Old 28th October 2010, 03:24   #41
taketheleap

Enable wireless sync?

I can't even get the "enable wireless sync" to show up properly on my setting page of Winamp Android.

I have followed all of the steps suggested above, but the option remains grayed out at all times.

1. What phone do you have? Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (Bell Canada)
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2) 2.1, update 1
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit? Windows 7 64 bit
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above? WiFi does not work, have yet to try USB
5. What is your experience if you can connect? Grayed out "enable wireless sync" on the Android device. Obviously, when I try and discover on my desktop, nothing happens.

My computer is hard-lined to the wireless router; the phone is connecting to the router. I know it can connect, my allShare from Samsung works just fine.
taketheleap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 00:49   #42
slyn4ice

1. What phone do you have? HTC Desire (Softbank Japan)
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2) 2.2
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above? WiFi does not work, USB works only after I manually connect to a device via Preferences->Plugins->Portables
5. What is your experience if you can connect? It seems to work fine with USB. Wifi does nothing though. Absolutely nothing happens when I select "device discovery" from desktop winamp.
slyn4ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:41   #43
NeonFreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyn4ice View Post
1. What phone do you have? HTC Desire (Softbank Japan)
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2) 2.2
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above? WiFi does not work, USB works only after I manually connect to a device via Preferences->Plugins->Portables
5. What is your experience if you can connect? It seems to work fine with USB. Wifi does nothing though. Absolutely nothing happens when I select "device discovery" from desktop winamp.
I cant even find the device discovery button! where can i find it
NeonFreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 20:14   #44
kustodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFreaky View Post
I cant even find the device discovery button! where can i find it
Right click on Devices and you will have "Start Discovery".
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:30   #45
lAg94mS

Hi,

I'm running winamp beta 5.59 on win xp pro 32bit and I'm also unable to detect my Samsung Galaxy S international.
I'm running a custom rom on froyo based on jpo.
I experienced that connecting through usb causes force close on my desktop winamp when the mount option in mobile winamp is active. With this option disabled, wired sync works great to external sd card. Once i tick the box, winamp shuts down and reports an error caused by ntdll.dll (i think that was the name...)
Wifi sync ticked in wa mobile doesn't affect anything for me.
Locate devices to try a wireless sync just reports no hits or simply doesn't start. As i can't access the plugin (winamp wifi plugin) config menu (if there is any) I can't locate any problem with the wifi itself (browsing ect works)
Maybe an error with wpa2 secured wifi? I just tested without security options in my router, still doesn't work.

Any workarounds or fixes?
lAg94mS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:51   #46
NeonFreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustodian View Post
Right click on Devices and you will have "Start Discovery".
there is no option as devices, i only see portables if i right click on that there is:
don't show this option i've no devices are mounted, (free translated from dutch)\
en preferences.
NeonFreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:11   #47
TheFeshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrusader View Post
If you're having trouble getting WinAmp to find your phone, try what I had to do.

Go to your network adapters and disable every single one that isn't your active adapter. For example, I have VMWare installed and I had to disable all of its special adapters, had to disable my 2nd network card, and a bluetooth adapter.

After that, my phone showed up before I even had a chance to click Start Discovery.
This *almost* worked for me. I had to reboot after disabling the network adapters to get it to show up. After a reboot, it works. Re-enabling the networks after rebooting disconnected me from my phone immediately, and I couldn't re-connect until I disabled and rebooted again. With the reboot, it works fine. Thanks!
TheFeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 00:15   #48
kustodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFreaky View Post
there is no option as devices, i only see portables if i right click on that there is:
don't show this option i've no devices are mounted, (free translated from dutch)\
en preferences.
Have you installed Winamp 5.59 beta?
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 14:26   #49
Jooh4n

I'm not getting it to work. Does it only work WiFi to WiFi?

Because i am trying to connect to my PC woth TP-cable internet (on the same net thought) with my WiFi Nexus one.

1. Google Nexus One
2. 2.2
3. Windows 7 64-bit
4. Havn't tried anything else then WiFi
5. -
Jooh4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 08:31   #50
joebloggscity

Hi

How do you link your HTC desire to winamp? I'm having a nightmare getting this done.

I used to use my N81 with winamp with no problems. I only use the cables and I'd have thought that should be fine.

I've got a new HTC desire and have had a few headaches. Finally a couple of nights back I thought it was sorted as it finally started to recognise my phone as a portable...

But this morning, it's strange it is recognising the disk drive but NOT as a portable under devices (see screenshot). Why is this?

see: http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/5209/41665173.jpg

how can i sort this? I've tried to go to the plugins and do see "E:\" drive as the drive (for the USB & the Android plugin) but to no avail.

What is going on wrong?

Please help.

I've a HTC desire,
android 2.2
32GB card
i've got "enable auto-mount" as ticked on
I always use the USB cable
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 09:21   #51
Thykka

[double-post fail]
Thykka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 09:23   #52
Thykka

1. What phone do you have? HTC Hero
2. Version of Android? 2.2 (FroyoVillain)
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit? Win7x64
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above? USB works, WiFi doesn't
5. What is your experience if you can connect?

Also, here's how my devices are set up:

The WLAN-modem and router are both set to bridged-mode. I'm not too good at the technical side of networks, but something tells me this can't work when the phone and PC are not on the same home-network.. Or maybe they are, I dunno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shc6A6lcjPd6Znnpite5cGw.png
Views:	12910
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	47876  
Thykka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 19:05   #53
ilumos

Start -> Run -> %appdata%

Browse to the Winamp\Plugins\ml folder, and delete the pmp_wifi.ini file.

Worked for me!
ilumos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 14:56   #54
Poin1985

Send a message via ICQ to Poin1985
i cant find this file. not on the device and not at the desktop.

BTW: is it possible to sync the rating, playcount and last played timestamp back to the desktop?
Poin1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 20:37   #55
Poin1985

Send a message via ICQ to Poin1985
i have now installed winamp on my laptop. the wifi sync works! but not on the desktop :-( the greatest question for me at this time is: can i sync the playcount from the device and the last played timestamp from the device to the dekstop. can i rate songs on the device?
Poin1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:35   #56
kiwiguy007

worked for me

1 update to beta 5.59
2 DO NOT have usb plugged in at same time !!!

soon as I unhooked USB it picked up phone !!!!!

this works a treat
kiwiguy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 06:22   #57
murderedbysound

The only thing I never realized was that this whole thing applied to the 5.59 beta. I had 5.58 and was looking around forever and couldn't figure out how to do the wifi transfers with it. Only to see that someone said they got the beta and its on there. So I installed it and it worked like a charm for me.
HTC G2
XP 32bit
So far just the wifi (not too sure if I will do USB since wifi is more convenient)

The first time I opened up winamp on my laptop it found my phone. It took a couple minutes to transfer 6 songs of 192k bit quality toons (90mb total.) So far I am pretty happy with the results.
murderedbysound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 02:28   #58
Muirtach

Samsung Galaxy Tab
Stock 2.2
Win7 64-bit
Wifi will not connect. USB connects only when device is set to "Media Player"

Additional Info.
Does connect with doubleTwist using AirSync with no issues.
Desktop is hard-lined into the router.
Muirtach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 01:08   #59
onix

Wifi will not connect. USB connects only when device is set to "Media Player", but syncs wonderfully. Desktop hardlined to router... all same as with Muirtach's post. My device:

HTC Magic (Google Ion)
CyanogenMod 6.1.0RC1 (Android 2.2)
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Router: WRT54GLv1.1; Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/18/09) mini

Only other Andriod background applications running is CSipSimple along with standard google apps.
onix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 17:04   #60
rabeatz

1. Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
2. Android 2.2
3. Windows 7 64 bit
4. Cannot get device to show up under "Devices" in Winamp over WiFi, start discovery appears to do nothing at all
5. No experience, unable to connect

Tried all of the above fixes, disabled all my Antivirus and Firewall Software, tried with two computers both wireless and hardwired.
rabeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 19:02   #61
bsg75

I got it working!

I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 7 (that may or may not be necessary). I have the latest Android app and the 5.6 desktop app. It was NOT working before the clean install, but I was also not clicking the Winamp Agent.

This DOES NOT usually work for me.
  • Launching Winamp
  • Click Discover

This DOES work for me
  • Clicking the **Winamp Agent notification icon and launching Winamp that way.
  • It automatically discovers my rooted Incredible

For noobs like me, when it discovers your device, right click its name in the Library bar and choose preferences -> Media Library -> Portables -> [device name] -> Sync.
Make sure you are only syncing playlists you have checked (not ones that are NOT checked). Uncheck the "Library Sync" feature. Only use this if you have a special query you want to run against the library. The default config means it tries to sync your whole library, in addition to any playlists you checked. Weird.

I ended up checking it and using this query to sync all 4 or 5 rated tracks from my library:
rating >= "4"

The wifi sync works pretty well. There are some albums/songs that it keeps trying to recopy to my device, or recopy from my device to my local library, but overall it's nice to get rid of the USB.

**If you don't see the Winamp Agent notification icon, it would be next to where your wifi and volume icons are, on the taskbar on the opposite side of the Windows (Start) icon. If you don't see it, right-click down near the notification are and choose "customize" then make sure the Winamp Agent is set to always display. Launch Winamp from the Winamp Agent icon.

Rooted Incredible
WPA2
bsg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 11:25   #62
bchavez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrusader View Post
If you're having trouble getting WinAmp to find your phone, try what I had to do.

Go to your network adapters and disable every single one that isn't your active adapter. For example, I have VMWare installed and I had to disable all of its special adapters, had to disable my 2nd network card, and a bluetooth adapter.

After that, my phone showed up before I even had a chance to click Start Discovery.
So, I had the same problem:

Wired PC <-> Wifi Winamp Phone

HTC Droid Incredible 2.2 Froyo

It appears Winamp Wifi Device Discovery has an issue with multi-homed machines IE: multiple NIC cards / adapters.

For example, I have a Hamachi adapter that I use quite often which was enabled.

I disabled the Hamachi adapter, RESTARTED Winamp, and device discovery worked.
bchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 22:51   #63
Chilly3

Here's what seems to work for me

I have a Droid, wired computer to router, wireless connection to phone. Winamp discovered it once (I still don't know why) but never again. I went to my Device Manager and disabled the Microsoft Wireless Router Module under Network Infrastructure Devices. Don't know what it is and don't apparently need it working. As soon as it was disabled, viola! My Droid showed up...

Now I just wanna be able to update podcasts wirelessly and I'm a happy camper.
Chilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 13:21   #64
crazzeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithforever View Post
Please answer these in your posts, maybe this might help the developers:

1. What phone do you have?
2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2)
3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit?
4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above?
1) Moto Droid 2
2) Latest stock froyo rom
3) 32b Windows Vista (the computer that doesn't work)
4) I've only tried wifi on any computer (all I"m interested in)

5) Complicated, I can connect on my 2 64b Vista desktops but I can't on my 32b vista laptop (all Ultimate edition, all same firewall settings). When I can connect on my desktops my experience is generally good, but flawed. I find transfers pause, sometimes for great length for no real good reasons. Some songs act like they will transfer, but then zero bytes transfer so no music. Trying to transfer some songs results in Winamp displaying "connecting" and that's as far as it goes.

I've tried and retried many times and it's deffinently related to the specific Mp3 rather than the network. For instance I can try transfering my Anne Murray Amazing grace and it will just say "connecting".... Eventually that will fail out, so I can try say BB King & U2 When the love comes to town and everything is happy, immediatly after Amazing Grace repeatedly fails to connect.

I think Winamp is doing a good thing, but they system needs *A LOT* of work. In particular the droid player needs *A LOT* of TLC.
Old 14th December 2010, 06:44   #65
archangel michae

Wink Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchavez View Post
So, I had the same problem:

Wired PC <-> Wifi Winamp Phone

HTC Droid Incredible 2.2 Froyo

It appears Winamp Wifi Device Discovery has an issue with multi-homed machines IE: multiple NIC cards / adapters.

For example, I have a Hamachi adapter that I use quite often which was enabled.

I disabled the Hamachi adapter, RESTARTED Winamp, and device discovery worked.
MotoDriodX, Stock Froyo. That makes PERFECT sense and is something that might need to be addressed in the next version of whatever side is having the issue. Since disabling the multihomed nics I would suspect the issue is on the PC side.

