Old 25th July 2007, 15:46   #1
E-Trance

Send a message via ICQ to E-Trance
A good step... but it's still untranslatable

Quote:
* Improved: Current translation support of core strings and dialogs
I'm almost happy! But what about the plugins? These are still untranslatable. Could you move the strings to the resource section as you did in winamp.exe? It is a real pain to translate in HEX-editors. Why can't you make a really translatable international player? Language plugins are able to translate only 30% of interface. I even can't call these language plugins because 30%-translated interface is just awful.
E-Trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 15:59   #2
DrO

you shouldn't be translating those dlls in a hex-editor to begin with since you're causing potential issues and stability problems by doing that.

and just to clarify, they're language packs not plugins (since no code is allowed to run from them).

as for full translateability it would be nice but it would involve a lot of work to go through and sort out all of the plugins to be translated in such a manner which some poor sod would have to do (i wouldn't envy anyone having to do that task).

maybe it will happen since i'm sure improved language pack support is on the wishlist somewhere, but who knows what will happen...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:37   #3
E-Trance

Yes, I know about damaging dlls in a hex-editor but it is only the way to translate it. So if language packs are supported then why not to do it as it should be? And where is the sense of lang pack that translates only 30% of interface? This is just an imperfection. Why the "#1 player in the universe" should exist only in English? (ok... 70%-English). Why not to solve the problem that exists since language packs appeared?

Sorry for my English
Old 25th July 2007, 17:52   #4
DrO

you'd need to ask the old dev team about the decisions made back in the first versions when language packs appeared and hence were continued in a reduced state into 5.x

as for solving the issue, it would all come down to resources to implement a full language pack support and some way to manage things (since the winamp.exe lng file barely changes but the plugins can which would then need some sort of ability to ensure that it matches to the correct version of the plugin)

who knows, one day you may get your wish but in the mean time you'll have to put up with the lack of support.

-daz
Old 25th July 2007, 18:34   #5
E-Trance

I think that there is not so many problems as it seems. Many programs have normal localizations of their plugins in PE-format files. Version check is not a problem: Translators are able to make full translations once a week (also with HEX-editing ). So even if winamp team will release new versions every week there will be no problems with normal language packs (at least with Russian lang packs ... I'm sure ). If lang packs will be PE-like format then it's very easy to make version check. Isn't it?

And even if not to make lng-files... Why not to move strings to resource section?

The problem is really serious (not technically). Winamp won't have a completely good name in the world while this problem is not solved (IMHO) =)
Old 26th July 2007, 06:59   #6
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by E-Trance
I think that there is not so many problems as it seems. Many programs have normal localizations of their plugins in PE-format files. Version check is not a problem: Translators are able to make full translations once a week (also with HEX-editing ). So even if winamp team will release new versions every week there will be no problems with normal language packs (at least with Russian lang packs ... I'm sure ). If lang packs will be PE-like format then it's very easy to make version check. Isn't it?

And even if not to make lng-files... Why not to move strings to resource section?

The problem is really serious (not technically). Winamp won't have a completely good name in the world while this problem is not solved (IMHO) =)
What's wrong with English?
Joonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 09:06   #7
DrO

Quote:
Version check is not a problem: Translators are able to make full translations once a week (also with HEX-editing ). So even if winamp team will release new versions every week there will be no problems with normal language packs (at least with Russian lang packs ... I'm sure ). If lang packs will be PE-like format then it's very easy to make version check. Isn't it?
it would be an issue since there are far too many old language packs for the very early 5.0x series still around which are missing some of the prefs options added in the later 5.1+ versions which if there was some version checking in place would show up this issue and an ideal case would be to revert to the original built in version of the dialog/options string. most of the language packs are made once and then aren't touched anymore so what you've said cannot be applied to the general case which is what has to be done when it comes to language packs - especially considering there's very few that i'm aware of which are even updated on a regular basis (still not sure how many have even been correctly modified to the include the alterations to dialog alignments made in the last update)

Quote:
because even if that's only done it's then encouraging people to make editted versions of the plugins and we're then back into the same area of hex editting of files (and i'm sure the winamp license doesn't really allow that to be done in the first place... but has been allowed for language packs reluctantly due to all of the other issues they cause - anyone remember the instabilities caused by the german language pack and hence it's removal from winamp.com)

Quote:
The problem is really serious (not technically).
as i said earlier, it may eventually be dealt with but i think other areas of the player are deserving of the available dev time since doing full localisation would be no small undertaking to do to have everything in winamp localised - am sure it's approaching 50 modules which would need to be dealt with and that's one dev out of the very small team immediately lost for however long.

but as i say who knows what will happen. i do agree that full translation would be good to have (since i'd like a full english uk version as all of those z's and lack of u's is annoying). we can only hope it'll be looked into sooner rather than later i guess.

joonas: i can't see anything wrong with it especially considering how much of the internet and related stuff is all published in english

-daz
Old 26th July 2007, 15:57   #8
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

bring winamp3 back it was easier.

/me runs
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 16:13   #9
DrO

heh, but that was only since it was basically designed for it from the start, anything done on the current core and plugins is a retro fit back into it i'd say. oh the days of the happy language file...

-daz
Old 26th July 2007, 19:16   #10
E-Trance

OK. I hope this dream will come true.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
What's wrong with English?
This question is strange a bit. Why I have to use English if I am Russian? Yes, I understand English well, but all the wishes to translate Winamp are not only for me. And I am also like to interact with my computer on my native language! Or may be anyone on this planet must know the English language? If the player claim to be an international then it should have international interface or the ability to have such interface at least. Yes, the English language is mostly used language around the world, but don't forget that there is also another languages. And these languages can be used equally with English. Otherwise there will be a discrimination. Isn't it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
bring winamp3 back it was easier.

/me runs
Sorry, but... Stuff and nonsense!
Old 27th July 2007, 07:34   #11
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
This question is strange a bit. Why I have to use English if I am Russian? Yes, I understand English well, but all the wishes to translate Winamp are not only for me. And I am also like to interact with my computer on my native language! Or may be anyone on this planet must know the English language?
If the player claim to be an international then it should have international interface or the ability to have such interface at least. Yes, the English language is mostly used language around the world, but don't forget that there is also another languages. And these languages can be used equally with English. Otherwise there will be a discrimination. Isn't it?
Well, I am Swedish but I rather prefer both Winamp and my system in English. Most technical terms origin with the English language which makes for confusing translations most of the time.

Especially with development team on Winamp being rather small in contrast to the feature requests from the users I think translation is not something that should be prioritized. But that's just me

And yes, I think it would be better if everyone spoke (or at least read/wrote) English
Joonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 12:39   #12
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
Most technical terms origin with the English language which makes for confusing translations most of the time.
which is one of the ruling things over why most of the internet and it's related usage is done with english as the prefered choice of language. bearing in mind where and what the internet came from, it's not all that surprising that english is used as much as it is.

it is still a valid point that winamp needs better translation support and i'm sure that it's something which will eventually come but i think some patience is needed (considering how lame the support has been already, waiting some time longer isn't going to cause too much more of an issue imho). but we shall see...

-daz
Old 13th October 2007, 18:41   #13
E-Trance

* New: Fully translatable Localization support
* New: WLZ (Winamp Language Zip) filetype support

Oh.... I am expressing an everlasting gratitude for a good localization system! Thanks a lot! I am almost happy today

hurrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion