Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 19th October 2005, 03:31   #1
wackedoutrado

Send a message via AIM to wackedoutrado
Media libary only grabs 1,000 stations Why??

I am a station owner and I cant get winamp to grab my station ,it has always grabed what I had it set to (10,000) stations but as of today I only get 1,000. anyone have an awnser am I missing something? www.wackedoutradio.com Dj-Taxi
Old 19th October 2005, 05:14   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Probably means they set the limit on the server to 1000. If you want to see all of the streams they are listed at www.shoutcast.com

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
Old 19th October 2005, 08:23   #3
wackedoutrado

that wouldn't be fair to all the small new stations like us who depend on people seeing us in the winamp list,I know that you can find all the stations on shoutcast but not to many people go there and look. Most just pick from the list in the media libary, I am speaking from my own experence I know thats what I did. if that is the case I hope they take the linit off asap
Old 19th October 2005, 09:05   #4
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

99% of the people don't increase the size of the list fetched, the the few that do probably don't go above 1000. It is the job of the stream's owner to promote and advertise their stream. And the full listing is still available on www.shoutcast.com

Count with us!
Old 19th October 2005, 09:30   #5
wackedoutrado

Well I guess what I am asking is it to much to ask ?can it go back the way it has been? I dont agree with you on people changing the grab size but I think that the old way is better and from looking at my log I get quiet a few listeners from winamp not from shoutcast.And I do promote in a tun of ways!the site that is up now has been up 49 days , go look @ the hits and you will see I changed servers on tuesday so not many hits for tuesday but go look anyway ,I just like it the same old way it was thats all www.wackedoutradio.com
Old 19th October 2005, 11:32   #6
bdot

OK, so it isn't just me having this problem.
Really crappy cause now I can't find all the stations I listened to.
I went to the Shoutcast site but found that to be a piece of junk cause when I went to search for things in a certain genre, it instead outputted every station. So now if you aren't one of the lucky 1000, you are dead in the water.
Old 19th October 2005, 11:41   #7
wackedoutrado

now thank god someone see's the problem! why fix something that was not broke? ok now its broke so fix it!!
Old 19th October 2005, 15:07   #8
Trey420

I am having the same problem as well, just started today.
Old 19th October 2005, 15:12   #9
DrO

if aol want to retrict content/number of fetches then it's their right to do so seeing as it's their system. from a few other things they seem to be messing around with the way that streams are being handled (like the browser popup for sc streams now :/ ) which is a pain but that's just how it goes unfortunately

-daz
Old 19th October 2005, 15:23   #10
Trey420

So this is permanent?
Old 19th October 2005, 15:30   #11
DrO

i've no idea, i have as much of an idea as you do

-daz
Old 19th October 2005, 16:14   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

They had to reduce the heavy load on the server until they can work out a solution.
No, this won't be permanent, but it'll be staying like this for now. Sorry.
Old 19th October 2005, 16:22   #13
Trey420

Ahh, as long as it will go back eventually i can just use the web page for now, thanks
Old 19th October 2005, 16:38   #14
ujay
Forum King

Re-thinking the automatic hourly refresh may go a long way towards reducing load, there's always a manual refresh available if needed.

The impact of this on end users, rather than broadcasters, is to severely restrict the service available on the smaller genres.
Don't see this as a problem for pop oriented use, where the majority of the top listener numbers fall, but smaller genres now turn up hardly any results.
Kind of negates the whole point of the Shoutcast listings.

UJ
Old 19th October 2005, 20:56   #15
wackedoutrado

Yea that is my point not only does it stop the smaller genres from showing up but I thought the idea was to provide a big ol mix and virity like my puny ol station (Vocal Trance) www.wackedoutradio.com now who does that leave ? not to call names but ummm DI ,,,,you get the point this stinks!!and btw my listeners droped in 1/2 or more today! thats beat Dj-Taxi oh yea give me the phone number I will call aol roflmao!
Old 21st October 2005, 17:28   #16
impressive_18s

Send a message via Yahoo to impressive_18s
hey newbie here.i hav the same prob... getting only 1000 streams...
Old 21st October 2005, 18:20   #17
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

And..... the answer stays the same. Read the entire thread.

Count with us!
Old 21st October 2005, 21:34   #18
Administratorte

1000 stream limit

This change is a big disappointment. I always modified the number of streams to see them all (and changed the refresh time to never and refreshed once a day). It was very interesting to browse the list looking for the new, the different and the interesting. Cutting off 8/9s of the stations and telling people to go to shoutcast seems a bit extreme. Ever tried to browse the Shoutcast site? It's not nearly as good as browsing in the media library.

I guess if you have less than 20 listeners, you are SOL. Or perhaps AOL.
Old 22nd October 2005, 16:55   #19
wackedoutrado

ok I think there is a solution to this problem and aol is the only one that can fix it ,,maybe if 1 of the admins would do us a little favor and ask them to undo this they might just tell them you are getting complaints! I can get all my listeners and friends that dont even like my music but still use winamp to post if that will do any good, let us know admins?? thanks
Dj-Taxi www.wackedoutradio.com
Old 22nd October 2005, 18:45   #20
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Whining doesn't change the server load. Just point people to www.shoutcast.com as the full list is on there.

Count with us!
Old 22nd October 2005, 19:17   #21
wackedoutrado

ok dude expect a tun of post I dont mean to be rude but I dont wine! I asked for an admin to simpaly see if something could be done and I even offered to donate a server, how is that wineing?? like I said in the string I posted yesterday this is copy and pasted for that string:
I do understand that the limit on the grab is temporary but in the mean time I will donate a server just to get it taken off! Egg said it was because of the strain on the server well here is the fix! Also I will provide servers for .80cent per listener to who ever needs it! Now will that bring back the list? I don’t try and make any money from this I started my station to give back to the community that has served me so well over the years. I pay for everything out of my pocket and thought that was the whole idea of winamp and shoutcast was to provide as many stations as they could for free, am I wrong? Dj-Taxi
I am not trying to be a trouble maker nor di I wine! I run over 60 sites and this station I run if just for fun, nothing elese! to help give a wide choice of music like it always has been! and if you have looked www.shoutcast.com is one of the hardest sites to find anything on ,look up at the dudes post, thats all I gota say
Old 23rd October 2005, 02:17   #22
YepMeAgain

Wouldn't it be a good idea (both for users & stream providers) to start using multiple servers to spread the station lists instead of just one centralised one (AOL?)?

Couldn't both the winamp client & shoutcast server be made to use somekind of bittorrent system for requesting station listings & stream information?

Just thinking out loud...
Old 23rd October 2005, 21:49   #23
Makin' Sense?

Possible Remedy

I don't know that this would help with the server load, but it might be nice if users could select the genre(s) that they wish to be refreshed. 98% of the genres listed are ones that I have no intrest in. If I were able to only pull the ones I wanted, I believe that it would lessen the load on the servers and as a bonus would add another level of customizability to WinAmp.
Old 24th October 2005, 19:10   #24
dotme

Re: Possible Remedy

Quote:
Originally posted by Makin' Sense?
...it might be nice if users could select the genre(s) that they wish to be refreshed. 98% of the genres listed are ones that I have no intrest in...
That's an excellent suggestion.
Old 25th October 2005, 19:21   #25
RMSe17

any way to make a decentralized server listing tracker, something like... a server listing at every server, so every server notifies you of a bunch of other servers, and those tell you about more servers, etc.. something like how Overnet and Kazaa work... except instead of file distribution nodes they would be shoutcast servers?>
that would fix the system without needing to go through the people responsible for directory servers
maybe even make use of both, sorta like edonkey2000 uses 2 systems, server, and peer-peer to get total listing
Old 26th October 2005, 06:32   #26
ondarockxx

Send a message via AIM to ondarockxx
Personally. I think, and this is MHO. Aol is ready to charge for shoutcast placement. hence the limit right now, to keep the small station small. No more free exposure.
Old 26th October 2005, 08:52   #27
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

O_o

it almost certainly has to do with performance. there are a lot of people running winamp out there, and everyone knows about increasing the limit.

Thats a whole lot of data being sucked out of the YP all the time. its no surprise there is an upper limit.

Old 26th October 2005, 18:00   #28
JimBobJames

1000 stream limit

Cutting down the number of streams is far more limiting if like me you tend to listen to stations from one genre. The limit doesn't just apply to the genre selected but to all genres. I now have 29 streams on my favourtie genre but there are 120+ on shoutcast - not a great move at all . Wouldn't really mind if the limit applied to just the selected genre.
Old 26th October 2005, 18:01   #29
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

The stream listing just grabs the tops ones, it doesn't care about genre. There would need to be seriosu backend changes for that to occure.

But serisouly, is it that hard to go to www.shoutcast.com ?

Count with us!
Old 27th October 2005, 06:59   #30
wackedoutrado

I think that 1. aol can simpaly take the limit off they can afford it if we small broadcasters can afford to pay for servers and so on the very least they can do is list each station,now in having said that I do see that there are over 9800 stations, that is a lot so what I sugest is that if a station has 2 or more listeners for a set period of time 30 min 1 hr ,ect. then list them, that would show some consideration for the money, hard work and time spent tring to give back and provide a station I keep around 5 listeners even not being listed now when I was listed I got like a peak of 30 and keep around 11 or 12 but I am a new station just 2 months well 1.8 months anyway give the little guy a fighting chance don't kick him down I am getting tired of posting here and I have to ask my self will it do any good or should I send out 8,000 emails with aol's corp number can anyone here change this?? or is this a waste of time? Dj-Taxi www.wackedoutradio.com (Vocal Trance Breaks D&B )
Old 27th October 2005, 11:12   #31
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ujay
Re-thinking the automatic hourly refresh may go a long way towards reducing load, there's always a manual refresh available if needed.

The impact of this on end users, rather than broadcasters, is to severely restrict the service available on the smaller genres.
Don't see this as a problem for pop oriented use, where the majority of the top listener numbers fall, but smaller genres now turn up hardly any results.
Kind of negates the whole point of the Shoutcast listings.

UJ
I totally agree

Quote:
Originally posted by drewbar
No it's not but to me, it defeats the very purpose of having a shoutcast stream directory available from the ML. I like this feature because 1) I don't have to go to shoutcast.com 2) It's much easier to locate what interests you in a single window rather than on a website where you have to click "next page" all the time 3) it makes bookmarking much easier.

I understand the necessity to reduce server load but it definitely penalises smaller broadcasters and less known/popular genres.
Old 27th October 2005, 15:12   #32
wackedoutrado

I just want to know is there anyone here that can do something about this problem? admin's? Who?
www.wackedoutradio.com
Old 27th October 2005, 18:21   #33
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

if tptb decided its 1k streams max, its 1k streams max. not really much else to be said.

maybe in the future it'll be more asyncronous in nature. but who knows.

Old 27th October 2005, 22:03   #34
furie

Send a message via ICQ to furie Send a message via AIM to furie Send a message via Yahoo to furie
Quote:
The stream listing just grabs the tops ones, it doesn't care about genre. There would need to be seriosu backend changes for that to occure.

Come on! You know very well that most of the listeners peruse through the listing and are not going to the shoutcast listing anyway. In MHO AOL is trying to push their own listing and of course unilaterally decided to "chop" our listing in favor of theirs... PERIOD
Old 27th October 2005, 22:08   #35
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

It's a server load issues and it is temporary. Nobody is out to get you really, it's safe. Put down the bong. Besides, it's your stream you should be the one in charge of promoting it, not AOL/Nullsoft.

Count with us!
Old 27th October 2005, 22:23   #36
wackedoutrado

I would like to know how tempory is it? How long is it going to last? I will stop posting if I can get an streight answer! I dont think this is getting anywhere! like a bear riding a tricicle going no where fast, can I get an answer from an admin please on both questions ^^ the first 1 was can you do anything about it or is this pointless? Thanks Dj-Taxi www.wackedoutradio.com
Old 27th October 2005, 23:08   #37
furie

Send a message via ICQ to furie Send a message via AIM to furie Send a message via Yahoo to furie
Quote:
It's a server load issues and it is temporary. Nobody is out to get you really, it's safe. Put down the bong. Besides, it's your stream you should be the one in charge of promoting it, not AOL/Nullsoft.
We don't all have the means that AOL have for publicity and these days it is costly to publicize. We rely on this listing because it is helpful in promoting our station, of course, BUT ALSO and MOSTLY because it is an easy way to find out some stations that please our taste. As far as the server load is concerned, if I'm not mistaken, I've seen someone offer a server to help out but this seems to be of no concern to you or the authorities, which tends to make believe that the reason of a server load is not the real one.
For those who would be interested, our station is at www.radiocmoi.com in french "La Radio Rétro 'full' Variée"

Last edited by furie; 28th October 2005 at 00:44.
Old 27th October 2005, 23:17   #38
DrO

we are saying what we were informed of by one of the devs (be you believe that or not) and that is all we [mods/people informed] can say about the situation since that is all that is known. things are as they are and until things are resolved then you'll have to deal with the current workarounds. sucks, yes but that's how it is for the time being and i doubt whining on about it all of the time is going to get anything else done faster (since corporate entities are notoriously slow in such situations).

-daz
Old 27th October 2005, 23:19   #39
wackedoutrado

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well Put!! and yes I did offer and I can but they have not!
ok still I think this fourm is bunk as far as I am concerned its pointless! nothing is going to change by posting here that I beleve to be a fact! so as I post my last I just want to say, I am glad the whole world is not like aol( kick the little guy while he is down)my station will be up and running and if anyone needs stream hosting let me know 0.80 per user 128k lower prices lower the bit rate!! www.wackedoutradio.com email me !! and I am out!
Old 28th October 2005, 00:53   #40
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Just because the admin/devs don't post, it doesn't mean that they don't read ;-)
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion