Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Old 21st October 2010, 13:05   #1
kokein

Winamp Android features/bugs discussion thread

[Edit > Koopa]

Because of the big amount of feedback related to Android support, we've decided to create a discussion thread, where all users can report bugs, ask for technical support or make feature requests.

If you report a bug or need technical support, always provide us the required infos.
Invalid or lame bug reports will be ignored.

The exiting threads related to Android feedback will be merged into this sticky thread, it's more easy for the devs to look into one sticky thread, instead of tons of threads spread all over the forums

EDIT #2

There is now also a separate Winamp For Android forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----Original Post-----

Hi All!
Winamp for Android - GREAT JOB

...but, can You add "play folder", or "add files from folder"?
Non of android apps cant do this, maby Winamp will be the first one, it will be great!

Keep droiding
kokein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 15:28   #2
sakowitz

oh thank you for putting in "play all" under artist name. i can't tell you how annoying that is. i really have to waste my time creating playlists for each artist i know have a bunch of albums. i don't know how they missed that.

so is there going to be video support in this? i just installed, still looking around.
sakowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 15:46   #3
androidtopp

Gapless playback?

For me, unless a media player has gapless playback it's a non-starter. The Media Player included with my phone (Tmo Vibrant) is terrible, so I was excited to see Winamp for Android, but I've already uninstalled it due to the lack of gapless. Back to the iPod for now.

Maybe I'm naive, but is gapless playback really hard to implement? It seems like it's missing from the majority of software/hardware players...so maybe it's way more difficult than I would image to make it work properly.

And, of course, if I'm an idiot and gapless is supported, but there's a requirement that must be met, or an option to be toggled on, let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew
androidtopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 16:53   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

As far as I know, gapless playback only will work if:

a. the MP3 decoder supports it
b. the files were encoded with LAME, because that's the only encoder, which adds Gapless Playback informations
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 16:58   #5
jHead

I want the wi-fi sync/transfer to save the transferred files to the "external" SD-card (29 GB free), not on the "internal" SD-card (5.5 GB free).
This should be an option under settings, I think. I can't find any such option, so I assume it's not there (yet?).
jHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 17:47   #6
DrO

what you're all wanting (which is being repeated elsewhere) basically requires a custom media player to do it instead of piggy-backing on the android's media player apis and that's not going to be a simple thing to produce.

so it may happen or it may not but it's known by those higher up what is wanted and what would be needed to be done but you have to remember that the main desktop client is still the prime focus of development.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 18:22   #7
amirdt

Selecting a media folder on the Android version

hello,

With the Winamp Android version, is it possible to select (configure) the root folder in which Winamp should look for the music files?

It seems that currently Winamp plays all media files including ringtones, etc.

Sorry if it was asked before, I searched but couldn't find an answer if configuring the root folder is possible...

Edit: Also when syncing (using WiFi, Winamp 5.59 Public Beta on the PC) it will be very usefull if the sync will be into the above configured root folder (e.g. sdcard/music ) and not all over the sdcard.

Last edited by amirdt; 21st October 2010 at 18:28. Reason: added comment about sync
amirdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 18:26   #8
androidtopp

Koopa, that's good to know. I know my MP3s are encoded with LAME (since I ripped them all), and I am assuming they include the correct gapless info, since they do play back "correctly" on some devices.

I'll watch this space for more. Like I said, the "factory" player with my phone is horrific, so I'm looking for a way to replace the iPod/phone combo with a single device.
androidtopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 18:33   #9
robollama

Can't sync Android phone app with desktop Winamp

I've updated Winamp to v5.59, and downloaded the winamp app on android. However, when I right click devices and do discovery, nothing happens. I also have wifi-syncing enabled on the app and they are both using the same wifi network. Any help??
robollama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 18:56   #10
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Android features/bugs discussion thread

Because of the big amount of feedback related to Android support, we've decided to create a discussion thread, where all users can report bugs, ask for technical support or make feature requests.

If you report a bug or need technical support, always provide us the required infos.
Invalid or lame bug reports will be ignored.

The exiting threads related to Android feedback will be merged into this sticky thread, it's more easy for the devs to look into one sticky thread, instead of tons of threads spread all over the forums.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 19:28   #11
UT4Life

Looks like Last.fm support is broken. Pausing isn't happening on last.fm. It says listening now forever.

The Android app isn't broadcasting "fm.last.android.playbackpaused" properly, would be my guess.
http://github.com/c99koder/lastfm-an...bler-interface

Please fix this.

Cheers!
UT4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 19:35   #12
Patch

It's been a while ("You last visited: 25th May 2005") but I needed come back here just give you guys props for the Android player. I discovered it today and from what I've seen so far, you're really bringing back great memories of the quality software you guys wrote back in the day.

Looking forward to see where this goes, but please keep it light weight and don't over do it with features!

I'll try to provide some better feedback after using the application for a while, but really just wanted to say thanks and keep up the great work!
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 19:39   #13
Trocks797

The new Android Beta crashes upon setup after choosing skin. I have attached the report.zip.

Please include all relevant Winamp & System specs, including:
-A List of Plugins: NONE
-PC or Motherboard make/model: GATEWAY FS6801
-CPU & RAM: INTEL CORE I7 950 @ 3.2GHZ, 12GM DDR3 RAM
-Sound card or chip: STANDARD 7-CHANNEL CARD
-Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 295
-Windows OS (including Service Pack, eg. WinXP sp2): VISTA ULTIMATE BUILD 6002 & SVC PACK 2
-DirectX version: 11
-Winamp version: 559_3033 BETA
-Confirmation of the Winamp installation type: FULL
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (40.0 KB, 562 views)
Trocks797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 20:21   #14
zombieneedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robollama View Post
I've updated Winamp to v5.59, and downloaded the winamp app on android. However, when I right click devices and do discovery, nothing happens. I also have wifi-syncing enabled on the app and they are both using the same wifi network. Any help??
Same thing happens to me. It is quite frustrating. My desktop is connected via Ethernet and my EVO is connected via wifi. But they are on the same LAN.
zombieneedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 20:23   #15
kustodian

-A List of Plugins: None 3rd party plugins
-PC or Motherboard: Gygabyte EP45-DS3R
-CPU & RAM: Inter E8400
-Sound card or chip: Creative X-Fi Titanium
-Videocard: GeForce GTX275
-Windows OS: Win7 x64
-DirectX version: DirectX 11
-Winamp version: 5.59 Build 303
-Installation type: Full

I also have HTC Desire with official Froyo 2.2.

I just wanted to report that I can't get the WiFi sync to work. I enabled it in the Winamp app, enable wireless (wireless connection works since I can send/receive files via ES File Explorer), right-click on the Devices and select Discover and it doesn't find the device?

I would also like to say that the player is awesome. I would suggest a few things:
  • Rename the Play Queue -> Now Playing (this will allow many more features with the queue similar like in the PC version)
  • Add an ability to queue tracks like on the PC version (so they get those small numbers besides them) and of course a simple play queue editor
  • Add an ability to sort now playing tracks by track name, artist, album, path...
  • Maybe ID3 editor, but that will probably overdo it ^_^

Keep up the good work this is already my default player now
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 20:43   #16
robollama

Quote:
Originally Posted by robollama View Post
also if it helps I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit
robollama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 21:03   #17
slipd

I have wifi sync setup and working great so far. Just one thing, when I transfer a playlist, only the music gets copied over. Is there a way to get the actual playlist to transfer over to the phone?

Also, we need a way to set a default music folder on the phone. Right now it copies everything to the root of the sd card.
slipd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 21:19   #18
zombieneedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipd View Post
I have wifi sync setup and working great so far.
How did you get it working?
zombieneedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 21:30   #19
hvihavai

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirdt View Post
hello,
it seems that currently winamp plays all media files including ringtones, etc.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirdt View Post
edit: Also when syncing (using wifi, winamp 5.59 public beta on the pc) it will be very usefull if the sync will be into the above configured root folder (e.g. Sdcard/music ) and not all over the sdcard.
+1
hvihavai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 21:52   #20
kearnemj

any possibility / plans of implementing folder structure options when syncing over wi-fi?
Old 21st October 2010, 21:55   #21
slipd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieneedo View Post
How did you get it working?
Make sure you start winamp on the phone when you select Discover...
slipd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 22:38   #22
RjBass

Keeps crashing

I just downloaded the 5.59 beta and installed it. I was looking forward to the Android sync option. However when I try to start it, it just crashes. I am running Win 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Rj
RjBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 22:46   #23
RjBass

Nevermind I fixed it. Thanks for the post's about chaning the Reg value to 0.
RjBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 23:34   #24
thedicemaster

amirdt: that's because of how media files are handled by android.
on startup and when mounting an sdcard(inserting sdcard or disconnecting from PC)android makes a list of all music files on your sdcard.
when you open a music player, android presents it with this list.
it is possible to exclude the content of specific folders from being listed by placing a file named .nomedia in it, but i don't recommend doing so because you won't be able to set ringtones from those folders either.

now a feature request from me: some more widgets!
most media players come with widgets of different sizes(4x1, 2x2, 4x2, 4x3, 4x4)
personally i'd like to see a widget that focusses less on song info(not everyone wants album art), and more on (big) buttons(for an example, look at the 4x1 widget in grooveshark mobile)

i think you made a nice interface, and a great playlist management system though.
thedicemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 23:50   #25
murdoc158

Got my Droid X with 2.2 recognized via wifi, but it always wants to sync my entire library, not just my playlists. I do not have an Advanced tab under preferences so I cannot specify where on my SD card to sync the songs. Autofill says it will transfer 0 songs. Is there something that I'm missing?
murdoc158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 23:57   #26
DMeister_01

Winamp w/ Android

Same problems as others have listed:

Cannot get device to connect over USB, WiFi works fine.

Needs path info for copy. Root folder copy is NO GOOD.

Copy album art jpgs with music files.
DMeister_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:08   #27
wolrah

Installed the beta and the Android app, my Evo shows up just fine and I can play media off it. Unfortunately, every time I try to copy anything to it I get "Failed" with no useful error information. The SD card has plenty of space and works just fine to copy to from my PC if plugged in, but Winamp can't seem to write to it over WiFi.
wolrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:14   #28
disgustipated

ive found that if you right click and disconnect on the device the wifiwinamp service continues to run but if you try to scan from the desktop again it will not find the phone. I will post a logcat later

also, the autofill seems to be grabbing all of my tracks in alphabetic order, not random full albums., and yes im using autofill and not sync

this new wireless sync and winamp music player is absolutely fantastic. you dont understand how amazing this integration is and how happy it has made me. the only thing left to let me die happy is a play count sync from the device back to my desktop and a star rating option on the phone.

i am using a rooted nexus one and i am pretty familiar with android so if you need anything specific for me to try anything let me know.

edit: yes please make the destination folder on the handset configurable, i do love me a clean sdcard

Last edited by disgustipated; 22nd October 2010 at 01:44.
disgustipated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:50   #29
kustodian

There is a bug when searching for media, it doesn't show album art in the search results.

A few more suggestions:
  • As other suggested put an option to select the music folder, so it doesn't show audio files from the SD
  • When transcoding tracks to the Android phone (and transcoding in general) make the cover art to be copied with the rest of the tags. For instance if I have an mp3 file with an embedded cover image, when I convert it to m4a, it copies all the ID3 fields, except the cover art. It would be awesome if the desktop client can do this.
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:22   #30
lompat

Crash during installation

Was trying to install but crash when it associate the file type, attached the crash report
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (40.1 KB, 542 views)
lompat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:24   #31
MeGaZiPP

I had started my own thread about my bug find for the android version but someone moved it to the wrong forum. So I will paste what I wrote in here:

I thought I would kick off my very first post with a bug that I found in the new Android App. I know this is still in beta, so hopefully this bug will get fixed in future updates. I have the Samsung Captivate running Android 2.1. I am using Advanced Task killer to ensure no apps are running when I am not using the phone.

With the corded headset attached to my phone and no apps running, I am talking on the phone to someone. Normally when I hang up I hit the little button on the cord. With the new app installed, if I hit the button, instead of the phone hanging up, it starts up winamp and begins playing what ever my last song was, I also no longer hear who I was talking to and they are still connected. Once I pause the music, the phone call resumes. The only fix I have to use till it is updated is to go into the settings in winamp and turn off the headset controls. The phone call should always take priority over the music. I have not tested whether the music will pause when a call comes in. I will look at that later.

Other than this bug, I really like the app. I use the desktop app all the time and it is great that they have made a android one. Let me know if you have ran into the same problem.
MeGaZiPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:33   #32
Nasty64

This is terrific! I'd like to second a couple of the suggestions above:

- We need a way to tell Winamp to put the music files into a directory on the Android's SD card rather than in the root directory.
- We need to be able to tell Winamp to play music from the music directory rather than from any directory (so it doesn't play ringtones, etc).

Thanks guys! This is great.
Nasty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:05   #33
amirdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedicemaster View Post
amirdt: that's because of how media files are handled by android.
on startup and when mounting an sdcard(inserting sdcard or disconnecting from PC)android makes a list of all music files on your sdcard.
when you open a music player, android presents it with this list.
All I can say is that other media players have that possibility, so I guess it is possible.

For example:
Meri dian, Options button->Preferences->General->Media Folders
Lithium Music, Options button->Settings -> Restrict SD-card content to: [ ]
Mixzing, Options button->Settings -> Select Music Folders

I guess when the music player is started, and it gets the list from the Android system, the player can loop on the list, and filter out files that do not reside in the configured root folder...

Note that some music players enable the selection of multiple root folders, I think that selection of one is more than enough, and it will also resolve the issue of setting a target sync folder.
amirdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 06:47   #34
Papa.Smurf

Really glad to see this released as iv always used winamp to sync to my android phone.

Both releases seem to work pretty well so far, aside from one thing. Just like in the earlier releases of winamp, the playlist sync is still broken. I have selected to syn only a single playlist of ~400 songs in preferences, though when I click "sync" Winamp goes ahead and tries to sync all ~4000 songs in my library to my phone.

Seeing as how I don't have a 55gb memory card this is quite annoying. If this is due to my own error please let me know otherwise it would be really great if you could fix this.
Papa.Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:49   #35
mkrstf

I miss one feature from all players: "Enqueue as next track"
I'm very happy that you implemented the enqueue to (the end of) playlist feature and also that there is a button to show all songs from the current songs' album so please never remove this feature

Enqueue next would be very useful when you want to queue a song just after the now playing one. If there's a chance please add it to the menu (where you can Play, Enqueue, Add to playlist, Use as ringtone, Delete). I hope I don't ask for too much.

Thank you in advance
mkrstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:49   #36
murdoc158

Anyone else not getting artwork pushed? I synced via USB and most (not all) my artwork was missing. Winamp, Mixzing, Stock 2.2 Music player all confirm no artwork even though it was saved to each individual .mp3 file.

As others have said, playlist sync is broken, autofill says it will sync zero (0) songs, and SD card needs better folder management from within the app itself.
murdoc158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:54   #37
thedicemaster

amirdt: those are the few music apps that take the list, shred it to pieces, burn it, and then run their own check for music files.
kinda double, since it means your phone will be spending twice as much time looking for media files.
thedicemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:14   #38
bharathm5

Send a message via AIM to bharathm5
Please add the share option...

Hi,

While playing song, can u please add share option to player. so that i can share the song file to my friends through bluetooth or sharing it by any other means....
bharathm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:16   #39
JohnEightyOne

2 things i've noticed so far on my HTC Incredible (2.2)

with "Enable auto-mount" selected, it will try to mount my SD card (thus, making it unavailable..) when i plug my phone into a charging only usb plug (not to a PC)..

ok.. maybe one.. because i could have SWORN that from the "lock screen" i hit the home softbutton, and it went to my home screen ... but i can't seem to duplicate that now.. so.. nevermind on this one..
JohnEightyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:26   #40
Jorsher

FLAC playback would be awesome...
Jorsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Tags
add, android, files, folder