Old 4th February 2014, 01:30   #1
aaronsnet

Send a message via AIM to aaronsnet
Loudcity shutting down Feb. 28 (maybe not now...?)

Terrible news for small internet broadcasters!!

Quote:
Hello Broadcasters,

It's with a heavy heart we tell you that LoudCity will be closing down on Feb 28. After several years the team has decided to move on to other opportunities.

No new service fees will be charged to any broadcaster as of tomorrow, February 4th. If you were charged a service fee on February 1 to February 3, 2014, you will receive a refund for the unused balance of your account for March 1st, 2nd or 3rd, as the case may be. Refunds will be issued to you in March.

It's truly been a pleasure serving all of you. We hope you will continue your craft with other services. We wish you the best of luck in whatever your next step may be.

Signing off,
LoudCity

the detour network - detour MUSIC, detour TALK, detour BLUES, SOF Radio

Purple Zebra Media Services-http://purplezebra.us
Supporting independent, licensed internet radio stations since 2001!
aaronsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 04:28   #2
Atnevon

Send a message via ICQ to Atnevon Send a message via AIM to Atnevon Send a message via Yahoo to Atnevon
Unfortunately, I just received one of these emails as well. I'm curious what alternatives are still left out there for this? Any recommendations?
Atnevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 04:35   #3
aaronsnet

Send a message via AIM to aaronsnet
StreamLicensing.com is the only other alternative I have found. You could always try L365 but that can drive you nuts.

I have been with LC since 2004 and can't believe they are shutting down! They seem to have many many stations still using their services. Perhaps the bureaucracy got to be to much. Who knows!

the detour network - detour MUSIC, detour TALK, detour BLUES, SOF Radio

Purple Zebra Media Services-http://purplezebra.us
Supporting independent, licensed internet radio stations since 2001!
aaronsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 14:51   #4
Atnevon

Send a message via ICQ to Atnevon Send a message via AIM to Atnevon Send a message via Yahoo to Atnevon
On the good news front - I just put a call into Brad Prendergast at SoundExchange, and I was able to verify that there aren't any outstanding issues with StreamLicensing.com. (Brad is the one that contacted all the SWCast members a while back when that site was shut down, for those curious.)
Old 4th February 2014, 20:04   #5
fiztop

Loud City Station Cancelled Quicky!

It also looks like when your payment date becomes due -- mine should have been today -- they cancelled my paypal payment arrangement and then I received an email from Loud City that said:

We have an update for you on your iTunes Listing status. Details below...

iTunes Server Removed - Searching for replacement

Best Wishes,

LoudCity

So I went to loudcity.com and found my station was deleted. So I had overnight to find a solution and not through February 28th as their prior email stated.
fiztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 02:09   #6
CyberFM

Yes,

They cancelled our subscription today and TURNED US OFF.

There is definitely some shenanigans going on and this is certainly NOT a typical "Going out of business"

We were down for a short time AND illegal for a short time, with NO WARNING.
CyberFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 12:20   #7
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Nah, no shenanigans, just a guy ready to move on.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 14:01   #8
JE JaggedEdge

Send a message via ICQ to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via AIM to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via Yahoo to JE JaggedEdge
Well, I can certainly understand from a business perspective being ready to just move on. But there is a way, a reputable company would handle something like that. And not leave a bad taste in the mouths of its users. Just in case down the line, you need to return to that business model that made you popular. Who knows. In silence, there is always some things left unsaid. There is a reason for everything. The truth will come out when he is ready to talk about it.

.::.(())::. Urban Hitz Radio™ USA .::.(())::. The People' Choice for Hip-Hop & R&B!
Listen to Urban Hitz Radio - GET A Local or TOLL-FREE Request Line NOW...Only $2 Monthly
Request Line: 1-855 588-6767
JE JaggedEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 21:11   #9
Bryon Stout

waiting for voodoohippie to post his crazy tin foil hat rant.
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 01:31   #10
dotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiztop View Post
So I went to loudcity.com and found my station was deleted. So I had overnight to find a solution and not through February 28th as their prior email stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFM View Post
They cancelled our subscription today and TURNED US OFF.
That was poorly handled. It's no secret I've been working with LoudCity in a support capacity for many years, and in my opinion the shut-down message could have spelled out that services end when the current subscription ends. Some stations will have until the end of the month. Yours didn't, and what happened to you shouldn't have happened so suddenly. Nobody should have the rug pulled out like that.

I know saying this doesn't fix things, but I just thought you both should know that I don't think it was supposed to go down the way it did for you.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 20:14   #11
odogg

It is weird to me that they shut down so suddenly. It makes me wonder if they had to shut down rather than choose to shut down for some undisclosed reason. Remember what happened with SWCast...?

Odogg
Dogglounge Internet Radio
Streaming Deep House Music 24/7
www.dogglounge.com
odogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 20:19   #12
Atnevon

Quote:
Originally Posted by odogg View Post
It is weird to me that they shut down so suddenly. It makes me wonder if they had to shut down rather than choose to shut down for some undisclosed reason. Remember what happened with SWCast...?
This has been addressed elsewhere, and while we don't have any specific details, it seems fairly clear that this was more of a personal decision than one due to industry pressure. At least that's what I gather.

I put a call into SoundExchange when I first got the email from LoudCity, and they confirmed that LoudCity is in good standing with them.
Old 7th February 2014, 19:56   #13
DJProFusion

Send a message via Yahoo to DJProFusion
LoudCity fought for small Webcasters for years. I will always appreciate what they did for my station and many others for so long. I am sad to see them go.

http://WorldFusionRadio.com
What the future sounds like
DJProFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 01:31   #14
jeffy777
Major Dude

This is sad news
jeffy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 02:23   #15
broadcastingman

http://www.broadcastingworld.com/news/view-507/

Quote:
"Hello Broadcasters, LoudCity is currently undergoing negotiations with an interested party in an effort to continue operations. We shall keep you posted!"

It is unclear who the interested party is, and whether or not this will keep Loudcity afloat.
Loudcity may not shut down after all...
broadcastingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 21:01   #16
odogg

Hope for Loudcity

A new message today on the Loudcity website:

“Hello Broadcasters, LoudCity is currently undergoing negotiations with an interested party in an effort to continue operations. We shall keep you posted!”

Odogg
www.dogglounge.com
Old 21st February 2014, 21:07   #17
odogg

Oh I guess this is 8 days old news.

Odogg
www.dogglounge.com
Old 10th March 2014, 22:40   #18
drunkenscoundrel

I know I am brand new here, but I just want you to know that if you make the switch to Streamlicensing you are in good hands.
I went with Streamlicensing right after Loucaster went dark and have been nothing but happy with them. I am getting nothing out of referrals or anything for this, Marvin is a just a good dude. They have experience in terrestrial broadcasting so they know the ins and outs of the business. I have had zero issues and they always keep in touch about maintenence etc. I have gotten very good and -most importantly-good advice from Marvin and the crew there. They are pretty consistant about expanding services and they have some pretty cool in house services-like iFraming your player page to look like your page etc. They regularly ask for feedback and seem to actually LISTEN. It may seem like they are a bit slow at implementing new things-but I think that is because they take care to make them right the first time.
The one thing they lack is much of a feeling of online community-the forums are kinda dead, unlike Loudcaster. That is something I miss, but it can be made up for elsewhere.
Any other questions hit me up.
Cheers!
drunkenscoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 16:55   #19
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
Well its why I have done the referral thing in the past was because I truly believed in StreamLicensing. I like the fact that you can Upload web pages to their site and inject a player of your choice if you don't like the way their player looks. Plus you can upload .pls files to their site. This is so cool because if you change servers you don't have to submit the new stream link to every Radio directory you have your station listed on. As long as you gave them the link to the .pls file (which you can edit in a text editor like Notepad, GetDiz or your favorite) and upload the new .pls file. Your all done and your can seamlessly change stream providers at any whim.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 19:45   #20
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
BTW here is what I got when I went to Loudcity's site Today:

LoudCity is now closed | This site is sponsored by StreamLicensing: Internet Radio Stream Licensing TM

Hello Broadcasters,

Regarding the Feb 4th announcement, LoudCity has reached its final moment.

In order to continue making digital audio transmissions of sound recordings and publicly perform ing the musical works embodied therein without violating the rights of copyright owners, you must secure all necessary licenses directly or utilize the services of a licensed third-party streaming provider. For information on the licenses required for streaming, you can check out the following resources:

SoundExchange - www.soundexchange.com
ASCAP - www.ascap.com
BMI - www.bmi.com
SESAC - www.sesac.com
If you continue licensing on your own, then you should consider consulting with an attorney. An attorney will help you make sure you do everything correctly and avoid infringing the rights of a copyright owner.

Here's Good News!

You can continue legally broadcasting under license with StreamLicensing.Com. They are looking forward to your business and now are extending a $15 discount towards your first month of service. To sign up now and save $15 click here
On page 2 of your signup process use and validate the following promotional code for your instant discount: LOUDCITY-15

Use StreamLicensing and Save $15

Signing off,
LoudCity

-----------------------------------------

That being said I would assume its all over Time for a new plan for some.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions