Old 26th May 2008, 23:10   #1
WINGZERO619

NICECAST setup for MAC OSX LEOPARD

Is there a sure way on how to setup Nicecast using the Shoutcast server? Here's what I have so far:

I've gone through all the posts and haven't found a sure way on how to set this up. The closest setup I came to was one from the U.K. At the very end, the setup looked like it was for an older version of the operating system. Any insight to helping me get this setup would be greatly appreciated.
WINGZERO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 15:18   #2
Nick@ss

This might help.

http://forums.streamsolutions.co.uk/...ead.php?t=3410

Nicecast isnt really supported around these parts but as far as im aware rouge amoeba have taken their forums offline
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 01:04   #3
WINGZERO619

That's actually the post I was following... I stopped at the very end because I'm running OSX Leopard and this tutorial is referring to an older version. I'll see if I can work with it again. I do appreciate your time.
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:42   #4
WINGZERO619

OMG I finally got on to shoutcast's server! Man this was a beast to setup with Nicecast but it's finally done. I'm already streaming and got some listeners. For those of you who stream using MAC OSX Leopard using NiceCast... good luck! Send me a PM if you guys need help.
Old 27th August 2009, 00:41   #5
djmikespeed

Hi there,

Its driving me mad!!

I operate on OS X 10.5.8

I use iTunes,
to Nicecast,
I have the port 8000 open.
I'm using the Mac as a server currently.
The same set up as pictured above, with the pass word 'changeme'
I have edited 'sc_serv.conf' in Textedit, but are slightly unsure if I'm doing this correctly.
I have 'sc_serv' open in 'Terminal' (is this correct?)
I opened this before starting a Nicecast broadcast.

It says Establishing connection constantly.
And the Server Checker brings up:
Nicecast Server Check: Could Not Connect
The server could not be reached. Please check that it is running, then see the LAN Troubles page in the Nicecast manual or click Help for more details.

If I use my 'Built-In Server' it works and broadcasts.

I'm lost!

Cheers Mike
djmikespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 02:39   #6
fc*uk

how are you starting sc_serv. you need to open the terminal, navigate to the root directory of the binary from within the terminal, and type ./sc_serv config_name.conf
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 09:07   #7
djmikespeed

Thanks for your quick reply...

sorry but could you do me a step by step guide for the server (sc_serv_1.9.8_MacOSX) set up, I work on AppleMac's everyday but this is totally new to me using Terminal, and am I right in saying you set-up 'sc_serv.conf' in the 'TextEdit' application?

I'm sure my Nicecast is set correctly, it is the same as the images above. the only difference is I have 'changeme' as the password (as other posts on this forum).

Thanks
mike
Old 27th August 2009, 12:16   #8
fc*uk

Yes you are correct that you edit the config using macs TextEdit application.

You run sc_serv by going into your terminal and typing ./sc_serv config.conf where "config.conf" is the actual name of the config file you are using. You have to type this command from the root directory in which the binary resides. Suppose the user on your mac is djmikespeed and you have the binary in a SHOUTcast folder of djmikespeed's root user directory. The full path to sc_trans would then be /users/djmikespeed/SHOUTcast/. Therefore, you could startup the server by opening terminal and simply typing /users/djmikespeed/SHOUTcast/ ./sc_serv config.conf

As far as editing the config goes, you should only have to look at the first section of the dnas config. Unfortunately, I am at work and old age has set in so I can't remember what exactly you need to be looking for (it's been a while since I have actually edited a dnas config). I will looke when I get home and let you know.
Old 18th September 2009, 00:42   #9
djmikespeed

Thanks for your help on this 'fc*uk' but I'm about give it up as a bad job, confusing the hell out of me.

This is what I get in the 'Terminal' window!
Event log:
<09/18/09@00:36:57> [SHOUTcast] DNAS/MacOS_X v1.9.8 (Feb 28 2007) starting up...
<09/18/09@00:36:57> [main] pid: 890
<09/18/09@00:36:57> [main] loaded config from sc_serv.conf
<09/18/09@00:36:57> [main] initializing (usermax:32 portbase:8000)...
<09/18/09@00:36:57> [main] No ban file found (sc_serv.ban)
<09/18/09@00:36:57> [main] No rip file found (sc_serv.rip)
<09/18/09@00:36:57> [main] opening source socket
<09/18/09@00:36:57> [main] error opening source socket! FATAL ERROR! Some other process is using this port!
logout

[Process completed]

I'm lost, keep going back to it on a weekly basis, I read through the manual step by step, take in you info, and other 'threads' but no.

Help!
Old 18th September 2009, 01:18   #10
fc*uk

That error is an easy one to get sorted.

Go to Applications --> Utilities --> Activity Monitor

Under activity monitor, select "All Processes". Manually kill everything with a process name of "sc_serv".

This error is due to something else running on that port. Most of the time this is because you run sc_serv and stop by simply closing the terminal program. Unfortunately, this does not really work because sc_serv creates numerous daughter processes. When you close the terminal, you only kill one and the rest are still running.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:37   #11
WINGZERO619

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
how are you starting sc_serv. you need to open the terminal, navigate to the root directory of the binary from within the terminal, and type ./sc_serv config_name.conf
You don't even have to type in the commands. Simply drag and drop the two files into the terminal and hit enter. They have to be in sequential order:

1. sc_serv (unix executable file... the file that reads "sc_serv" with a gray box next to it)
2. Your sc_serv.conf file

Once you dragged and dropped those files, hit enter and it will start running in the terminal. The rest of the setup is basically getting your Nicecast and iTunes going.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:52   #12
fc*uk

hey, that's even better ... but I'm old skool
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support