Old 21st October 2010, 23:36   #1
keithforever

Not detecting Android phone (wifi)

I downloaded both the Winamp beta for Windows and the android app on my captivate but I cannot see the Android phone in Winamp desktop. I have the wifi setting enabled in Android Winamp and have Wifi turned on. I can browse the internet just fine from the phone.

In Winamp desktop I right click start discovery and nothing happens.

Any ideas? My PC is not using WiFi but is connected to the same wireless router that the phone is using.

And I can use a program called AllShare on the phone that connects to my media on the same PC so I know the wifi connection does work in other apps.

Using Samsung Captivate.
keithforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:55   #2
mr_mboo

Having the same problem myself. I have a feeling this is either a router issue or a Windows firewall issue, just not sure what I need to change.

If it helps, I'm running DD-WRT on a Linksys E-2000 router and, using Windows 7 on my PC and phone is an N1 that has been rooted and running CM6 nightly build 204.
mr_mboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:58   #3
kustodian

I have the exact same problem on my HTC Desire.
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 02:11   #4
patho

same problem.. win 7 x64.. htc legend
patho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 02:15   #5
stopasking
Banned

Same problem.

Win7 64
Winamp set to allow through firewall
Nexus One (2.2)
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 02:38   #6
jlbusch

I was able to get it to recognize the phone (droid inc, win7 pro x64) on the first install but since then have not been successful.
jlbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 03:41   #7
JunBringer

Same problem here. Htc Evo and Windows 7 64bit
JunBringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 03:59   #8
sthulin

I am having this same issue.

Windows 7 x64
Dell Streak (android 2.1)

Do we need to sync via wired first before doing wifi?
sthulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:37   #9
keithforever

Well, I turned off Windows firewall completely and even tried connecting through USB and no matter what I do, Winamp desktop will not pick up the phone. I think it must be a desktop Winamp issue. I get no hour glass or anything when I choose "Start Discovery". I think it is literally doing nothing.
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:39   #10
jlbusch

I have found that going into the settings menu on the device and unchecking and then re-checking makes the wireless sync work again...try this
also if you do not have the wireless sync enabled on the device you (obviously) must do this to get the sync to work at all...

My current problem is that even though I only asked it to sync one playlist it is insisting on syncing the entire library so I had to abort, don't know if it will actually sync it can see and read the device

As another has already pointed out, the computer winamp is not apparently able to remove songs from the device...
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:53   #11
JunBringer

Yeah I got mine to show up after some time, can't tell ya how. Just repeated tries.

It wouldn't let me delete files either, but I put a bunch of new stuff on there and it was surprisingly fast. I'm a happy camper.
JunBringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:07   #12
keithforever

Please answer these in your posts, maybe this might help the developers:

1. What phone do you have?
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2)
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit?
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above?
5. What is your experience if you can connect?
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:12   #13
jlbusch

Droid Incredible, stock froyo 2.2
Win 7 Pro x64
Only connected via WiFi - see my post above for how
Able to add some songs but failed on many of them
Unable to delete anything
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:16   #14
beanpole209

I was having the same issue. win7 64bit exc, droidx.

All i did was switch to the bento theme and it worked fine then.
beanpole209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:18   #15
keithforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithforever View Post
Please answer these in your posts, maybe this might help the developers:

1. What phone do you have?
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2)
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit?
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above?
5. What is your experience if you can connect?
1. Samsung Captivate
2. Custom 2.2 Froyo ROM (Cognition)
3. Windows 7 x64
4. Can't connect USB or WiFi - Desktop Winamp does not detect device at all
5. N/A
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:19   #16
jlbusch

For me to connect i did the following

1. install winamp on pc
2. connect to wireless (PC)
3. Connect to wireless (phone)
4. wait for both to have ip addresses and connect (i.e. can use internet on both)
5. open winamp pc
6. open winamp phone
7. on phone main screen (the one with six buttons for artists, albums, songs etc...) press menu, press settings, enable wireless sync
8. on winamp computer click on devices
9. right click on devices and select locate devices (or whatever can't remember exactly
10. a message pops up on the phone (only the first time) that says do you want to accept the connection, hit YES!

I believe that you have to be on the main screen in winamp on phone to connect...not sure

Once you have synced and disconnected, to resync repeat step 7 and 8 i.e. unclick and then reclick to enable wireless sync...

Good luck all
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:28   #17
keithforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbusch View Post

1. install winamp on pc
4. wait for both to have ip addresses and connect (i.e. can use internet on both)
5. open winamp pc
6. open winamp phone
7. on phone main screen (the one with six buttons for artists, albums, songs etc...) press menu, press settings, enable wireless sync
9. right click on devices and select locate devices (or whatever can't remember exactly
10. a message pops up on the phone (only the first time) that says do you want to accept the connection, hit YES!

I believe that you have to be on the main screen in winamp on phone to connect...not sure

Once you have synced and disconnected, to resync repeat step 7 and 8 i.e. unclick and then reclick to enable wireless sync...

Good luck all
Thanks, unfortunately, I never see item 10. Also, item 2, I do not have wireless on the PC. It is connected to the same router though but wired. Other apps like Allshare work with WiFi to the same PC.
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:37   #18
jlbusch

I'm not sure how it works, if it is a direct wi-fi connection from the pc to the phone then the pc needs to have wi-fi, this may be the problem...not sure though could try with a wifi enabled pc...
Old 22nd October 2010, 06:04   #19
ptown434

1. Droid X
2. OS 2.2
3. Windows XP 32
4. Cannot connect wifi
5. after clicking 'start discovery', nothing happens. I get no message on my phone. I have tried unchecking sync on phone, rebooted comp, done everything. Start discovery button does nothing.

I have a PC wired to my wireless router.

Question for everybody, did anyone uncheck items during installation? I unchecked videos, so that Winamp does not auto play videos. Doubt that is it, but just checking everything. This is really annoying.

For those that have made it worked, after you clicked 'start discovery' , did you get a message on your PC/laptop that it was searching?
ptown434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 06:31   #20
sarega

same problem here

I have HTC Desire, running Android 2.2. I have just installed Winamp 5.59 on Windows 7 running on VMWare Fusion (Mac OS X Snow Leopard). I have enabled wifi sync in the phone settings. When I right-click on Devices and click "Start Discovery", nothing happens. I have tried everything: rebooting the computer, rebooting the phone, disconnecting and reconnecting the phone to the wifi, etc.

I have further discovered that in the Preferences Window, I dont have any item called "Portables" under Media Library. The last item there is History. However, I do have Portables under Plug-ins and both Android Device plugin and Wifi Device plugin are installed.
sarega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:51   #21
kustodian

Quote:

1. install winamp on pc
5. open winamp pc
6. open winamp phone
This one worked for me on Win7 x64 with HTC Desire (2.2). I think that this function will need to have a different way of handling this, since you have to enable wifi just before you want to discover the device. It could be handled something like bluetooth works on my Desire, when you make the device discoverable for a few seconds once you enable it.
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:58   #22
mmiii

no connection to my PC W7 32bit
with HTC Hero 2.1

tried several things written above but there is no connection

Last edited by mmiii; 22nd October 2010 at 11:53.
mmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:12   #23
LionSound

How to sync Android with PC via WIFI?
I have Vista and I can't find any option either in system or in Winamp Android !

please help. This manual above, is not complete for me
LionSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:12   #24
redlow

I am suffering the same issue as others. I can't detect my phone via wireless OR USB. Like others, my PC is connected via network to wireless router. My phone is naturally on the same network, and wireless is enabled (and I restarted a few times)

1. What phone do you have? Google Nexus One
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2) Android 2.2.1
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit? 64 Bit Windows 7
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above? Neither
5. What is your experience if you can connect? N/A

Cheers
redlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:28   #25
LionSound

1. Samsung Galaxy i5700
2. Android 2.1
3. Vista 32 but
4. Usb,bluetooth and wifi on on PC and Phone is working
5. I'm unable to synchronize my PC with Android via WIFI in WINAMP. I'm unable to connect my PC to my Phone via WIFI in WINAMP.

BUT I found great software Android Manager WIFI http://androbot.pl/android/app/android-manager-wifi/ to connect Phone to PC. And it's working great without cables I want only synch WINAMP with PC for my MP3

Is it possible ?
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:29   #26
LionSound

Ok sorry. Now it works. I installed new beta version of Winamp on my Desktop.
Sorry guys for my #@$.

But could you explained me how sync works ? What is he syncing from my PC from which folder ? or which PlayList? or which Mp3?

peace.

Last edited by LionSound; 22nd October 2010 at 17:34.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:07   #27
ParadingLunatic

Moto Droid Android 2.2
Windows 7 64bit and XP 32bit
Can't connect to USB or Wifi in some cases

I've tried both at home and at work. First my attempts at home and my home configuration

Home:
Buffalo wireless N router running DD-WRT, also an old Linksys WRT54G with stock firmware just running as an access point and no routing functions. Desktop is Windows 7 64bit connected wired into the Buffalo router/AP and my Droid connecting wirelessly into the Linksys AP. Wifi connected between the phone and the desktop flawlessly, did not attempt any sync functions.

Work:

Cisco Wireless AP (real business Cisco AP) on a separate VLAN from the rest of the wired network. One computer is a laptop running WinXP, the other is desktop running Win7 64bit. Neither of them work. The desktop is wired and on a different vlan. Nothing I do can get it to connect but I think that has to do with our network config not allowing broadcast traffic across vlans. The laptop on the other hand I have connected wireless to the exact same access point that the phone is connected to. Still no connection between the two. This one really confuses me as I've already proved that my phone does work with the new winamp beta at home.
ParadingLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:11   #28
dcrusader

How I got it working

If you're having trouble getting WinAmp to find your phone, try what I had to do.

Go to your network adapters and disable every single one that isn't your active adapter. For example, I have VMWare installed and I had to disable all of its special adapters, had to disable my 2nd network card, and a bluetooth adapter.

After that, my phone showed up before I even had a chance to click Start Discovery.
dcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:41   #29
jskolm85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrusader View Post
If you're having trouble getting WinAmp to find your phone, try what I had to do.

Go to your network adapters and disable every single one that isn't your active adapter. For example, I have VMWare installed and I had to disable all of its special adapters, had to disable my 2nd network card, and a bluetooth adapter.

After that, my phone showed up before I even had a chance to click Start Discovery.
Sadly this fixed it for me. So when I want to sync up, just make sure I close down everything else first.

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
Droid Inc 2.2

Last edited by jskolm85; 22nd October 2010 at 23:00.
jskolm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:58   #30
keithforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrusader View Post

Genius!! Now it works. Although not a good solution, at least I know my phone is detectable now. Thanks!
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:32   #31
admiral70

My droid x connected the first time and now will not connect.

I do see in my D-Lin DIR-655 logs it has an entry related to my Droid X ip address that says,
Blocked outgoing ICMP packet (ICMP type 3) from 192.168.0.225 to 68.116.46.115

This message comes up a couple of different times with the TO address changing. I only have 1 network adapter.

Here are my specs
Droid X running 2.2
Windows 7 32-bit
winamp 5.59 beta
winamp 0.9.1.1 for Android

Ideas are greatly appreciated.
admiral70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 04:40   #32
slideways

Quote:

1. install winamp on pc
5. open winamp pc
6. open winamp phone
#8 is where I have a problem. I don't have "Devices" on my winamp desktop. Do you have to have WinAmp Pro to use this feature? This is driving me insane, since I can't figure it out.
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 07:47   #33
robollama

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
#8 is where I have a problem. I don't have "Devices" on my winamp desktop. Do you have to have WinAmp Pro to use this feature? This is driving me insane, since I can't figure it out.
update to the beta
robollama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:34   #34
Chrisdroid

WinAmp desktop is discovering my phone but it isn't attaching. I clicked 'allow' when the message appeared on my Android phone.

1. What phone do you have? HTC Legend
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2) 2.1
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit? 32b XP
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above? Wifi
Chrisdroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:14   #35
alanjrobertson

Same problem here...

1. What phone do you have? HTC Desire
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2) 2.2
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit? Windows 7 64-bit
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above? Only tried WiFi - no success

I've also got VMware installed (although no VM running), tried disabling the two LAN connections it creates but to no avail. Able to browse my HTC Desire if I run WiFile on it and also sync B-folders so can't see a firewall/router issue.
alanjrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:12   #36
warbf

want technical info

I am having the same problem. Please provide some technical details on how the program
locates the phone
. For example broadcast on port nnnn, or multicast discovery on port nnnn,
or what ever. That way we can sniff the wire to see is the request is getting there.

evo mobile, win 7, home built.
warbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:15   #37
Wolf Schouten

Same

1: Phone is an HTC Hero
2: 2.1 (rooted stock)
3: Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x86
4: Using Winamp 5.58 I can sync over USB, using Winamp 5.59 beta I can't sync with USB nor wifi
5: Using Winamp 5.58 I can sync over USB, and sync works perfectly. Using 5.59 even that option is denied to me, and wireless sync doesn't work either.
Wolf Schouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 06:58   #38
rstinsley

Quote:

1. install winamp on pc
5. open winamp pc
6. open winamp phone

Good luck all
I have tired all these steps and nothing works on #10. Not sure what step I am missing.

I have the Droid X running 2.2
rstinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 09:56   #39
AceMathias

1. What phone do you have? HTC Desire
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2) 2.2
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit? Windows XP 64 bit
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above? Yet to try USB, WiFi does not work
5. What is your experience if you can connect? Winamp managed to detect my device after restart when i first installed 5.59, the acknowledge message appeared on the phone, but then nothing happened. Since then winamp cannot find my device again
AceMathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 17:42   #40
admiral70

I think my Droid X or my Dlink router is blocking the request from WinAmp PC to my phone. Any ideas before I go back to Winamp for a refund on my pro version. Yes, I am running the Beta version.

It allowed a connection one time and now will not reconnect. Thanks

I do not get a popup on my Droid X
admiral70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android