Old 3rd January 2008, 07:34   #1
MikeVale

License Agreement

Hi Guys, not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I would like to enquire about using winamp to play content for the public. Does the license agreement of the free version allow such a thing? If not, what version would I need to buy to do this? What happens about any plugins that I may download to assist the playback?

Cheers

Mike
MikeVale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:42   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

As far as I know, you need a public performance license for doing that, and possibly extra permission for playing any copyrighted music. It actually has nothing to do with what equipment (hardware/software) you use for playback.

I guess it also depends on what country you're in, as licensing/copyright laws vary from country to country....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:48   #3
MikeVale

The location in question is a cinema who will probably already have a license for public performance (showing films and all) in the uk. I was assuming that winamp would require some form of license for its use in a commercial location. For example I have a synchronisation program that requires you to buy a "pro" version for it to be used in a commercial sense.
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:51   #4
MikeVale

Is there anyone on here from winamp or anyone know of an email address for them?
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:57   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

As far as I know, you don't need any license (nor is there one) to use Winamp itself.

As I said, the only license you'll need is a public performance license, and as you say, the cinema must already have one. Consult them for info on whether they have to pay any royalties for public playback of any copyrighted material.

There's a license agreement included with Winamp, on Screen 2 of the installer.
Quote:
3. RESTRICTIONS ON USE. Licensee may not: (v) use the Product to reproduce, display, perform, or distribute audio and/or video content in any manner that violates any U.S. or foreign laws or regulations or any third party's rights, including copyright, privacy or publicity rights, or other intellectual property right;

4. NEED FOR CONTENT LICENSES. This license provides no rights with respect to any musical compositions, sound recordings, video recordings, or other audio and/or video materials ("Content") that may be reproduced, encoded, distributed, transmitted, performed, or otherwise used in connection with the Product. Licensee alone is responsible for ensuring that any Content is properly used in accordance with applicable laws and the rights of any third party with respect to such Content.
ps. I'm "from Winamp"
(check the Credits // Winamp -> Help -> About Winamp -> Credits tab)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:01   #6
MikeVale

ok, cheers, sorry about that. I'll look into it from the cinema end, good news though
Old 8th May 2017, 18:14   #7
Maya

Public performance

Hi I saw ur post from 2008 regarding using Winamp in a cinema. Did u ever find out if you need any special license from Winamp?
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support