A new chapter in SOPA

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ons-sopa.shtml

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 03:03   #2
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
I'm blowing the dust off my box of letters now to write my congressman.

Old 21st August 2013, 04:09   #3
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

All the cards are falling right to reflect we should be paying very close attention to this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3720479.html

http://www.uspto.gov/news/publicatio...greenpaper.pdf

Old 23rd August 2013, 08:15   #4
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-2013/LMzMVrQF

Spread it around. Lets tell them how we really feel. I know half of you might not even vote, but this is important. Really, do me a favor here, lets end this lunacy.

Old 23rd August 2013, 21:57   #5
alfabravo14
Banned

I´m from the other side of the world
and i dont understand the issue:

"If a particular stream contains any copywritten material of any sort the uploader and creator of said content can be found guilty and automatically placed in prison for years on felony charges"

Now if i´m a internet radio station..and i send in my playlist and pay the fees to
the copyright-collecting-autohority ...what is the problem ?
Is this in that case an issue for me ? will i still commit a felony ? still guilty (of what ?)

Or is this about those that do stream and dont pay nothing ?

Please enlighten me

alfabravo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 23:05   #6
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Heres the problem in my eyes.

Before shoutcastrers go with licensing, and everything else they do, they start to get a feel for this. Playing around with Shoutcast, and if you didn't use a host, playing around with DNAS.

Then it happens, everything happens at like 2 in the morning, you get it all working right, and you call your friends, and tell them you got it going.....

Then the whole legality thing takes effect. I dont know how many stations I have come across, that are operated by 14-15 year olds, and have NO CLUE what the DMCA is.

But I'm sure that they shouldn't be tried as felons. Niether should the guy that post a Youtube video he saw of his favorite artist on his site, or blog. He sees it, he does it, and a lot of big media outlets break the rules all the time.

We already have laws that rectify these situations, and fines, and that's not including lawsuits.

The idea that some kid, who hasn't kicked his legitimate adulthood off yet, get tried as a FELON, or some guy (always 1 dumb 18 YO) goes to prison, instead of paying fines/abiding with take down notices/getting sued is dumb. I'm not a smart guy. I do know right from wrong though. This is wrong.

Old 23rd August 2013, 23:19   #7
alfabravo14
Banned

Thanks for your reply !

And the current system is not enough ?
if one (individual) repeatedly pirates music and publishes it.
the current law is not sufficient to stop it ?

i guess it is covered.

So maybe this is for larger type of pirates like MegaUpload et al ?
but i suppose you have a law..that calls that organized crime.

So can you mention in a few words why a new (additional) law is needed
or what is not covered by the current laws ?

ps) yes i know you are against it ...i probably too..just trying to understand the other-side´s point of view.
alfabravo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 01:00   #8
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

I got to go to the store, but I see your question, let me take some time to answer this. Keep in mind I'm not speaking on this community's behalf, just my own personal opinions and concerns.

Old 24th August 2013, 03:47   #9
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Ok, to nutshell it, and to not throw out a statment that the next guy would say is completely ludicrous...

Every time this SOPA act gets presented, their is no clear line of provisioning in the lines of what is Felony and what isn't. We could say that it is here for company's like Mega upload should fall in these boundary's, but what really defines the boundary's? What protects the guy that doesn't know any better?

We say we need something for major pirates, but if the laws now worked as they should, the same content that could get a take down notice now, could get one with the SOPA agreement, the only difference is that it would be a felony.

SO, why cant a failure to pay on a successful lawsuit, to restore damages lost to the intellectual property owner do what SOPA is doing?

That's my question to the community. If I'm crazy here in my ideology, I love correcting my own ignorance, as I got a lot of it. What I see, face value, is that the only possible reason it could be utilized is to speed up the process of making an example of violators, or possible abuse of power.

I have nothing against the royalty collection agency's. Most JLA's (including my own) have opted for SESAC licensing now, so that JLA stations have the opportunity to make revenue back using sponsors and commercials. So I have no room to cry about not recouping my 100%+ loss (about $300-450 in royalty's a year) because if I cant find a commercial sponsor that wants my content to promote their product, that's my problem. In my case, its more just understanding how to effectively utilize commercials with my stream to legally generate revenue, and my responsibility's once (and if) I choose to. It will happen. One wrong step though, and I fall in that category of people who could get nailed by the SOPA agreement, as JLA users that dont follow the provisions of their JLA's TOS fall under unauthorized streams across the board.

Thats where I stand on it. Just me, my own opinion. Face value.

Edit: Just so its clear, I understand the concept of "felony", and SOPA may have a purpose to weed out "Big offenders". Now you have a small station getting popular with unauthorized content. You ask an intellectual property owner the currency value of loss, with the royalty agency's backing him, with a bunch of suited lawyers, with paychecks for their services. Thats my thought on "undefined provisioning" with SOPA

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions