X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musicf8
    Major Dude
    • Apr 2013

But it's not like the original 2.x skin?!!?!? I kid of course. The skin looks damn good, it's like a refresh into modern times. Very Awesome Victhor, thanks!
    Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• Victhor
      Late skinner & Moderator
      • May 2003

Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
      But it's not like the original 2.x skin?!!?!? I kid of course. The skin looks damn good, it's like a refresh into modern times. Very Awesome Victhor, thanks!
      Thanks!! I've updated my comment to add an extra download link for those without user on WACUP forums (I wasn't aware visitors can't download files there..) .
      · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• Hicuregary
        • Mar 2014

Github request

Will you guys please put the source code for Winamp on Github?

Comment

• musicf8
          Major Dude
          • Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Hicuregary View Post
          No.
          Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro, Sound Blaster Z, Logitech Z-5500, Winamp v5.666.3516

Get wacup

Comment

• DJ-Garybaldy
            Forum King
            • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by Hicuregary View Post
            A) its not our code to give away
            B) Winamp was never open source in the first place.

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

• OldNotBroken
              • Sep 2017

So how do I?

I am a developer with 30+ experience... as much as I have enjoyed Winamp (and equally annoyed by nearly every other attempt at a music player since oh...1998) it seems I should think about stepping up to the plate here. How can I give back to something that I would like to see keep on keeping on. In other words, you need developer help - I am willing to lend a hand just no idea how I would?

Comment

• Victhor
                Late skinner & Moderator
                • May 2003

Originally Posted by OldNotBroken View Post
                I am a developer with 30+ experience... as much as I have enjoyed Winamp (and equally annoyed by nearly every other attempt at a music player since oh...1998) it seems I should think about stepping up to the plate here. How can I give back to something that I would like to see keep on keeping on. In other words, you need developer help - I am willing to lend a hand just no idea how I would?
                Originally we thought that Winamp needed a developer for the next release, it still does (I think), but that's not why there isn't a new build released. There isn't one because what's been done is currently being hold by directives / legal department of Radionomy. Doesn't seem to be much interest in releasing it.
                If you want to see your work being actually useful, head to Darren's Winamp project: WACUP.

PS: By knowing him, I think he would tell you to help Winamp by doing plugins and /or looking what parts of Winamp need improvement and focus there. There's a lot to do..
                · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• Arthur76
                  • Sep 2017

Winamp searches for a developer?

Comment

• musicf8
                    Major Dude
                    • Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Arthur76 View Post
                    Winamp searches for a developer?
                    yes?

Get wacup

Comment

• musicf8
                      Major Dude
                      • Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
                      help Winamp by doing plugins
                      OldNotBroken, your name says a lot, but I cannot say the same for a lot of plug-ins that are around and can be improved on. Victhor said it best, a lot of awesome plug-ins are abandoned and could use an update from a programmer. For me personally, I am stuck on 5.63 because I use ml_ipod and 5.65+ cause my winamp to crash. I am not asking you to fix it, but just using me as an example. I would connect with DrO and see what he would suggest. DrO has put a lot into WACUP, doesn't hurt having someone else extend on it by improving good plug-ins.

Get wacup

Comment

• blackmennewstyle
                        • Oct 2017

Winamp, the old good time, my first encounter with mp3, P2P, HTML & computers...

Time really flies

Comment

• Andvari
                          • Oct 2017

I'll say back in 97 I stumbled upon Winamp and since then it has become the best player basically in existence even over foobar which I have but I somehow just can't see myself using that a lot over Winamp which has become so polished. I would hope in the near future that Winamp comes back strong with a new version and even bug fixes would be ok. I basically grew up with Winamp and to see this legendary player go down is terrible.

Comment

• chros
                            • Nov 2003

Exactly: making/fixing plugins is the best way to contribute today.
                            E.g. there's still no usable WASAPI output plugin
                            Winamp 5.581 (DirectSound out) + ClockAmp 2.6 + mp3cue 5.0
                            MSI GE60(i73630QM,16GB,IntelHD4000(v10.18.10.4358)+GeForceGT650m(2GB,v355.98)+muxless,1920x1080@60Hz,Plextor M5M 256GB SSD,Win8.1x64+MPC-HCx64+LAV+MadVR)+Yamaha RX-830+LG 55LD650(1080p@24/25/30/60Hz)

Comment

• niktheguru
                              • May 2003

As annoying as it sounds, winamp is now well and truly dead.
                              Yes, we have a working 4yr old version that is still available to download, and it works well for playing your mp3s, but we're now kidding ourselves expecting radionomy to change tact and start developing when its obvious they have no interest.

I've been as hopeful as all of you, checking this thread over the last few years periodically to see if there is any update. I thank DJ egg, DrO and all others who have spent so much of their time developing and keeping us updated.

Lets look at the facts though guys, since v5.666 what has been done? Basically a lot of work to take out the proprietary stuff and replace it. There have been no real innovations, and they're not even allowed to release what they have done to us.

With people increasingly using streaming services, the relevance of the product to the mass market is now much less than it was. Winamp will be a niche minority product, and arguably for playing media it still currently works and does the job originally intended.

I have fond memories of using it from V1, and getting regular updates.....damn dare i say it i even liked winamp 3! but we are all now just clutching at straws. to wait one or two years for an update is being patient, but to think something may come after nearly 4yrs of nothing....even i've lost all hope. I just hope DrOs efforts produce some fruit and extension of life for the player, as i dont think radionomy will be doing anything with it.
                              Nikhil

Comment

• DJ-Garybaldy
                                Forum King
                                • Sep 2003

I'm in whole hearted agreement 4 years on and still no new version of Winamp, Radionomy only bought Shoutcast and Winamp so they could do something with Shoutcast (e.g: make money from it)

It was 1999 when I first discovered Winamp at the time it was the best thing to use for mp3, You're also right in what you say about streaming services taking over.

I play my media through a different player these days (one that database driven) The only time I use Winamp is really on my phone for music.

RadioDJ - Winamp - SAMBC

Comment

Working...
                                X