Old 30th May 2002, 07:00   #1
king_pariah

WMA not working after a fresh xp install

I reinstalled XP pro, got all the latest updates, and then freshly installed winamp 2.80. Now, when i try to play some of my old wma files, an IE browser window immediately opens, and i get sent to a microsoft download site for no apparent reason. I am aware that this is probably a (intentional) microsoft attempt to get users to switch over to the WIMP, but If anyone can help me fix this is any way it would be great. I installed the FULL version of winamp 2.80, and set any media defaults that i could find to open up with winamp.
king_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2002, 07:09   #2
king_pariah

Figured out WMA problem!

When i formatted my drives, i made backups of my old WMA files. When i reinstalled my system, the file permits that XP makes you have were gone! FUCK MICROSHIT FOR NOT LETTING ME HEAR MY OWN DAMNED CDS THAT I BURNED ONTO MY OWN HARDDRIVE!
king_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2002, 07:21   #3
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

one of the reasons why you should NOT use WMA

you will find that the files won't play in winamp or WiMP

theirs nothing we can do... WMA is a protected format (which means you can't share it)

unless you saved all your old profiles and incorporate them into windows again... then you can't bring back the files

use .mp3 or .ogg next time

http://www.cdex.n3.net

btw this is a Winamp version 3 forum that you posted in
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2002, 10:49   #4
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
If you are encoding to WMA in the future (which you shouldn't - its a shit format), either turn off "enable digital rights management" in the Options, or backup C:\Windows(or winnt)\All Users\DRM - this is where the licenses are stored. If you are using a multi-user machine, they'll be in c:\windows(or winnt)\profiles\username\drm.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2002, 11:58   #5
kinson

Send a message via ICQ to kinson Send a message via AIM to kinson
Urmm...when you first come into this forum, it IS winamp 3...but when you come into this topic...well, at the top it says winamp2....just FYI

kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2002, 12:14   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

That's because this thread was originally posted in the WA3 Tech forum, and a moderator moved it to WA2 Tech forum.
If you look carefully on the WA3 Tech forum main page, you'll see it says "Moved" next to this thread... which is why it points here instead
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2002, 12:17   #7
peter
ist death

gotta love people who resurrect old threads just to show others that they cant read.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2002, 18:59   #8
kot

WMA isn't protected format

WMA isn't protected format. When you ripping your audio CDs in Windows Media Player it will be protected because WMP set "Protect content" flag. You can set it to off in WMP Options and everything will be good.
kot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2002, 19:09   #9
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
It's still a shit format compared to mp3 or ogg.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2002, 19:20   #10
kot

I don't think so. Look at this article http://www.litexmedia.com/article/result.html
Old 7th June 2002, 19:27   #11
peter
ist death

dig your knowledge here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/
the problem is, that the "protection flag" is enabled by default and many people use it without being aware of what happens behind their backs.
Old 7th June 2002, 19:36   #12
kot

BTW ripping audio CDs in WMP is stupid. But WMA format isn't bad because some novices can't find this "protection flag".

ps. I read so many comparison articles so I can't decide wich format is better.
Old 7th June 2002, 19:49   #13
peter
ist death

look. when we say "shit format", we don't mean the quality. we don't even bother touching WMA; when we want to ensure high quality of our rips, we go with well-tested formats/settings like MPC, LAME --alt-preset-standard or Vorbis -q6. and - yes, bitrate might get 200kbps-ish, but that's not a problem in the age of cheap 40gig hdds and cdrw drivers in almost every new computer.
we don't mean the protection neither, because most of us here know how to turn it off (but not all of people in the world do, that's why you are reading this thread).
WMA has two major problems:
1. no freely available decoder source. you can't make your own WMA player from scratch. you are forced to use microsoft's libraries (afaik, they are available on windows and on mac platforms only). if they decide to screw with you (via windowsupdate for an example), noone can help you (oh well, you can always reinstall windows. blah).
2. shit licensing. see threads about using custom output plugins / dsp plugins / converting WMA to other formats for more info.
Old 20th July 2002, 18:53   #14
larrysopus

Location: HAWTHORNE, CA....'some "Oakie" place for an L.A. suburb; a CA native (me) & former San Franciscan. Hawthorne 'claime-to-fame'=was home of the "Beach Boys"!
WMA "D.R.M." - Digital Rights Mgr.

[EMAIL=larrysopus@hotmail.com]
Posted: July 20'02 RE: Response to Tech.~Help{common probs.}for my SUBJECT: "WMA 'D.R.M.' - Digital Rights Mgr."

I'm NEW @ this; I'm replying essentially to comments of 2-users who's problems are precisely same as my trouble. Kindly note: I LOVE the WINAMP [FREE] PRODUCT! & have some VERY SPECIAL favorites amongst the Winamp staff /w re: their "AVS"~Visualizations (albeit, they're listed as earlier innovations or inventions?); vis., JUSTIN, MARKO, ELVIS--didn't intend "this" as a buttering-up(but who would mind?). They have afforded me (literally=$:wise) MANY HOURS OF ERNORMOUS PLEASURE. If those guys don't see this tribute to them here, would 1 of you more experienced' forward it to them--I'm old, & I talk to much!
Meanwhile; the 2 users' expressing better than I my reason for checking into this forum today are: 1)"kenny_pariah"; 2)"ethan_h". Their comments = "..You just CAN'T do anything about WMA~DRM encoded files excepting some info. about deleting WMPlayer's DRMgr. + be certain to delete it from '\Wins... \Users \Prefs.(etc.)\%DRM%'"; in which case I KNOW from experience ~ GATES' make my whole music system(s) CRASH; Jee's!

ESPECIALLY IMPT. TO ME = X-plaining to U WHY, NOW; this problema?... I've begun TRIAL MEMBERSHIP TO "PRESS-PLAY" a $10, monthly, subscription music server [@ "YAHOO"] who ONLY DOWNLOADS PAID FOR MUSIC IN "WMA" FILE FORMAT!.. SO YOU CAN'T COPY IT, TRANSFER IT, BURN IT.. without their permission & further use of "credits" [whatever..it's all very "legal, schmigal"]; BAH, HUMBUG, RATS-! When I start /w the "!'s"; can quickly get otta' control, so I'll stop. PRESS-PLAY is 1 of the burgeoning markets for (including very lucrative/EXPENSIVE DVD-Streaming; also /w unconscienable restrictions to "REALLY" downloading & keeping them after YOU'VE PAID!) for providing @ "reasonable" fees alternatives to the very sad legally imposed demise of "NAPSTER", et. al. Anyway, if anyone will answer me here or more easily @ "larrysopus@hotmail.com", I've a feeling you might tell me I'm crazy not to know/take advantage of other numerous sharing programs like "BEARSHARE", which was fantastic for a month, after which they said "YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE LATEST BROWSER UPDATE TO CONT." ...after which it TOTALLY STOPPED DOWNLOADING FABULOUS & ABUNDANTLY FREE MP3's TO ME. Nevertheless it cont's to SEARCH MY INTERNAL FILES!.??... any comments, here as well? Already noticed "BEARSHARE" now has a deluxe model for which they CHARGE--maybe that's it; eH? I'd best stop now until I know a bit more how this "takes". Maybe ask me specific questions to help me better FOCUS (1-symptom of a serious nervous disability I'll TRY not to mention again).
....& THANX!... for any HELP/ATTN.. this may bring me; CERTAINLY "FRUSTRATION" is NO STRANGER TO THESE PAGES(I can see); Bye,
LARRY/"larrysopus".
larrysopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2002, 10:52   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

FreeMe (DRM Hack)
http://www.google.com/search?num=100...=Google+Search

Unfuck WMA
http://www.google.com/search?num=100...1&q=Unfuck+WMA

File Sharing Programs (eg. Try WinMX)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=64964
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2002, 10:50   #16
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

there is a program called "unfuck" that gets rid of the copyright protection of windows media audio. it saves the new files to C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\ so look there for them and delete the originals. or back them up whatever.

link
http://members.home.nl/icq99/unfuck/index2.htm
use with discression

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2003, 05:28   #17
joemck

How to convert from WMA to another format!

Here's a very simple way to convert those WMA files to a different format (like OGG or MP3).
Simply connect an audio cable (like those used to connect most speakers to PC's) from the line out (or speaker out) to the line in (or mic, but turn off any gain features) on your sound card. Set Line In (or Mic) to the default recording source (in Volume Control). Now, set one program to record, and another to play the WMA file. Then trim silence from the ends of the recording and encode. (This may lose a tiny bit of quality, but it won't be noticible after it's been in that low-bitrate format.)

No matter what kind of protection Microsoft manages to put on a sound file, this method will never fail, as long as you can play the file. (You can use this same thing to get around CD copy protections that won't let you play the disc in a computer: Use the cable to connect a CD player that will play it to the computer, which records the audio, then burns it to a disc which you can play in the equipment of your choice.) (Or just return the CD and say it won't play. Hey, it's the truth - you try to play it and can't.)
joemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2003, 11:04   #18
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Re: How to convert from WMA to another format!

Quote:
Originally posted by joemck
Here's a very simple way to convert those WMA files to a different format (like OGG or MP3).
Simply connect an audio cable (like those used to connect most speakers to PC's) from the line out (or speaker out) to the line in (or mic, but turn off any gain features) on your sound card. Set Line In (or Mic) to the default recording source (in Volume Control). Now, set one program to record, and another to play the WMA file. Then trim silence from the ends of the recording and encode. (This may lose a tiny bit of quality, but it won't be noticible after it's been in that low-bitrate format.)
While possible I dont recomend it. Huge loss in audio quality. If you do that please dont be a bitch and share that file on a P2P network so that it can propagate.

There is a program out there (some where i dunno where) called "Unfuck" that removes the copyright protections on WMA files. Search google for it.

I'm Back?
Old 27th December 2003, 14:29   #19
mikeinmtl

Converting those WMA files

There`s a great free (no spyware/adware/nags) program at http://www.dbpoweramp.com called dbpoweramp Music Converter. I use it to easily convert those files to mp3 whenever I get one. Sorry, but not sure how this affects the DRM thing? Maybe someone here knows. Is it still "protected"?
mikeinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2003, 01:23   #20
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

i found this program somewhere, probably here, called unfuck that takes your drm wma files and turns them into non-drm wma files. not a very well made program though. you can find your new wma files at this location "C:\Windows\Desktop" even if you have profiles or winxp or something.

I'm Back?
Old 12th June 2004, 00:10   #21
SirRoger

If you don't mind writing a new cd with windows media player, then you can wrip it with winamp 3. I did that with protected music from wallmart.com (really, I don't buy music from there, but there was a song an artist didand was not put on her cd and they put it there)

but that is if you have a library of that music, and wmp can play it. Will wmp play it for you?
SirRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support