Old 28th September 2004, 03:50   #1
tazman1937

Does anyone still have it?

I am on the lookout for the windows install binary executable of WINAMP 2.91. Does anyone still have it, or know where I can find it? It would also be cool if I could find all the old versions on one spot.
tazman1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2004, 04:01   #2
crackity

Send a message via ICQ to crackity Send a message via AIM to crackity
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp

a simple google or search here would have worked too.....
crackity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2004, 05:43   #3
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
Why would you want it?

Anyways http://www.winampheaven.net/ has a large list of pretty much every known version of Winamp up for download (a bit lacking in the Winamp3 section, but whatever).

EDIT: Shit, I put a space in Winamp3. Forgive me llama god, for I have sinned.
squall14716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2004, 08:32   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by squall14716
EDIT: Shit, I put a space in Winamp3. Forgive me llama god, for I have sinned.
you are forgiven but only this one time

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2004, 23:28   #5
toejam07

WINAMP 5.05 IS WINAMP 2.91 WITH EXTRA GOODIES AND LOADS OF BUG AND SECURITY FIXES!!!

Was that a bit over-the-top?

How many times has that or something very similar been said since Winamp 5 was introduced? Just download Winamp 5.05 Full and uncheck anything you don't want (such as Modern Skin Support and CD ripping and burning if you want something much like 2.91) in the installer instead of blindly clicking "Next" as I'm sure you do 99% of the time. And if you're still concerned about supposed "performance problems" check out Like the Wind for tips and tricks for maxing out Winamp's speed potential.

Also, you could try reading the stickies before posting, but that would be too much to ask, I guess.

Sorry for the rant, everyone.
Old 29th September 2004, 02:56   #6
bgesley
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bgesley
He never said that Winamp 5.05 wasn't winamp 2.91, he was just looking for an older version for whatever reason....

=/

bgesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2004, 03:10   #7
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

5.05 Doesn't play as well as 2.81 on my laptop even when slimmed down. Its a very old and slow lap top.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2004, 13:31   #8
icerunner

Quote:
Originally posted by toejam07
WINAMP 5.05 IS WINAMP 2.91 WITH EXTRA GOODIES AND LOADS OF BUG AND SECURITY FIXES!!!

Was that a bit over-the-top?

How many times has that or something very similar been said since Winamp 5 was introduced? Just download Winamp 5.05 Full and uncheck anything you don't want (such as Modern Skin Support and CD ripping and burning if you want something much like 2.91) in the installer instead of blindly clicking "Next" as I'm sure you do 99% of the time. And if you're still concerned about supposed "performance problems" check out Like the Wind for tips and tricks for maxing out Winamp's speed potential.

Also, you could try reading the stickies before posting, but that would be too much to ask, I guess.

Sorry for the rant, everyone.

Eehrms:

I just switched back from Winamp5 to 2.91

This was because of 'speed'-problems. It's not like Winamp 5 was slow, but when (for example) I hold my mouse still at the tray-icon, I want to know wich song I'm playing AT INSTANCE. Not after a quarter of a second, even though that still is fast.

Considering the 'tweaking' of Winamp5... I quote from "Like the Wind":

"Though Winamp Lite is able to play your MP3 files and is compatible with Winamp 2 plug-ins and Classic skins, it lacks the following Winamp 5 features: Modern skin support, video playback, the redesigned Media Library, integrated visualizers, ripping/burning support, and the integrated radio/TV tuner."

I dó want to have video playback, integrated visualizers and integrated radio/tv-tuners. Though with only thóse features installed, even the last version of Winamp5 is slower (just a little bit, but still) then the old 2.91.

Everything I needed was just right there in 2.91, so no need to upgrade. Untill that annoying "Pleeeease, update to Winamp5!! started coming up

Winamp5 sure is a step up, but don't come and tell that it's exáctly as resource-taking as 2.91. The same codebase, yeah... WinXP is on the same code-base as NT... Are théy having the same systemreq's?
icerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2004, 13:38   #9
DrO

icerunner: the cores are the same other than a few bug fixes and some extra api calls for plugin developers. most of the work done for 5.x was in the plugins bundled with it since winamp.exe is really what holds them all together. i can see your comparison with NT against XP (though it's not that great since XP is based on 2k which was a major re-write if i remember right).

i've been running winamp since 2.5 on this old P2 machine and i can't see a difference between 2.9x and 5.x as long as i don't use a modern skin. but each to their own (/e doesn't care now since he's got a new Athlon64 system that now works)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2004, 13:54   #10
icerunner

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
icerunner: the cores are the same other than a few bug fixes and some extra api calls for plugin developers. most of the work done for 5.x was in the plugins bundled with it since winamp.exe is really what holds them all together. i can see your comparison with NT against XP (though it's not that great since XP is based on 2k which was a major re-write if i remember right).

i've been running winamp since 2.5 on this old P2 machine and i can't see a difference between 2.9x and 5.x as long as i don't use a modern skin. but each to their own (/e doesn't care now since he's got a new Athlon64 system that now works)

-daz

I always forget on wich codebase XP was written
(When I made the comparison though, I díd realize it actually was a false one Well, at times of war... )

But really, as long as 2.91 did work perfectly for me, and Winamp5 dóesn't, even after doing things myself about it (wich in my opinion shouldn't be necessary to let a great thing actually be a great thing), I stick with the old.

Running on a 2.8G P4, 512MB, and continually tweaking it to perform at max. Shouldn't be a problem either, now would it!
icerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2004, 15:38   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Weird. When using any classic skin, Winamp 5.05 uses less memory and cpu than 2.9x on my machine... and even when using a modern skin, the systray tooltip appears instantly (Athlon XP2400+, 512 DDR, blah blah).
I could never go back to buggy 2.91 . . . never!
But hey, to each his/her own, eh!?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2004, 13:30   #12
UltraZelda64

You have a 2.8 P4 and 512 megs of RAM, and notice a difference in speed? I have a 1.7 P4 and 256 megs of RAM and can't tell the difference...
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2004, 21:28   #13
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
I can't notice any difference here either.

Just download 5.05 full and uncheck the options you don't need, always use classic skins, and you won't be able to notice any difference from my experience.
squall14716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion