Old 24th December 2008, 03:55   #1
BBizzel6969

ipod touch and iphone

I have an i pod touch but it won't sync it with win amp... change it!
BBizzel6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 06:07   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Apple decided to not play well with others, and really closed up the iPhone and iPod Touch. So don't expect that to happen any time soon. (And blame Apple, not Nullsoft, they are the ones who don't play well with others).

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:02   #3
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Apple decided to not play well with others, and really closed up the iPhone and iPod Touch. So don't expect that to happen any time soon. (And blame Apple, not Nullsoft, they are the ones who don't play well with others thank will who is awesome all the time).
FTFY

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:35   #4
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
THANKS Will!
And extra points for creative editing and awesome revelations about what's to come!
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 23:41   #5
KuroishI

Quote:
Apple decided to not play well with others, and really closed up the iPhone and iPod Touch. So don't expect that to happen any time soon. (And blame Apple, not Nullsoft, they are the ones who don't play well with others).
That simply cannot be the case here. Has anyone checked out the newest release of Media Monkey? I have a 1g ipod touch with ver. 2.2 firmware and I can sync without any issues (album art and all). Looks like nullsoft is sitting on their thumbs with this issue.
KuroishI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 00:13   #6
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by KuroishI
That simply cannot be the case here. Has anyone checked out the newest release of Media Monkey? I have a 1g ipod touch with ver. 2.2 firmware and I can sync without any issues (album art and all). Looks like nullsoft is sitting on their thumbs with this issue.
Actually it is the case. Since you are a Media Monkey user I am sure that you know that you MUST have itunes installed on your computer for MM to allow you to do the syncing. This is because MediaMonkey requires iTunes files to work. Will has just announced that Winamp will soon have the ability to not have iTunes installed and still manage your ipod Touch or iPhone.

And I think that you know where you can put your thumbs...
Old 6th January 2009, 03:28   #7
nathan_h

Quote:
Originally posted by Juanus
Will has just announced that Winamp will soon have the ability to not have iTunes installed and still manage your ipod Touch or iPhone.
Great news. Any pointer to where it was announced? ie, is there a thread I should be following to know when the enhancement is released?

Quote:

Ha ha ha ha.
nathan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 04:21   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan_h
Great news. Any pointer to where it was announced?
In Will's "FTFY" post above

FTFY = Fixed that for you
Will = The Winamp PMP plugin coder.

Too late for 5.55 though, maybe for 5.56... we shall see :-)

[Edit 2012]

Alas, Will is no longer part of the team, and Apple closed the code even more, so this never happened and probably never will.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 06:05   #9
nathan_h

Nice! I didn't pick up on those subtleties. But I appreciate you explaining them.

And: Now I don't feel like such a fool for ripping my CDs to flac.... I used to use Wimamp to convert them to high bitrate MP3 on the fly, when moving songs to my ipod. But I had to stop that (temporarily) when I got the iTouch. Looks like I'll be back in business soon.

That is WAY cool. I'll be watching the plug ins list for when it's available.
Old 6th January 2009, 21:55   #10
MrJSmith

This is good news, my patience with Itunes has finally reached its end and I was looking to Winamp for the solution.
MrJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 14:54   #11
jacj99

Quote:
Actually it is the case. Since you are a Media Monkey user I am sure that you know that you MUST have itunes installed on your computer for MM to allow you to do the syncing. This is because MediaMonkey requires iTunes files to work. Will has just announced that Winamp will soon have the ability to not have iTunes installed and still manage your ipod Touch or iPhone.

EXCELLENT!!
jacj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 16:15   #12
stuckinasquare3

Hey all. On the mlipod sourceforge website it says "NEW: 3.07p06 is the first patch that should support FW 2.x even without a jailbreak. Please test it!". Well I downloaded 3.07 (i don't know if its p06 or not) and it does not work. It says that write access won't work on FW 2.x and to enable write access you have to have 1.1.x so I click no but then I can't put songs on my ipod touch.
stuckinasquare3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 16:21   #13
stuckinasquare3

nvm found the new download
stuckinasquare3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 21:18   #14
nathan_h

So you found and downloaded the latest version of WinAmp plug in mlipod and you can load songs onto your iPod Touch with firmware 2.2?
Old 11th January 2009, 22:27   #15
Juanus
Major Dude

yeah, if you want to use ml_ipod, just go here.
http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=69

Understand that this is a third party plugin and is different than the ipod support that comes built into winamp. The official ipod support for this should be coming in the next version of winamp which should be soon. (i hope)
Old 11th January 2009, 22:55   #16
nathan_h

Cool. I'll give it a try.

Update: Winamp can see the ipod Touch but cannot transfer songs. A window pops open for a minute, but then closes and nothing gets moved over. (This is with the Winamp ipod dll removed, and with iTunes closed, on a gen 1 Touch with firmware 2.2.)

Last edited by nathan_h; 11th January 2009 at 23:32.
Old 12th January 2009, 03:49   #17
Juanus
Major Dude

Report it to the people on that forum... maybe they can help you. Or you can just wait till the next Winamp version comes out and see if the problem is addressed/works better with the native pmp_ipod
Old 15th January 2009, 10:44   #18
SamW

Quote:
Originally posted by jacj99
EXCELLENT!!
That would be great indeed, can't wait!
SamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 04:29   #19
nathan_h

alas ml_ipod makes it impossible to ALSO use iTunes. The database is no longer compatible, so I've pulled it out of my setup, and reinstalled win amp, and will manually convert files from flac, for now, until my beloved winamp has native support for the ipod touch.
Old 20th March 2009, 05:07   #20
nathan_h

Checking back in to see what's new with this topic. Looks awfully quiet.

I started putting photos onto my Touch via (evil) iTunes, and noticed that my Vista machine now thinks the Touch is a removable storage device (opens up in explorer) like some kind of disc mode is enabled... though I cannot copy anything to it EXCEPT what iTunes lets me (very little).
Old 16th June 2009, 06:05   #21
Ruxton

Send a message via ICQ to Ruxton Send a message via AIM to Ruxton
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....78#post2531578 for some half-info re: pmp_ipod and iphone
Ruxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 20:15   #22
tycho1974

So my girlfriend has an old iPod touch, which had firmware 1.1something on it. Used winamp to transfer songs - worked great. Then she wanted some apps on it. So we had to update to the latest 3.0whatever firmware for the touch, and now when I sync songs from winamp, it goes through the whole rigamarole of progress bars and hours of data transfer. Unfortunately, when it's all said and done, the music doesn't show up on the iPod. It says it's empty; when I plug it in and open winamp, winamp shows the songs as being there.

Any thoughts?
tycho1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:00   #23
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
This quote has never been truer than now. Just when everyone was getting their software to work on version 2, Apple releases version 3 and now no ones programs work with ipod touch or iphones anymore. Abu (the ml_ipod maintainer) has just given up. Can will get it working in the next version of pmp_ipod? Who knows! currently, I dont think there is anything outside of itunes that is working with this new 3.0 software of apples.

I bought a Palm Pre and out of the box it was syncing with iTunes and now it seems apple didnt like that so they are releasing new protections to block that. I am never buying another apple product, that's for sure.
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:15   #24
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

From the beginning of time (Adam and Eve) apples have been evil. When will people learn?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:43   #25
homes32

[Perfect Duke Nukem Voice]
Damn. Those Apple bastards are gonna pay for messin' up my pod.
[/voice]

why am I not surprised? With iTunes getting worse with each release its no wonder they need to pull crap like this to get people to use it.

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 22:18   #26
HardcoreHowie

updates??

Hi, its 2012. Has any of this changed at all??? Will? anyoooooone?!
HardcoreHowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:51   #27
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Apple are still a closed shop and nothing can (legally) be done to change this. People who use iProducts must use iTunes so that they can also be forced into the iShop to iSpend.

Yes - it is annoying if you have an iPod\iPhone\etc - but it is also a good excuse to go and buy a better product from a competitor.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 16:53   #28
thehobster

iPhone 4 Winamp and itunes 10

I am trying to connect my iphone 4 to winamp but it crashes before even it loads with the iphone connected or crashes immediately I connect the iphone.
The iphone is recognised by itunes.
Anyone have any ideas?
Running Windows XP
thehobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 16:57   #29
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

iPhone 4 is not going to work with Winamp. Talk to Apple. They only want you using iTunes. Welcome to Apple's world of locked in software.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist