2 GB of RAM
XFX Geforce 6800GS
ATI Radeon 7500
Primary WD HD 80 GB
Secondary WD HD 160 GB
NEC DVD Burner
CD-Writer
Windows XP Pro SP2 w/ all updates

When I start up winamp (whether through the shortcut or by opening a song) I immediately get an error message with "Windows - No Disk" for a title. The error reads:

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive ." (notice the blank space between drive and the period. Most error messages of this nature that I've googled for have a drive letter or directory path there. Just a blank for me).

I have 3 buttons for choices; Cancel, Try Again, or Continue. If I hit Cancel or Continue, it comes up again, and this happens for anywhere from 6-8 times. It is important to note that I have Alcohol 120% running with a virtual drive, an Ipod connected, a floppy drive, and I have a USB card reader with 4 slots. It is similar to a floppy drive in that each slot is portrayed by a drive, whether there is a disk/card in it or not. This is a bug in 5.2 In 5.111 this isn't a problem (that is the closest to 5.2 that I've tried). I did a full uninstall and reinstall multiple times, with numerous restarts and the problem wasn't fixed.

Most people in the forums have attributed this to a problem with a plugin. However, the only plugin I ever had was the ml_ipod plugin, and I have since removed that. I'm assuming I'm a black sheep with a stroke of bad luck, and some specific code interference with my system. I'll trust you guys to find a solution.

Thanks for all you do!

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Sorry, but we can't reproduce this.
I can reproduce this 100%.

My setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1 GB of RAM
Geforce 6600
Primary Maxtor HD 200 GB (SATA)
Secondary Maxtor HD 80 GB (PATA)
Toshiba DVD Burner
Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2 w/ all updates (German)

While I also have Alcohol 120% installed, I am 99% certain this is related to my internal USB cardreader.
I do have a clean install of Winamp 5.23 and I tried almost everything to get rid of this bug because I initially blamed the cardreader drivers. This doesn't seem to be the case, this is an incredibly annoying bug in the new portable musicplayer plugin! Uninstalling this plugin fixes the problem.
On every startup the plugin seems to access every single empty cardslot multiple times and gives back this error message:

"There is no disk in the drive . Please insert a disk into drive ." (including the blank spaces)

You have to click cancel 8 times (2 times for each slot) for Winamp to finally startup. Every single time.

My current workaround is uninstalling the PMP plugin, but I really wish I could use it in future versions.
Gott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 20:04   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

If you can reproduce it, but nobody else can it is a Tecxh support issue and not a bug.

full uninstall and reinstall
full system specs

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 21:24   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Can you confirm which of the specific Portable Media Player plugins causes the error to occur?

At a guess, it'll be pmp_p4s.dll (PlaysForSure device support),
and not pmp_ipod (iPod support) or pmp_njb (Creative Nomad support).

Is your USB Card Reader a PlaysForSure device?
If so, and you don't have any actual p4s portable media players,
then you'd probably just be best deleting winamp\plugins\pmp_p4s.dll
and unchecking P4S Support in the installer options for any future winamp installations.

I don't personally have any p4s devices, so I never install that plugin,
therefore I can't personally advise any further (eg. if there's an option in the pmp_p4s config to exclude certain devices from detection).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 22:21   #4
Gott

@drewbar

It is a bug that "gstlouis" posted and that I can now confirm and that most likely a lot of people with USB-cardreaders (there aren't that many different chips and drivers out there for those) can confirm.

@DJ Egg

I do not have an iPod or a Creative Nomad, I do have a no-name PlaysForSure-player though (but I doesn't matter if it's connected or not for this bug). I did install all plugins initially but removed the iPod and Nomad plugins later on.

I just ran a few tests and the bug doesn't seem to be in either pmp_p4s.dll, pmp_ipod.dll or pmp_njb.dll. Removing any or even all of them has no effect - I always have to click cancel 8 times for winamp to start.
The bug seems to be caused by ml_pmp.dll, removing it or uninstalling it via Winamp and the bug is gone immediately.

The USB Card Reader is not a PlaysForSure device as far as I know, it's just a cheap, ordinary USB Card Reader that can be found in most current PCs or PC-cases. If you buy a complete pc you can hardly avoid getting one of those
Old 11th June 2006, 22:49   #5
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Does that card reader otherwise work properly?

I'm asking because I used to get similar weird error messages at Windows startup, and sometimes other devices (modem, tv tuner card) wouldn't work either, all these problems magically disapeared when I replaced the power supply.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 23:17   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, strange.

afaik, ml_pmp shouldn't be detecting any usb devices, because it's just a pmp_*.dll plugin loader
(well, it also adds the 'Portables' root entry in the ML left pane, and the Portables menu in the Prefs).

But if you're saying that the error message only occurs when ml_pmp is present, but also when all the pmp_*.dll plugins aren't present, then yeah, this does suggest that it could be some kind of weird bug in ml_pmp.dll.

And if that's the case, then I guess only Will (pmp coder) can answer/diagnose this.

Unless it's something to do with a dodgy/underpowered psu, as gaekwad2 suggests?

The plot thickens...
Old 12th June 2006, 00:07   #7
Gott

Yes, while trying to find the origin of this bug I stumbled upon a few other strange problems with cardreaders people reported on various forums. There seem to be other (incorrectly?) coded programms that cause similiar error messages in combination with a standard cardreader.

I however do not experience any problems except with Winamp 5.2x and ml_pmp.dll present.

The message reported looks like it is a windows system error message, not a Winamp-error as far as I can tell, but it is definately triggered by ml_pmp.dll.
Accessing an empty cardreaderslot from Windows Explorer or any other programm just shows the normal "Please insert disk ..." message that you also get when trying to access an empty disk- or CD-drive. All slots work flawlessly as far as I can tell and the cardreader is supported by windows without any additional third-party drivers that might cause problem (just like USB-sticks and similiar USB-storage devices).
I assume that ml_pmp.dll checks for connected devices in a way that causes problems with cardreaders.
Old 8th July 2006, 05:07   #8
Artanis

I can confirm this issue still exists with Winamp 5.24. I have a Crucial USB multi card reader (CR-T3-U28). This annoyed me to no end until I found this thread. Uninstalled the Portable music plugin for the ML and have no more issues, other than being without whatever features that plugin offered.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 02:17   #9
Coriolus

I am using 5.24 and had the same "Drive not ready" error and I uninstalled the Portable Music Player Plugin and it went away.

Works for me I guess..
Coriolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 09:37   #10
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Please confirm that this no longer exists in the public 5.25 beta

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 21:34   #11
Carey934

Me, too

Had the same trouble. Also have a generic USB card reader. Nothing changed on the PC except my version of Winamp, uninstall PMP from the plug-ins section and seems to work fine now...
Carey934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 13:20   #12
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Please confirm that this no longer exists in the public 5.25 beta

Old 16th September 2006, 21:19   #13
gabrielsond

Still Exists In 5.25 build 868 Beta

I just installed the latest beta build 868 to see if this problem was fixed and it is not! I guess I will uninstall that plugin, never used it before and probably never will anyway.
gabrielsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 21:32   #14
gabrielsond

Still Exists In 5.25 build 868 Beta (UPDATE)

I just uninstalled the the PlaysForSure plugin and the problem went away. Funny how the USB Device plugin doesn't have the problem when the device it is scanning is my Epson CX4800's card reader...

As a programmer, I don't think this should be a very difficult bug to fix so I wonder why it is taking the development team so long to squash this annoyance.
gabrielsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 21:39   #15
DrO

as a programmer you'd know that to fix a bug you need to be able to reproduce it... though from the looks of it pmp_p4s could possibly do with a call to SetErrorMode(..) like pmp_usb does but not knowing how the plugin works i could be on the wrong line of throught completely.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:34   #16
Koji-Kabuto

I am using Winamp 5.3 and am getting this same error.
My specs:

Athlon XP 2500+(1.83gHz)
1GB RAM
HD WD 80gb
HD Maxtor 40gb
DVD-RW Pioneer
Windows XP Pro SP2
ATI Radeon 8500 128mb
Epson Stylus CX4500(With card reader)

Well, after reading a post here, I uninstalled the PlaysForSure and the problem went away, so I'd guess it's that.
Koji-Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 05:09   #17
TrinitronX

I can confirm this bug in winamp 5.3 (x86).
The problem disappears after renaming the file: "pmp_p4s.dll" to "pmp_p4s.dll.bak" in "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\".
TrinitronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 11:14   #18
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

The next version change log says something about this error being fixed. unsure if thats sure confirmation since i never got this error myself. I suppose Will should really confirm.

Old 9th October 2006, 12:00   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Without going into too much detail, it was actually a conflict (race condition bug) between pmp_usb and pmp_ipod. Removing pmp_p4s would change the loading time bewteen pmp_ipod and pmp_usb, thus maybe causing the bug to no longer appear.

In other cases, removing one of pmp_usb or pmp_ipod also got rid of the error.

For now, just remove the pmp_*.dll plugin(s) that you don't use.
eg. I've got a Creative Zen Micro (1.x firmware) and a couple of USB Pen/Flash drives, so all I require are pmp_njb and pmp_usb (I keep pmp_p4s and pmp_ipod unchecked in the installer options).

All that said and done, as CraigF said, it is referenced in the internal beta changelog, so is hopefully fixed for the next release.
Old 9th October 2006, 16:53   #20
jkunze

I have only have pmp_usb.dll installed,but I get this message. But it only occures, if my Sony Ericsson K800i is connected to my PC. I have an internal usb-cardreader (with 4 drives in the windows explorer) installed.

I think winamp is looking for pmp_usb.ini and for winamp_cache_0001.xml. And the problem ony occures, if I let winamp manage one of the both drives of the k800i.
The drive letters of my k800i are G and H. The drives of my cardreader are U,V,W and X. And it seems, that the error doesn't occurr, if i chance the drive letters of the k800i to y and z.
jkunze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 16:25   #21
Arranger

Dumped the iPod .dll - Now all is well.

XP Pro SP2
WA 5.3 with WinAmp53 Update Pack
All files associated with WA as much as possible.
This is an audio-configured PC.

I started off by dumping the iPod .dll PlugIn, since I'll never own an iPod and that fixed the No Disc Error.

Looks good after multiple opens and reboots.
Arranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 20:39   #22
azadian

I had to remove 3 out of the four pmp_*.dll files to make my version 5.3 winamp stop complaining about missing disks.
azadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 06:16   #23
jeffy777
Major Dude

I just installed 5.3 after a clean install of XP and the error was driving me nutty till I found this thread. Removed the pmp plugin and all is now well
jeffy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 22:04   #24
seme

so me knucle head and have this problem..
where do i find these .pmp files to remove?
thanks.
seme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 22:10   #25
alex_gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by seme
so me knucle head and have this problem..
where do i find these .pmp files to remove?
thanks.
in C:\program files\winamp\plugins\.

the computer is never at fault for an error; a human is, though.
DO NOT PM me for tech support.
No matter what you're doing, use the right tool for the job!
alex_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 22:35   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

the problem is meant to be fixed in 5.31, if you can confirm...
Old 6th November 2006, 22:46   #27
bohnman

5.31 works

Installed 5.31 and the problem went away.
bohnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 23:24   #28
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

5.31 whatsnew

* Fixed: [ml_pmp/pmp_ipod/pmp_usb] 'no disc in drive' error message
Old 16th November 2006, 00:19   #29
Funkmeister0000

I'm on 5.3 and have the same problem. Uninstalling the PMP plugin fixes it though. Does this actually provide any useful functionality?

FWIW, load times are also now fractions of a second, rather than the pause that occurred before it threw up the "Windows - No Disk" errors...

Reluctant to go to 5.31 unless strictly necessary..?

HTH.

**EDIT**

Tries 5.31 for the hell of it - finds problem fixed, now works fine. /panic & frustration
Funkmeister0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 10:23   #30
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Yeah, if you read the thread properly, you'd see that 5.31 fixes this issue. heh.

Old 16th November 2006, 18:37   #31
brxwa

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
Yeah, if you read the thread properly, you'd see that 5.31 fixes this issue. heh.
5.31 did not fix the issue for me.. Though, 5.31 is the first version of Winamp I installed on this laptop.

I do not have any virtual cdrom drives running. This is a goddamn annoying error since no matter what I click, it never goes away. It doesn't even go away if I ctrl-alt-del and end task.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amperror.jpg (84.5 KB, 991 views)
brxwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 19:26   #32
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

haha, i love that screenshot!

Old 16th November 2006, 20:52   #33
brxwa

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
haha, i love that screenshot!
The first thing I did when I got that error was type it into Google. When I read your post, as frustrated as I was, it made me laugh having to scroll past the error as I read it.

Oh well.. hope they fix it. I'll be happy to give more details of my setup, if needed. Though, it seems to me that Winamp shouldn't be trying to access 'D:' on startup anyway.
Old 16th November 2006, 21:35   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You've not given us much to go on.
What type of drive is Drive D:?
Is it a CD-ROM Drive? Internal or external?
Or is it an external USB Hard Drive? Or other?
Old 17th November 2006, 13:39   #35
brxwa

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
You've not given us much to go on.
What type of drive is Drive D:?
Is it a CD-ROM Drive? Internal or external?
Or is it an external USB Hard Drive? Or other?
It's the internal cdrw/dvd drive in my IBM T41p laptop. If I put any disk in the drive, Winamp does not display the error. Though, usually I do not keep anything in the drive.

There are no card readers plugged in. I am not using any virtual cdrom drives. Though, Lenovo updated my Laptop security chip software with a 'virtual' secure drive that shows up as R: in My Computer.

So in My Computer, I have C:, D:, and R: and that's it. I am using Windows XP SP2 with all the latest Windows Update patches. It also updated itself from IBM's old software to Lenovo's new software.

The memory-resident programs are ThinkVantage Password Manager (Lenovo), Microsoft ActiveSync, ATI Tray Tools, Etrust EZ Antivirus, SoundMAX Control Panel, Intel Wired Adapter tools, IBM Message Center..

If there's any more information you need, lemme know.

EDIT: BTW, my internal CDRW/DVD acts like an 'external' in terms of Windows behavior. It shows up in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' list.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports