Old 20th March 2007, 01:24   #1
mjburns

Classic skin pops up when modern skin used

When I enable Winamp Modern skin it works fine but every time I mouse over the skin the classic skin pops up somewhere on the screen like a phantom.
This has been happening for quite some time (several versions so I just use the classic skin. Today I did a full reinstall (emptied folder after uninstall). WinAmp Pro v5.33 full install. Still happens. The plug-ins I am using are:gen_tbar_v152,NxS_Xfade_v0.7, TomSteady Audio Filter_v1.4.
Windows XP Pro SP-2, P4-3.07, 2 GB RAM, dual screens (doesn't matter where I put it).

I love Winamp!

thanks

mike
mjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 01:36   #2
JonnyMac

Classic "ghosts" are usually caused by a desktop enhancer (example: YzShadow here | here). Are you using some type of a desktop enhancer? Either add Winamp to the enhancer's exclude list (if there is one) or disable the enhancer.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 02:13   #3
mjburns

No desktop enhancer

I'm not using any 'desktop enhancers'. I have WinXP Pro looking very much like win2K (shut off all the 'goo')

Thanks for the reply.

mike
Old 20th March 2007, 02:38   #4
mjburns

I should also add that I have Streamripper for WinAmp v1.62-beta-2 installed.
Old 20th March 2007, 02:45   #5
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

Does the behavior happen when the streamripper is turned off?

Because I think you just answered your own question.
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 03:23   #6
mjburns

Streamripper for Winamp can't be turned off it launches with Winamp (is in the tray icons), so I uninstalled it and tried again. The phantom classic skin still pops up (it's the main panel with volume, scatter bar and scrolling play list).

best

mike
Old 20th March 2007, 19:44   #7
JonnyMac

Does the classic window pop up if you disabled the third party plug-ins?
To fully disable a plug-in, either move the plug-in file to another folder or add .off to the end of the file name, while Winamp is not running.

You did mention that you are not using 'desktop enhancers', however are you using a virtual desktop as part of the dual screen monitor setup?

If none of the above are it, please provide additional system & Winamp specs. Are you using a mouse utility like X-mouse or katMouse? Something that gives mouse focus when you hover over an application.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:01   #8
mjburns

I did do a full, clean, reinstall, no plugins and had the same problem. Motherboard is ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, Sound MAX sound card, DirectX v9.0c...but I did find a very acceptable solution.

I have another system very similar to this one (P4P800 SE) and updated it to v5.33. Same "phantom" with the Modern Skin, but there was a skin in the bunch I had collected called "Winamp_5.wsz" that does work fine. I have a hunch that it is not a true "modern" skin, but it looks like it and it works. I have a "Winamp5" Streamripper skin and NXS SFADE works with it...so I'm happy.

True Modern Skin with phantom:
http://67.47.20.218/phantom.jpg

What I'm using:
http://67.47.20.218/winamp5.jpg

If you're interested:
http://67.47.20.218/hijackthis_v1.99.1-log.txt

I don't think it's worth pursuing as this certainly is not a show stopper.

Thanks for the help.

mike burns
Old 22nd March 2007, 09:59   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Running Processes:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\PDesk\PDESK.EXE

That is Matrox PowerDesk.

Do you have two graphics cards (nVidia and Matrox)?

Is there a way to exclude Winamp somehow in the pdesk config?
Does pdesk need to be running, eg. for multimon setup?
Does the problem go away if you kill that process?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 17:26   #10
mjburns

Since the problem exists on all my machines I figured it was something I was running in all of them and I finally found it.
You were spot on about it being a "screen manager". I like my task bar on top of the screen and use an old program called "ShoveIt.exe" to keeps windows from opening under the task bar, and is always active...a full blown "screen manager". I've used it for so long (since Windows95) without problems that I just didn't think about it. I'll have to learn to put the task bar at the bottom, where it belongs.
http://67.47.20.218/shoveit_v1.2.zip (37KB)

PDESK.EXE isn't running, I use Mark Russionovich's "Autoruns v8.53" to shut off many of the unneeded "autorun" items (it allows for turning them back on again).
http://67.47.20.218/autoruns.jpg (offending process has a red arrow)
I don't know why HijackThis sees it as running...I noticed that last night when I made the log.
Task Manager shows it as not running. The "unchecked" process are put in a different folder in the registry and/or startup folder.
http://67.47.20.218/run.jpg
http://67.47.20.218/disabled.jpg

I'm sorry it took me so long to figure out and find the problem, you all were most patient and methodical.
This item is closed.
Thanks very much.

Best

mike..
Old 23rd March 2007, 00:06   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ahh right, I also suspected that one, but wasn't sure what it was, heh.

Yup, the classic skin main window is built into winamp.exe and is always loaded, but is forced offscreen when a modern skin is used.

I guess Shoveit was forcing it to stay onscreen...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 19:33   #12
Necrofire

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
...I guess Shoveit was forcing it to stay onscreen...
Through sheer luck and the use of a great program called Process Explorer, I found another interfering program.

Nvidia's nView desktop manager forces the classic Winamp title bar to the center of the screen on startup. I just wanted to thank you guys for pointing out that a desktop manager could interfere with Winamp.
Necrofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support