Old 6th September 2007, 00:08   #1
glop

ml_ipod and all new iPod (nano, classic &Touch)

Hi guys

ready for offering the new iPod touch to Achim ?

and Achim, ready to verify the compatibility with th new iPod including the Wonderful iPod Touch ?

see you later
glop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 05:27   #2
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

The classic is just a 6G standard iPod, so I'd imagine that would already be compatible. Same goes for the 3G nano--at the database level, it's almost certainly the same as the 5.5G iPod. Not sure about the touch, though... it looks like an iPhone minus the phone, and ml_iPod doesn't currently support iPhones.

The good thing is that if ml_iPod comes to support touches, it'll probably automatically support iPhones as well.

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 07:26   #3
glop

eheh good news
so we just have to collect money for achim
and link to him the unlock software for not to be an obligation to use AT&T
glop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 22:48   #4
BCan

Looks like a fimrware update is due too, with the new look on the interface for the iPod Classic and iPod nano
BCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 07:51   #5
jmbattle

I doubt that Apple will be updating the firmware of older iPods to add the new interface features - this is surely one of the reasons for buying a brand new model.

Cheers,
James
x
jmbattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 08:39   #6
BCan

Surely the internals of the iPod would'nt leave older units in the dust, the main selling point now with the iPod Classic is the increased size of HDD.

The nano changes completely, adding video, but if they shaft the iPod Classics, well...............!!
BCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 22:12   #7
ihatemakingscre

iPod classic

Well, I can confirm that it isn't working with the classic. It synced up alright, and subtracted my media library from the total 80 gigs, but is not showing up in the actual iPod itself.

Just figured I'd let y'all know.

This sucks, as I'll have to resort to the horrible iTunes, bane of my existence until ml_ipod can support the new gen iPods.
ihatemakingscre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 06:45   #8
Stupifier
Major Dude

Well....I would like to get a 160GB classic in about 6 months or so. We'll just have to wait and see if ml_ipod will pick it up. I think Abu has been kinda busy lately
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 21:03   #9
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by Stupifier
I think Abu has been kinda busy lately
Just too true Work is consuming all my time at the moment...

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 22:26   #10
Stupifier
Major Dude

Hey man....thats completely understandable. I'm pretty bogged down in school right now.
Old 11th September 2007, 21:38   #11
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Re: iPod classic

Quote:
Originally posted by ihatemakingscre
Well, I can confirm that it isn't working with the classic. It synced up alright, and subtracted my media library from the total 80 gigs, but is not showing up in the actual iPod itself.
Bad news, indeed. I really expected it to work for the classic (not for the Touch, though).

Well, I just bought the 5.5G 80GB for making videos work, so I doubt that people will be willing to sponsor a classic now :-)

Maybe we can get it to work with some help. I need one or two classic owner who are willing to send me some files. In particular I need the iTunesDB from the device after it is written by iTunes (and works on the iPod). Then connect it to ml_ipod, eject it -> now the iPod does not work any more? Send me the new iTunesDB. Restore the one from iTunes (saved earlier). Now it works again?

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 11th September 2007, 22:21   #12
ihatemakingscre

Re: Re: iPod classic

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
Bad news, indeed. I really expected it to work for the classic (not for the Touch, though).

Well, I just bought the 5.5G 80GB for making videos work, so I doubt that people will be willing to sponsor a classic now :-)

Maybe we can get it to work with some help. I need one or two classic owner who are willing to send me some files. In particular I need the iTunesDB from the device after it is written by iTunes (and works on the iPod). Then connect it to ml_ipod, eject it -> now the iPod does not work any more? Send me the new iTunesDB. Restore the one from iTunes (saved earlier). Now it works again?
Yes, very bad news. I'm starting to experience some iTunes Stockholm syndrome. It downloads podcasts! Blech. It sucks, still. I'm shocked a media player/ipod manager can kill resources so brutally, especially after seeing how well ml_ipod/winamp does it. And it's dramatically *over*simplified, but that's another story. (I just want some basic functionality plz? Live folder updating?)

Anyways, my point is, I'm game. I'll send you whatever you want. Just tell me what, how, and where I can find the files. Just plz, bring me back my ml_ipod!

Question, though: Why don't you just return the 5.5g, pay the 10% restocking fee and get the new classic? I think they're definitely worth it. Or, buy the classic, preserve it in it's new-like state, and just use it to get ml_ipod working. Then return it, and get your money back. I'm sure ml_ipod users (this one included) would donate the cash to pay the restocking fees. Just some thoughts.
Old 11th September 2007, 23:42   #13
frnzy

Another option, would be selling your 5.5g (autographed of course ) to some soul here that would want to spend more money than a typical donation. Then you could put that money toward a 6g.
frnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 20:26   #14
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Re: Re: Re: iPod classic

Quote:
Question, though: Why don't you just return the 5.5g, pay the 10% restocking fee and get the new classic? I think they're definitely worth it. Or, buy the classic, preserve it in it's new-like state, and just use it to get ml_ipod working. Then return it, and get your money back. I'm sure ml_ipod users (this one included) would donate the cash to pay the restocking fees. Just some thoughts.
Well, I bought it here at Amazon Germany. And there you can return within 14 days only. Seems they are much more consumer friendly in the USA (restocking fees... never heard of anything like that here in Europe)

But well, I received an iTunesDB from another user already, and tried to analyze it. Seems to be harder than I thought. They added a whole new section to the database, which will take a long time to understand. And other parts changed sizes or version numbers. Maybe(?) it's enough to increase the version numbers, but I'm not sure. I'll try to create some patched versions and let you know.

Old 12th September 2007, 21:57   #15
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Maybe the new section is for Cover Flow? From what I read, the 6G's Cover Flow lets you view the back art as well as the front.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 12th September 2007, 22:11   #16
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by fatcerberus1
Maybe the new section is for Cover Flow?
Actually there are two new sections, id 4 and 5. ID 4 could be for cover flow, ID 5 seems to be precalculated lists for the contents of the "Videos", "Audiobooks" menus etc. Maybe it's for speeding up the browsing. There is always this delay when opening the Videos submenu for the first time - maybe this is solved by this section...?

Quote:
From what I read, the 6G's Cover Flow lets you view the back art as well as the front.
I don't think it's true. I saw the demo video. You can virtually flip the cover image, but then you get the tracklist, not the real image of the back cover.

Old 14th September 2007, 23:09   #17
PatrickNeil

I'm shocked by all this. I'd waited so long to buy an iPod, and I do so under the assumption that it would work with Winamp. I have to know: what are the chances that ml_ipod will work with my new iPod classic sometime in the future? I'm leaving the country, and have but two days to decide if I'm keeping it.

Patrick
PatrickNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 02:00   #18
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Well, the fact that it uses the iTunesDB format is promising. Abu just has to decipher the new sections in the database and we should be good to go...

Windows 7 Beta
Old 15th September 2007, 03:05   #19
cortana

Abu, here's some (rather sensationalist) info:

http://ipodminusitunes.blogspot.com/...ts-us-off.html

I think Apple added the checksums as their own internal consistency checks, not to kill non-iTunes players, but who knows.
cortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 03:30   #20
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Free software nuts (i.e. most Linux users--notice that the article takes pains to inform the reader the new iPods won't work with Linux) always cry foul when something that used to work with their software doesn't work anymore. This is nothing new. They seem to have this attitude that backwards compatibility is an inalienable right.

Sorry. Just venting.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 15th September 2007, 21:23   #21
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Well, all that doesn't sound very promising. Keep in mind, the article about the undeciphered hash codes is by Will, the chief developer at Nullsoft for the portable devices! Which means, if he states that they can't get it to work, Winamp won't do it, Linux won't do it, and ml_ipod won't do it either.

At the moment I strongly doubt that we will manage to work with the new classic in the next months. Maybe if someone from the Linux community figures it out, I'll be able to add the support code to ml_iPod. But I definitely don't have the time to reverse engineer this crap!

Shame on Apple!!! This is one of their worst moves ever!

And it's quite clear for me why they do it: They want to force people to use iTunes, because that in turn brings more customers to the iTunes music store. And I bet they make lots of money with ITMS...

Old 16th September 2007, 01:52   #22
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

How do we even know this is a hash? The new format hasn't been reverse-engineered yet, so the new field could mean anything, really. I think Will is jumping to conclusions here.

Besides, chances are the iPodLinux guys will figure it out sooner rather than later. They've done a pretty good job so far.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 16th September 2007, 17:45   #23
DrO

because those who are actually looking into it also seem to agree on it being a hash of some sort. but as you say, someone will most likely work it out sooner rather than later and depending on what/how it's done may mean that ml_ipod will be one up on the native winamp support if it's not a way that legal will allow to be done in the native implementation

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 23:04   #24
bowmanWA

The gtkpod folks have finished reverse-engineering the hash (yes it was a hash, and the code for it in itunes appears to have been obfuscated on purpose). Code cleanup is underway. The details are in #gtkpod on freenode.
bowmanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 23:07   #25
PatrickNeil

Good news Bowman. Then I shall keep the iPod Classic in hope that it will be function correctly soon.

Patrick
PatrickNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 05:49   #26
ihatemakingscre

This is a good thing, right?

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/496-iPod-Classic-Will-Be-Supported.html

Last edited by abu; 17th September 2007 at 21:35.
Old 17th September 2007, 09:57   #27
Stupifier
Major Dude

Yo Abu or another admin....can you guys retrieve those links for us
Old 17th September 2007, 12:47   #28
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

You could have done it yourself, just by reading the Topic Review on the bottom of the Reply page. In any case, here is the link (it was actually one link posted twice, one with text, the other just a raw address):

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...Supported.html

Anyway, I figured the hash would be deciphered pretty quickly. There's no way iTunes would hash all the media on the iPod (imagine hashing 160GB of data!), so chances are it just hashes the database somehow, which would be relatively easy to reverse engineer.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 17th September 2007, 15:55   #29
jtbse

Send a message via AIM to jtbse Send a message via Yahoo to jtbse
Q for the group. Does anyone know....... does this hash that Apple added to the iTunesDB affect only the new generations of iPods? Or should the rest of us avoid updating firmware for awhile as well?

TIA
jtbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 16:53   #30
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

It's really too soon to tell whether they'll add this to the older models' firmware or not. The safe bet is, as you said, to stay away from firmware updates for a while. As long as your iPod is working properly, there's really no need to update the firmware anyway. Very rarely does an update add new features.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 18th September 2007, 14:16   #31
logaen

i would like to buy a new classic ipod ... but i'll do just when i can use it without itunes! thanx guys!
logaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 12:42   #32
sweetL

well hithere . winamp forums, and ipod classic owner n00b here. so, i bought an ipod classic 80 gig after caving at tax-free in luton airport.

then realised i hate auto-sync, so manually managed.

then realised i cant scrobble because last.fm ipod support is cack.

then remembered how much i hate itunes.

then found ml_ipod and was happy.

then got my databases corrupted cause i didnt read this post.

very happy to read whats on here tho. ill be patiently waiting for classic support so i can ditch itunes in finality....

very impressed with ml_ipod otherwise, gives me all the options id want, including 'just leave it the hell alone, let the user decide what to do' which is just briliant.
sweetL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 21:23   #33
ihatemakingscre

So, any progress on the ml_ipod classic support?

I've just noticed that iTunes' DRM scheme is not syncing a good deal of my music and movies for no reason. What a pain. Anyone know a way around that, for the time being?
Old 30th September 2007, 21:48   #34
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
So, any progress on the ml_ipod classic support?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....82#post2244882

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion