Old 10th May 2015, 06:31   #1
Michael T.

Free APK?

DJ Egg, the linke Winamp Downloads goes to the post beneath you and I looked, it's something called a "Free APK," for Android. But what does "APK" stand for? I'm a new android user. Is it the beta version of the Winamp for Android? Since it's not in the google play store?
Michael T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 07:08   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android...cation_package

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 15:15   #3
Michael T.

I didn't understand a bit of that. I would like to know in simple language what "APK" means. Is "APK" the program itself?
Old 10th May 2015, 17:40   #4
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
This is simple description:
Android application package (APK) is the package file format used to distribute and install software (usually games or apps) onto Google's Android operating system (Windows PC systems uses exe files).

To make an APK file, a program for Android is first compiled, and then all of its parts are packaged into one file. An APK file contains all of that program's code (such as .dex files), resources, assets, certificates, and manifest file.

APK files are a type of archive file, specifically in zip format packages based on the JAR file format, with .apk as the filename extension. The MIME type associated with APK files is application/vnd.android.package-archive.
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 18:15   #5
Michael T.

So the link on this post for Android is the winamp app?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....74929#download
Old 10th May 2015, 18:30   #6
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Yes, you can install Winamp for Android using this link - free version or Pro (if your purchased Winamp Pro on Google Play).
Here is a short description how to install externall app on Android device (not using Google Play Store):
http://www.theandroidportal.com/inst...d-smartphones/
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 19:01   #7
Michael T.

I thought that link that I posted from the winamp forum was fork the winamp app. I still having trouble understanding. APK is basically the install package for Android?? I will check out that link soon as I know there are some sites still carrying the winamp app for Android.
Old 11th May 2015, 08:19   #8
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T. View Post
I thought that link that I posted from the winamp forum was fork the winamp app.
Not a fork, it was an a separately developed program for android by the makers of winamp.

Quote:
I still having trouble understanding. APK is basically the install package for Android??
Yes, not sure what you don't understand. You copy it to your fone, open the apk, and install (give your security settings will allow it). Then you will have the app available to run like any other app.

Quote:
I will check out that link soon as I know there are some sites still carrying the winamp app for Android.
Some sites? If you mean the Google Play store, then don't hold your breath because it most likely won't be returning anytime soon, and if it does, it will most likely be a completely different version.
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 06:40   #9
Michael T.

I do believe there are some sites that have the old winamp app. I saw the old one on my mom's samsung that she bought some years ago, it looked pretty cool.
Old 12th May 2015, 14:31   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Michael T.,

I suggest you look at this thread (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345744), if you have not already.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 21:35   #11
Michael T.

I don't understand what that information has to do with my original post.
Old 12th May 2015, 21:39   #12
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Quote:
I don't understand what that information has to do with my original post.
your question wasn't that clear and easily understandable to what you were asking for... at least to me...

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 9/14/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 01:23   #13
Michael T.

In Winamp Downloads that was provided by the user Winamp Lover. included the link for "Free APK." I'm new to smart phones so I was having trouble understanding what APK is. But I think from reading all the information in the posts, that APK is in the simplest of terms, the Install Package for the app Winamp for Android. Is that correct?
Old 13th May 2015, 01:24   #14
DrO

yes
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 22:04   #15
Michael T.

Thank you DrO. I wasn't sure if the APK was an install package or not. Android is fun but hard to understand for me.
Old 20th May 2015, 12:08   #16
kissds

Yes, thank you for a good idea - from reading all the information in the posts, that APK is in the simplest of terms, the Install Package for the app Winamp for Android

I am also a beginner and could not understand how to work with APK
kissds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 00:11   #17
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via AIM to Dr.Flay Send a message via MSN to Dr.Flay Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
As beginners you need to learn how to search the net for the existing answers, rather than to ask someone write it for you.
Typing "what is an apk" in your favourite search engine would have given you the answer within seconds.
I can see a range of answers that suit any ability, including no ability.

As beginners you also need to recognise that you were directed to the wiki page where the first sentence says;
Quote:
Android application package (APK) is the package file format used to distribute and install application software and middleware onto Google's Android operating system.
Q: What does the Winamp Android FAQ have to do with Winamp Android questions from beginners ?

As beginners with anything you also need to recognise that when someone directs you to the FAQ for the product you are talking about, that it is where you will learn the other answers that you will want to ask next, and also understand the limits of the product you are using.

Unfortunately as Android beginners you have also just pointed yourself out to the world, that you and your phones are soft-targets for hacking and exploits.

Android is currently one of the most risky OSs to use, due to the lack of security updates and lack of knowlage, so you better start learning and reading as much as possible.
https://www.lookout.com/resources/know-your-mobile/
http://arstechnica.com/search/?ie=UT...id+bug+exploit
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/mobile-devices/
https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...egory=Security

Mashups ? Smells like a lot of "Fishy Business" to me.
Visit my label at www.last.fm/label/Fishy+Business for musical education.
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android