Old 23rd February 2006, 04:07   #1
ZenTaoist

Recent Chronic Buffering

I have been experienceing regular buffering on shoutcast TV streams over the last couple of weeks . Winamp hangs @ [Buffer 0%] and I have to restart the feed by pushing play every 30 sec. to 5 min. . This is new, I have been watching streams uninterupted for several months and have not experienced anywhere close to this amount of buffering before. I have experienced this on two seperate companies (streamwire & ESS). If it were just one, I'd suspect the provider. Since it occurs with both it must be something new with the winamp network/system. I have tried both the Silence_Detector_v1_0 & dsp_restless plugins (both found here http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....89#post1811489 ) but still experience the buffering. Is there anybody one out there that knows how to fix this or that can help?
ZenTaoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 04:29   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Make sure nothing happened to your connection recently:
http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

And let's give Winamp 5.2 a spin.

Disabled any firewalls or other security software you may be running.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 04:57   #3
ZenTaoist

that is a way-cool speed test site the best and easiest I've seen yet. By it, I am running @ almost 2400K down and 400k up without a stream running and the reading is very acurate (with a stream running it subtracts just the with of the stream).
I tried the 5.2 but am still getting the buffering as before. but will work wiht it a bit more to see what happens, thanks
ZenTaoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2006, 18:41   #4
wh0racle

I'm having a similar problem. My dedicated server is streaming video on its own at 450kbps, the "br" setting in headers.txt is set at 500. Am I not doing something right? After running a speedtest from the link above my connxn is 4100 down and 500 up. Please help

Edit: the video was encoded using VP3. Where can I get what I need to encode video using VP6? the link provided in the "getting started" section is broken.

Last edited by wh0racle; 25th February 2006 at 19:01.
wh0racle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2006, 21:17   #5
sankt

Quote:
Where can I get what I need to encode video using VP6? the link provided in the "getting started" section is broken.
ON2 no longer supports the VP6.2 / NSV plugin.

You can download the earlier version "personal use" VP6.1 video codec here : nsv.no-ip.com/downloads

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - www.ScenicTelevision.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 01:40   #6
SteveGilder

I've been having a very similar issue, but I've noticed my issue deals more with bandwidth usage then anything.
After about 2-5 minutes the current streaming shoutcast track just freezes saying buffering 0%. I've tried the restless filter, and it works to restart if the first track on the list, but if I leave it running say over night after 3-5 hrs winamp just dies.
The band width issue I've noticed is that if I have azureus running it, of coarse, tends to max out my upload bandwidth at 350-450 Kbs. I've tried multiple different PCs on my same home network. Firewall(ZA) & no Firewall. Router & no Router. Azureus running on a different machine then the one I'm listening to Winamp(v5.2) on and they all do the same thing. The more fully utilized my internet connection is the quicker Winamp gets the buffer problem. Even with nothing else using the internet connection the streaming Audio still won't make it 8 hrs some times.
I have Charter 3000/384 but consistantly clocks in at 4500/450.
It seems to me that there is some sort of problem where if the packet that initiates the buffer is lost there is no retry. The restless filter is a great work around if it only had more options and less buggy. I never could get the silence detector to work.

Thanks for any additional help you all can provide.
SteveGilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 13:44   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveGilder
Audio still won't make it 8 hrs some times.
Maybe the server is kicking you. There is a time function that will give you the boot after "n" seconds if set by the station.

As far as general connectivity problems. VOIP, torrent and that stuff is something you have to deal with. Azureus has a way to adjust your uplink bandwidth. You probably do want to adjust that too. If your uplink is choked, bittorrent won't give you the full downlink, because you can't connect the peers because you're choked.

Sometimes your router and modem will need some time without electricity too. Putting your routers and cable/dsl modems in places with lots of air flow helps too. They invariably get hot and malfunction if you hide them someplace tight.

I figured out that you didn't want to stack one of these little toasters on top of the other. That caused me some problems for a while.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 22:38   #8
SteveGilder

The site is www.DI.FM they don't have any kick rules like that i'm sure. Also I have the Auto Speed plug for Azureus, so it automatically adjusts the max up speed based on a ping time setting. I have it set to hit Google and 50MS. so there's always a little spare bandwidth to do other stuff.

I do think you may have hit it on the head with the modem/router in the a tight space. They are in an un airconditioned closet. They aren't stacked, but i've suspected them being the probelm since soon after I started using them. More like the cable modem. I have to reboot it every day or so because it looses its sync. I think I may just go and try and find a newer cable modem. Any suggestions?
Old 19th March 2006, 17:12   #9
Shidohari

I'm using winamp 5.12 because i can't get winamp 5.21 to play any video files. But i've also had the rebuffering problem lately. I run on dsl through zoomtown with a weston external modem. Shoutcast may be having problems because even the nsv station i have bookmarked and try to listen to alot rebuffers alot when i connect and that's never happened before.

Anyhow i guess we'll just have to wait til they can tweak things.

Shidohari
Shidohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 16:30   #10
SteveGilder

It's definatly some thing to do with my cable modem. I put a fan in there to constantly blow accross my mode/Router and now i'm not getting near the disconnects I was before and my up speed is a much more higher constant rate.
Old 2nd April 2006, 17:58   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, I never met any of that stuff that didn't get hot. Lots of free space or a fan.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video