Old 4th June 2008, 21:27   #1
Ed2000

Media Library Gone

Hi,

i'm using winamp 5.531. An hour ago, winamp was opened twice. Now my library is gone, and i can't find how to recover it.

here's how it went: winamp was playing music, just the good old ordinary playback. I opened a file which caused another window of winamp to appear. This window however, had an empty library. When i closed both winamps and restarted the app, my media library (and with it all my ratings) are gone.

How can I reload my library?

I found a plugin to import databases in XML format, but it s no use, since you need to export a database firist in xml format.

I noticed the file \plugins\ml\main.dat.n3w00000608 has changed since the crash, and i see some older main.dat.n3wxxxxx files in the folder.

Can i import these?
Ed2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 22:58   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

By "gone", do you mean the Local Media views look okay but are just empty, or do they not even appear properly and all you see is a grey background?

It should be just main.dat (i.e. the ML Local Media database files are main.dat & main.idx).

With Winamp closed, try renaming the newest main.dat.n3wxxxx file to just main.dat (make a backup of any existing main.dat file first).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 10:19   #3
Ed2000

By gone i mean that my local media is empty. It has no content and it asks to 'add media to local library' just like when you start winamp for the first time.

I tried your methode, I backupped my winamp folder, deleted main.dat and renamed the newest main.da.n3wxxxxx to main.dat but it didn't help.

Are there other ways to reimport a non-exported library?
Old 5th June 2008, 11:53   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, do you have any cleanup type apps running, e.g. Window Washer or Tracks Eraser, which might be deleting Winamp's configuration files (winamp.ini, gen_ml.ini, etc)?

If yes, then you will need to add Winamp to its exclusion list.

If the problem persists, please attach your "List of Plugins" and "HijackThis" logs:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

Was there main.dat and main.idx files still in your %appdata%\Winamp\Plugins\ml folder? What filesize were/are they?
Old 5th June 2008, 17:59   #5
Ed2000

The main.dat was some kb, and main.idx is 55 bytes.

Basicly, the main.dat file was emptied by what i believe is a bug of winamp itself.

I still have my playlists, my History, etc... but the main libary is gone.

Last edited by Ed2000; 5th June 2008 at 18:37.
Old 5th June 2008, 18:17   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

eek :-o

Although it's never happened to me, I do constantly keep making a backup of my "ml" folder, just incase.

Alas, I'm not sure if there's any way to retrieve it :-(
Old 19th August 2008, 16:45   #7
jiropole

Send a message via Yahoo to jiropole
Same trouble here

I just updated to the latest winamp (5.541 x86), and I totally lost my media library. On top of that, when I choose Add Media to Library, nothing happens. No dialog, nothing. And where are all my default options like Shoutcast radio?

Secondly, what the heck is up with this new portables window? I don't need this here, and there doesn't seem to be a checkbox for it when I right-click the frame. Overall this new winamp sucks for me. I have no idea what to try.

Jiro
jiropole is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support