Old 4th June 2015, 08:24   #1
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via AIM to Dr.Flay Send a message via MSN to Dr.Flay Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
Lightbulb Forum tweak request

Would it be possible for the admin to switch the default behaviour of posting to notify of replied topics ?

New users cannot access any preferences, and cannot re-edit their last post to enable notifications after a short time.
This place has an inordinate amount of 1-posters that quite often got replies.
It would be good to encourage new visitors that people here do read and answer posts.

Please at least discuss the merits in the staff section.
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 07:05   #2
xhilaration

Send a message via Skype™ to xhilaration
Spam protection
You get up to a curtain post amount then you will be able to edit stuff
I believe this is in the board rules or in part of

xhilaration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 05:11   #3
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via AIM to Dr.Flay Send a message via MSN to Dr.Flay Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
Yes, however I'm not saying to change the user permissions, just to change the posting default so that users get an email when someone relies to their question.
Many people often use the quick reply function, and the option to receive notifications is not there, so once you post it is too late.

Spammers won't get replies to their posts (or should not) so they will not notice anything.
Changing some notification defaults only puts the new user at risk of being spammed, not the other way round.

From my own experience:
I kind of figure that if I did not want notification of replies, I wouldn't be posting in a thread.
Due to my lack of posts it has taken me 2 accounts (and a post count reset to "0" at this site) over many years to finally be able to reliably receive notifications.
I have always had the option of spamming an extra post to enable notifications, but I don't post without reason, and as a forum mod elsewhere I have to spend time merging posts and telling people to read the rules.
Until recently if anyone had PMd me here, I would also not receive a notification.
As it is an open forum you don't need to login to read replies to a post, so on-site notifications are often not visible.

Mashups ? Smells like a lot of "Fishy Business" to me.
Visit my label at www.last.fm/label/Fishy+Business for musical education.
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Site Design