Old 5th May 2005, 01:20   #1
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Milkdrop Source Code

Milkdrop 1 Source Code released (May 4, 2005)

http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/
http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdro....04_Source.zip

Released under BSD template license

Project Page
http://sourceforge.net/projects/milkdrop

EDIT Sep 2011
http://web.archive.org/web/201008150....04_Source.zip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4353519/Milk....04_Source.zip

EDIT (by geiss) May 2013
Milkdrop 2 Source Code released (May 15, 2013)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/milkdrop2
http://www.geisswerks.com/milkdrop/m...p_225c_src.zip
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2005, 12:22   #2
JSMain

Whah WHoooooo!

Thank You Nullsoft!

Now to try and figure out how to fix it!
JSMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2005, 15:32   #3
psperl

I wonder if projectM had anything to do with their decision to release the source.

If projectM had nothing to do with this, then it's too bad they didn't do this 2 years ago so I wouldn't have had to reverse-engineer everything that is Milkdrop to get projectM working on Linux/Mac OS X/Win32.

Well, at least this means that projectM will now render the waveforms properly, so I can enjoy Milkdrop on linux the way it was intended.

Thank you Nullsoft.
psperl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 19:13   #4
pinkpanther

projectm & mac os x

Does this mean that the radeon problem can now be solved for the itunes/mac version of projectm? Still haven't been able to get it to run on my radeon/g5.
pinkpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 01:23   #5
psperl

Hehe, no this doesn't help you. Milkdrop is Win32 only, because it's in directX. projectM is in OpenGL, which is why you can use it.

Unfortuneately the milkdrop source doesn't help us with solve your problem. Alligator said he'de be working on Mac/ATI compatability now that he has a Mac w/an ATI card ( or at least I thin khe does), so send him an email.

-Pete
psperl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 01:04   #6
GeeZuZzz

THANK YOU!

Finally we can enjoy the world's best visual-plugin, also on our XBOX

And hopefully the multi-monitor bug will be fixed for the winamp-version.

Thank you!
GeeZuZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2005, 16:11   #7
snakies

has anyone began the work to make this the best screensaver ever?

i would be willing to help if need be.
snakies@gmail.com
snakies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2005, 21:44   #8
Phat
Major Dude

You would have to run music though it. Most of these presets need bass mid and treb values running though them. There are some that do not, but not all that many. I guess you could always just loop one track, or just loop a kick sample, making beat detections work pretty well.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 22:29   #9
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

The above post links to a video file that will try to install a codec containing a trojan. Do not click it
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 13:01   #10
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Removed it. Cheers Eos

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 19:38   #11
nsX

Any chance to get the version 1.03 source code? Sourceforge CVS seems to be down right now.
nsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 06:24   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Spammers should die long, tragic, excruciating, painful deaths. Then again it would make me just as happy to quickly toss them into a pool of volcanic lava.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 16:21   #13
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Ahh, spam was removed. Thanks and ignore my above post.

Old 6th September 2011, 19:13   #14
csabal

hi,

can somebody send me the source code of Milkdrop? or a working link...
i had google for it, but there is no working link for it....

thanks a lot!
csabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 02:12   #15
JohanSebastian

Milkdrop Source Code/Open Source

From what I have read on the web Milkdrop was made Open Source by the author quite some time ago. On his web site it says in 2007 he updated the software to version 2.

I have searched all over the place for the source code, and all the links I can find (including on Geiss' web site, and right here on the Winamp forums) lead me to a dead end.

So my question is "where can I get my hands on the source code for version 2 of Milkdrop"?

Johan
JohanSebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 08:52   #16
DrO

only the v1 code was made open source. the v2 code has never been released.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:16   #17
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
You may be interested in this link
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...01&postcount=5
This guy has written an MD2 clone
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:07   #18
JohanSebastian

Milkdrop Source?

I looked at that post, didnt see any source code or anything useful.

I have also seen references to other derivations of MD, including ProjectM (dont know if that helps me on Windows).

