Old 30th April 2008, 21:25   #1
Commando187

Winamp shuffle function is NOT random

Hey all-

Has anyone else noticed that the shuffle function on the Winamp player is not really random...and never really has been. I currently have 2500 songs on my winamp playlist, and it always wants to pick songs from the same band. Last night I listened on shuffle for about 2-3 hours. I heard 4 Talking Heads songs, even though I only have 7 of them on my playlist.

It seems highly unlikely that this would occur by chance, yet it happens quite routinely.

I would humbly suggest that the Winamp developers look into changing the shuffle funtion so as to make it truly random.

Your thoughts??

-Commando
Commando187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 23:12   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by Commando187
Your thoughts??
Yeah. Here are my thoughts...

You have both Random and Shuffle options in Winamp.

Shuffling and Randomizing are 2 entirely separate things, and both are doing their jobs properly/exactly as intended (see here for more on this).

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 23:26   #3
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Addendum:

If you want a perfect combination of randomizing and shuffling, then read this post (it's another post in the same thread I linked to above).
Old 30th April 2008, 23:27   #4
Commando187

Shuffle v. Randomization

It's not that i'm confusing shuffling and randomizing. It's not even that shuffle has been choosing the same songs multiple times (because with the size of my current playlist, that would be TRULY unlikely). It's just that shuffle seems to prefer different bands (different parts of my list, so to speak). Last night, for example...in 3 hours I heard 3 DJ shadow songs.

Having said that, randomizing may do a better job at truly jumbling up the list...but that is not what i'm looking for. I want to keep my list in the order that it's in within the playlist, but have winamp pick a song from it at random. There just doesn't seem to be a way to do that. There is no truly random button on the winamp player itself, like there is for a shuffle
Old 30th April 2008, 23:47   #5
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

I see what you are trying to say, but everything is already explained in the posts in the thread I already linked twice to. If need be, read through the entire thread.

The only thing that I may have failed to mention is to perhaps increase the shuffle morph rate, as depicted in this screenie I just made for you...

It appears as if you also want a "button" and are disappointed that one exists for Shuffle and not for Randomize. I totally agree that it WOULD be better to have a randomize button too. Then perhaps nobody would complain.

In any event, if you want to "stick" with the Shuffle button, and not consider any of the other options mentioned in the other thread I linked to (including DrO's Time Restore & Autoplay plugin), then.... well, your only other option is to refer to the above screenshot, and slide that thing ALL the way to the right! But... you will STILL have the possibility of repeated songs that way.
Old 30th April 2008, 23:50   #6
Commando187

I didn't really know I could do that. That may solve my problem. It wasn't really a problem, I suppose...it was just odd. Thanks for your help.
Old 30th April 2008, 23:52   #7
DrO

or you can click in the playlist, select all items (ctrl+a) and then shift+r and then playback the playlist as wanted (assumes you've got gen_jumpex/jtfe installed). is how i do random without messing with the playlist order

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 23:55   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Aha! And DrO just supplied you with yet another option!

And that option WILL take care of this part of your wish...
Quote:
Originally posted by Commando187
I want to keep my list in the order that it's in within the playlist, but have winamp pick a song from it at random. There just doesn't seem to be a way to do that. There is no truly random button on the winamp player itself, like there is for a shuffle
Problem solved/wish granted, thanks to DrO!
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:34   #9
nifelan

Unfortunately that is not an option with >100.000 files (which can happen when you have a huge playlist composed over different hosts)
nifelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 07:39   #10
Nightblade

I think the devs are somewhat confused as to the generally accepted definitions of "shuffle" and "random".

I find it odd that any developer who has ever worked with arrays and lists could mis-interpret these two terms.

Some real world examples:

Someone hands you a pack of cards and asks you to shuffle them and deal them one at a time, they don't expect to see the same card more than once.

Spread out a deck of cards and ask someone to indicate any card at random 52 times you can be sure they will indicate at least 1 card twice.

Not perfect examples to be sure, but they illustrate a typical person's expectations and use of the terms.
Nightblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 19:35   #11
chiliNUT

This is an old thread... however, here is the issue I have always and still do have with the shuffle:
It is likely using some seed to generate random numbers, and it is not changing seeds often enough, or recycling seeds. If it is shuffling some songs, and I click an arbitrary song on the playlist to listen to instead, and its on shuffle, it should start a new seed.
chiliNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 23:04   #12
WowMachine

I always like Winamp FOR its random/shuffle

I started using Winamp in the 90s when I first started ripping CDs and listening to all of my music in one playlist that has been randomized and played on shuffle.... once I met my wife, we combined our music and started borrowing all of our friends' CDs and ripping them until we had about 40gb's worth by 2005. I also added thousands of >10sec clips and quotes from TV & movies as well as hundreds of hours of spoken word from people like Chomsky and Jello Biafra... so when all those tracks are mixed up like that, it started to have its own personality.

Our nickname for our computer was "The Wow Machine" so we started calling winamp on randomized shuffle, "Wow Machine Radio."

We tried out other players, but all acted more like the way OP described his original experience... they all seemed to repeat the same songs within a pretty short interval.

Not winamp.... once the playlist was randomized by holding down cntl-shift-r for 10 or more seconds and the result played on random... we NEVER knew what would play next.

HOWEVER, As crazy as it sounds, my wife and I have commented to each other on many occasions over the yearsabout how it seemed like Wow Machine Radio seemed to be playing selections as though it had a theme in mind. I won’t go as far as saying it is actually intelligent, but it has made me ponder how artificial intelligence would manifest itself. I’ve stayed up waaay too late many times simply waiting to see what the next track it would “randomly” choose, marvelling at the moments when the next choice seemed to ‘fit’ right into place.

As for criticism.... if and when winamp crashed, all of the 'recently played' since the last load was LOST. I've always wished there was a 'subtracting feature' to the playlist... so, even if randomized and shuffled, once played, the track would just drop off the list and you could be sure you wouldn't hear it again.... if not that, then some way to easily remove just the tracks that had been played recently.

Anyway... I just wanted to weigh in on this old thread because the Random/shuffle features on Winamp was always THE thing that kept me using it. The worst player I've found is iTunes.... somehow, it has a way of playing from the SAME library, but making my own music suck. Winamp, for some reason, has always been entertaining in its' shuffle for me.

We just resurrected Wow Machine Radio when we found out there was a rollback in the build.... we'd stopped using Winamp for the last five years when AOL bloated it up into an unstable mess.

http://listen.shoutcast.com/wow-machine-radio
WowMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist