Old 4th November 2008, 11:16   #1
ShadowHarlequin

Set Zero - The best from my first attemps

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shsetzerorr6.jpg - full image

theres quite alot of versions for some presets and sometimes you cant really tell the difference, i think its mainly becuse i keep saving under new names to not mess them up

id appreciate any feedback, i think these are the best out of the ones ive done so far, especially the Neon Tokyo Megamix and Bloom presets

also if someone could help me out, id like to know how to get the stars in bubblegum stars to move smoothly on the treb and mid

i did make all these listening to my friends tracks www.myspace.com/autyren so it might be better to listen to similar stuff to get the best responsiveness

lastly all remixes have original title in name etc, presets with - M - started as mashups

thanks very much guys, leave the names of your favourites if you cna please, take it easy

"human is the music, natural is the static..." - john updike
[Set Zero] [themilkFACTORY]

Last edited by ShadowHarlequin; 4th November 2008 at 13:52.
ShadowHarlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 12:13   #2
ShadowHarlequin

sorry to double post, heres the pack download
Attached Files
File Type: zip sh-setzero.zip (98.4 KB, 545 views)

Old 5th November 2008, 07:02   #3
ShadowHarlequin

compiled the pack into a pimpbot installer
you can download that file from here due to the filesize limit on the forums

http://shadowharlequin.deviantart.com/art/milkdrop-set-zero-102643440

//can an admin merge these posts please?

Old 5th November 2008, 07:31   #4
Phat
Major Dude

You might be waiting for a long time for a mod or admin to do something here. Just a heads up.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 16:07   #5
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
autyren - like it.

so... errors errors errors.
Most of the red+blue presets plus the bubblegum preset throw error messages. Despite that the red and blue presets are over-saturated to a white screen - not very cool if you ask me.
Furthermore if you upload mashes, be sure to give credit to every artist. I see bits of Code from Geiss and other familiar stuff, which is not obvious by the name.

there's one cool thing with the bloom mixes - i needed a while to realize that the "wave" at the bottom is in fact a line of motion vectors. funny hack

welcome to the Milkdrop board!
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 09:32   #6
ShadowHarlequin

glad you like it, he's probably going to have a couple of new tunes up there soon aswell which are his best so far, if you message him hell probably send over the mp3s

thanks for checking out the presets, the errors on most are because i turned off the error messages initially and spent ages adding little bits of code and changing others which created alot of errors i didnt notice, ill try to clean up all the code and get the file sizes smaller

how bright are the red and blue ones for you? im using a laptop and it looks alright, there is meant to be alot of white that gradually fades to the color but i think i changed my color settings too

ill have a look at creditting the mashups, only reason i didnt include them in the name i think is because it starts with a blank filename but ill definetly go back and find which they are, cheers for pointing that out

its a nice little effect that, kind of looks like an eq or something

thanks again! ill try to work on some more and fix up those others

Old 18th November 2008, 23:50   #7
Saint Goody

I've noticed that changing my monitor's color settings and brightness/contrast back to the defaults definitely changed the reactions I would get out of the finished product when I would share with friends.

I had the contrast up all the way and the brightness at around 75% for gaming, but that means that when I make a preset I'm usually seeing a brighter image than whoever else may be seeing it.

I am the purple heathen.
Saint Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 08:36   #8
ShadowHarlequin

yeah, are there any that look really different with different color settings?

i changed mine to make the black a nice solid color but they look just as good on my friends whos monitor is really dark, especially when viewing images

Old 20th November 2008, 19:43   #9
Cope

Some are a bit bright for my taste, but I like them. They're very active

About bubblegum stars, I've tweaked the movement some so it responds to the treb and mid better. I bound them to q variables in the preset's per frame code instead of using them in the wave per frame code directly, just habit. You can do it either way.

Also the presets with errors in the shaders will just ignore that shader until the error is fixed. Presets like the Red Blue ones. The warp shader is ignored completely because it's got an error. Overall just some cleaning up to do, some code that's not used in the shaders for instance.

Just a few constructive criticisms keep at it they're a very good start. I'm still learning too

Murphey's fighting Occam, and I'm in the stands.
Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 14:07   #10
ShadowHarlequin

thanks!

i mainly make them repond alot to the trebn and mid because im hoping to vj for my friend and the treb_Att and mid_att variables pick up the snare drums etc really well, especially on the fitting butterfly ones

i had a look at your version and thats pretty much what i wanted to get, great job! might have to add another star in there now :P
ill try and remember that about using variables, so you can keep all the main code in one section rather than all the seperate perframe bits for scopes etc

ill have alook at those ones with errors too, see what they look like with the errors removed and having the shaders working properly

thanks loads for the comments, ill be sure to check some of yours out

Old 21st November 2008, 16:06   #11
Saint Goody

Some tweaking

Alright, I'm not sure if this was the effect that you were going for when you made this particular set of presets, but this is what I got out of the code.

I fixed up the warp shader code, but didn't find the error in the Per-Frame code. I didn't look at all the others in this set, but you should be able to use the shader code in the rest of the Red & Blue presets.

I am the purple heathen.
Saint Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 23:06   #12
Cope

The y equation in shape 1's per frame code is missing a bracket at the end. Some tweaking so it's not so saturated:

Old 25th November 2008, 11:12   #13
ShadowHarlequin

//goody
thanks man, that looks lush now ill see how it affects the others, great job though

//cope
that looks great aswell is there an easy way to tone down the colors or change thebg from black to white?

Old 26th November 2008, 08:55   #14
Cope

Easiest way is to add ret = 1-ret; to the comp shader, to invert everything. Add it *after* the ret *= GetBlur2(uv); line.

For the colors you should probably change the r,g,b equations for the custom waves and in the preset's per frame code. Use a format like wave_r = 0.5 + 0.5*... this way the value of wave_r will always be between 0 and 1. If you want to tone it down even more do wave_r = 0.5 + 0.3*... this way the value can be no more than 0.8

Old 27th November 2008, 14:16   #15
ShadowHarlequin

thanks!

to limit the values do you mean use something like [x = 0.3 + 0.5 * (treb_att * 35);]?

Old 27th November 2008, 16:46   #16
Cope

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowHarlequin
thanks!

to limit the values do you mean use something like [x = 0.3 + 0.5 * (treb_att * 35);]?
More like x = 0.5 + 0.3*sin(treb_att*b) where b is a constant that controls how hard the preset will react to treb changes. It's important to use sin/cos because both are limited to a range of -1..1, which means no matter what you put inside the brackets of sin/cos it will always deliver a number between -1 and 1.

So what that equation really says to MD is "the new x value will be 0.5 plus some number in the range -0.3..0.3, which is derived from treb_att". This means x will always be in the range 0.2..0.8.

You can see it in action in the preset I attached. The red circle uses sin(treb_att) and it's limited very nicely. Green uses 0.2*treb_att and it's limited pretty nicely too, and is a little more reactive than red. Blue uses sin(treb_att*15) and is very chaotic because even the smallest change in treb_att leads to big changes in the sin function. Yellow is just crazy because it's hardly limited at all
Attached Files
File Type: milk limiting movement2.milk (4.7 KB, 549 views)

Last edited by Cope; 27th November 2008 at 17:04.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets