Old 1st March 2017, 20:29   #1
SaulLC

64-bit Winamp

According to this thread there isn't any need for 64-bit software, 32-bit software are well supported and for years to come, but, most software has began to have a 64-bit version on 64-but operating systems for efficiency and compatibility of early adopters, which has a little speed advantage.

So how about we get a Winamp 5.666 64-bit?

I want all my software to be 64-bit on my Win7 64-bit if possible, and the same when it's 32-bit, so this is my wish.
SaulLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:01   #2
musicf8

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
I don't get it, what benefit would you have by running winamp at 64-bit? when does winamp need more than 4gb allocated? winamp is a small program and should stay a small program. The only reason I could see 64-bit being useful is encoding video, but again seems there's other software better for that.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 1/5/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 14:26   #3
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via AIM to Dr.Flay Send a message via MSN to Dr.Flay Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
Actually it may be a problem in the future.
Microsoft are making every effort to deprecate 32bit support in newer Windows.

Windows 10 Option to Block Installation of Win32 Apps
http://www.securityweek.com/windows-...ion-win32-apps

Mashups ? Smells like a lot of "Fishy Business" to me.
Visit my label at www.last.fm/label/Fishy+Business for musical education.
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 14:53   #4
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
Windows 10 Option to Block Installation of Win32 Apps
http://www.securityweek.com/windows-...ion-win32-apps
that has nothing to do with x32 or x64 apps, all that does is give the option to prevent apps from being installed outside of the windows store. As for Windows cloud, again that just means it will only allow UWP apps. Microsoft won't remove support for 32-bit apps for a long time (they still make 32-bit versions of windows)

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 7th March 2017, 09:17   #5
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via AIM to Dr.Flay Send a message via MSN to Dr.Flay Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
It has everything to do with 32 bit software, as it is only 32 bit software that is being targeted.
If Winamp is not released via the MS app store, installation may be blocked for some users at a later date.
The article does not say Windows will no longer be able to run x32 stuff. It clearly states that x32 software will still continue to run.
The bit of my comment you quoted is specific and accurate.

Obviously in practice it will be much like the popups we get when installing software with no certificate. Windows has the same 3 options.
So we can assume that for most people they will just see a warning, when installing Winamp.
However as we go further down the road we can expect MS to move the goalposts once more, as they want the dominance of their own app store, and finally they pull in-line with Google and Apple by disallowing by default anything from outside the store including 64bit.

At which point the more important question becomes, can we expect to see Winamp released via the app store (32 or 64 does not matter within the store).
Only Radionomy have the answer to that.

Mashups ? Smells like a lot of "Fishy Business" to me.
Visit my label at www.last.fm/label/Fishy+Business for musical education.
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 22:00   #6
musicf8

Yes and no I believe. Of course given time 32bit programs will go the way of 16bit programs in windows, but I really don't see that in the near foreseeable future.

Technically speaking 32bit programs aren't even allowed directly in x64 windows now, but because of wow64 they allowed 32bit programs to run 'compatibly' in x64 windows. Microsoft was also looking to do something similar for migrating desktop programs to the UWP platform, though I haven't heard much recently on it. So I assume eventually that will be the case because of how important win32 apps are to businesses and such.

Of course, this all could change, but that's something the market will eventually figure out.

In terms of radionomy, sadly I believe that winamp would reach 'official' EOL before that shift would happen :/

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 10th March 2017, 19:05   #7
zorrilla

But, what is the reason for not release a 64 version? There no discussion that everything is moving in that direction.
zorrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 19:17   #8
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrilla View Post
But, what is the reason for not release a 64 version? There no discussion that everything is moving in that direction.
best guess is mostly due to compatibility and time/resources, think of the number of plug-ins that would become obsolete because winamp is now 64-bit, also the fact that the winamp code is essentially 20 years old (except for any modifications or updates). Winamp 5.x is essentially a revised winamp 2.x, in order to make it a 64-bit program, the code would most likely have to be completely redone, and given the fact that the current version is over 3 years old, the chances of radionomy even consider changing it over to 64-bit is practically nil.

The only time it would make sense for winamp to move to 64-bit would be when there's no other option, but again, I am guessing winamp will be abandoned by then.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 14th May 2017, 07:00   #9
musicf8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistabastian View Post
Winamp Full 5.6.6.6 the latest updates for windows and mac support 32/64 bit, you can get on: (trojan site)
are you fing kidding me?!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 14th May 2017, 18:05   #10
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
are you fing kidding me?!

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist