Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins

Old 29th August 2003, 00:12   #1
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
Talking Prerelease! Color themers, Bug testers, Comments welcome!

Hey guys!

My latest skin, and my best!
As i couldn't find any real bugs, i don't think there are some, but please tell me, if i'm wrong!
And, as always, i'm looking for color themes! Would be great if i'd get submitted some!
Btw, this skin is grear for desktopalpha DISabled, too!
It still needs some work, but it's just a prerelease (and in my eyes it'd be even good enough for a final release). OK, here u go:

Cals_eye.wal

Frozen skins: Gravestone Betaskins: Mushroom ::-:: The Claw
In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
-=RoNtZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 01:21   #2
Da_Pipe

Send a message via ICQ to Da_Pipe Send a message via Yahoo to Da_Pipe
There is a problem with turning on/off the chromelayout and the mouseover effects working right. It's kinda funny sometimes it works right and sometimes it doesn't. There is also a problem with the visualization remembering the correct state after a mouseover effect. Sometimes it goes back to the right one and sometimes it doesn't. I also had a problem with the play/pause button not wanting to play. But that was only once, so it could have been a winamp bug. Besdies all that, it's a pretty neat skin. I like it.

Blah!
Da_Pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 10:49   #3
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
erm, about your first problem: i could BET u didn't read the instruction manual! .. if u toggle the chrome on/off,u should reload the skin, otherwise the mouseoveranis won'T work.
didn't know the second problem, thx a lot! btw, with which vis did u have this problem?
i never saw the third problem, so u might be right about the winamp bug

In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
Old 29th August 2003, 10:59   #4
Da_Pipe

viz1, viz2, and hidden. if you select anyone of them then do a mouse over sometimes it goes back to the previous one and sometimes it goes back to one you selected.
sorry about the the first one. i just skimmed the manual, didn't really read it.

Blah!
Old 29th August 2003, 11:16   #5
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

oh yeah.. thx a lot! got it! *going to work an fixin it*

Old 29th August 2003, 15:33   #6
Da_Pipe

i hope you don't mind but i was bored and having to refresh after changing the chrome really bugged me for some reason, so i fixed it for you. Basically all you do is combine the layer_switch.m and animation.m and add a few more lines. i'll attach the modified animation.m so you can add if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: m animation.m (10.1 KB, 549 views)

Blah!
Old 29th August 2003, 15:38   #7
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

WOW! thx a lot! that thing was really bugging me!
...u'll be mentionned in the credits, that's fur sure!

P.S.: Your script didn'T work for me, too ... the problem is the hide-thing. i just disabled it in the actual version, so nobody will get problems with that, untill it's fixed If u hink, ur script is working, hide the vis, then switch to another and move your mouse over a button... and the vis is hided again :-/

P.P.S.: for all of you, who are asking themselves "where can i get the new version????" .. it's the same download as above even the script the script is the same, but one little 0 that has changed to 1 .... *wow! it's magic!*

P.P.P.S.: SORRY DA_PIPE! didn't read properly! i didn't get the point that u fixed the chrome-thingie! ur script's working FINE! it still got a little bug, but perhaps i can now get it myself! thx one more time!

Last edited by -=RoNtZ=-; 29th August 2003 at 17:11.
Old 29th August 2003, 18:46   #8
clickmatch

Every Skin needs an orange set!

=)

code:

<gammaset id="Orange">
<gammagroup id="Backgrounds" value="2016, -416, -4096" gray="1"/>
<gammagroup id="Buttons" value="2016, -416, -4096" gray="1"/>
<gammagroup id="Glow" value="2016, -416, -4096" gray="1"/>
</gammaset>

clickmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 18:55   #9
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Thanks a lot pal!

Old 29th August 2003, 21:03   #10
SLoB
Major Dude

nice
like the vis
things i noticed

1. not enough meat on skin to move player around - maybe make the middle section ghost="0"? the double click should still be ok?
2. popup menus dont hold/keep ticks or values selected
3. maybe add colour themes button? (to inset?) or colour themes to skin.xml so its in rightclick menu options

here's a few themes

<gammaset id="SLoB - Black n Blu">
<gammagroup id="Backgrounds" value="-2080, 320, 736" gray="1"/>
<gammagroup id="Buttons" value="-2144,-2144,-2144" gray="2"/>
<gammagroup id="Glow" value="-2080, 320, 736" gray="2" boost="1"/>
</gammaset>
<gammaset id="SLoB - SilverQua">
<gammagroup id="Backgrounds" value="-3648,-1728,-640" gray="1"/>
<gammagroup id="Buttons" value="1248, 1728, 1824" gray="2"/>
<gammagroup id="Glow" value="-2816, 416, 3360" gray="2" boost="1"/>
</gammaset>
<gammaset id="SLoB - OrangePeel">
<gammagroup id="Backgrounds" value="3584, -256, -1216" gray="1"/>
<gammagroup id="Buttons" value="3680, 960, -672" gray="1"/>
<gammagroup id="Glow" value="2624, 832, -2176" gray="2" boost="1"/>
</gammaset>
<gammaset id="SLoB - Poorple">
<gammagroup id="Backgrounds" value="-1100,-1100, 500" gray="0"/>
<gammagroup id="Buttons" value="1500, 1500, 3000" gray="2"/>
<gammagroup id="Glow" value="-1100,-1100, 500" gray="1" boost="1"/>
</gammaset>

oh and youve left mc.exe in the wal
SLoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 21:37   #11
ohhjebus

niiice.

only a few gripes about an otherwise wonderful skin.
I agree with slob that there needs to be more area to drag the skin around.

Maybe come up with some sort of animation for the minimize button? It took me a while to realize that was actually a button and not just dead space.

Finally, There is a border of color that shows up under certain color themes. (this is with desktop alpha on)

This is shaping up to be a nice one, finish her.

(edit: one more quick suggestion. maybe put some small c-buttons on the display with the name and time so if you are browsing through songs you don't go through the animation and lose the screen every time.)
ohhjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 22:57   #12
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Hey SLoB, first of all: thx for the themes!

about ur first point: it's not ghosted, no
but i had to put a button over this area, and that's the reason why u can't drag it. but i'm already thinking about a new system ...(two rings, the inner the button area, the outer the dragging area(both invisible!))
2: yeah...bad thing i hope i will EVER get this fixed!tried to fix it the whole day long
3: about the color themes: they'll be included in the configure window in the final release (and perhaps in a future prerelease? sure ) thx for the hint with the mc.exe .. i'm always forgetting that

hey ohhjebus

i think the minimize button is going to change to a "toggle-thinger" button in the very next future, what do u think about that? (and that one'll get its animation )
about the border: since making this skin i was thinking about removing the border, or letting it there. i think i'll remove it now
about ur quick question: that's a very cool idea! will do it!

Old 30th August 2003, 00:57   #13
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

NEW VERSION COMIN' UP!

oook
in the new versions, ur color themes are surely already included.
i fixed the thing with the border and it's got funny c-buttons in its display now!the second vis is updated too, so the animation looks much better now! download is still the link above!

Old 30th August 2003, 01:07   #14
QuadHeliX
Major Dude

Great skin! Very original. I would like you to do that inner ring thing so we can drag it around alittle better. Also i cant remember where the play and eject are, would be nice to see some sort of hint. But the animations are excelent. You mind if I make you an Orb type animation to go with it. It will be clear color glass so color theming would change it nicely.

anywhoo good Job man!!
QuadHeliX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2003, 18:26   #15
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Exclamation And one more time: new version!

Included in this version: Color themes in the Config panel and a drag area!
click in the middle to drag, and double/-click in the outer area (the outer area is about as big as the glass) to get the vis's menus!
perhaps there are some things included i've forgotten at the moment, but....dunno
and as always: use the link above!
quad, sorry, don't think i will include hints for the buttons, but u'll see u'll get used to its handling very fast if u keep it as default skin!
I didn't get what kinda animation u want to make... :-/ .. anyways... do it, and show it to me!

Old 30th August 2003, 20:35   #16
SLoB
Major Dude

maybe glow the lines ()will need a new glow layer) inbeteen the buttons/main carcass when entering area might also help on some of the dark colour themes to distinguish they are actually buttons

just a thought
Old 30th August 2003, 20:57   #17
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

like that thought and will be thinking about it! thx

Old 31st August 2003, 00:51   #18
ohhjebus

quick bug, when you mouse over the toggle the display button, the cbuttons (which i like) flash quickly , but then it fades to the old display.

also is there any way to make it show what you have in the screen shot at the top? I think (like QuadHeliX?) that a simple pulasing orb would be a great vis, what the screenshot you provided looks like it would be.
Old 31st August 2003, 10:19   #19
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

[EDIT] BUGFIX AND NEW VIS! [/EDIT]

hey ohhjebus! thx a lot for that bug! *getting my baseball bat and going bug-killing* *LOL*
aah.. now i get quads idea (i think) ... anyways, i get YOUR idea and it's excellent! *going to work*

[edit] Hey guys! ohhjebus's bug is fixed and the new vis is also included (it's looking great! ) Download above! [/edit]

Last edited by -=RoNtZ=-; 31st August 2003 at 11:25.
Old 31st August 2003, 14:48   #20
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

PLEASE CALL ME DUMBASS!!!!

oh guys, i had this prob with the vis-hiding, now it's fixed.....and it was SO easy... anyways, download above

Old 2nd September 2003, 11:44   #21
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

oh how i love ur comments *g*

Old 2nd September 2003, 12:25   #22
SLoB
Major Dude

this is the sort of feedback we need from this forum when skins are at this sort of stage and beta, shame that the guys/gals in the forum cba to give this feedback as much as they could.

ive asked for feedback on a few occasions on my 1st skin but it seems i may have been better off talking to the brick wall, so -=RoNtZ=- you are lucky to get the above of course it may mean extra work to spruce something up but at least its positive feedback
Old 2nd September 2003, 12:39   #23
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

*LOL* i meant the "no response" and i came up with an update

Old 2nd September 2003, 12:44   #24
SLoB
Major Dude

glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way

its almost like working in the dark

which is why help is asked from the more knowledgeable peeps of the board

I dont mind helping you out with feedback etc in return for the same , most often 2 heads are better than 1 and ya can bounce ideas around etc..
Old 2nd September 2003, 14:21   #25
QuadHeliX
Major Dude

I would love to give more feedback, People just dont leave it like they used to. I dont know if the newness with WA3 is going away or what. It came to the point where I just released my skins with out telling anybody. To get the kind of responces that Invicta was having you have to have 2 moderators in the forum (raz and RPC) Your skin Looks awesome and it will be a big download, just make sure everybody knows whats in it!!
QuadHeliX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2003, 17:13   #26
SLoB
Major Dude

heheh, im not too bothered about skins being better than another, i just want feedback on bugs etc, each skin has its qualities, I just want to produce as bug free as possible skins.

As you said Quad releasing skins without telling any1, what ive found is that as soon as ya release something as final the inevitable happens and ya find a major bug that ya didnt notice before heheh. with more feedback it may have got noticed or other ideas to spark off another cool factor thing or next project etc..

I know its also time consuming to reply to posts too, and as no doubt you'll find guys just saying the skin is good, but that doesnt help the quest to find improvements or kill those bugs

aye I've come into the skinning l8 on so most of the fun thing has probably gone, but it is addictive to put out a good skin, it takes time & effort and is well worth it imo.

maybe those that are willing could make a circle to distribute our skins for bug checking or giving it the once over, with that we're likely to get some decent feedback/ideas etc..
Old 3rd September 2003, 05:53   #27
sanosuke
Major Dude

some gammasets by me:
<gammaset id="Gold Rose">
<gammagroup id="Backgrounds" value="3200, -3680, -3584" gray="0" boost="0"/>
<gammagroup id="Buttons" value="3776, 2592, -1824" gray="0" boost="0" />
<gammagroup id="Glow" value="3776, 4064, 4064" gray="0" boost="0" />
</gammaset>
<gammaset id="Blue blue night">
<gammagroup id="Backgrounds" value="-416, -416, -416" gray="0" boost="1" />
<gammagroup id="Buttons" value="-4096, -4096, -4096" gray="0" boost="1" />
<gammagroup id="Glow" value="-1216, -1216, 2944" gray="1" boost="0" />
</gammaset>

Just one small problem with the skin, the "thinger" seems to be missing

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2003, 11:14   #28
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

big THANK YOU! for those themes!
for your thinger problem: i'm working on it,don't worry!

Old 8th September 2003, 01:09   #29
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

hey guys!
time for a new version!
In the new version, there's a new window for thinger and equalizer. they have no animations yet, but they'll come.
sanosuke, ur themes are included now, too
Download: http://www.testerle.de/wa3/betas/Cals_eye.wal

Old 8th September 2003, 04:26   #30
Black.Ops

rontz ur getting way better at making skins...i remember some of ur first ones...no offence but they looked like shit...but i really like this one
Black.Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2003, 17:04   #31
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

*LOL* thx
i always had early good ones, and shitty ones.. but cal (final will be called hal!) is the best, i think
glad u like it,too

Old 8th September 2003, 17:51   #32
Foxw

Hey Rontz...

Well got a bug for ya and it's a doozy.

Loaded up your latest version and got a "Error while loading script, component is missing"

I think this is tied to the main player cuz for the life of me i can't find the play and display controls... only ones i've found are the min/close and open buttons, rest of the ring is non responceive

[edit]

Okay, that was my fault, the mp3 i was using was currupt, I tried diff and the Play controls are working, but still get nothing for the display...

~Fox
Skins in dev | Prime | Untitled | STARGATE
My Deviantness

Last edited by Foxw; 8th September 2003 at 18:14.
Foxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2003, 18:20   #33
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

ok... hm.. what exactly do you mean by "but still get nothing for the display..."? sorry, my english is REALLY bad! on my pc the display's working, and i don't get no errormessages, so i don'T know what u could mean :-/

Old 8th September 2003, 18:57   #34
Foxw

Hey it's kewl Rontz (after all this is a bug test no?)

Okay, here is the Exact sequence of events in as exact english as i can put it.

I load the skin.
Recieve the error message "Error while loading a script, a component is missing" box with a OK button and little red button in the top right[i presume it's the standard container close button].

once that's gone the skin loads up, and following the manual i can find the play, open and a few others.

But the display, I clicked all over the thing and it never appears (I can only assume this is the component the error refers too)

Also none of the animations/tooltips appear to be working At all

You've got a really spiffy idea here Rontz, hate to see it plauged by this kind of major problem

~Fox
Skins in dev | Prime | Untitled | STARGATE
My Deviantness
Foxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2003, 19:23   #35
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

oh wow.. that sounds weird!
don't have this prob, so i dunno where and how to start
anyone else got these problems?

oh, and foxw: thanks a lot for the report!!!

Old 8th September 2003, 20:38   #36
SLoB
Major Dude

lookin good m8
nice to havs list:-
  • volume, seek counts on ticker
  • center animation on minimise (might not be apparent wot that buttons does until u w8 for the tooltip to show)
  • maybe another addition to the cfg screen of setting the opacity of the glass highlight, just 2 i reckon (normal and half/?)
  • and also a background shadow option?
  • still no ticks on which modes are set on the vizs
  • maybe a scale button to 3/4 size or fullsize(normal)
Old 8th September 2003, 20:51   #37
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

nice ideas!
about your fourth point: this skin won't get a shadow.. doesn't fit in, i think
about the ticks: don't know how to make them, but they'll come
opacity changer will be included in one of the next versions, thx a lot! volume/seek in the songticker.. dunno.. perhaps.. i think i'll add that stuff, too
animation for minimize/eq/thinger will come in the next versions,too, don'T worry!
scale button: will have to think about that

[EDIT]
Hey Foxw: i hope u don't mind downloading the skin one more time, as ur problem with the scripts is fixed now! Seems that i had forgotten to compile two scripts *g*
For all: New (and as far as i know, now bug-free) version on the link above!
[/EDIT]

Last edited by -=RoNtZ=-; 8th September 2003 at 22:11.
Old 9th September 2003, 12:44   #38
SLoB
Major Dude

not sure if yer gonna be touching up your standard frame parts but they do look a little stretched on the lines, that may have been the intention?
not sure how you work when doing your skins but i use a double sized grfx version when working on mine and when im happy that a part is done ill copy it to a new png and resize it by half, keeping the psd double size (or greater) allows you to add more detail to a skin without losing the quality (too much) when resized.
Old 9th September 2003, 14:05   #39
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

yeah.. dunno if i gonna redo them, myself .. but i think i will in one of the finalreleases.it's not my intention that they look that stretched .. normal looking is like the manual is looking, or the configure box.. i'm making my skins 4 times as big as they shall become and shrink them to a quarter.. .. (btw, try to make such a clear chrome in originalsize.. impossible ) .. but winamp resizes them, too....

Old 9th September 2003, 20:58   #40
ohhjebus

Nice addition of the eq/thinger.

okay i noticed a few things.

You can seen in the picture that:
the chrome only works on the main window
tooltips get hidden behind the main window (i don't know if thats a winamp issue or not)

then a couple of questions. I couldn't seem to move the Cofigure window from the top left of my screen. Is it ment to be stationary. If so, would you reconsider?

When you mouse over the "toggle the display" button, as soon as you mouseover the button the display shows up, then it goes through your animation, which kind of ruins the effect. any way to fix that?

beyond these minor issues, i'm looking forward to a final release.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins