Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 16th May 2017, 22:43   #1
mjmarrer

Has Anyone Found That the Bookmark Manager Plug-in Does Not Allow Winamp to Launch?

Has anyone else run into problems with the Bookmark Manager plug-in?

My Winamp was working fine until around the May 8-10. After that it would not launch. When I check the Windows Task Manager I see that it is sitting there as a process and is using just under 20,000K of memory - but it never completes starting. This occurs even after rebooting and making Winamp the first thing I manually launch.

Launching Winamp in Safe Mode works fine. It comes up and uses about 32,000K of memory.

I made no changes at all to my system last week, other than installing some required updates that were flagged by Microsoft (BTW, I am running Windows 7 Pro).

Just for the fun of it I tried uninstalling those updates over the weekend to see what would happen. I could uninstall all except one dated 5/13 which I could not remove (I suspect it was a forced mandatory update to combat that worldwide ransomware attack). But that had no effect, so I reinstalled all of the Microsoft updates.

This is kind of a pain running in Safe mode, as it always prompts me as a reminder that all plug-ins will be disabled.

I found the file where all of the stations I put in the Bookmark Manager section were stored, so I know the list of what they are.

The question is, without Winamp launching, how can I disable that plug-in? Or is my only option uninstalling Winamp and reinstalling it? If the latter, what file do I need to save to maintain my existing customized settings? (Of course, I need to make sure those settings only referred to stored colors, theme and radio stations and not any plug-ins - otherwise I'll just be back where I started.)

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

I know Winamp is "dead", but I've looked at the recommended replacements and am not thrilled. Everything seems to be geared to playing CDs and downloaded MP3s. I use Winamp strictly as a radio player, and really like it that way.
mjmarrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:20   #2
mjmarrer

OK, this is weird. Tuesday evening (05/23) I get the notification that updates are available from Microsoft. There was one Important update:

o Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - May 2017 (KB890830)

There were also two optional updates:

o May, 2017 Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2 on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4019288)

o 2017-05 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4019265)

I installed all three and guess what? Winamp with all of my plugins now loads and runs fine.

Obviously some previous Microsoft Windows update messed things up, and the latest modules fixed whatever Redmond broke.

I don't feel like taking the time of backing them out and then reinstalling one by one to see which one corrected the problem. I'm just happy in knowing that all of my functionality has been restored.
mjmarrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support