Old 15th September 2008, 01:19   #1
DJ_Price

ReplayGain Data Not Saved - v5.541

I've just updated to the latest build & still noticed that the replaygain data is not saved after using the calculation. It was working in the previous version I was using, but I'm unsure which version I was using. I've had to download foobar2000 to calculate the replaygain values in that for the files I want to use. The files are he-aac, m4a files. I'm guessing this is possibly a bug still in v5.54*. I'm using WinXP SP3, along with DFX 8 audio plugin. Would be very greatful if someone could help me out on this so I can start using Winamp again for calculating replaygain values.
DJ_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 17:10   #2
uhesltj

Hmmm. I've calculated and saved replay gain for over 50 files using 5.541 without problems. Perhaps if you told us more about any symptoms you're seeing when you perform the replay gain calculations or when you save the files, we might get a better idea of the specific problem you're experiencing. For example: Might you be attempting to save files for which you do not have permission to write? Are you getting any error messages either on the screen or in the event log when you attempt a save?
uhesltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 17:47   #3
DJ_Price

I load the m4a file/s into winamp, calculate replaygain, it runs through & then shows the value for each file/s & then I save it, then open the file to check the data has been saved to the file, but it hasn't. I'm the computer admin, so have full permisson. As I said, it was working on an older version I was using. There are no error messages or no messages in the event log either. When 5.54 was released I updated to that, but had the same problem. So I downgraded to the previous version & was working again. I then waited until another version was released (5.541) & as you know, not working either.
Old 18th September 2008, 18:18   #4
uhesltj

Not sure. I just created some M4A files in Winamp 5.541. I was able to save the calculated replay gain values in them.

Did you create these M4A files with Winamp? Perhaps if you tell us how you created your files originally, we could recreate your problem on our machines.

Does this happen in all the files you try, or just some? I have seen instances where corrupt files, though they play correctly, CANNOT be saved with new metadata values (like replay gain, BPM, artist, title, Etc.). The newer versions of Winamp may be more picky about seeing correctly formatted M4A files.

Tom Hesley
Old 18th September 2008, 22:53   #5
DJ_Price

I used dBpoweramp to create the m4a files, which uses nero's aac encoder. I've been using it ever since I've been using m4a. I'm using version 13 of the program. The files that wouldn't save the replaygain values in winamp, save perfectly fine in foobar2000. The problem I'm having with winamp has happened with all the m4a files I've tried & I just tried an mp3 in winamp & the value saved fine. So it's something with m4a files, even though they worked fine in the previous version I was using & also work fine when I calculate the RG value in foobar2000.
Old 19th September 2008, 03:04   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You'll need to provide us with a sample file that we can use to reproduce the problem with, because at the moment, we can't reproduce it.

If you don't want to post the link here, send me a pm with a link or a request for an email address where you can send the sample m4a file.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 07:14   #7
DJ_Price

I'll PM you the link shortly DJ Egg. Thanks
Old 19th September 2008, 11:44   #8
uhesltj

You mght also try to use the Winamp Format Converter to create an M4A file yourself --- say, from a WAV file for example. Then, you could try and save Replay Gain in THAT file and see what happens. If the Winamp-produced M4A works, then there may be problems with the M4As that you produced outside of Winamp.

To get an M4A from Winamp's format converter, be sure to select the "MP4/aacPlus (HE-AAC) Encoder v1.28a" encoder.

Also, could you PM a link to me as well, to one of your files that's not working?

Tom Hesley
Old 19th September 2008, 14:39   #9
DJ_Price

PM with link sent. I tried converting a wave file in winamp & then calculating the RG value & it worked ok. So either winamp doesn't recognise Nero created m4a files anymore or theres actually a problem with the Nero encoder.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:32   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Thanks for the sample file. I can reproduce the problem.
We'll get it looked into and hopefully have it fixed for the next release.

By the way, it's not just RG values that aren't being written, I can't get it to save any metadata (Artist, Title, etc).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 19:47   #11
uhesltj

Okay, I've examined your m4a file. I see a few unusual things:

First, the first track header box (tkhd) has some values in it that I'm not accustomed to. It's version number in your file is 7. Winamp currently uses a version 1 track header.

Second, the format of the track header in your file appears significantly different than what Winamp expects -- creation and modification time fields along with the track number and type values are at different byte offsets than the version 1 track header.

Third, in the user data box (udta), there are sub boxes that are not normally used by Winamp. These include the "ndrm", "@too", "tags", and "chpl" boxes.

Winamp may not be handling the presence of these boxes correctly. If it doesn't utilize them in any way, then the MP4 standard says that it should ignore them -- that is, it should skip over them while processing M4A and MP4 files.

It's possible that Winamp was designed not to overwrite boxes that it does not recognize, in order to prevent data loss or corruption in the file. But the Winamp gurus will have to determine if this is okay to do.

Ideally, when writing such a file, Winamp should preserve any unrecognized boxes (rewrite them as they appear in the original file), and add any boxes that it needs to the files (in this case, the boxes for replay gain values). Clearly, this is not what is happening in your scenario. Winamp just seems to give up and write nothing.

Yes, you've discovered a bug I'd say -- or at the least, an issue of lacking robustness in Winamp. Hopefully, DJ Egg will be able address this in the next version.

Later,
Tom Hesley
Old 13th October 2008, 07:45   #12
Chris Diack

Replay Gain/mp3gain

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Thanks for the sample file. I can reproduce the problem.
We'll get it looked into and hopefully have it fixed for the next release.

By the way, it's not just RG values that aren't being written, I can't get it to save any metadata (Artist, Title, etc).
Hello team... In my quest for debugging replaygain/mp3gain problems, I wish to offer the following observations.

I had tagged a number of mp3 files with both ID3v1 and v2 information using mp3tagstudio.

I then used mp3gain to do it's thing and tidy up levels.

I then discovered that all my ID2v2 information had disappeared (unable to be read within Winamp 5.541 Aug 3, 2008 version)

Re-entering the information into Winamp via Playlist Editor allows me to tick the Include ID3v2 box, enter the information then click OK but the information didn't save, and the ID3v2 box went back to it's default grayed out position.

Tried "Copy to ID3v2" from ID3v1 box and still no joy.

Finally used the "Remove tags from files" setting in mp3gain in the hope that it would return the files (.mp3) to the status quo, and still Winamp will not read or save ID3v2 tags.

The curious thing is that BSI's Infoedit does read the ID3v2 tag information http://www.bsiusa.com/software/info_...nfo_editor.php

This doesn't necessarily mean that the problem lies within Winamp, but at this time it seems to be a Winamp problem.

Nothing I do within Winamp gives me back the option to read and modify information in the ID3v2 portion of the File Info editor in Winamp playlist. I'm using the bog standard Winamp Classic skin.

Last point, entering additonal information in "Basic Info" in Winamp's "Info Editor" makes no difference to the ID3v2 conumdrum either.

I hope I haven't screwed 7000 odd tracks (used on an LPFM commercial radio station)

Chris in New Zealand
Chris Diack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 23:38   #13
Chris Diack

Re: Replay Gain/mp3gain

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Diack
Hello team... In my quest for debugging replaygain/mp3gain problems, I wish to offer the following observations.

I had tagged a number of mp3 files with both ID3v1 and v2 information using mp3tagstudio.

I then used mp3gain to do it's thing and tidy up levels.

I then discovered that all my ID2v2 information had disappeared (unable to be read within Winamp 5.541 Aug 3, 2008 version).
Update

Whoa... I didn't check every possibility.

The ID3v2 tag switch in the input plugin had been switched off... how or why, I have no idea.

Now going to retrace some steps to see if I can reproduce this phenomenem.

This may well have been my fault, but again, I'm not sure how.
Chris Diack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports