Old 5th June 2006, 08:12   #1
Axellink

Winamp closes when i plug in my ipod

Yup, I'm using Winamp 5.22 and using the latest official plugin. As soon as I connect it, I just get an error message, causing the program to close. I dont know weather to re-install winamp or not as I have deleted some media library settings and such.
Axellink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 09:22   #2
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

What do you mean by "the latest official plugin"? The one that comes bundled with Winamp? Then this is the wrong forum, it is all about the alternative: ml_ipod
Try using this, see my signature...

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 21:41   #3
Axellink

Nope, I have removed the official plugin support and installed the mlipod plugin mate.
Old 6th June 2006, 02:13   #4
ferris209

Abu, I'm getting the same problems it's saying "Winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close. yada yada yada. When I click for more information it is saying "AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.2.2.600 ModName: nscrt.dll ModVer: 7.10.0.0 offset: 000ae80" It will not do this unless my Ipod is docked, otherwise I get the above warning. I can start Winamp fine and then a few minutes later, dock my Ipod and BOOM, the above happens. I've tried the last stable release 1.32, I'm even on 1.33 v15 and it still keeps doing it. I even had these problems last week. I had to do a complete fresh install of windows and it stills does it.
ferris209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 02:50   #5
arnold_ziffel

Same story.

Abu, let me say thank you, thank you. At 6 o'clock this morning, I realized you were a genius. Podcast support (using your suggested Juice configuration) has made me very happy.

Then the trouble started. Things were fine w/ 5.21 & 1.33a6. This morning, after reading comments, I upgraded to 5.22 & 1.33a10. That's when the error started. Plug in the ipod, and winamp crashes as soon as the ipod is recognized. I uninstalled and clean installed using 5.22 & 1.33a10. The problem persisted. Went back to 5.21 & 1.33a8 (the earliest build that I still had on my hard drive) - problem continued. Uninstalled 1.33a8 and tried 1.33a15 - winamp still crashes. I can post the error log when I get home in a few hours if you'd like.

Thank you again for all your efforts. The plug-in and its support has been excellent - the podcast support just made my day!

Arnold (using a 2nd gen 4gb silver mini)
arnold_ziffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 08:39   #6
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Hi Axellink, ferris209 and Arnold,
I tried everything, I can't reproduce that. It's working fine here, and obviously for some other people, too. Too bad.

Could you try a clean install of Winamp 5.21 (into a new or empty directory)? I had some issues when switching from 5.21 to 5.22, but that was all solved now (on my machine, at least).

One thing I can imagine: You iTunesDB might have something in it that ml_ipod does not understand, and crashes.

It would help a lot if you could zip the following files and send them to me:
X:\ipod_control\itunes\iTunesDB
X:\ipod_control\itunes\ml_ipod.ini
X:\ipod_control\itunes\mlipodSmartPlaylists
X:\ipod_control\itunes\winPrefs
X:\ipod_control\itunes\OTGPlaylistInfo* (if present)
X:\ipod_control\itunes\Play Counts (if present)
(X: being the drive letter of your iPod)

Perhaps I can find some problem in these files...???

Send them to: achim "dot" bursian "at" web "dot" de

I'm on vacation for the next couple of days, so don't expect a quick response, sorry.

BTW: I put all the 1.33alpha releases back on the website, for reference. And thanks a lot for your encouragement!

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?

Last edited by abu; 6th June 2006 at 08:55.
Old 6th June 2006, 09:47   #7
arnold_ziffel

Abu,

No, Thank you, sir. I'm off from work for the next couple of days. I'll zip up those files and be sending them to you. I believe you may be correct about the error being related to reading the database. I got a weird error (can't recall the exact text) one time when I was unplugging the ipod as winamp was starting up. The error said something about unable to read database but that one time Winamp did not crash. Of course, it crashed 20 seconds when I retried to plug it back in. I'll send you the files later today.

I'll probably re-format my mini and see if that takes care of the problem on this end.

Thank you again for all your hard work, Arnold_Ziffel
arnold_ziffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 11:40   #8
ferris209

Abu,
zipped file sent you at achim "dot" bursian "at" web "dot" de
Old 6th June 2006, 13:06   #9
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Thanks for the files, ferris209.

I checked it and it looks just fine. Can be loaded without any problem on my machine. Now I know that you have 11869 tracks on your iPod, and apparently not a single playlist (you don't use playlists, right?)

Everything works smoothly, so that did not help for the problem you have. Too bad. I'm stuck now, what could be the reason?

Still I guess it could be some kind of incompatibility between som other plugin and ml_ipod. Not very likely, but possible. You did a clean install already, but try it again, install Winamp into a new directory, only the basic stuff (no visualisation, no extras, only the bare Winamp and the MediaLibrary, no portables support). Then the newest ml_ipod .

If that still does not help, my last guess is some incompatible system DLL. These are the system DLLs that are used, the most likely to have a conflict are the MSVC*.dll:

c:\winnt\system32\MSVCP60.DLL Fileversion 6.2.3104.0
c:\winnt\system32\MSVCRT.DLL Fileversion 7.0.2600.2180

The other ones are standard for Windows:
c:\winnt\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\GDI32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\NTDLL.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\SHELL32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\SHLWAPI.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\USER32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\WS2HELP.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\WS2_32.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\WSOCK32.DLL

What OS are you running, XP? ServicePack? I have XP-Pro,sp2.

You see, I'm a bit stuck now.

Old 6th June 2006, 20:42   #10
Axellink

Hey abu, thanks for everything. I've sent you my fiels. Now I dont know about the other guys, but I have deleted some media library plugins. I'm gonna try a fresh install and see if that works ok. It could be something in 5.22 that it's not liking.

UPDATE:

Ok it looks like it works really well with 5.21 as it did before I upgraded. Reverted back to 5.22 with a fresh install, same as usual. Very weird. It's not liking something in 5.22 man.

Last edited by Axellink; 6th June 2006 at 20:59.
Old 6th June 2006, 21:19   #11
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Hi axellink,
I checked your files, and it all worked well with my 5.22 and ml_ipod 1.33a15.
S still no idea what's going on here

Old 6th June 2006, 22:48   #12
Axellink

hmmmm then ill try a pure clean install and see if that sorts out the problem. Damn this is odd
Old 6th June 2006, 23:36   #13
ferris209

Alright did a total clean uninstall of Winamp 5.22, even deleted the winamp folder in Program Files. The re-installed Winamp 5.21 with Mlipod 1.33 v15. Now everything works nice again. I've noticed that something is wrong or changed with 5.22. Not only is Mlipod messing up, but even my Winamp Color Editor don't work anymore. Abu you may have to compare the coding of Winamp 5.22 to 5.21 and find whats changed. But for now the dreaded error when I dock my Ipod is no more, hopefully for forever.
Old 11th June 2006, 12:35   #14
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Well, and now there is 5.23 already. Probably new incompatibilities.
Unfortunately, I have no possibility to compare the coding, they do not release it publically

Old 14th June 2006, 09:11   #15
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Any news from the other guys who had this weird problem? Fixed now?

Old 14th June 2006, 23:13   #16
shepard

No joy yet. 3 users here all on different computers, all with latest version of winamp and ml_Ipod. All 3 have the crash of Winamp as soon as iPods are plugged in.

I tried a fresh install today of Winamp and ML_iPod and still can not use it. May have to go back to Winamp 5.21 if I want to continue to use ML_iPod!
shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 07:43   #17
Axellink

yeah abu I'm afraid. I think its definately got something to do with what has changed in 5.22 and stayed in 5.23. It might not even been on your side. I'm gonna to a completely new install later on tonight and see if that works. The default ipod plugin designed for winamp works, but not your version
Old 15th June 2006, 08:38   #18
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Ok, I've got a clue. There seems to be a new bug in Winamp 5.23, that makes part of the internal API crash.
That happens when syncing the playcounts/ratings.
To make sure that this is the problem, please [list=1][*]Close Winamp[*]Attach iPod to computer[*]in Explorer, navigate to the X:\iPod_Control\iTunes folder on your iPod (maybe you have to enable "show hidden files" in explorer settings)[*]Open ml_ipod.ini in Notepad or another texteditor[*]If there is a line with "syncRatingsOnConnect=1" change that to "syncRatingsOnConnect=0"[*]If there is no line with "syncRatingsOnConnect", add one under the "[ml_ipod]" header: "syncRatingsOnConnect=0"[*]Save ml_ipod.ini[*]Start Winamp[/list=1]
I guess everything works fine now, until you try to do a "Smart sync ratings" (with the button). I could solve that with a special reinstall, see
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....80#post1958380

But that's no real solution, I know. It seems to be a Winamp problem, though...

Please give feedback, did the above given procedure help or change anything?

You can still try with 5.21 again, and ml_ipod 1.40. That should work. It does for me, at least.
(The default iPod plugin works, because it does not alter the ML items, there is no sync of ratings)

Old 15th June 2006, 15:46   #19
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Bug is found, it is caused by Winamp.
For those that are interested in the technical details, see my bug report at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....58#post1958658

Don't know when that will be fixed, but for now: Stay with 5.21

Old 15th June 2006, 18:29   #20
Axellink

I tried your temporary fixed, and it worked nicely. hmmm I hope they fix it very soon, cause their new versions are coming out with loads of new bug fixes and features.
Old 15th June 2006, 19:31   #21
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Lightbulb Workaround ???

I think I found a workaround for that Winamp bug. Try
http://mitglied.lycos.de/bursian/ipod/, file iPod_Support_v1_40p02.exe

If you have disabled "Sync on connect" with my hotfix above, you can reenable it in the preferences dialog now.

Please, please, give feedback - does it work?

Last edited by abu; 16th June 2006 at 09:17.
Old 15th June 2006, 19:44   #22
shepard

This bug was a real mess! On my system, I don't think it had anything to do with syncing as I don't use that. I found I could not just revert back to an earlier version. I had to do a REAL clean install, including uninstalling, deleting leftover files and directories, and a registry clean out. Then I installed an old version of winamp from scratch. Had to redo all my settings and plugins, also to get everything to work again.

** My question for abu is this:

The only old version of winamp I had saved was 5.2. I don't have 5.21. Will your new ml_iPod work with 5.2? Or should I install the previous version of ml_iPod?
Old 15th June 2006, 19:47   #23
shepard

Re: Workaround ???

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
I think I found a workaround for that Winamp bug, that does not break other stuff. Try
http://mitglied.lycos.de/bursian/ipod/

If you have disabled "Sync on connect" with my hotfix above, you can reenable it in the preferences dialog now.

Please, please, give feedback - does it work?
Are you saying that this is a fix for the Winamp bug that was causing the crash when you plugged in your iPod? Unrelated to syncing?

Last edited by abu; 15th June 2006 at 20:36.
Old 15th June 2006, 19:51   #24
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Re: Re: Workaround ???

Quote:
Originally posted by shepard
Are you saying that this is a fix for the Winamp bug that was causing the crash when the new ml_iPod was installed?
It should fix the bug that Winamp 5.22 and 5.23 sometimes crashes when you connect your iPod (if "Sync on connect" is on, which it is by default), when you do a "Sync ratings" or when you do a "Fix corrupt timestamps".

As I said, it is not a ml_ipod bug, it is just a workatound for the Winamp bug they introduced with 5.22 ;(

Actually, I hope that you don't get any crashes now with any Winamp version, if you use this 1.40patch01 ml_ipod. It should work with 5.2, too, but I don't have that version here.

Old 15th June 2006, 19:55   #25
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by shepard
This bug was a real mess! On my system, I don't think it had anything to do with syncing as I don't use that.
Well, if you do not disable it explicitely, it does a "sync ratings" automatically when connecting the iPod.

And you're right, it was a mess. Bad if they break their official interface with a new version of Winamp, like they did now. But nobody is perfect, not even the Nullsoft staff.

Old 15th June 2006, 23:05   #26
shepard

Has anyone with the original problem confirmed that this fixes it? I'm not brave enough to try it myself today as I have already spent way too much time getting everything but ml_iPod working again.
Old 15th June 2006, 23:46   #27
ferris209

I second the question, I'm sort of content with 5.21 and ML 1.40 until this bug is completely fixed.
Old 16th June 2006, 09:19   #28
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Be bold and fear not!

I improved the patch again, now it is in a state that is usable with all versions of Winamp, and it definitely works. I tried with 5.23, I had the bug when connecting the iPod, and now it's gone and completely stable. Use it.

Download iPod_Support_v1_40p02.exe

Old 16th June 2006, 15:50   #29
Axellink

It works!!!!! using 5.23 as well excellent fix, lets hope they correct the problem officially with 5.24
Old 16th June 2006, 17:57   #30
shepard

Yes, this fixed it with 5.23. I ran it through a bunch of stuff and all works fine so far.

Thanks!
Old 16th June 2006, 20:31   #31
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Puh, that was hard work. Happy that we've sorted it out now.
I need a break now....

Old 26th June 2006, 05:36   #32
shepard

Now that we have 5.23 working with the latest version of ml_iPod, does anyone know if Winamp 5.24 plays nicely also?
Old 26th June 2006, 16:47   #33
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Haven'T tried, but Winamp changelog says they only changed in_midi.dll, so nothing with the ML. Should work...

Old 29th June 2006, 07:08   #34
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Ok, I'm running 5.24 with ml_ipod 1.41 or 1.42a02 now, no problems.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion