Old 4th October 2007, 14:24   #1
acmlethee

new iPod: Updating software & uploading pictures

Hello,

I just got a new iPod nano, 8GB.

I noticed 2 issues: if I use once Winamp to upload music iTunes gets all nervous and tells me to restore the iPod altogether (apparently it is not recognized anymore). This would not be a problem since Winamp is way better, however I am wondering how I could eventually update the iPod software?

Hopefully there will be some updates since the coverflow does not work properly with compilations(as discussed widely already, for example.

Secondly, when uploading pictures through synchronising an separate folder, I only get black images.

If anyone has some tips and tricks to share it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
acmlethee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 14:58   #2
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Yes, I need some help for implementing the nano features. See http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=277559
Pictures are not supported yet.

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 15:00   #3
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Actually, I don't know why iTunes thinks it has to restore the iPod. Probably one ore two bits that are not set properly in the database by ml_iPod, that are not needed on the iPod itself. So it'll be almost impossible to find out what iTunes expects to see.
As I have no classic or nano 3G, it'll be even harder

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 4th October 2007, 17:15   #4
jmcbns

I've got the Classic, anything specific you want me to look at as far as iTunes compatibility goes?

I'd rather not wipe out my iPod to test this but if I have to it doesn't take all that long to restore my 45 GB from ML.
jmcbns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 17:46   #5
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Thanks for the offer. At the moment, I don't even know what to ask for. It's a tedious process: We must take a valid iTunesDB (from iTunes), and step by step transform this to the one created by ml_ipod. After each step attach the iPod to iTunes again, and see if it recognizes it. Then, at some point, where iTunes refuses to accept the iPod, we found the problem. But that takes a lot of time, hex editing, and a lot of turns with iTunes.
For playing around, it should(?) be enough to rename the ipod_control folder. Then iTunes won't touch it. (Well, maybe that's not true if you really "restore" in iTunes, I guess that could wipe the whole iPod HD). Creating a simple backup to another HD of the ipod_control folder would be safest, if you have 45GB free somewhere...
Then you could create a new iTunesDB with iTunes, transfer some songs. Save the iTunesDB. Then run ml_ipod, and eject. Now the database is rewriten, probably iTunes does not accept the iPod any longer. Then you have to compare the two iTunesDB versions. Not so easy. http://ipodlinux.org/ITunesDB is the reference page.
Maybe by just null'ing some areas of the original iTunesDB, you could get the same behaviour that iTunes rejects the iPod? If you can narrow it down to some bytes, we could try to provide the correct information to satisfy iTunes... maybe. You see, reverse engineering isn't much fun at all, and Apple really doesn't make it easy for us.

Old 4th October 2007, 17:57   #6
jmcbns

I'll try to rename my Control folder and see if that works, if not I'll just re-copy, not that big of a deal.

Do you know of a free Hex comparison program? Or a Hex editor that can output the Hex to a TXT file I could then use in a text comparison program? Might make things easier.
jmcbns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 18:07   #7
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I use "dd" of the free UnxTools (->SourceForge), for a hex dump, and then WinMerge for comparisons. But a real hex diff would be better. Anybody?

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion