple.

[EDIT: This thread is for archive only! Please see the parent forum! --will]
Old 21st April 2003, 03:36   #2
unfletch

Re: iPod?

I don't have anything new info for you, I'm mostly replying just to second the question and bump the thread back up.

I will offer that even though XPlay and ephpod don't seem to care much about legal implications of iPod support, neither of their creators are AOL's Nullsoft (said in a booming voice), and, as such, don't have nine thousand lawyers reviewing everything they do.

Hopefully the Nullsoft developers can convince the laywers there's no good reason not to release the plugin.
Old 21st April 2003, 07:25   #3
SS4Matt

Send a message via AIM to SS4Matt Send a message via Yahoo to SS4Matt
I second this question...

I know that the iPod can now be used with windows, but theres one thing keeping me from buying it. I have to many MP3s. if I could just put all my MP3s on the harddrive and my playlist... that would be great... Has anyone heard anything about something like that? If so, please tell.
Old 21st April 2003, 19:56   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

Try the alpha.
Report bugs here

[edit] don't use this - see updated version below [/edit]
Attached Files
File Type: zip wa29-ipod.zip (15.8 KB, 1101 views)
Old 22nd April 2003, 02:02   #5
xWeaselx

How do you go about installing this plug-in? I unziped the .dll file into C:\Winamp\Plugins and then connected my iPod to the PC. When I go to Library I still don't see it listed as a device. Am I missing a step?
Old 23rd April 2003, 17:12   #6
xWeaselx

So has anyone been able to get this plug-in to work with your iPod? If so, what did you do?
Old 23rd April 2003, 21:53   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

I've no idea mate.
Maybe someone else here knows?
(It's Nullsoft's plugin, I don't even have an iPod).

Here, try this slightly updated version.

[edit] don't use this - see updated version below [/edit]
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp290-ipod.zip (51.6 KB, 1143 views)
Old 23rd April 2003, 23:56   #8
xWeaselx

Thanks, that one worked. After testing it out for a few minutes the following should be added/fixed:

*When you try and sort by Bitrate or Size it doesn't sort properly. All the other catagories (i.e. Artist, Title, Length, etc...) sort properly

*You should be able to add songs to the iPod. Right now all you can do is remove songs

*Along with adding songs you should be able to add playlists built in winamp

*The edit tag feature is pretty weak. Why not just use the same edit tag screen used with Winamp?

That's it for now

Last edited by xWeaselx; 24th April 2003 at 00:25.
Old 25th April 2003, 15:56   #9
AMG

what about a plug-in that works with software like xplay? I like this little free one for 2.9, but, maybe they could hook up with xplay like microsoft did with their windows media player? if microsoft (even louder booming voice) can hook up with someone to make the ipod work good then hopefully nullsoft can too.
Old 25th April 2003, 23:54   #10
unfletch

Quote:
Originally posted by AMG
if microsoft (even louder booming voice) can hook up with someone to make the ipod work good then hopefully nullsoft can too.
Actually, like Winamp, WMP has a plugin architecture open to 3rd party developers. Mediafour didn't need to consult MS at all when building the iPod plugin for WMP.

Similarly, now that there is a plugin-capable media library in Winamp 2.x, XPlay's makers could bust out their own iPod plugin for Winamp without any help from Nullsoft.

..and I'm with you in hoping they do. =)
Old 9th July 2003, 12:21   #11
hellRaven

Hi!
I've just tested this iPod plug-in with WA 2.90, 2.91 and 2.95.
Everytime I opend the iPod view in the ML WA locked up. Waited a long time but nothing changed. Also no harddrive access on the iPod.
Is there a new version of the plug-in available somewhere (I haven't found one. Neither on winamp.com nor 'out there'...)
Thanks!

Old 4th August 2003, 13:41   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

Don't use this, see latest update here

[October 2003]

Also use the iPod-tree fix (unzip & upload contents to formatted iPod)

No longer required with latest update

This should fix the freeze-up issues.
So you should now be able to upload your music back to ipod using winamp/ml.

(was required fix for version of plugin attached below only)

note: these edits were inserted AFTER all the comments below.

[EDIT: December 2003]

Still hanging? See HERE

[/EDIT]

Nullsoft ipod_plugin (Aug 2003) attached here:
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp295-ipod-fixed.zip (51.8 KB, 2782 views)
Old 4th August 2003, 14:14   #13
hellRaven

Thanks for the update. But it still doesn't work for me...

Whether I connect the iPod before starting Winamp or while Winamp is already running makes no difference.
With the iPod connected clicking on "iPod" in the ML makes Winamp not responding any more. It uses as much CPU as it gets and I have to kill it through the task-manager.
There's also no access to the iPod's HDD. The indicator (top-left on iPod's LCD) blinks every now and then but it's not visibel for a longer period (as it is when data is read from the iPod).

I'm running WinXP and tested it with WA 2.92 and 2.95 on two different PCs (one with a clean WA-installation without any plug-ins besides the ML and iPod-extension) and one notebook.
My iPod is a Gen2 one with the 1.3 firmware installed.

Old 4th August 2003, 18:19   #14
Reaper
Forum King

Doesn't work for me too. Same problem as hellRaven.

3rd generation iPod
System Software: 2.0.1
Winamp 2.95

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 5th August 2003, 21:05   #15
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Same as per Reaper and hellRaven.
3g 30gig iPod, 2.0.1 sw, xp, and a clean wa295 install.

I'll zip up my iPod control folder (-music of course) and upload it somewhere accessible if it's useful.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 18th August 2003, 23:58   #16
Vimto

Mine autodetected the wrong drive letter, but once I changed that, it works a charm . This is amazing, just what I been looking for
Old 19th August 2003, 05:00   #17
hellRaven

Quote:
Originally posted by Vimto
Mine autodetected the wrong drive letter, but once I changed that, it works a charm . This is amazing, just what I been looking for
I'm glad it works for you!
Could you tell us what kind of iPod do you have, wich Winamp version, operating system and iPod firmware you use? Thanks.

Old 19th August 2003, 07:08   #18
Vimto

20 Gig Windows iPod - Firmware version 1.3
Winamp version 2.91 (maybe you should try this version)
I just downloaded the full version from the winamp site, and extracted the plugin to the plugins folder
My Operating System is XP Pro
Old 19th August 2003, 08:14   #19
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

This plugin has never really worked for me well, so i recommend ephpod, which has been working great for me

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 19th August 2003, 09:00   #20
hellRaven

Quote:
Originally posted by Vimto
Winamp version 2.91 (maybe you should try this version)
I meant 2.91 in my previous post but typed 2.92... Sorry :-/

Old 19th August 2003, 19:02   #21
Vimto

I didn't like ephpod when I last tried it. Had issues deleting files. It also kept popping up the id3 tag box for my untagged mp3s, which is the most annoying thing in the world. Winamp lets me do it in a nice simple manner, in my own time. This plugin rox.
Old 20th August 2003, 14:07   #22
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
[off topic]

have anyone use the IHP-100 from IRiver:

http://www.iriver.com/product/info.a...p_name=iHP-100

I think that I will buy it

[/off topic]

o_0
Old 2nd September 2003, 14:15   #23
clownercockwise

I had problems deleting with ephpod also, having to delete the same file(s) more than one. I wound up going with Xplay.
Old 18th October 2003, 17:36   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

*bump*

see my edited post above for ipod-tree.zip fix
Old 24th October 2003, 03:17   #25
nifti

Ok, I've now gotten a hang of the iPod plugin. After waiting a long time(with winamp not responding) I finally had loaded all the songs on my iPod. The loading time has to be worked on..(Or atleast there should be a 0-100% progressbar or something). Porhaps you should be able to "manually load database" so you only load it when you synchronize which from what I saw wasen't possible yet?! Important is that it should be possible to synchronize playlists also at the same time!(some of the iPod programs have missed that..)
Old 5th November 2003, 23:11   #26
nifti

I've now gotten it fixed, and it's now working, I'm loading over all my songs right now. I'm just wondering if it will delete files on the iPod if it's deleted from the library? Also there should be a syncronize button, so you don't have to "add" the library everytime you add, delete or change some files.. Cuz it detects that an id3 tag has been changed and updates the edited song, right?

Am I just thick or can't you add playlists?

EDIT: Fixed some small errors

Last edited by nifti; 5th November 2003 at 23:35.
Old 21st November 2003, 16:39   #27
drGonzo

Just trying out the ipod plugin & it's working great. One thing I noticed though is that all the music being loaded onto the ipod is being renamed as follows:

ml_ipod00079.mp3
ml_ipod00080.mp3...

Is there an option to stop the renaming or is this the normal function of the plugin? What is the purpose of the track renaming? Xplay doesn't rename any of the tracks...

All in all a killer winamp addition, works so smoothly that maybe it's time to retire xplay..
Old 26th November 2003, 17:31   #28
roele

The plugin look good but doesn't work with Winamp 5RC8, my iPod 3rd generation 15GB, Firmware 2.1.0 and WinXP.

Would be great if WA5 would come with this feature this could force a lot of people change from ephPod or MusicMatch to WA

If i'd have more programming experience with C++ i'd try to help this issues fixed :-(
Old 26th November 2003, 19:35   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp Team

Please expand a bit more on "doesn't work".

Did you also use the ipod-tree fix, as well as the plugin?

Can anyone else please confirm whether the plugin & ipod-tree fix works with Winamp 5.0 or not ?!
Old 26th November 2003, 20:13   #30
drGonzo

Hi DJ Egg

I am using the ipod tree fix & the plugin with my 1st gen ipod(Mac converted to Win, firmware v1.3) & winamp 5RC8 on my XP Pro SP1 box. Everything works just fine. Just the track renaming issue that I asked about above...

Cheers,
Rob
Old 28th November 2003, 01:27   #31
nifti

My requests:

To work without the iPod tree fix - It should only have to scan through the whole "Music" folder of the iPod and add the id3 tag info from the files or atleast it should work without the filenames having to be in a certain pattern.
Progressbar when scanning and adding and removing files - So you won't think that winamp has freezed the computer rather then adding to the DB..

Option to save the iPod DB(Not the files..) - If you only use winamp to manage the iPod DB it won't change from last time you changed in the DB. Also there should be a "Scan DB" option.. This could help for the "freezing bug". Or porhaps it can check the size of the iTunesDB file and if unchanged don't scan(porhaps it already does..). Porhaps it doesn't work that way, I don't know..

Add playcounts(and other song info) from iPod DB to the winamp song info DB - This is probably the only thing that iTunes can do with the ipod that winamp can't.. If this is added there should be a "Add playcount" button.

EDIT: Some small fixes..

Last edited by nifti; 28th November 2003 at 02:27.
Old 29th November 2003, 01:18   #32
AnalogRoaming

Tree Fix questions

I have a 2nd generation IPod. In version 5.0 beta 2, it worked fine but I couldn't see any playlists. I assume that hasn't been implemented yet.

On RC8, having my iPod connected to the machine when I load Winamp crashes the program (Hang).

I looked into the "tree fix" but I don't understand what it does.... I have those files on my iPod already... if I overwrite them, I lose all of my songs because it will replace my songs database.

Can someone give me a little more information about the tree fix and what it's supposed to do?

I'm really excited about WA5, btw.
Old 30th November 2003, 21:22   #33
wdekler

The same problem here: first, the ipod plugin was working fine with winamp5 rc8. Then, I had format my Ipod (just for some testing) and from now on, Winamp 5 hangs upon startup. I've also tried reformatting, apply the treefix but that doesn't help either.

System specs:
Windows XP SP1
P4 2,4 512MB
Ipod 3G fw 2.1

I've some debugging info is needed, please let me know!

Wanne.
Old 5th December 2003, 00:19   #34
nifti

DJ EGG? Will this plugin be updated?

Porhaps the development should be turned over to the plugin genie DrO. And in this process nullsoft donates an iPod to him for all the programming time his taken from the team! :P

No, but really, are there gonna be any improvements in this plugin, maybe it should go open-source..?

EDIT: Hmm, that sounded kinda weird, I hope you understand what I mean to say..
Old 7th December 2003, 12:44   #35
roele

Would be great if this project could go opensource. In this case a lot of new improvements could be added
Till now i use iTunes for synchronizing my iPod but iTunes needs a lot of system resources, a lot more than Winamp would. I tried a lot of other softwares like ephPod which worked perfectly but were not so nice like iTunes. The possibility to exclude tracks from synchronizing is integrated perfectly into iTunes. Such a system would be great for an iPod Plugin perhaps in a later stage

I'm sure that this community will find a solution to sync their iPods with Winamp

Just my 2 cents,
Roland
Old 8th December 2003, 22:00   #36
pentorqueleably

I want to try out the tree & plugin with the 5 rcs but... is the plugin designed to work only with Windows-formatted iPods? Mine's formatted Mac, 2nd gen, updated firmware. Lately I've been getting frustrated with Xplay. It's damn slow. It'd kick ass to be able to browse my pod in the 5 ML.
Old 9th December 2003, 02:12   #37
drGonzo

Hi pentorqueleably

Just reformat your macpod into a winpod with this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120236
Works just fine, I've switched my 5gb model back & forth a few times. The ipod tree fix & the latest plugin work fine.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 12th December 2003, 09:36   #38
barto

Fixed version of iPod Plugin

as the ipod plugin posted above by DJ egg also just hang my winamp, I went and fixed it yesterday. Technically, I backported the get_pl() function of GTKpod into the ml_ipod plugin. I updated the dll and ipoddb.cpp and packed it back together.
Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip ipod-plugin-fixed[barto].zip (52.3 KB, 1909 views)
Old 12th December 2003, 10:21   #39
Cody
dot com bomb
Beta Team

You don't need the windows formated ipod. You can use the mac formated as long as you have mac drive or another way of reading the mac file system on windows. Winamp5 works find with my mac formated ipod and XP.
Old 12th December 2003, 12:23   #40
hellRaven

Re: Fixed version of iPod Plugin

Quote:
Originally posted by barto
as the ipod plugin posted above by DJ egg also just hang my winamp, I went and fixed it yesterday.
Thanks a lot! It works (WA 2.91).

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion