Old 2nd September 2001, 14:12   #1
Cozzer

Send a message via ICQ to Cozzer
International Characters

I've had the same problem with every version of Winamp I've used, I'm currently using v2.76 (And tried the beta of v3) and under Win2K I am unable to use international characters either in the actual filename of the MP3 or the Description in the ID3 tag.

Just in case you're wondering which keyboard I'm trying to use it's Greek, and I'm using the NTFS filesystem.

Everything else works great (Tested exhaustitively)
Cozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2001, 00:31   #2
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Winamp supports the use of international fonts, of course . Winamp's internal bitmap font is only English / American, and does not include any international characters.

In order to enable international font support in Winamp, do the following: First off, open Winamp . Then press both the CTRL and P - keys simultaneously to bring up the Winamp preferences window. Now you should go to Options -> Display -> uncheck Use bitmap font for main title display. That option applies to both the main title display in the main window, as well as to the playlist.

That should do the trick . Now Winamp supports the language of your operating system you have installed.

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2001, 11:26   #3
Cozzer

Bitmap font.

I'd already done that, the language of my operating system is English.

But if I can type in Greek, surely Winamp should support it?

If it doesn't, why not?
Old 4th September 2001, 23:02   #4
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Uh, in that case, you should install Greek-language support for your Windows. It should be located on your Windows install CD-ROM, so do the following to install Greek-language support:

First, go to your computer's Control Panel. Doubleclick on Software. There you should click on the Windows Setup - tab. In the list appearing, doubleclick on Language Support. A new window should come up, displaying the available languages your operating system supports. There should be an entry called Greek - Checkmark that one and close the windows by selecting the OK - buttons. Now Windows should prompt to insert the installation CD in order to install the neccessary files onto your computer. After it's done, reboot your machine to be on the safe side .

That should do the trick . If not then post here, please.

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2001, 22:41   #5
shehzadashiq

Hello Everyone

Here is my guide to getting greek (or for that matter any other language!) fonts enabled in Winamp's Playlist if you are having problems (i.e text is being displayed as gibberish!) and changing your regional settings to that locale is not working

1) Download the Tixoft Font Plug II plugin for winamp from

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/detail...mponentId=9471

and install it.

2) Download an appropriate font for your language and install it. If you are using greek download the fonts from

http://www.in.gr/grfonts/grfonts.htm

I personally use the Times New Roman Greek font from there but you can use anyone you want to

If you do not know how to install fonts in your system look at the following website for windows systems

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ttfinst/ttfinst.htm

or macintosh systems

http://www.design.iastate.edu/LABS/t...onttip001.html
or
http://www.yale.edu/macguide/Procedures/Fonts.html

3) Right-Click in the main window and from the button of the menu choose

Configure Tixoft Font Plug II

4) In the new window that appears click on Setup and then make sure the check box that says

"Enable Font Plug for playlist text(win 9x Only)"

is checked

5) Click on Setup->Fonts

and choose the font you want to display the text in

6) If all is well everything should appear as you want

Optional Step:
If you would like to convert the ID3 tags from the Greek Codepage (CP-1253 for example) to unicode you can use the following utility "Character Set Converter 1.01". Download it from

http://www.fingertipsoft.com/csconv/index.html

At the moment it only supports western layouts but it can also be programmed to use other character sets/codepages.

Hopefully this will help people out there. In case of any queries do not hesitate to e-mail me at:

shehzadashiq@hotmail.com

As I am not greek please e-mail me in English if you need any assistance. Bye for now

Shehzad
shehzadashiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2001, 22:56   #6
fungo

Playlists

All these suggestions for enabling international characters look extremely cumbersome and disruptive to Windows. And I'm not sure they address the most important issue: playlists that include filenames with international characters currently DO NOT WORK!

I'm trying to play some French music, and I have the option of renaming all the files to less-correct spellings, or loading each file manually.

I am NOT French, nor do I wish to totally reconfigure Windows. It seems to me that WinAmp needs to deal gracefully with all possible valid FAT/NTFS filenames -- WITHOUT assuming that the listener wants to rebuild their OS.

If there's already some way to enable this, I'd love to hear about it!

......... fungo.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2001, 23:06   #7
shehzadashiq

Fungo can you please expand on the point you made

Quote:
And I'm not sure they address the most important issue: playlists that include filenames with international characters currently DO NOT WORK!
Is winamp simply refusing to play the files no matter how you add them to the playlist (e.g Drag and Drop?). I don't know much about the area but I would like to try and help so please do tell me a bit more if you don't mind. Thanks.
Old 1st October 2001, 23:14   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

And besides, I wouldn't exactly class the adding of one extra Winamp plugin and one or two Windows Fonts as a complete reconfiguration of Windows.
What could be a simpler fix than that?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2001, 17:08   #9
Cozzer

International Characters in Windows 2000 (Filename and ID3)

A plug-in is not required to fix this under Windows 2000.

I have Greek characters in both filenames and ID3 tags on my machine, working fine under Windows 2000.

What you need to do is this:

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Regional Options

Make sure your locale is set to your normal home, then in the Language Settings for the System box, make sure that the Language you wish to support is checked. Click Apply.

Select the language again, and this time click set default. This enables both international characters for that language in filenames and any input box on the machine.

To add the international keyboard for that language, click the Input Locales tab, then click add. In the Input Locale tab, select the language you wish to support, then in the Keyboard Layout box select the character set you wish to use. Click OK, then OK again.

Probably a few re-starts have happened by now.

Then use Alt-Shift to switch Input locales.

Cheers dudes.
Old 2nd October 2001, 20:54   #10
deejay_dude

hi guys, does anybody know where to download Chinese and Japanese fonts for windows? It's good to know that there's the plug-in - but if we do not even have access to the fonts with which to display, even the best plug-in in the world will not be able to make a difference.

That said, can somebody recommend a good place from which to get our fonts? I've tried searching on microsoft.com itself - but came up with nothing.
deejay_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2001, 21:54   #11
shehzadashiq

deejay_dude visit the following URL and you shall find all you need

http://people.netscape.com/ftang/communicatorfont.html

BTW use google for searching in future it's waaay waay better
Thanks for the help Cozzer But I have win9x so I can't use your fix but I wish I could
Old 3rd October 2001, 18:27   #12
deejay_dude

thanks for the help - i tried that page, but no luck on the fonts...

i did however manage to get my fonts from elsewhere. However, i still can't get winamp to display properly! What gives?

does it matter that i'm using english windows? do i need to change code pages or something, and if so, how?

pls help..
Old 3rd October 2001, 19:24   #13
shehzadashiq

I think you need to use another winamp skin basically anything apart from the default winamp skin will do. Search on the winamp site for a skin yuo will like.

http://www.winamp.com/skins/

Change the skin and it should work. Fingers crossed
If this doesn't work please tell me.
Old 4th October 2001, 02:09   #14
deejay_dude

well i'm sorry - but it doesn't...
Old 4th October 2001, 02:36   #15
shehzadashiq

Deejay_dude could you please tell me what version of windows you are using e.g 95/98/ME etc?
I am not quite sure but I think you need to download extra language support because by default win98 only provides western languages support

Look at the following URL's as well
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/u...ug/ie5intl.asp
http://www.chinese-software.com/ (Eek Money invloved )
http://maxweber.hunter.cuny.edu/soci...er-support.htm
http://www.njstar.com/ (Best Bet)

P.s: Also e-mail me if you can.
Old 4th October 2001, 04:28   #16
deejay_dude

well i believe you've disabled your emailing option under this forum - so i can't reach you there. You'll have to email me first..

but that issue aside, thanks for really going out of your way to help. I am using win98(SE)
Old 4th October 2001, 04:33   #17
deejay_dude

(more details about what i've done so far)

i've downloaded the fonts, installed them, removed the bitmap font option for winamp, downloaded and installed the plug-in, and enabled the font display for the plug-in... but still no luck!
Old 11th October 2001, 23:27   #18
fungo

Quote:
Originally posted by shehzadashiq
Fungo can you please expand on the point you made

Is winamp simply refusing to play the files no matter how you add them to the playlist (e.g Drag and Drop?). I don't know much about the area but I would like to try and help so please do tell me a bit more if you don't mind. Thanks.
WinAmp seems to skip messages in the list. Not all the messages. I've already renamed all the files, so I can't recheck the behavior, but it seems like it was skipping all the files that had accented characters.

Reconfiguring Windows should not be required. Obviously, these filenames display correctly on my current configuration -- so why shouldn't WinAmp deal with them? In fact, why should WinAmp care what characters I'm using, as long as they're valid in a filename??

................ Fungo.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2002, 18:49   #19
chemao

veritably disruptive winamp behaviour

[[[ read my speech, or skip to next paragraph for my problem ]]]

i absolutely despise windows media player. it's huge, ugly, and slow as hell. not to mention it employs microsofts very buggy coding and crashes on a regular basis. i have always loved winamp, all the way back from the beginning, years and years ago. i dont use a lot of skins, and i dont really care about the plug-ins. what has made winamp so wonderful for me is that it is a definitive example of coding at its greatest. why the F!@# should i have to install a 10+MB (compressed!?) media player when i can install a 500K winamp that supports nearly all the features (minus some stupid crap like autoupdating), runs reliably (winamp has NEVER crashed on me. not ONCE!), and provides support for a wealth of skins and plug-ins that only serve to make it better!? back in the day, i was one of the likely many people that actually sent in funds to support the development of winamp, with a promise of free upgrades and technical support. up to this day, i have never needed support, thanks to the nearly flawless design and function of winamp. this has been the case for many years. only once have i had issues, with problematic track jitter. turns out, it was an OS-specific problem. reloading windows corrected itself. interestingly enough, media player didnt suffer the skipping, but EVERY other media player i had installed did. sonique, winamp, and some divx progs all did... microsoft bully a$$ tactics? me think so. after reloading, i now refuse to install media player, no matter how hard microsoft keeps trying to push it on me, through recommending it on web pages, starting the download, etc) no media player = no problems for everything else... why am i not surprised? F!@# microsoft <o.O>;; now on to my problem. i HOPE there is a fix in the works.

i am american. i studied overseas. i have an asian wife. i speak english, mandarin chinese, vietnamese, and spanish. she speaks english, taiwanese, mandarin chinese, and japanese. we have a huge collection of music in all of these languages. these are almost all rips from CDs which we own, and that means that for the most part, the names were accessible on cddb, and encoded into the mp3 filename. i have found that when winamp comes across a filename which is intended as encoded format (ex big5 for chinese), winamp just pukes and skips the file. if i open my chinese viewing program, it magically works again (read: plays the files). between the various languages we speak, our variety of music spans several languages. the problem arises when we want to play a mix of different languages. if we have the chinese viewing prog open, only chinese and english filenames work. if we have the japanese viewing prog open, only japanese and english filenames work. the filenames, despite being in ASCII format, are still readable. why can't winamp play them? it shouldn't matter if the filename is a12e or Ä12Æ, since these are both valid filenames. other mp3 players are able to play these songs, even if the font is not displayed correctly. however, i want to continue using winamp instead of those wretched imitations. please help me.

long time supporter,
chemao
chemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports