Old 20th May 2004, 18:10   #1
ReasonSupreme

Native .CUE Support

It couldn't be all that hard to add native CUE sheet support to WA.

It could simply be that the .CUE files would be displayed in a similar fashion as m3u's and other playlist formats.

If this one small addition to winamp could be made, I (and many others) could purge my system of this... foobar...
ReasonSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 19:32   #2
BKDotCom

cue sheet support is my number 1 wish.. and it grows constantly (albeit slowly).

Individual tracks should appear in Media Library.. Should be able to enque up a single track in a playlist from a "cued-filed" mp3, etc.

I know it's possible, my slimp3 player does it.
BKDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 20:54   #3
JonnyMac

Until (and if) native cuesheet support is added...
Quote:
From Sticky: Winamp 5.0 Wishlist

Winamp Core

Playlist Editor

Cuesheet support (.cue files)
Try mp3cue (may not work with modern skins)
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2004, 14:52   #4
ReasonSupreme

AHA, and there is the person I was waiting for all along...

The one who was going to tell me to use an old out-of-date plugin!

Not acceptable. We shouldn't have to rely on third-parties for something SIMPLE that should've been native since somewhere 'round 2.x.

I do seriously think Foobar's interface is lame. But it's capabilities still make me want more out of WA. Get with it, so I can give it the boot!
Old 21st May 2004, 15:32   #5
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by ReasonSupreme
Not acceptable. We shouldn't have to rely on third-parties for something SIMPLE that should've been native since somewhere 'round 2.x.
The whole idea of plugins is so that you can have a player that you want.

I do not need and do not wish for winamp to have native queue sheet support.

The plugin is there for this reason. USE IT.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2004, 15:51   #6
BKDotCom

The plugin is a ad-hoc tool at best..
There's no way to search for a particular track or add a particular track to the playlist
Old 21st May 2004, 17:02   #7
JonnyMac

Quote:
Originally posted by ReasonSupreme
AHA, and there is the person I was waiting for all along...

The one who was going to tell me to use an old out-of-date plugin!

Not acceptable
What I did was to simply point out to you that cuesheet support was already in the "Official" Wishlist. Rather then just saying “[I]it’s in the wishlist” I also gave you a quote. You cold have gotten flamed for posting a wish that is already in the Wishlist. Would you prefer that I did? Please read the stickies before posting.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2004, 11:29   #8
BartAfterDark

Send a message via ICQ to BartAfterDark
Think alot of people, want cue support I do!!!
BartAfterDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2004, 16:41   #9
ReasonSupreme

Quote:
You cold have gotten flamed for posting a wish that is already in the Wishlist. Would you prefer that I did?
As long as I can still peruse these forums, I have no problems with whatever could/should happen to my username. I only very recently signed up with the sole purpose of voicing my opinion that something is missing, which a few have seconded.

Bottom line: I've been reading these forums anonymously for years now, and as long as I can continue to do so, either as is now or as a guest, I am satisfied.
Old 5th June 2004, 21:13   #10
bytemastr

Quote:
Originally posted by sanosuke
The whole idea of plugins is so that you can have a player that you want.

I do not need and do not wish for winamp to have native queue sheet support.

The plugin is there for this reason. USE IT.
Yes, I have to chime in here as well.

I've tried MP3CUE and quite frankly it's old, unsupported and just isn't up to par with WA 5.x; Furthermore, I am unable to get it to work correctly (or at all).

While it's easy for end users to ask for and demand features/functionality, versus what developers can and have time to do, I believe that there is substantial need and support for this feature so much so, that it should not be overlooked (much longer).

There are a LOT of features (and feature requests) of WA that I do not find useful, nor do they cause me trouble in attempting to do what I want/need WA to do, however, I do not begrudge people their right to ask for those features.

Lastly, even though EAC is probably the _PREMIER_ ripper for accurate, lossless (assuming use of such an output plugin) music, it still does not handle some scenarios in track-by-track mode, such as if the pregap before track #1 has anything in it other than silence (which, while uncommon) is occurring in music CDs nowadays.

I feel, that in order to experience the entire feel of the CDs (including gaps, pauses, pregap music, etc...), the only way to do that is via ripping the CD as an entire image, because Andre (author of EAC) is largely unwilling/able to account for these anomalies in track-by-track mode; Hence, the only way to accurately re-represent a CD in your home jukebox is to rip it via the image/CUE method, though alas WA does not support it.

Make it a feature of the Pro version and I'll gladly register a license for every computer I use Winamp on--it's that important to me (alot of us).

Anyhow, for more information on this issue (this necessitating the CUEsheet support), please read at least these threads on EAC:

http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?t=25707
http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?t=16964
http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?t=22443
http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?t=24921

Authors and moderators of Winamp: thank you for your time and consideration on this request.
bytemastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2004, 13:04   #11
DrO

Quote:
There are a LOT of features (and feature requests) of WA that I do not find useful, nor do they cause me trouble in attempting to do what I want/need WA to do, however, I do not begrudge people their right to ask for those features.
there is nothing wrong with asking for features, but it's when people demand things that it's not right. as was mentioned earlier in the thread about plugins not being a good idea, well seeing as everything is nearly based on plugins in Winamp, i see a conflict of ideas there

will the feature be added... i have no idea. if someone will make a decent cue plugin... i have no idea. if the feature is that badly needed, then the tools are available for this to be done by someone who has more time to be able to do this ie a 3rd party developer.

at the end of the day, the wishlist is just that, a wishlist and it doesn't mean that things will/won't go in to winamp/associated plugins. that's how it is (hopefully that all makes sense )

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 15:57   #12
bytemastr

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO

at the end of the day, the wishlist is just that, a wishlist and it doesn't mean that things will/won't go in to winamp/associated plugins. that's how it is (hopefully that all makes sense )
-daz
...Thanks for the response, however, I would feel better, if under the CUE wish, where you guys recommend MP3CUE, that you state something like what you do here:

Option to remove duplicate entries
plCleaner plugin [ack, buggy!]
(to be natively implemented soon - watch this space)

Since many of us have tried MP3CUE and find that it doesn't work at all (in my case) or well for others, it would be nice to at least acknowledge that MP3CUE, while an option, really isn't an option.

For what it's worth, I've tried contacting the developer of that plugin to no avail (mail bounced back), so it looks like whether or not it's a core feature or a plugin, the wheel will have to be recreated again.

Thanks for your time.
Old 9th June 2004, 16:44   #13
BKDotCom

... nor does mp3cue add the tracks to the media library. allow you to cue up a single track.. use native winamp controls (previous, next, etc).

If a plugin can do that, I'm all for it.

I think it requires modifying in_mp3.dll to alow for local fileurls
ie file://path_to_mp3/file.mp3#start-end
Old 12th July 2004, 03:35   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

New mp3cue plugin, updated for Winamp 5
http://www.guerillasoft.co.uk
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2004, 21:27   #15
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

I've been looking for a plugin to do this for a while

Until now I've been using .apl (Ape Link files) to play individual tracks in my cue/audio files.

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
--
Homer Simpson
lostonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2004, 21:39   #16
bytemastr

Quote:
Originally posted by lostonline
I've been looking for a plugin to do this for a while

Until now I've been using .apl (Ape Link files) to play individual tracks in my cue/audio files.
Hmph... I never could wrap my mind around .APL files/functionality for one reason or another.
Old 13th July 2004, 00:32   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

hmm, so is the new mp3cue plugin working alright for you guys then?

btw... damn, didn't know there was already an .apl filetype.
Winamp plans to use this extension for the new aac plus format...
Old 16th July 2004, 00:38   #18
BKDotCom

I haven't noticed anything different about it. (Other than requiring me to go out and find/download msvcr70.dll)

Doesn't "borrow" modern skin from playlist as advertised.
Old 16th July 2004, 02:57   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, you're right.
I just installed it, and it's using the classic skin frame, not modern.

Might be a good idea to report it here

Hmm... from the homepage...

Quote: "Mp3cue can either use its own skin, or use the skin currently in use by the Winamp Playlist. You can also modify the default skin (contained in 'winamp/plugins/mp3cue_skin')"

It definitely works with all classic skins, but heh, I'm sot sure if it even supports modern skins.
Let's see... I might try replacing pledit.bmp, pledit.txt and text.bmp with the versions from the Winamp5 Classified skin...

Yeah, works...
Old 16th July 2004, 03:16   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ok, the above method works fine if you're using the default Winamp Modern Skin.
If you're using some other modern skin then you're out of luck at the moment.

Extract the files in the zip to the "Winamp\Plugins\mp3cue_skin" folder.
Note, there's also a Backup folder in the zip which contains the original default files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mp3cue_skin.zip (22.0 KB, 1418 views)
Old 16th July 2004, 06:18   #21
UltraZelda64

Don't know if this is a false alarm (not going to bother installing it), but... see attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: gif mp3cue.gif (9.7 KB, 1777 views)
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 07:58   #22
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by UltraZelda64
Don't know if this is a false alarm (not going to bother installing it), but... see attachment.
That doesn't look good!

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
--
Homer Simpson
lostonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2004, 08:58   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Is that from Pest Patrol?
Looks like a false positive to me.
Someone else reported it on irc the other day, with the tv plugin installer.
If I were you I'd contact the Pest Patrol people and tell them that their software is wrongly detecting the new nsis installer as a BTV Industries Dialer.

Trust me, there is no malware/trojan/dialer/spyware included with the mp3cue plugin installer.

Latest SpybotSD, Adaware, Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard are all configured to detect BTV crap, but none of them detected anything here....
Old 17th July 2004, 07:44   #24
UltraZelda64

Okay, just warning. Yes, it's from Pest Patrol. I don't normally use it, I just recently downloaded a trial version, and who knows - the "real" latest version of their software (assuming like many companies they give out-of-date trial versions) may not cause this positive. Not sure how old this version is (actually, I uninstalled it a while ago), but it wasn't downloaded very long ago. I didn't bother installing the cue program either (really don't have much use for it, so decided not to). I just thought maybe I should bring this to everyone's attention since the plugin is being recommended here, just in case it is true. This is the only program that caused a pop-up like this since it's been installed.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2004, 02:00   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, but it's not true.
So report it to the Pest Patrol people.
Old 12th July 2005, 10:54   #26
3ngel

Hi, many compliments to you winamp developers for the wonderful work you've done until now.
But i sincerely don't understand why you are so blind about implementing native .cue support. Well i'll explain you some basic and interesting considerations..
1) Nowadays the standard to rip and play CD are with EAC and in the way of "CDImage.x + CDImage.cue". Pratically all ripped CD are in this format.
2) More than the half of users play (and want to play) files in this format
3) Up until now there is no perfectly working .cue plugin for winamp, and even the latest CuePlayer plugin can't seek and calculate lenght and tracks duration properly if files are played through DirectShow plugin.
4) Many, many users blame you for this, and are forced to swap to foobar2000 ONLY for the native .cue support.
5) I've read on MANY forums that people would gladly swap to winamp from foobar if there was native .cue support.

So a question :
It's your final goal to acquire as many users possible?
So why not to develop finally a SO SIMPLE playlist evolution, that support .cue in the exact way as .m3u?
Even from a "market point of view" i don't understand, why you don't understand the importance to implement this feature... mah...
Anyway much compliments again and i hope you'll understand my considerations.
Regards

Last edited by 3ngel; 12th July 2005 at 11:30.
3ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2005, 18:42   #27
marenka

I too have been waiting for this feature. The implimentation I would like to see would allow a cue file to be added to the playlist so that all the tracks would then appear in the playlist and there would be an "album" entry in the playlist so that the whole disc image would play straight through. That would allow for easy gapless playback of an album with all the tracks in correct order - something that is not always so easy with the current WA version.
marenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 10:30   #28
dorways

Has anyone of you ever tried CUEPlayer plugin?
I personaly find it much better than mp3cue...
dorways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 14:39   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes. But CuePlayer plugin didn't exist when this thread began 15 months ago.
I did however add a link to it in the Wishlist sticky a fair few months ago.
Old 3rd September 2005, 18:07   #30
dorways

Ooops ... Alrighty then!
dorways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 19:10   #31
bytemastr

Quote:
Originally posted by bytemastr
...Thanks for the response, however, I would feel better,
...Rest of stuff deleted...
Thanks for your time.
I've tried my best to find an acceptable solution to the CUE problem and keep Winamp in the loop, however, the plug-ins out there and core Winamp support just isn't there to do it seamlessly the way I (and a lot of other people) think it should be done.

Given this, and the issue that the only way one can get an exact replica of a CD (including non-silence indecies such as (pre-)track gaps, etc. is to use EAC (and I use that name loosely because they only give you one option to do so) is in CDimage->CUE creation mode, and end up with a large file (be it a .wav or compressed).

With this in mind, it is completely unacceptable that a player cannot, will not, and/or refuses to support such a simple concept as a CUE sheet (correctly, if you take into account the present plug-ins out there).

I had resisted going to another player due to my long time association with Winamp and given the fact that FB2k is very arcane out of the box, however, I could wait no longer and took the plunge.

Now that the door is opened, I am finding a number of advantages (for my personal needs, anyhow) of FB2k with its 'less glitz' and more configurability--more configurability than I could ever dream possible with Winamp--perhaps not important for most, but important for people with large libraries and exacting/discerning needs.

I'm sorry to go and I'm sure I won't be missed, but I hope this open letter serves someone some good, besides myself, however, at least I can consider the CUE issue closed.
Old 24th February 2006, 09:26   #32
3ngel

Unfortunately, winamp developers dont's seem to understand such a basic question...
In my opinion winamp sound much better than foobar, but i now really start to miss such essential proper cue support (the plugin in the end is nothing that s*it), and in the truth i'm kinda deluded of this attitude of the developers, so even with the best intentions, i'm forced to start thinking to switch to foobar to obtain such a basic essential feauture.
I hope developers will understand now...
Old 5th April 2006, 21:47   #33
Sinergie

I also hope they implement native .cue support in winamp soon it shouldn't be that hard to program it would be a really nice addition and i think many people would be very happy with it
Sinergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2006, 23:18   #34
lazerfisk

Send a message via ICQ to lazerfisk Send a message via AIM to lazerfisk Send a message via Yahoo to lazerfisk
I still would like to see my old idea of "grouping" tracks implemented with cue support.

code:

Track 1 10:00
[+] MyCueSheet 20:00
Track 2 10:00

code:

Track 1 10:00
[-] MyCueSheet 20:00
Track 3 05:00
Track 4 15:00
Track 2 10:00

I hope this makes sense Double-click the cuesheet entry (or playlist/category) to play whatever is in there... Or expand it and pick a track.

Cheers,
Christopher
lazerfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 09:57   #35
seansfoot

I can't believe they STILL haven't implemented this.. I remember wishing Winamp could do this natively yeaars ago, and checking here, only to find that their "solution" is to use a buggy, crappy pluggin.. Bzzzt

Geez, how hard would this be to add, and people without cuesheets would be none the wiser.

It's CLEARLY a highly sought-after feature, I mean look at the number of page views, replies, and the date of the thread.

Winamp developers ignoring this feature request -->

Dev's realising that good cuesheet support is a much needed feature and would make Winamp stand out from the crowd -->
seansfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 11:16   #36
DrO

the cueplayer plugin is less buggy now than it was at earlier posts. and as for it still not being done, stuff in the wishlist is just that, it's NEVER GUARANTEED to ever be implemented and the fact that there is even a 3rd party implementation (is at least 2 that i'm aware of is better than nothing). there is also the minor fact of little resources to devote to such a feature so if it's that much of an issue, the tools are out there for you to make your own implementation (without bugs i'd hope). so all i shall say further on this point is one man can only code so much and he's already coding his arse off on other aspects to keep people as happy as can be

-daz
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:03   #37
3ngel

In this matter, they seems to be kinda like masochistic because more and more users have leaved winamp in favour of foobar ONLY BECAUSE OF .cue native support.

But at last i have to say that they haven't been so masochistic in order to not understand the importance to develop the 24 bit support
Old 26th March 2007, 16:18   #38
thepyr0x
Major Dude

Wow, CUEplayer doesn't do anything whatsoever for me....loads up the playlist with a bunch of track entries and won't play a single one. Meh, it's not the way I'd want cue sheets displayed anyways.

I'd rather have a seperate window (such as in MP3Cue, which works just fine - though it looks ugly) or have an expandable setup like what was suggested by laserfisk

I'll join in the chiming wondering why a decent solution to this has not been developed yet; but to blame this on the winamp developers and not the hoards of plugin developers wouldn't be at all right. Not like we can really harp on the totally unpaid plugin developers, but it's as much their fault as it is the winamp devs

DrO, why don't you make one for us? ;-)

thepyr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 17:08   #39
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by thepyr0x
DrO, why don't you make one for us? ;-)
because i've got far too much on my plate already and have no interest in cue files

-daz
Old 27th March 2007, 10:31   #40
draganmi

A rather egocentric explanation indeed...

So, I guess, we'll have to lick somebody's shoes to get an ordinary and very reasonable feature?
draganmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist