Old 23rd January 2009, 14:09   #241
jimpark

I only see one version of the UAC.dll in the UAC plugin package. UAC will need to be built linking to the Unicode NSIS library using the Unicode string NSIS stack.

Unicode NSIS advocate -- http://www.scratchpaper.com for latest build and source.
jimpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:58   #242
Anders

v0.0.10a is not the latest version (and like Jim said, you need to recompile for use with nsis unicode)

I just tested the UAC RealWorld example and it worked fine (XP SP2 (non admin), NSISU 2.42.1)

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 07:25   #243
30er

....nsis.sourceforge.net/UAC_plug-in....

i see u updated that page anders

last week it showed v0.0.10a

can u tell me how i can convert your UAC.dll to unicode build?

sorry im noob in building dlls

would be nice if u can put both dlls in your UAC.zip Anders

or offer a unicode version

that would be veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery nice
30er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 07:36   #244
Anders

yeah I updated the page, but v0.0.11 has been on stashbox for months. To build the unicode version, just make sure UNICODE is defined (remove the comment in uac.h, or set the define in the project options)

I am planning to include the unicode version in the "official" package, I just need to automate the build

Old 27th January 2009, 07:50   #245
30er

ok thx for your help

pls tell us than if u have done your new release with the unicode build included
30er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 21:53   #246
jimpark

I just released 2.42.3 which has support for UTF-8 with and without a BOM for all the NSI, NSH, and license files. Enjoy.

Unicode NSIS advocate -- http://www.scratchpaper.com for latest build and source.
Old 1st February 2009, 00:47   #247
pabs

What variable should be used in the .nsi/.nsh files? !ifdef NSIS_UNICODE? I'd like to commit the needed changes to the .nsh files that need to be different between Unicode and ANSI builds.

PS: could you please post future versions as a patch against latest SVN rather than against the latest release?

bye,
pabs
pabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 07:53   #248
pabs

I also think that the changes to the plugins and makensisw code could be committed now since we don't yet compile with _UNICODE defined. Would that be OK kichik?

I note you use nsis_tchar.h instead of the Win32 tchar.h, why is that?

No need to add your name to every file, just credits.but is enough.

I notice you add some function documentation, please split stuff unrelated to the Unicode changes into other patches, so we can commit them earlier.

In some cases you comment out string definitions or code and add new ones afterwards, please just replace the old ones with new ones.

Please remove the ANSI/Unicode dirs and convert the files in the Unicode ones to UTF-8 without a BOM and have them replace the current ANSI files. Please also remove the related changes to the SConsripts.

I'm unsure about the changes to the cross-platform tools, on Linux at least, we just use UTF-8 everywhere.

Please don't refactor functions or add comments in the Unicode patch, but instead create a separate patch so we can commit that earlier.

Best to not remove existing comments or change whitespace either, thats another change that is unrelated to the Unicode stuff.

TypeLib.cpp seems to use PopStringW, doesn't it need to work in ANSI mode too?

Don't need to add comments like // reviewed for unicode support.

Don't need to add .aps files, ascii2utf16.py, Visual Studio 2008 directory, create_header.py, header-unicode.pdn, *.bat, zipsource.pl, modify_copyright.pl etc

Docs don't need to link to the unicode-nsis website.

s/th ANSI/the ANSI/ in intro.but

history.but doesn't need to be changed.

Scons directory should be named SCons.

Why the MSVS_VERSION change in mstoolkit.py?

2.42.3 fails to build under Debian, some of the errors:

code:

Using GNU tools configuration
In file included from Contrib/Library/LibraryLocal/LibraryLocal.cpp:11:
Contrib/Library/LibraryLocal/../../../Source/tstring.h:24:21: error: windows.h: No such file or directory
In file included from Contrib/Library/LibraryLocal/LibraryLocal.cpp:10:
Contrib/Library/LibraryLocal/../../../Source/Platform.h:692: error: 'TCHAR' does not name a type
scons: *** [build/debug/Library/LibraryLocal/LibraryLocal.o] Error 1

code:

In file included from Source/manifest.h:22,
from Source/build.h:30,
from Source/build.cpp:26:
Source/tstring.h:24:21: error: windows.h: No such file or directory
In file included from Source/build.h:22,
from Source/build.cpp:26:
Source/strlist.h: In member function 'int SortedStringListND<T>::find(const TCHAR*, int, int, int, int*)':
Source/strlist.h:377: error: there are no arguments to '_stricmp' that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of '_stricmp' must be available
Source/strlist.h:377: error: (if you use '-fpermissive', G++ will accept your code, but allowing the use of an undeclared name is deprecated)
Source/strlist.h:385: error: there are no arguments to '_strnicmp' that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of '_strnicmp' must be available
In file included from Source/build.cpp:26:
Source/build.h: At global scope:
Source/build.h:99: error: 'TEXT' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp: In member function 'int CEXEBuild::add_string(const TCHAR*, int, WORD)':
Source/build.cpp:461: error: '_strdup' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp: In member function 'int CEXEBuild:reprocess_string(TCHAR*, const TCHAR*, WORD)':
Source/build.cpp:606: error: '_strdup' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp:615: warning: suggest parentheses around + or - in operand of &
Source/build.cpp:615: warning: suggest parentheses around + or - in operand of &
Source/build.cpp:647: error: '_strdup' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp: In member function 'int CEXEBuild::add_label(const TCHAR*)':
Source/build.cpp:963: error: '_strdup' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp: In member function 'int CEXEBuild::add_function(const TCHAR*)':
Source/build.cpp:1025: error: '_strnicmp' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp: In member function 'int CEXEBuild::add_section(const TCHAR*, const TCHAR*, int)':
Source/build.cpp:1181: error: '_strnicmp' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp:1187: error: '_stricmp' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp: In member function 'void CEXEBuild::warning(const TCHAR*, ...)':
Source/build.cpp:3253: error: '_vsnprintf' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp: In member function 'void CEXEBuild::warning_fl(const TCHAR*, ...)':
Source/build.cpp:3274: error: '_vsnprintf' was not declared in this scope
Source/build.cpp: In member function 'void CEXEBuild::ERROR_MSG(const TCHAR*, ...) const':
Source/build.cpp:3298: error: '_vsnprintf' was not declared in this scope
Source/strlist.h: In member function 'int SortedStringListND<T>::find(const TCHAR*, int, int, int, int*) [with T = uservarstring]':
Source/uservars.h:76: instantiated from here
Source/strlist.h:377: error: '_stricmp' was not declared in this scope
Source/strlist.h:385: error: '_strnicmp' was not declared in this scope
scons: *** [build/debug/makensis/build.o] Error 1

bye,
pabs

Last edited by pabs; 1st February 2009 at 09:23.
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:26   #249
jimpark

Pabs, I can see how without knowing the motivations for the changes I made, you might think I'm an ego maniac. For example:

Quote:
No need to add your name to every file, just credits.but is enough.
Quote:
Don't need to add comments like // reviewed for unicode support.
I used a Perl script to keep status on what files I've modified and which ones still need to be reviewed. That string with my name in it is what the script looks for -- it was my own sign off that the file was finished. It was natural to use my name in such a comment. Those comments are still useful for me. I'm not removing the comments. But when they get into the official release, feel free to purge the comments.

Quote:
Don't need to add .aps files, ascii2utf16.py, Visual Studio 2008 directory, create_header.py, header-unicode.pdn, *.bat, zipsource.pl, modify_copyright.pl etc
They are useful for me. Most of these scripts are helper scripts. If they are not useful for you, don't include them in your build.

Quote:
Docs don't need to link to the unicode-nsis website.
If my stuff doesn't link to the unicode-nsis website, what will? My site is the only place to get the Unicode source and build at the moment.

Quote:
history.but doesn't need to be changed.
Ah, but it should have been changed even more. It should be kept up to date with all the changes I've made and features I've added on top of what's happened in the official build. I've just been too lazy to keep it up to date.

Quote:
Best to not remove existing comments or change whitespace either, thats another change that is unrelated to the Unicode stuff.
I found that the files were inconsistent. Some were saved as DOS text files, others Unix style files. Same with white space. I just made them consistent because I use one text editor and me touching the file made the diffs too different. Again, it's a change I made to make updating the build with the changes of the official release easier.

Quote:
Please don't refactor functions or add comments in the Unicode patch, but instead create a separate patch so we can commit that earlier.
You are just teasing me with future promises. I refactor when my engineering sensibilities says I should. (It's probably what happens when you work on something by yourself for 2 years.) Personally, I think more refactoring and restructuring would do the source code good. But again, I do this so it would help me to continue to update the build.

Quote:
Why the MSVS_VERSION change in mstoolkit.py?
I made the change to be able to build on MSVS 2005 and later MSVS 2008.

Quote:
2.42.3 fails to build under Debian, some of the errors:
Sorry, I don't cross build on Debian. It's difficult enough to get this working on MSVS and update the code every release all by myself. So if you'd like to figure it out and let me know what needs to be changed, I'd appreciate it.

Old 2nd February 2009, 12:10   #250
DrO

having been reading through this thread for some time, have to say that how jim is running the unicode package pretty much works fine as far as end-users are concerned and that really is the main thing overall. yes it'd be nice as pabs says to have patches, etc but considering the work done and other things that need to be changed there's not much point until it is decided for definite how things are going to go as an official unicode nsis package.

with the thing about refactoring, i know kichik has done loads of that over the process of the nsis project so there's no real issue with it being done in a branched version of the code (as this ultimately is) and is no more different than the noobjs branch or the one justin did a few months back - is good to try things out especially in a side-project before/if it is rolled out into the main distro.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:25   #251
pabs

The list was merely a bunch of things I thought that should be changed before including the Unicode stuff in trunk and releasing it as part of NSIS officially. I do understand you made those changes because they were useful as part of a separate branch though. I certainly didn't take you for an ego maniac Jim

I'd like to start the merge of the patch with the changes to the plugins, then some of the changes to the include scripts and examples. These changes should have zero impact on the current ANSI version of NSIS (because _UNICODE isn't defined anywhere yet) and will make the diff afterwards much smaller and easier to review. I'd like to hear some devs opinions on that first though, kichik, anders etc?

After that, I'm not sure what was decided what the Unicode support should look like.

The Debian build failure looks like some of the cross-platform code is trying to include windows.h through tchar.h/tstring.h, which obviously fails on non-Windows platforms. Not sure where to start on fixing that though.

bye,
pabs
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:42   #252
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

My offer of developing this as a branch on the main SVN still stands. This will allow for better logging so there will not be any need for comments on changed code. It will also be much easier to back port refactored code to trunk.

As for modifying code in the plug-ins that won't affect the ANSI build, I wanted to keep that for later because I feel we're going to need some kind of nchar_t, at the very least in makensis, so it'd all go smoothly on all four flavors of win32/posix and ansi/unicode mix. Paul's problems with tchar.h are part of what I want to avoid.

NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
kichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:06   #253
jimpark

I'm thankful for the offer but I think you have the roles reversed. I'm offering you my modifications to enable Unicode support in NSIS. I've been offering it to you for a year and a half. So I would be more thankful if you said that you will take the code and create a branch that you and others in the development team will henceforth maintain as being an official build of NSIS. Then I can be out of the picture knowing that NSIS will officially support Unicode and in good hands. And you can do whatever you'd like with it.

So as Pabs mentioned, I think I've done quite a bit to make it as easy as possible for you to take it and run with it. With UTF-8 support, most of the scripts don't even need to be converted to anything. Just a dab of !ifdefs in there to make sure things are calling the right API. But as long as this does not become part of the official NSIS releases maintained by the official team, as long as I have a personal need for it, I will have to maintain my fork as long as I can. To that end, I will do whatever is necessary to make that task easier for me even if it means offending some sensibilities of the official developers.

So to be absolutely brunt: Take the code, do what you like with it. If you don't plan on working on it, then you forfeit the right to complain about things that don't affect you.

But I sincerely hope you take it.

Old 3rd February 2009, 10:52   #254
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

I'm not offended. I'm very grateful you keep maintaining this branch. I'm simply suggesting a method that would make it easier for the both of us. It'll be easier for me to track changes, back port non-Unicode related changes and insert my own changes to the Unicode branch that can later help with the merge. It will be easier for you to to keep a log of changes, affect the trunk where needed and make new version merges easier. Overall, I think it'll save time for the both of us and benefit the community.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:40   #255
jimpark

Okay, I think that would be meeting in the middle. So how do we proceed? Does this mean taking the most updated source I've got and committing it to the official repository as a fork? And then we all work with that? Or does it mean, I have to do another month of work so that it's in the form of patches to the current official source code? If it's the latter, I don't think I've got the time and resources to do that.

Old 3rd February 2009, 21:15   #256
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

I give you access to SVN, you open a branch and commit your changes in any way you like.

Old 4th February 2009, 14:33   #257
jimpark

Sure. Let's do it.

Old 23rd February 2009, 09:47   #258
pabs

SVN already contains a UNICODE branch from SVN that hasn't been updated in 2 years, perhaps that should be deleted and a new one created?

bye,
pabs
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:02   #259
jimpark

I don't know about deleting it but the plan is to add a new one. I've been busy again so I haven't looked at the newest release. My plan is to check the Unicode source in once the code is updated to the current release of NSIS.

Old 24th February 2009, 07:29   #260
pabs

Sounds good.

bye,
pabs
Old 27th February 2009, 07:37   #261
akopts

variables

How can I make variables in Unicode NSIS also store Unicode stuff? Is there any special declaration required for this?
Here is the example code:

code:

var StorageDir
!define MUI_DIRECTORYPAGE_VARIABLE $StorageDir
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_DIRECTORY

section
fileOpen $0 "$INSTDIR\bin\StorageDir.bat" w
fileWrite $0 $StorageDir
fileClose $0
sectionEnd

When StorageDir with a non-ASCII name is selected by the user, its value is replaced by question marks later in the script, and question marks are placed to the output file. Is there a way to make it work? I tried recode the script to UTF8 and UTF16LE, does not help.

Thanks,
Alex
akopts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 13:11   #262
jimpark

Use FileWriteUTF16LE to write Unicode text to the file.

Old 27th February 2009, 14:23   #263
akopts

Awesome! What about matching strings? I need to replace a string in a file, and I am using a solution from
http://<br /> http://nsis.sourcefor...ext_File<br />:

code:

StrCmp $2 "sometring$\r$\n" 0 +2
StrCpy $2 "$storageDir$\r$\n"

How do I match end of line there?

I think at least a short list of these new commands deserves a place in the FAQ...
Old 27th February 2009, 15:19   #264
akopts

I figured it out by splitting file to chunks.

But it turns out UTF-16LE would not work for me, I need output file in UTF-8. There is an NSIS plugin which converts between ASCII and various Unicodes, but not between UTF-16 and UTF-8. Is there a way to make it work without using an external converter?
Old 27th February 2009, 17:13   #265
jimpark

Currently, there is no way to do it without a plugin or additional functionality written to the NSIS exehead. We currently only support the default Unicode encoding of Windows which is UTF16LE.

Old 27th February 2009, 17:17   #266
Anders

you can call WideCharToMultiByte with the system plugin, CP_UTF8 is supported on XP and later IIRC

Old 27th February 2009, 20:08   #267
jimpark

Anders is right but unfortunately, all the strings are actually stored as UTF16LE internally. And when FileWrite is called, I do an internally UTF16 to ANSI conversion to write it out. So after the conversion, you can't just use FileOpen and FileWrite to write out this new text. You would have to use the System plugin to open your own file and then write out the new UTF8 buffer you just created using the Windows API yourself.

Old 27th February 2009, 20:51   #268
Anders

there should really be a FileWrite /ascii ... flag or something like that

Old 2nd March 2009, 08:09   #269
AxelMock

Error compiling example

Quote:
Originally posted by jimpark
I just released 2.42.3 which has support for UTF-8 with and without a BOM for all the NSI, NSH, and license files. Enjoy.
Hi Jim,

I'm playing around with your Unicode build. Nice work.
While trying to compile all the examples, compilation of gfx.nsi leads to an exception upon the first !insertmacro BIMAGE....

Compilation using ANSI-NSIS V2.41 works, although the images are weirdly stretched.
AxelMock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:34   #270
AxelMock

New Unicode.dll

Quote:
Originally posted by akopts
I need output file in UTF-8. There is an NSIS plugin which converts between ASCII and various Unicodes, but not between UTF-16 and UTF-8.
Since I had to cope with the Unicode.dll last week, I added the missing routine FileUnicode2UTF8 to Unicode.dll.

int WideCharToMultiByte(
__in UINT CodePage,
__in DWORD dwFlags,
__in LPCWSTR lpWideCharStr,
__in int cchWideChar,
__out LPSTR lpMultiByteStr,
__in int cbMultiByte,
__in LPCSTR lpDefaultChar,
__out LPBOOL lpUsedDefaultChar
);

According to Microsoft's documentation WideChar2MultiByte should return the BufferSize needed if parameter cbMultiByte is 0, i always got 0.

So to convert a file to UTF-8 I make the buffer as large as the inputfile (Unicode-16) and if the function returns "ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER" I reallocate the buffer with double the size and repeat.

I hope It will be of use.
Axel
Attached Files
File Type: zip unicode_v1.1.zip (9.6 KB, 863 views)
AxelMock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:30   #271
jimpark

Thanks for reporting the bug, AxelMock. I've found the problem and with a few other fixes, I've bundled it up as 2.42.4 which is now available on my site. I have yet to work on the 2.43 version though.

Old 2nd March 2009, 15:34   #272
akopts

Thanks for the advices! What I ended up doing though was writing a small Java program to do the conversion and substitution. Since I am installing Java software, Java is always available on the system...
Old 17th March 2009, 10:36   #273
tolan

How can I disable this output from makensis.exe?
----
File 'C:\Program Files\NSIS\Unicode\nsisconf.nsh' has a BOM marked as UTF-16LE.
Opening 'C:\Program Files\NSIS\Unicode\nsisconf.nsh' as UTF-16LE.
Opening 'C:\Users\tolan.ALAWAR\AppData\Roaming\nsisconf.nsh' as UTF-16LE.
File 'bigtest.nsi' has a BOM marked as UTF-16LE.
Opening 'bigtest.nsi' as UTF-16LE.
----
tolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 10:48   #274
Anders

Why is that output a problem?

Old 18th March 2009, 08:16   #275
tolan

I'm employing home brewed make_installer script to make installer. One thing it does it checks NSIS output for errors with /V1 option. If there is something - script grabs it and displays it to user in a nice MessageBox with big red buttons.

Sure, I can check for errors other ways.

However it seems weird to me to see even /V0 option ignored.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:00   #276
jimpark

Well, I considered it necessary to know what you were getting. makensis.exe will now pretty much read anything so without that message, you won't know what sort of encoding was used. If everybody feels that /V0 and /V1 should remove these messages, it can be done.

As for your script, you can probably grep for "Error:" or "error" and get your error messages.

Old 18th March 2009, 12:03   #277
tolan

I think those messages are OK for /V3 or /V2. No need to completely remove them.
Old 18th March 2009, 14:06   #278
demiller9

MakeNSIS.exe returns an exit code that can be used to determine if there were errors. You can check it with batch or vbscript commands (whichever way you run makensis).

I do my builds with /V3 and check the exit code for 0.

Don
demiller9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 15:01   #279
jimpark

I believe some messages are already printed regardless of your verbose level. So how do you deal with those tolan?

Old 18th March 2009, 22:03   #280
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

jimpark, such cases should be reported as bugs. Everything makensis prints should be controlled by the verbosity level. As for those specific messages, I believe SCRIPT_MSG would be best.

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion