Old 5th December 2003, 02:37   #1
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Wasabi: The Future (read this first)

OK, here's the deal. Winamp3 will be discontinued by Nullsoft very shortly. However, that doesn't mean that Wasabi is dead. Brennan is still working on Wasabi, as well as a few of us. Wasabi is still an integral part of Winamp 5. Winamp3 has been rebranded as wasabi.player, and although it won't be officially supported, it'll be available from Nullsoft. So here's the plan:

http://www.wasabidev.org

The new centre for Wasabi development. It'll be much improved as soon as I get around to it.

Look for much new goodness arriving soon.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 5th December 2003, 03:08   #2
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Nicework, man. Very nice!

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 5th December 2003, 10:23   #3
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

unfortunantly, i don't have any experience with programming other than vbscript on ASP, but if you need some help with site maintenance or webdesign i'd be more than happy to do my part for wasabi... just send a pm

edit: also, i'm kinda baffled about what exactly this means? have brennan released the source code to some of the developers in the community to continue work on the wasabi.player? if so, that's really great news.

- Stefan

Last edited by ertmann|CPH; 5th December 2003 at 10:48.
Old 5th December 2003, 12:23   #4
WHEREamI
Major Dude

To add to useful links:
The SDK Documentation. (how out of date is this, anyway? and is there a newer copy somewhere?)
http://ftpwa.newaol.com/customize/co...mp3x/sdk/docs/

Who exactly is Wasabidev, other than you, Russ? I want to know who to thank!

Thanks Russ!

now i have to update my sig...
Old 5th December 2003, 14:44   #5
zborgerd

Russ! That's damn good news! Excellent!
Old 6th December 2003, 14:42   #6
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

There'll be a copy of the docs on wasabidev.org shortly. Doxygen is crashing my compiler for some reason...

Wasabidev is whoever wants to get involved tbh. I'm coordinating patches to the main wasabi tree and feeding them back to Nullsoft, so if you have any patches, send them to me.

SOOPRcow is doing the new web design, which should be ready soonish. And there'll probably be a page with third-party components and wasabi apps too.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 6th December 2003, 22:18   #7
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
And there'll probably be a page with third-party components and wasabi apps too.
Just to attempt to be helpful:
I'm thinking that third-party components should be sorted by what app their meant for (WP, wIRC... any others so far?), and ones that can be used for any app (like some skin enhancement or something) in their own catagory as well (General or something).

oooh! ok, we can submit patches to the wasabi core... can we submit patches to the documentation as well? (the canada ones.) 'cuz their really incomplete, though what's there is really helpful (thanx Aus!).

I'm starting to get excited about this. I'd like to help in any way i can!

~WHEREamI
Old 7th December 2003, 02:47   #8
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Yes please .

I'm planning on taking over control of the Canada docs entirely, assuming that nobody at Nullsoft wants that task. Any patches would be greatfully received.

Old 7th December 2003, 04:11   #9
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
edit: also, i'm kinda baffled about what exactly this means? have brennan released the source code to some of the developers in the community to continue work on the wasabi.player? if so, that's really great news.

- Stefan
yes and no.
the sdk contains almost everything now, so that means wasabi.player is mostly open-source, with very few important things still missing.
With (almost) every new sdk, more and more stuff get's open-sourced, so it should hopefully mean that someday all the important stuff will be open-sourced. Tho, this is ofcourse still just a dream.

However, the sdk contains loads of stuff that need to be updated so there's plenty of work already for anyone interested.

I have one big project that I'm working on, wa2skin.wac, and then I'm also updating and fixing smaller stuff all over the place, mostly cosmetic things but not only..

There's nothing stopping anyone else to do the same.

-Plague
Old 7th December 2003, 05:51   #10
WHEREamI
Major Dude

You got it Russ! I need to make a service type for my WrapRead component to make it properly extensible like i want it to be. So, i figure that as i figure it out, i'll type up some info that can be thrown into
Extending Wasabi > Making New Services > Making A Service > Making Your Own Service Type (With Dispatchable Interface)

Dunno how good it will be, but i'll submit it to you so you can polish it up.

I'll do the same thing for anything else i run into that i think is important.

~WHEREamI
Old 12th December 2003, 07:40   #11
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Russ: As promised!

http://www.calpoly.edu/~dsharp/MakeAServiceT.htm

Note that that won't always be there, so get it while you can. You can always ask me for it too.

Critique welcomed and encouraged.

~WHEREamI

Last edited by WHEREamI; 12th December 2003 at 08:15.
Old 12th December 2003, 10:43   #12
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Wow. I definitely learnt something there.

Old 16th December 2003, 02:55   #13
Gary W

If I may ask, why has a Winamp 4.* been skipped, and we've jumped to 5.* already?

5.08d
Old 16th December 2003, 03:14   #14
Rellik
Major Dude

*sigh*

2+3=5
Old 16th December 2003, 03:17   #15
Gary W

Ah okay thanks, I wonder how I ever missed that

5.08d
Old 16th December 2003, 16:04   #16
Xake

Sorry. I know I am a totally lost bastard, but I still can't find where to download a version higher than #499c.
Give me an idiotproof guide, thanks.
Old 17th December 2003, 13:10   #17
dopey

Send a message via ICQ to dopey
is the sdk available in anything other than the exe version ? if it is were can we get our hands on it.. id like to fiddle around with it if its cool, but running linux i dont particularly wanna fiddle with the exe.

thanks

also what exactly happened has brennan quit nullsoft ? im kinda confused as to whats going on. ok scratch this comment i just found out reading the other threads to do with wasabi dev
Old 17th December 2003, 13:14   #18
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

I might do a .tar.gz version at some point, however it's still not fully ported to linux.

Brennan and Aus were laid off by AOL last week. Brennan is still working on Wasabi in his own time.

Old 17th December 2003, 13:50   #19
dopey

well what can i say, i read it in another thread, a few minutes ago. Its a bastard thing they done to them. i wish Brennan and Aus the best of luck in whatever they do decide to do.

russ the tgz would be awesome, what about putting the project as a whole on sourceforge,

everything thats opensourced onto sourceforge along with brennans wish list and see if people will step in and help.. or setting up a public cvs repository with the different platform builds then when ones complete the others can be merged in.

also this new forum design thing is retarded my email addy apparantly no longer exists in the database so i cant log in and i still have the old head from the old site as in http://www.vamegh.co.uk/retarded.jpg to show you what i mean
Old 17th December 2003, 14:32   #20
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

We do have a sourceforge project, it's called wasabidev. I'd like to use it as little as possible, because SF is slow and generally annoying. There is already a public Subversion repository on www.wasabidev.org.

As for the site thing, go into the user control panel and change your style to Default from Classic. That should fix it. Happened to me too.

Old 20th December 2003, 00:42   #21
Djspark

Quote:
Originally posted by dopey
is the sdk available in anything other than the exe version ? if it is were can we get our hands on it.. id like to fiddle around with it if its cool, but running linux i dont particularly wanna fiddle with the exe.

thanks

also what exactly happened has brennan quit nullsoft ? im kinda confused as to whats going on. ok scratch this comment i just found out reading the other threads to do with wasabi dev
that's rather lame of aol... it'd be amazing if everyone would get together and re-write the parts time warner is not willing to share.... and end up producing a wasabi player that is 100% opensource that ends up out doing winamp... all a pipe dream of course... but still would be nice...

mark
Old 21st May 2004, 02:19   #22
dopey

Is there anything I can do to help, im pretty much of a noob, when it comes to programming, basic c++ skills and basic perl etc.

My final year project is nearly over. If I can do anything to help, then by all means gimme what to do and ill try my best.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Wasabi Development