Also another one called LightMaestro. It looks like he got a fair ways into it. There are several videos on youtube ie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpaTafZnkfc, where somehow he overlaid video on top of MD, however the web site is nonexistent so evidently he gave up on it.

So I am back to wondering a few things:
1) If MD1 was made open source, why not MD2?
2) Who is the "keeper" of MD2 source? The guys here at winamp must have it, right? Can it be made available for download??

I started doing VJ shows at my local nightclub here in Portland, OR about a year ago. I started off by using Winamp/Milkdrop. Winamp is a great media player, no question. A VJ app it is not. I am able to do some pretty good shows with Winamp/Milkdrop, and yet I want to do more, a lot more.

For example, I purchased a Kinect a few months ago, and have put together some really GOOD effects for it. (search on youtube for DesignerVisuals). One of my goals is to have Milkdrop running in the background, with some of my Kinect effects overlaid on top. I might even be able to produce a Winamp Plugin (if I can wrap my brain around the Winamp Plugin API). Even so, the kinect effects wont be overlaid on top of MD though iun that case.

The current implementation of MD2 in Winamp has some good capabilities, such as what it does with static image overlays (that is awesome!) however no capability that I can see to do things like overlay a live video feed.

Hence my desire to get ahold of the Milkdrop 2 source code.

So I am making my appeal here on this forum to the guys that maintain Winamp to see if I can get my hands on the source.

So how about it guys? Can I beg, borrow, or buy it?
Old 13th December 2011, 23:09   #19
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
JohanSebastian

1) No, there is no code in the link. All I wanted to say is that someone has indeed written a working MD2 clone, so it must be possible.

2) LightMaestro's work is a sort of interface between MD and winamp, can intercept and send messages, comfortably apply scripts to MD, overlay videos etc., thus moving MD a big step closer to VJing... I have never seen it but I reckon this would meet your requirements. However, LightMaestro got a lot of flames for his aggressive style of promoting his product and finally seems to have disappeared from the planet. I think the reason he gave up on it was not technical but rather that there was no market.

3) Finally, on the MD2 source code - the reason that it is not available is that AOL bought winamp and holds the rights. It is not available, period.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 23:29   #20
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitorami View Post
3) Finally, on the MD2 source code - the reason that it is not available is that AOL bought winamp and holds the rights. It is not available, period.
I don't know the proper reason for MD2 not being open-sourced (though it's probably no one cares / thought of it / cba / not worth it as explained later) but that comment is quite not correct since the MD1 source code was released under AOL / Nullsoft ownership - was done by Tag when he was basically in charge of things at the time if i remember correctly as people kept asking for AVS and Milkdrop to be open sourced.

however nothing useful to Nullsoft / Winamp came of open sourcing those plug-ins and so i wouldn't hold out much hope since it was meant to be a test to see how well doing that would be and what benefit would be gotten back which hasn't been the case (yes it could have probably been handled better but it's probably too late now).

though going back to the point i've quoted, as Aol / Nullsoft own the code, they can do whatever they want to do with it which includes not releasing it. not what i'm expecting is wanting to be heard (and i'd love to be proven wrong) but i just don't see that changing any time soon.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 18:57   #21
JohanSebastian

Hello.
Thanks for the replies.
Re: Lightmaestro. In his posts I have seen on the web (cant remember where exactly @ the moment) he said he was more of an engineer, versus a Business Man. Why he abandoned the project and pulled it from the web entirely is a mystery to me at this point. I havent been able to find a copy of lightmasetro anywhere that I can download.
So I am beginning to get the idea Geiss developed Milkdrop while being employed at Nullsoft (I thought up until now he developed it on his own, and then made it open source). Is this correct? That might explain why MD1 was made open source, as like an "experiment", and MD2 was not.
I am still desirous of using Milkdrop as a backdrop for other things, like my kinect effects, video clips, flash files etc. When I look at the img.ini file for MD, I dont see any animated types of files which can be setup as an overlay. Unless I am mistaken? The things MD can do with static image overlays is in a word, amazing. Epsecially the way it merges the colors from the overlay into the MD animation. THATS COOL! So now I want to goto the next step and overlay other things on top.
Also attempting to figure out how to make my kinect effects into a plugin to WInamp somehow.
I use XNA for some of my kinect effects. XNA runs on the XBOX. Which also leads me to wonder if MD can be run on XBOX. There's a WHOLE lot of XBOXs out there in the world. Seems to me there's a good market there for some of these effects (like MD). I am going to buy an XBOX, just so I can see what it can do. It already has Kinect support, since the Kinect was originally designed to work with XBOX.
Old 19th December 2011, 20:43   #22
JohanSebastian

One other thought I had recently which I will run by the members of this forum.