Not having the other NICs available is not really an option for me, and probably many others. I would classify this as a "deal breaker" if it was production software (ie not beta). If I was on the production team, I wouldn't bring this out of beta until it was fixed or removed. And being a very cool option, I'd shoot for "fixed".

If you need ideas how to fix this, let me know I have a couple (email me) that might work. Then again, I'm not a programmer so my ideas might be crap
archangel michae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 11:02   #66
Catalyst123

I posted this in another thread but thought I would add in here anyway.

The type of router you use is probably the issue for some of you.

I am using a HTC Desire on Froyo and a laptop running XP.

Wi-fi sync won't work on my home wi-fi network (router is a Netgear DGN 2000) but works fine in my studio (some sort of Apple router).

I'm convinced the issue is the Netgear not supporting multicast because I have exactly the same problem with doubleTwist AirSync.
Catalyst123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 04:18   #67
TrUsK

I've got a HTC driod Incredible running 2.2
After successfully synching my phone (via wireless) to my desktop (32-bit, win 7 pro), I wanted to then sync my phone to my notebook (64-bit, win7 home premium)
At first, the sync would not work. I tried uninstalling the winamp andriod app and tried to sync again - didn't work.
After looking going to (within Winamp on the computer) Library, Media Library Preferences/ Plug-ins/Portables I selected and uninstalled the android plug-in (pmp_andriod.dll)
Immediately, Winamp recognized and saw my phone.
After restarting winamp, I wasn't sure if the plug-in would reinstall itself - apparently it doesn't. Though, my phone still works. Not sure why, but it does. Hope this is helpful for someone else w/ a Driod Incredible.
TrUsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 05:12   #68
onix

Solution Found

YES bchavez and archangel have it right. Disable ALL network adapters except the one connected to the common router, and restart Winamp. In my case VMWare dummy networks were still being hosted. I disabled them and YES it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel michae View Post
MotoDriodX, Stock Froyo. That makes PERFECT sense and is something that might need to be addressed in the next version of whatever side is having the issue. Since disabling the multihomed nics I would suspect the issue is on the PC side.

Not having the other NICs available is not really an option for me, and probably many others. I would classify this as a "deal breaker" if it was production software (ie not beta). If I was on the production team, I wouldn't bring this out of beta until it was fixed or removed. And being a very cool option, I'd shoot for "fixed".

If you need ideas how to fix this, let me know I have a couple (email me) that might work. Then again, I'm not a programmer so my ideas might be crap
onix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 16:36   #69
bolski

See my responses in blue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithforever View Post
Please answer these in your posts, maybe this might help the developers:

1. What phone do you have?
LG Vortex

2. Version of Android (2.1, 2.2)
Version 2.2 Froyo

3. What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit?
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

4. Have you been able to only connect USB, WiFi, both or none of the above?
USB only

USB works fine. Cannot get wireless to work.
I'm running WinAmp Pro 5.601 as well.

Now, I do have one thing to ask. Does my desktop machine running WinAmp Pro have to have a wireless NIC card in it because mine doesn't. I've wired it directly to my wireless router.

My droid can connect to my wireless network without a problem, but WinAmp Pro on my Windows machine will not find it even though the Droid is connect to the wireless network.

Thanks!
bolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 01:57   #70
stopasking
Banned

FIXED - here's a solution

I didn't have to disable all network connections. I realized that WinAmp appeared to be connecting to the first network adapter found. So theoretically disabling all would work, but all I had to do was rename my network connection to be alphabetically first.

Windows 7:

For example, I had a 3G connection, VMWare connections, Wired and wireless connection.
Go to Network Connections Right click "network", click Properties, then click "Change Adapter Settings" on the left. Click your wireless connection, hit the F2 key to name it, add a "1" to the beginning so it shows up first alphabetically.

As soon as I did that, Winamp instantly discovered my Droid X.

Pretty sad Winamp isn't smart enough to know which connection to use....
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 16:04   #71
bolski

Well, I followed the directions on disabling all network connections except my main LAN connection, rebooted and viola! It works!

Awesome! I haven't gone and renamed the VMWare VPN connections and re-enabled them, but so far, WiFi synching works great!
bolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 22:16   #72
GreenNuggs

MotoDroid 2.2 stock, Win 7 32-bit.

Eventually got it to work. But I had to have my wireless enabled and connected to the access point AND have my LAN physically connected as well. I tried countless configuratons.

Then I had a theory. It may be paired up with whatever adapter's MAC address you first synced with. So I changed the name on the Droid to "MotoDroid", closed Winamp, uplugged my LAN, reopened Winamp, then it worked with just my Wireless active.

However, once I plugged the LAN back in, closed Winamp and reopened eventually it didn't work again unless the LAN was plugged in. I used Wireshark to see if I could detect anything. Winamp is clearly broadcasting itself out to the local network. And if you look at the packets sent, the first packet I see with communication to the device is FROM the LAN port. So I'm guessing the bug is on the PC side.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have all my devices enabled, including my bluetooth. It wouldn't work any other way.
GreenNuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 09:31   #73
ASnet0007

WIFI only works with PRO version

Just found this on the Winamp blog.

Quote:
Step 4:
From your PC, download & install Winamp Standard (free) or Winamp Pro (premium). Version 5.6 or later is required. Please note that Wi-Fi sync with Winamp for Android will not work with "Winamp Lite". After launching Winamp you will be prompted to "Add Media to Library" or "Import from iTunes".
Found at this site.
http://blog.winamp.com/2010/11/30/wi...android-phone/

If this is the case why have the devs not told us on these forums?

Can someone confirm it does not work on all the latest versions but does work with pro
ASnet0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 09:34   #74
ASnet0007

This only works on Pro version

Step 4:
Please note that Wi-Fi sync with Winamp for Android will not work with "Winamp Lite".

found at http://blog.winamp.com/2010/11/30/wi...android-phone/

if this is the case why have no devs posted this?

Can someone who has pro confirm it does not work with lite but does with pro
ASnet0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 14:18   #75
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ASnet0007

No

It works with both Winamp Full (free/standard version) and Winamp Pro.
Winamp Lite is the version with no Media Library or Freeform/Modern Skin support.

Winamp Full & Pro are pretty much the same, except the Pro features (mp3 encoding, Hi-Bitrate aacPlus encoding, mpeg-4 video decoding, full speed cd ripping + burning) are locked in the free version (although all the plugins/components/features are present). You can even enter the Pro registration key into the Full free version to turn it into Pro.

Wi-Fi (or any Portable) support can't work in Winamp Lite because the plugins/features aren't present
(gen_ml.dll, ml_pmp.dll, pmp_wifi.dll, etc).

If Winamp detects your phone in USB mode, but not in Wifi mode, then (if none of the previously mentioned 'fixes' work) the main/most common reason would be either it's being blocked by a software firewall, or you're using a modem/router from an ISP (such as BT Home Hub) which blocks multicast, and therefore it's probably never going to work.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 16:44   #76
Jiijapoa

thanks rstinsley, it really works...
Jiijapoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 15:11   #77
netposer

I disabled all but my main NIC and after that Winamp discovered my Captivate. I have 2 physical nics and 2 virtual nics (VMware). Maybe Winamp will fix this in their next update.
netposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 22:33   #78
shalmaneser

HTC Wildfire

Running 2.1 update 1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Connects fine via USB, no movement whatsoever from my computer when hitting 'discover' or devices - right click - start discovery.

Followed all the app side instructions, but nothing. Seems to be bug from the computer side.
shalmaneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 00:24   #79
joxer

Empty device name

Hello!

Similar problem here.

After the first installation of Winamp 5.6 I could discover and copy music to my devices over wifi without any problem. But now, only one phone (HTC Hero, 2.1) is shown properly in the discovery list. The name of the 2nd device (SonyEricsson X8, 2.1), the capacity status as well as the playlist overview are empty.

I tried to remove %appdata% of Winamp; reinstalled the Winamp App. Nothing helped.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp2-6_problems.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	48297  
joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 23:00   #80
Axellink

The fix I found was to change the ml_pmp_device_"name of device" config file or delete it. There is something about that file that is stopping the phone being picked up.

The file should be located in the following for windows 7 users. XP I'm assuming its in document & settings etc.

C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml

Edit: Also changing the device name in the Android Winamp app allows the program to detect the phone as well. Very weird.
Axellink is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android