Old 2nd November 2003, 11:07   #1
koby_m

Send a message via ICQ to koby_m Send a message via AIM to koby_m
Docking Winamp5 modern

Anyone Correct me if i'm wrong if i posted in the wrong forum.

I don't know how everyone else use winamp but on my poor machine is is minimized on 95% of time , unless i use a screen resulotion of 1024x768 or bigger and then i can stick it to the top of the screen so it won't take too much space( and that is when is "Windowshade Mode" ).

I have an Idea to build a plugin or add it to winamp and i need some help to know if it's duable.

the Idea : If any of you Use ICQ you might of noticed that it can be attached to the sides of the screen and then ICQ some how ( if any one know how to do this it will be gr8t ) Shrinks the desktop so you can still access the desktop and ICQ , that way the icq doesn't bother any other program and vice versa .

the idea is to make winamp do the same thing but maybe dock to the top of the screen in windowshade mode.

I Attached a small image to decribe how it will look like

P.S sorry about my english , and if i broke any of the forum rules.

koby meir
koby_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 11:09   #2
koby_m

forgot image

forgot the image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plugindemo.jpg (38.8 KB, 802 views)
Old 2nd November 2003, 14:23   #3
DrO

i think the plugin is called x-dock (best to search the plugin section or the forum - saw a recent post for it a week or so back).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 17:28   #4
Rellik
Major Dude

Yup, xdock, but read this and this first
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 21:16   #5
koby_m

thanks guys

that's odd that i missed this plug-in
Old 19th December 2003, 09:06   #6
Miles Prower

Send a message via AIM to Miles Prower
Broken links.
Miles Prower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2003, 09:53   #7
Lord Darius

corrected link :
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=93564

I bet XDock doesn't work with modern skins... as DrO will probably point out, Modern skins use different windows than classic ones.
I guess making the plugin work is just a matter of a small patch, and detecting whether modern or classic skin is used...

a good idea would be to try to contact the author... his mail address is given at the end of the plugin's readme file

i'm just gonna try that.
Lord Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2003, 18:31   #8
DrO

Quote:
I bet XDock doesn't work with modern skins... as DrO will probably point out, Modern skins use different windows than classic ones.
you're about right on that i think. i've posted some code in this thread which may be off use.

-daz
Old 19th December 2003, 22:20   #9
Rellik
Major Dude

I posted in one of the threads I linked above a pseudo workaround on the Xdock/modern skin issue, here's the text:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rellik
Well, I tried XDock, and found that if you use a classic skin, it still works like normal, but it won't work with the modern skin.

What I think you need to so is switch to the classic skin, winshade the classic windows and put them at the top of the screen, then manually configure xdock to the approx size of the modern skin and then switch to the modern skin

I think what Winamp 5 does is hide the classic skin when you switch to a modern skin, so once the classic skin is at the top of the screen then xdock will only react to classic skins, but you can fake it out and then switch to the modern skin
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2003, 13:18   #10
Lord Darius

Old 20th December 2003, 15:56   #11
Kamika007z

Keep me updated as well... I use winamp3's skin for winamp5

Thanks!
Kamika007z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2003, 21:39   #12
sgibbers17

this is a little off topic, but what skin are you using?
sgibbers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 14:08   #13
Lavashaq

regarding xdock

Hi,

I'm the author of Xdock. Recently I have received a lot of emails regarding incompatibility of Xdock with newer versions of Winamp and Windows.

The fact is that I have given up development of Xdock for some time, and currently I am too busy to take on the task of updating it. So I've decided to post the source code in case someone wants to pick it up and improve it. The source will follow in this thread in a few hours.

In the meantime, I ask you to direct all forum threads about Xdock that you know of to this thread, and keep me posted via email about any new versions of Xdock that get released including all references (urls, thread urls, etc.) so I can in turn keep the people who have emailed me posted.

Thanks,
-Lava
(lavashaq at yahoo dot com)
Lavashaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 04:06   #14
Lavashaq

Xdock source

Attached is the source code. Please read copyright.txt.

Keep me updated on any changes and improvements you make to Xdock. I'm curious to know.

Regards,
-Lava
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_xdock-src.zip (74.9 KB, 254 views)
Old 15th January 2004, 09:25   #15
Lord Darius

ok, i'll take care of it
(since i have a sourceforge account, who would be for or against putting it there ?)
Old 23rd January 2004, 14:24   #16
Lord Darius

Damn, now I'm wondering how to accurately retrieve the handle of winamp main window when a modern skin is activated...
(i talk about the visible one, not the "Winamp v1.x" one)

seems its class is "BaseWindow_RootWnd", but there are several windows of that class, and the window caption varies from skin to skin...
hmmm... has anyone found a way to solve that problem yet ?
Old 26th January 2004, 11:51   #17
Lavashaq

Found a couple of threads:

a thread

another thread

-Lava
Old 26th January 2004, 17:10   #18
Lord Darius

thanks Lava, but all of that is Winamp3 related, and doesn't really apply to my problem.

Anyway, finding the window is not a problem, the real problem is selecting it among the several windows having similar attributes, but i'll manage, yes i will .

Btw Lava, I think there's a way to reduce consequently the code related to the docking/undocking (here is an explanation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ng/appbars.asp )

i'll keep everyone informed of the evolutions of the development.
Old 26th January 2004, 18:18   #19
DrO

on sourceforge would be good LD.

as for the getting of the main window as a modern skin, it should always have the caption as "Winamp" - works for my tests with the displaychange plugin and the skins i've tested. so just using FindWindow(..) should be fine.

just had a play with the plugin and wouldn't it be better to only change the band area if the winamp position is properly moved.

what i mean is if the window is in the current docking boundary and you move the window, it would mkae sense not to re create the band area.

drop me a mail and we can discuss this further

-daz
Old 5th February 2004, 00:45   #20
DraconPern

Send a message via ICQ to DraconPern Send a message via AIM to DraconPern
Hi all, I am the developer of TransparentFX, and my problem with getting the plugin to work with wa5 seems to be the same as Xdock. So, if I can figure it out for one, I can get it work for another... Let's see what happens.
DraconPern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2004, 06:07   #21
stopgap

any news on this?

Hi,

I've been using xdock on Winamp 5, but the classic skin window moves itself when I switch to the modern skin, so I have to switch back to classic and redock every time I restart winamp. I'd like to hear if anyone has updated Xdock to work with modern skin yet.

Thanks,
BK
stopgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2004, 17:48   #22
Lord Darius

argh, not yet...

i don't see the miracle solution yet... maybe i should have a look in the recent sdk updates, just in case.
Old 14th February 2004, 22:07   #23
DrO

how about using GetWindowFromPoint() when you detect a mouse button message? i can't remember if i've tried it or not but i think that should work (will have to check my test code projects out).

that way you can get the modern skin main window or the real one in classic skin mode. so for xdock, that should be fine i think

-daz
Old 25th February 2004, 19:53   #24
homeboyJim

Send a message via AIM to homeboyJim
I was poking around winamp.com, trying to see if I could dock WA5 across the top of my screen, when I noticed this thread.

I tried the "hack" to get XDock to work, but it doesn't seem to like the fact that I dock goScreen (virtual desktops) across the top, and dock my GAIM buddy list on the right side.

Any updates on getting XDock fixed?

Or *gasp*, do you think this should be a feature request for winamp? seems like a reasonable thing to request of a music player.
homeboyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 12:12   #25
Lord Darius

One request i make is : Please, create an IPC message parameter that returns the handle of the main modern skin window .

Oh and it would be nice if the IPC_ADD_PREFS_DLG message could return the handle of the newly created dialog, it would be a convenience for C++ usage when the window proc is the static member of a class.

should i make these requests in the official wishlist, or ?
Old 26th February 2004, 14:36   #26
Safai

Send a message via ICQ to Safai
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Darius
Oh and it would be nice if the IPC_ADD_PREFS_DLG message could return the handle of the newly created dialog, it would be a convenience for C++ usage when the window proc is the static member of a class.

should i make these requests in the official wishlist, or ?
I also had that problem when I did mine... solved it through some hacky way. As you can see, the pref dlg is ONLY created when you select it in the preference dialog... so there is probably no way for that IPC to return the hwnd... maybe some other callback or something...

the other way is to add a lParam to the IPC so that we can get it in WM_INITDIALOG.
Safai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 19:10   #27
MÆST

any progress? ... I'm really looking forward to a x dock type plugin to work with Winamp5
MÆST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 19:15   #28
DrO

have you tried the latest version (5.03) and the modern skin? as for native classic skin support from what i can gather it's very doubtful

-daz
Old 9th April 2004, 11:06   #29
Lord Darius

no need for a plugin now, as winamp 5.03 has the option to dock when put in shade mode...
seems to work pretty fine

*happy*
Old 9th April 2004, 12:39   #30
DrO

we just need an improved version for classic mode now (i've started making a new plugin similar to xdock which creates a proper appbar instead of the hacks that xdock uses )

hopefully it'll be finished soon (since i want to add an appbar to jtfe as well)

-daz
Old 11th April 2004, 15:36   #31
Lord Darius

and why not a desk band, then ? :P

(and it's true the xdock uses strange hacks, lol, just as if the author has forgotten to have a look in MSDN)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development