Is it possible to run Milkdrop, and somehow in a c# program get ahold of the window handle, and be able to overlay graphics on top of it? (From what Nitorami said, lightMaestro did something like that).

As a stop gap measure, just so I can use MD and my other software in series during a VJ show, I attempted to switch between MD and my Kinect effects program with Alt Tab, and that works as long as MD is running in a window. It DOESNT seem to work if MD is running full screen. Its like MD takes over the display, and doesnt want to "share it".

Johan
Old 31st January 2012, 08:53   #23
JohanSebastian

Milkdrop/Kinect Effects

Progress!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWlmJUDP9As

I've been working on a VJ software application, which I am loosely calling "VJPro".

Last week I added a new capability to my software, which combines visual effects (using depth data from a Microsoft Kinect) with visuals from Milkdrop.

I tested it alongside a band by the name of Kirk Green last Sat night, and you can see the results in the above posted video on youtube.

A tip of the hat to Nitorami, who has been kind enough to provide several totally AWESOME MD presets (available elsewhere on this forum). Good job man!

Johan
Old 1st February 2012, 02:58   #24
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Very nice work, not only in development of the program, but also in finding a great way to use it!

Old 17th May 2013, 15:19   #25
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

We've updated the open-source package. You can view the announcement here -
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=361484
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 05:02   #26
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'd be interested if some people will mess with it enough to rebuild interest in Winamp in general. Personally the number 1 reason I still use Winamp regularly is unsurpassed visualization quality, both from MD2 and AVS. Not much development has been going on as far as I can tell, and yet these two programs seem to still be the best in my opinion. I really hope some people with the right skills get a hold of this and open new doors with it.

Thank you to everyone who was able to make this happen.

I can't speak for anyone but myself here, but there have to be others out there like me but just aren't on the forums: Winamp visualizations are very important de-stressors in my life and have been very valuable to me for a long time. It just amazes me that more people aren't involved in both the creation and consumption of them.

Old 20th May 2013, 05:30   #27
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I don't think, that I would be a very good developer, but I am a very good consumer...
I love Milkdrop 2 very much. When I played "Love Is Beautiful" from The Timewriter in Winamp the first time and I tried the visualization, that night had changed my life forever. Mostly I enjoy very good Deep House directly from the websites via the URL "linein://" in Full HD. And I know, what a dance club with a video-projector and a very large screen needs...
You are right, Ted, we need people now with the right skills, and I also hope, that new doors will be opened some day...
Thank You for Milkdrop 2. Keep up Your good work!!!...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 22:41   #28
mfbscs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Not much development has been going on as far as I can tell, and yet these two programs seem to still be the best in my opinion.

I can't speak for anyone but myself here, but there have to be others out there like me but just aren't on the forums: Winamp visualizations are very important de-stressors in my life and have been very valuable to me for a long time. It just amazes me that more people aren't involved in both the creation and consumption of them.
I concur with you 100%. It amazes me how great MD was so long ago and continues to be one of the best, if not the best. And it's free!

I am a developer, and will eventually get around to looking through the MD2 source. I doubt I can really improve on it, but will at least learn it for the sake of learning.

I've recently discovered vsxu and Plane9 and plan to examine them thoroughly.
mfbscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 00:02   #29
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Is funny how technology has gone on a "fashion direction" now instead of on a "evolution" one.. people don´t usually notice it, but the software and technology developed NOW for PCs is still YEARS ahead of whatever mobile OSes can do now..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop