Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Old 22nd October 2010, 14:51   #41
nycebo

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedicemaster View Post
now a feature request from me: some more widgets!
most media players come with widgets of different sizes(4x1, 2x2, 4x2, 4x3, 4x4)
personally i'd like to see a widget that focusses less on song info(not everyone wants album art), and more on (big) buttons(for an example, look at the 4x1 widget in grooveshark mobile)
I agree. The current widget looks terrible. It's enormous and has a lot of dead space. Personally, I love 2x2 and then 4x1 best, both with album art in the widget AND last/next track buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty64 View Post
We need to be able to tell Winamp to play music from the music directory rather than from any directory (so it doesn't play ringtones, etc).
Completely agree with this request mentioned numerous times on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrstf View Post
I miss one feature from all players: "Enqueue as next track"
I'm very happy that you implemented the enqueue to (the end of) playlist feature and also that there is a button to show all songs from the current songs' album so please never remove this feature

Enqueue next would be very useful when you want to queue a song just after the now playing one. If there's a chance please add it to the menu (where you can Play, Enqueue, Add to playlist, Use as ringtone, Delete). I hope I don't ask for too much.
Wholeheartedly agree here also.

Next, and onto my own comments: I think the now playing screen is pretty weak. The album art is very small in the top third of the screen. Alas, the now playing details in the middle third is an enormous waste of space. It could be a LOT smaller and offer the album art or a visualization (not my preference, but some like visualizations) a lost more space to fill out the screen.

It would be great if you added a 'genre' section as well. Some players have this (PlayerPro) and it's fantastic. Please add in a future release if possible.

The artist icon (microphone) on the now playing screen looks more like a voice recorder button. I guess I could get used to it after a while but it wasn't so intuitive on first seeing it. Maybe the head and shoulders icon from other media players would be more intuitive? Then again, your current button may be from your desktop application.

Just a comment on the lock screen: it's great. One of the better music control lock screens offered. Well done. But, it would all the better if it could integrate 'into' the existing lock screen so the slider worked right away rather than having to press a button (onscreen or the back/home buttons) to gain access to the slider.

Thanks for the read.

Last edited by nycebo; 22nd October 2010 at 15:05. Reason: additional request
nycebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:11   #42
Blacksyn

Posted in the wrong spot
Blacksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:19   #43
kustodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycebo View Post
The artist icon (microphone) on the now playing screen looks more like a voice recorder button. I guess I could get used to it after a while but it wasn't so intuitive on first seeing it. Maybe the head and shoulders icon from other media players would be more intuitive? Then again, your current button may be from your desktop application.
I absolutely agree with this one. When I first clicked on this icon I thought that it would do something with a mic/speaker, I had no idea it showed tracks artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycebo View Post
Just a comment on the lock screen: it's great. One of the better music control lock screens offered. Well done. But, it would all the better if it could integrate 'into' the existing lock screen so the slider worked right away rather than having to press a button (onscreen or the back/home buttons) to gain access to the slider.
Integrated lock screen with the slider would be great and I would also suggest that you make the cover art on it smaller, so it can fit on the screen whole.
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:27   #44
nycebo

By the way, I forgot to mention that I have a Droid X, which may be responsible for the oblong real estate usage on the now playing screen.
nycebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:49   #45
waterhand

Lock Screen Orientation

I noticed today that when the screen is locked and the phone is sideways, the album art and play buttons are still in portrait mode.

Also, having larger icons for those of us that drive while using Winamp would be nicer so we are not messing around with the phone too much.

Otherwise, again, I'm very happy.
waterhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:01   #46
letsgoflyers81

I have two requests for Winamp:

1. Graphic equalizer. MixZing has one and it really improves the sound of the music when configured correctly.

2. Download missing album art. MixZing has this one again so I don't need to worry if I don't have the album art.
letsgoflyers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 03:33   #47
Heartwire

I'd like to see support for .PLA playlist formats, as that is what they are converted to when you export playlists from winamp (PC) to your Android phone
Heartwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 06:05   #48
Belderan

I'm currently having issues with the widget showing the song currently playing. The widget functions perfects apart from showing the incorrect song. From my testing, it appears that it only occurs when a song with associated album art is playing. For example:

I have an enqueued set of albums, the first has album art, the second does not, the third does, the fourth does not. If I play the first song from the first album, the art loads fine, flicking through the queue causes the track titles to change normally (and the album art turns into the Winamp Llama on the switch to the 2nd album) but once I hit the first song of the third album, the widget fails to change song name or album art. When I hit the fourth album (no album art), the widget starts to work again.

So it seems that switching the album art makes the widget have a cry.

Aside from that bug, the app is awesome and has brought me back from using doubletwist and a cluster of random programs to help organise my music. Love it. I would like to see some different widget sizes out in future releases too.
Belderan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:05   #49
mynameisjon

Features needed:

*Selective Sync (I have over 60 GB of music. It's NOT gonna fit into a 8gb SD Card.
*Needs to go into a "Music" folder and mirror the heirachy thats in my PC.
*USB sync doesn't seem to work. Can't detect my phone over USB
mynameisjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:55   #50
Roxxor

Can you optimize Winamp also for QVGA resolution?
(Screenshot from Vodafone 845)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20101023_140735.png
Views:	735
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	47799  
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:49   #51
lanekw01

I'd like to report similar issues as above. I'm on the Samsung Vibrant (2.1 OS) and while the syncing does start with wifi mode if I tell it to, it is syncing all songs and not just the 3 playlists I have selected and my playlists are not going across. Also, the sync is not keeping the phone "awake" and the sync stops part way through. Then when I wake up the phone, it starts all over again.

Any suggestions on getting my actual playlists to sync so I can just play my workout and then recovery music? Thanks
lanekw01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:57   #52
lanekw01

I'd like to report similar issues as above. I'm on the Samsung Vibrant (2.1 OS) and while the syncing does start with wifi mode if I tell it to, it is syncing all songs and not just the 3 playlists I have selected and my playlists are not going across. Also, the sync is not keeping the phone "awake" and the sync stops part way through. Then when I wake up the phone, it starts all over again.

Any suggestions on getting my actual playlists to sync so I can just play my workout and then recovery music? Thanks
lanekw01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 16:39   #53
zombieneedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanekw01 View Post

Right click on the Device you're using and choose Properties. Under Sync you can scroll down on that window to check to only sync the playlists.
zombieneedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:58   #54
subliminalurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieneedo View Post
Right click on the Device you're using and choose Properties. Under Sync you can scroll down on that window to check to only sync the playlists.
Well, yeah, you certainly can check the box to only sync playlists. The problem is that Winamp ignores that setting and tries to sync the entire library anyway.

And, as has been pointed out, most people's music collection just ain't gonna fit on an 8GB sd card (which seems to be the largest that's easy to find in brick & mortar stores), particularly since the card won't be 100% dedicated to music. A smartphone is a multi-purpose device, not a dedicated mp3 player like an iPod. I need some of that 8GB for other things.
subliminalurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:06   #55
Wolf Schouten

I have done some testing on four different machines. Three of them with Windows 7 x64, one of them with Windows 7 x86. Those are all the machines I have access to at home.

Using Winamp 5.58 (stable) I am able to sync my Android device over USB.
Using Winamp 5.59 (beta) I am not able to sync my device over both USB and Wifi.

Windows recognizes my Android device as a flash drive when I connect it over USB to any of these machines. And I can connect to my Android device with FTP over wifi.

The Winamp sync function is (in my opinion) broken in the beta.
Wolf Schouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:30   #56
subliminalurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Schouten View Post
The Winamp sync function is (in my opinion) broken in the beta.
Which is unfortunate, since that's the only thing it really has going for it. Both MixZing and PowerAMP are far superior as music players. It's the syncing that Android is sorely lacking, and the only thing that made Winamp interesting.
subliminalurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:39   #57
minos

Wireless Sync

Same issue here: delete from device does not work.
Also: no 'refresh music on device' option: when I delete an album directly on the device (using a File Manager), the album stays on the list in Winamp until I restart the programme.

Winamp for Android: has crashed once, could use visualisation mode with larger album art. Wireless Sync is really a great feature!

HTC Legend (EU)
Windows 7
Winamp 5.59 beta
Latest Winamp for Android
Connecting via Wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelheim View Post
Windows 7
Nexus One 2.2
Winamp 5.59 beta
Latest Winamp for Android
Connecting via Wifi

Device found
Right-click album in device library
"Remove from Device (delete)"
Click OK to confirm
Deleting Tracks progress bar completes in about a second
Tracks are not deleted
minos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 19:52   #58
Bigtuna00

Quote:
Originally Posted by philfnyc View Post
I followed your directions but do not see any place where I can override the destination directory.

-Phil
Add another "vote" for this; need the Advanced tab for devices using Wifi sync so that we can set the Music root folder as well as the playlist folder.
Bigtuna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 20:08   #59
Stupifier
Major Dude

Winamp's power/clout with this App will undoubtedly lie with its Phone-2-PC connectivity and features around this connectivity. There are already a ridiculous amount of Android music players out there that do all sorts of neat things....but none (or very few) can say they are directly backed by developers of a Top Rated Desktop music player. Think about it? It is what makes this App special on the Android Market.....and why it is getting some really interesting chatter everywhere.

This simple fact is the unique edge that Android Winamp must exploit to its fullest. This means...as many of you have already said....Make sure the Sync feature works. It is your current selling point. All the little nuances and bugs around Winamp creating their 1st Android app can be easily addressed (the whole where to save directory thing....preventing ringtone plays, etc)....those issues are all common in an Android Beta music player.

Now the big picture. Looking into actual future features (not bug fixes or just obvious problem fixes)....primary focus should be on exploiting that unique edge Android Winamp discussed above.

Possible Features off the top of my head that do this are:

1. Expand Phone-2-PC Connectivity to more than just WiFi.....The Android community loves to connect to their stuff over the internet......wherever they are....work, car, etc. I will refer everyone to the thread link below for further reading/arguing on this point:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=323365

2. Controlling Desktop Winamp from your Phone is very nice...there are about 5 different apps currently on the Android market that do this and ONLY this...a couple cost money and are extremely robust in function (for example, aWinampRemote and Lazik).

3. Streaming capability. Listening to any song on your PC's library on-the-fly is great. Winamp Developers already have experience in this department with WinampRemote. Possibly merging WinampRemote functionality into this App (although a rather large request) may be worthwhile.

These are just a few ideas that come to mind. Of course, these features may not be at the top of the list....but they DEFINITELY are features that exploit Android Winamp's unique position and the reason the app is receiving its hype.
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 08:52   #60
AceMathias

I also would like to see an integration with winamp remote. My entire music collection is not going to fit on the SD card i have in my phone and i need additional space on it for photos and vids. If i could simply stream my music over both wifi and 3G to my phone, this would be ideal.
AceMathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 13:55   #61
jsmith432

I have an Android Nexus One and I am able to sync my playlist songs. But the playlists themselves are not being synchronized.
jsmith432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 21:06   #62
dodendemise

transcoding over wi-fi sync..

Am I experiencing a problem with a feature that should work or is it not possible to transcode when syncing over wifi? If not that would be a great feature to add because I like to downgrade the bitrate to save space so that i could have more songs.
dodendemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 03:14   #63
SeiferTim

Send a message via AIM to SeiferTim
Running into issues trying to get songs onto my phone...
I have an LG Ally, but I doubt the phone makes a difference.
I gave up on the WiFi option for now...this is strictly over USB.

On my SD card, I have a Directory structure that looks like this:
/media/audio/music
../../../notifications
../../../ringtones

I have nothing in Music, 5 mp3s in notifications, and 1 file in ringtones.
I have the 5 notifications and 1 ringtone already setup on my phone to play for various things.

If I try to AutoFill, it tells me it's going to remove 6 files from my phone and lists these 6. It also seems to arbitrarily fill up my phone with songs I've rated at 1 or 2.

I can't seem to get AutoFill to a: grab songs that I like from my 12k songs, and b: leave the other files alone. I've tried setting up the AutoFill query, but nothing seems to work - I can't seem to say: "(type = 0 AND length > 30 AND rating > 2) OR (filename has ringtones OR filename has notifications)" meaning, only Audio tracks greater than 30 seconds I've rated higher than 2 or files that are in the ringtones or notifications folders. It either ends up saying "adding 0 and removing 0" or it still tries to delete my 6 sounds...

Any way to tell winamp that these folders are HANDS OFF?
SeiferTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 23:37   #64
captainnapalm

Having major issues with the Wi-Fi sync to my Nexus One. I have a large playlist that I sync to my phone, and as I envision using Winamp as my only syncing solution, I deleted all of the music off my phone in order for Winamp to put it all back on.

With doubleTwist I would generally sync overnight with my phone connected via USB to my computer, but as I am now using my phone as an alarm, Wi-Fi sync is a perfect overnight syncing solution.

The problem has become that the phone won't sync more than 12 songs at a time before failing out on the remainder of the tracks in the playlist. It generally syncs the first 8 tracks very fast, and then slows down to a crawl for the next 2-4 tracks and then fails out on the rest.

It doesn't always work to just re-initiate the sync either. It will generally error out after only 1 or 2 tracks on the second and subsequent attempts.

Anyone else having this issue?
captainnapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 04:12   #65
cyberyaga

Smile Bluetooth Controls Takeover

Love the new Winamp player for android. Wireless Sync is awesome.

My issue is with the Bluetooth controls. They work like they should, but I use other players like Pandora and Rhapsody. Once I enable "Headset Controls" on winamp, it takes over my entire phone's bluetooth playback controls.

I can be listening to Pandora or Rhapsody and I want to skip the next song, and there goes Winamp popping up and making a mess out of my listening experience. I have to go to it and stop.

This is a superb Beta App. And my music player of choice. Please make Winamp take control of the bluetooth controls when I'm actually using it.

Thanks

I have a Motorola Droid 2 running Android 2.2.2
cyberyaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 15:10   #66
captainnapalm

Had another issue last night with syncing over USB. As the Wi-Fi sync wasn't working, I transfered all of my music files using Winamp.

Seems that if you decide to let Winamp rename your files, it somehow overwrote my ID3 tags and removed the album art. I have diligently updated all of my mp3 ID3 tags using mp3Tag ensuring they all have album art embedded, however using USB sync, I seem to have lost all of it. Guess I'll have to resync my library yet again, perhaps with doubleTwist this time, until Winamp figures this out.
Old 28th October 2010, 04:16   #67
captainnapalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnapalm View Post
Having major issues with the Wi-Fi sync to my Nexus One. I have a large playlist that I sync to my phone, and as I envision using Winamp as my only syncing solution, I deleted all of the music off my phone in order for Winamp to put it all back on.

With doubleTwist I would generally sync overnight with my phone connected via USB to my computer, but as I am now using my phone as an alarm, Wi-Fi sync is a perfect overnight syncing solution.

The problem has become that the phone won't sync more than 12 songs at a time before failing out on the remainder of the tracks in the playlist. It generally syncs the first 8 tracks very fast, and then slows down to a crawl for the next 2-4 tracks and then fails out on the rest.

It doesn't always work to just re-initiate the sync either. It will generally error out after only 1 or 2 tracks on the second and subsequent attempts.

Anyone else having this issue?
This seems to be an issue with syncing while the screen is locked. If the screen doesn't timeout, it continues to sync, but as soon as the screen is off, the sync fails.

EDIT: Nevermind, the sync was going well for about 40-50 songs, and then failed on the remaining 3000+ tracks.
Old 28th October 2010, 06:09   #68
rkjunior

First post. Long time WinAmp user -- love it over all others.. Psyched to see an Android app.. Here are some problems I've had.

WinXP
Clean Install
Sprint Samsung Epic 4g with 2.1

- Winamp would not recognize my Epic via USB until I went to close out Winamp, then I finally got the notification.
- USB Sync will create the file directory on my SDCard but receive "Transfered Failed" when trying to copy the songs
- Wireless Sync will not recognize the device. I click "Start Discovery" and it does nothing.
rkjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 18:12   #69
imdangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
Got my Droid X with 2.2 recognized via wifi, but it always wants to sync my entire library, not just my playlists. I do not have an Advanced tab under preferences so I cannot specify where on my SD card to sync the songs. Autofill says it will transfer 0 songs. Is there something that I'm missing?
How did you get it to connect via Wifi. i have WIFI enabled on my droid x, and right click on devices and start discovery, nothing happens.
imdangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 19:33   #70
imdangerous

Installed on my PC and the connection was fine. for some reason my laptop won't connect. wonder if that is because it's WIFI as well.
Old 28th October 2010, 20:35   #71
imdangerous

did someone say there was a reg value that needed to be changed?
Old 1st November 2010, 00:55   #72
badgaz

Winamp for Android is working great for me except for one little bug I've had. Wireless sync suddenly stopped working (my device stopped being detected in Winamp when it was before) and I realised that I had to turn OFF Wireless sync on my phone for Winamp to wirelessly detect my device (so basically disabling it was enabling it and enabling it was disabling it)

Obviously it's not a big issue for me now that I know what's going on but may be worth looking in to!
badgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 12:59   #73
Nobody 005

Unhappy Sync failing

I cannot sync using either USB or WiFi with Winamp 5.59beta, latest update from Android Market. Regardless of transfer method, Winamp simply reports 'Failed' transferring to the device.
Old 1st November 2010, 16:32   #74
albion01

Lock Screen monopoly

I use three multimedia apps regularly, Google Listen, Pandora, and a Music Player. With all of those I am able to use the music controls on my lock screen. Until I installed Winamp the lock screen controls would control the last app I was using. Ever since I installed Winamp, it monopolizes the lock screen controls. Even after changing the lock screen controls setting in Winamp, when I press play or pause, no matter what app I am using, Winamp starts. I will change my poor review in the Market when this is fixed.

-Albion
albion01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 00:08   #75
alanjrobertson

WiFi sync refuses to work and battery life killed by WinAmp network access so have uninstalled, sorry.

Also found the lock screen controls nowhere near as nice as the HTC music player ones...
alanjrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 04:36   #76
squard09

Web hosting at top hosting center starts at %5.56 per month.

Build your ultimate Cloud Server, save money and harness the sheer benefits of cloud computing. Order now and get your first Cloud Server in just 4 hours.
squard09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:15   #77
captainnapalm

I'll post this here in the sticky thread.

Found another huge bug.

I synced a large playlist (3300+ files) to my device using the USB sync. I set the location of music to /Music/<Artist>/<Album>/<filename> and to my horror, this has somehow erased all of my embedded album art. I am anal about having album art properly embedded and if I simply drag and drop files from using Windows Explorer, or even using WiFi sync (when it decides to work) I have no issues with album art.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:10   #78
kustodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnapalm View Post
I'll post this here in the sticky thread.

Found another huge bug.

I synced a large playlist (3300+ files) to my device using the USB sync. I set the location of music to /Music/<Artist>/<Album>/<filename> and to my horror, this has somehow erased all of my embedded album art. I am anal about having album art properly embedded and if I simply drag and drop files from using Windows Explorer, or even using WiFi sync (when it decides to work) I have no issues with album art.
The transcoder doesn't copy album art that is embedded in files when tou transcode the files before transfering to the android phone. This doesn't happen if you use the format converter, which is very odd, since they use the same transcoder
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:08   #79
Draynam

Playback resuming after hanging up

I have only encountered one bug, but this one can be annoying : on several occurrences, music playback resumed right after the end of a phone call.

I have an HTC Desire (with Sense enabled) running Froyo 2.2 (2.10.405.2) and Winamp 0.9.1. I never use any bluetooth device, I listen to music with simple headphones, no remote.

The annoying part is that this occurs with my headphones unplugged, (I always unplug them to make or take a call), which means that the music can be heard by everyone around... and this happened in pretty quiet places (my work open space for example).

I'll try to give as much info as I can :

- On each occurrence, playback had been paused when the call started, by which I mean that the pause was not provoked by a call reception (in which case resuming playback could seem logical).

- On each occurrence, winamp wasn't in full screen when the call started (I remember I had to look for the widget to stop the music). However, I don't know if playback had been paused via the widget or the full screen app.

- As far as I can tell, this doesn't occur every time I hang up the phone. It did occur at least three times in less than two weeks.

- This occurred both after incoming and outgoing phone calls

- The Winamp lockscreen is disabled

I'm out :]

This bug has already been reported by another user, here.
Draynam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:47   #80
rabidfurball

With wifi sync enabled, winamp burns through my entire vzw motorola droid battery in 4 hours (rather than 24hr+). Winamp isn't even running, but i do have the widgit on my desktop. Please fix this issue, it makes wifi sync unusable. Other than that, it's great.

It seems to only happen when my phone is not connected to wifi....

Motorola Droid
Android 2.2
settings:
wifi off
3G on (full signal)
GPS on
sync on
rabidfurball is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Tags
add, android, files, folder