Old 21st October 2010, 23:25   #1
tejasmi5
Nullsoft Team

Winamp Android Feature Request Survey

Winamp for Android is currently in beta with a full release coming before the end of the year. Help up rank which features should make the next release with this survey -bit.ly/winampfeatures

UPDATE: Winamp for Android has released several versions now and is currently on v1.1.1. We have been listening to your requests and have been implementing them little by little. Please fill out this new survey to let us know which features should make the next release. Also get a sneak peak at what features are coming soon - http://bit.ly/winampsurvey
tejasmi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:11   #2
marvin_rock

Forgot to add on my survey

3 - the ability to choose where media is synced to on the root of the SD card - currently puts it in root:\<artist> - which makes an ecclectic collection blow up my SD card!
marvin_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:05   #3
unfnknblvbl

Send a message via ICQ to unfnknblvbl
I want to be able to remotely control Winamp-PC from my phone. That is; to be able to browse the media library on my phone but have the actions occur on my PC.
Remote control apps like that rock my world
unfnknblvbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:36   #4
Reboare

Cross Fade

Hey Guys,
You have no idea how happy I am to see you on android. Something I cant seem to find in the beta and would appreciate seeing is a cross fade between tracks similar to what you can setup in Winamp 5. It doesn't seem important but to someone like me who listens to a ton of house tracks in entire sets its the ideal setting. It allows me to cut a 4 hour set up by individual tracks for easy skipping/tagging but still play them back as one seemingly seamless set. I consider it to be one of your most important features and is why I use Winamp almost exclusively.

Cheers.
Reboare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:06   #5
tejasmi5
Nullsoft Team

@marvin_rock: thanks, we captured the last request and are already looking at ways to solve this for all users.

@unfnknblvbl: sounds great, you must be a heavy winamp remote user!

@reboare: glad you like the app. Crossfade request has been noted.
tejasmi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 01:00   #6
Stupifier
Major Dude

Ok, I filled out the form but I just wanted to post my suggestion here as well for the public to read. I believe it is a REALLY cool suggestion:

App currently supports linking to Desktop Winamp via Wi-Fi....but ONLY for sync/transfers. Add more robust functions with this linking ability. The sky is the limit here. For example:

1. Use Android device as remote control for Winamp Desktop controls. For example, do things like this app does:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/awc.java

2. Ability to transfer current live playback of song/playlist to and from Android device. Meaning, a currently playing song on Android phone can be paused and playback be sent to Desktop Winamp to continue where the Android phone left off. Vice Versa supported as well. This would create seamless, uninterrupted playback for those transitioning in listening environments (Transition from Android playback in Car to entering home listening).

3. Expand the linking capabilities to more than Wi-Fi. Make it possible to connect Android Winamp App to Desktop Winamp over IP as well. This way access is NOT limited to location.

These features would put the amount of control and power FAR above anything else on the market...seriously! I'm drooling as I type this post.

#1 is already out on the market...the link I provided is IMHO the freakin BEST app out there for remote control of Winamp
#2 is especially interesting to me.
#3 is for those that do not use/have Wireless Routers.
Stupifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 06:19   #7
E_man

My main thing is widgets. I like a nice 4x1 for my lockscreen (I don't use stock lockscreen, I use an app, so your lock player doesn't work) and a huge 4x4 for my deskop. Other than that, amazing app.
E_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 06:53   #8
cyclebiker

Widgets would be great please.
Also either a built-in Winamp Remote functionality or separate Remote app like the iPhone has would be amazing!
Finally some EQ settings and skinability also would be small and handy items to have, thank you!

Overall though, for a Beta, there is nothing I can complain about; the wifi sync works seamlessly and the app itself is excellent!
cyclebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:20   #9
Tommy_AR

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy_AR
At last Winamp for Android, good job so far.
1. Request:
A very important feature would be to control Winamp with the headset button.

Ciao
Thomas
Tommy_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 05:47   #10
Papa.Smurf

I think a remote control capability would be pretty cool. Something that would allow me to control winamp on my desktop PC with my phone.
Papa.Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 17:07   #11
RichieHD

FEATURE REQUEST:
The Audiogalaxy app lets you connect to your home computer through Wifi when you are not home. So, instead of having all of your music on your phone- you pretty much stream your collection over Wifi. Problem is, they don't support Last.FM scrobbling. As someone who ONLY uses Winamp on my PC- can you pleaseeeeee add this feature? I have over 40 gigs of music and no way to put all of that on my phone. LOL.
RichieHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 19:16   #12
Stupifier
Major Dude

@RichieHD
1. Audiogalaxy connects to your home computer through IP (Internet connection)...not WiFi. Your home's WiFi is just a wireless network that reaches a little bit more than the boundary of your house. Your internet connection....reaches across the world.

2. Look into WinampRemote by the Winamp Developers. It allows similar function as AudioGalaxy....it just will not be an App. Instead, you will go to a website on your phone, login, and see your Home Winamp music collection available for listening.
Link to WinampRemote Forums:
http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

IMHO, I think you should just stick to AudioGalaxy for music streaming (I use it too). From what it looks like, WinampRemote is kinda dying. Maybe Winamp Developers will merge WinampRemote and Android Winamp into one product....but that is a HUGE undertaking I imagine.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:38   #13
Xadou

Nice app (:

The only request i would make is to control the song list with the volume buttons while the mobile is locked. I mean, if you push the + volume button a little, it ups the volume. But if you push it a while, it pass to the next song. That's useful when you use normal headphones without buttons!
Xadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 20:28   #14
Stupifier
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadou View Post
Nice app (:

The only request i would make is to control the song list with the volume buttons while the mobile is locked. I mean, if you push the + volume button a little, it ups the volume. But if you push it a while, it pass to the next song. That's useful when you use normal headphones without buttons!
You mean, holding the Volume Up button would go to Next Track...and holding Volume Down button would go to Previous Track. While, simply pressing the volume buttons controls the actual volume.....

If I understand this correctly, this would be a great addition. This would create a quick way to control playback while the phone is in your pocket....like when you are walking and listening to music and most commonly are. You wouldn't have to pull out your phone and look at it.
Old 24th October 2010, 22:19   #15
kustodian

Quote:
Nice app (:

+1 Great idea.
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 11:17   #16
pandaking

+1 for being able to use my android as a remote control for my desktop Winamp.

I <3 siebe83 - THE forum king.
DJ -> Makes panda horny...
pandaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 13:56   #17
kustodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaking View Post
+1 for being able to use my android as a remote control for my desktop Winamp.
There are already a few apps that can do that in the market. My favorite is Lazik.
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 14:41   #18
nycebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustodian View Post
+1 Great idea.
I concur as well. Multi-function rocker button would be great!
nycebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 16:41   #19
xanatos451

Man, maybe I'm just out of touch but it seems like there's some very basic functionality missing that needs to be addressed first before dreaming up rarely used scenarios with remotes and the like. Sure, those would be "nice to have" type features but there's some real make/break things missing from my standpoint. Some of which of have been voiced multiple times.

- Gesture controls: When using the app full screen, especially when driving, trying to find the next/prev/pause buttons is a real PITA. Almost every other player I've tried in the market features at least this basic functionality.

- Full Screen album art when playing: The look of the lock screen is nice, but really, I can't find any way to make the app play full screen normally. Am I missing something here? The lock screen look is fine, but I don't want to have to lock the phone every time I'm listening for this feature. This would tie into the gesture controls nicely as when I'm in the car, the full screen album art is the desired play screen. Again, almost all of the other players have this.

- Widget to full screen application: Tapping on the widget currently does nothing. Sure, you can click on the lighting bolt if you can manage to hit it, but trying to hunt and peck that sucker when driving is seriously a pain. Tapping the album info or the album art should intuitively take the user to the full screen player, if not a full screen album art player (see above) as most of the other widget based players I've tried do so.

Again, maybe I'm alone in using the player as a major car stereo component regularly, but these few features seem much easier to implement and expected that I was baffled to not see them there by default. I have tried at least 5 other players, some of which are just layered upon the stock player app, and this type of flow seems to be the norm, not the exception. I'd like to use Winamp as I'd expect they may have a bi-directional sync sooner than other offerings, but honestly, if even these basic features don't make it into the app soon, I'll be back to my previous player in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm actually using two players on my EVO at the moment as Winamp is currently a serious PITA to use when driving.
xanatos451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 19:13   #20
Winamp4Android

I really want to be able to swipe through songs and double tap to play/pause. I find swipe through your songs is very important to have for the lockscreen player. It adds a great deal of safetly while driving!
Winamp4Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 18:03   #21
ASnet0007

Ratings and play count support

Something that is missing on nearly all other android media apps is 2 way sync of ratings and play count. isyncr(i-tunes) and double-twist are the only apps that do this on android and its something that I would love to tie in my on-the-go music collection with my home collection.

Look at how many requests media monkey has had for this option in their wish list forum.

Winamp rocks.
ASnet0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 18:05   #22
ASnet0007

Ratings and play count 2 way sync support

Something that is missing on nearly all other android media apps is 2 way sync of ratings and play count. isyncr(i-tunes) and double-twist are the only apps that do this on android and its something that I would love to tie in my on-the-go music collection with my home collection.

Look at how many requests media monkey has had for this option in their wish list forum.

Winamp rocks.

ASnet0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 18:23   #23
Stupifier
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASnet0007 View Post

Winamp rocks.
+1

I would SERIOUSLY love to rate my music on my Phone and have that sync up to ratings on Desktop Winamp. I used to rate my music all the time while walking with my iPod...but since the switchover to Android, my rating project has been halted.

about 6400 songs rated so far out of 12000+ song library. Makes me sad when I want to rate but cannot
Old 28th October 2010, 03:53   #24
captainnapalm

Feature Request: The ability to force refresh the music on the phone, such as if you've done a massive delete, it takes forever for the phone to recognize the music is gone. It would be awesome if from either the app itself, or from Winamp on PC you could force a refresh.
captainnapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 13:43   #25
Draynam

Standard lock screen and skins

It's been a real pleasure to witness Winamp's arrival on android, and with a Beta version that doesn't feel like a beta at all !

From my perspective, there are two major features that are currently missing :

I trust you must have been thinking of skins from the beginning, since it's always been one of the signature features of desktop Winamp. We'll have to be patient, I guess, but it's just a shame that the standard skin is so depressing. A simple choice in colors would already greatly improve the look of the app...

My other point is something that I didn't see mentioned before. The lockscreen is a fairly good idea, but in my opinion it's somewhat broken by the fact that, at least on a HTC phone (Desire in my case), after touching the lock icon on Winamp's screen, you're back on the default Sense lockscreen and have to swipe again to finally access your home !

After only a few minutes of use, I disabled Winamp's lockscreen. I'd rather have to unlock the default lockscreen to be able to use Winamp, than to have to unlock two screens to access anything else on my phone !

My dream would be that Winamp could interact with Sense's lock screen, to display the album art and a few controls, as the Sense music player does, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

Failing this, it would be nice if Winamp's lockscreen took the place of the default lockscreeen : a swipy gesture of some sort to unlock, leading directly to your home screen.

Then again, I don't know if this problem affects non-HTC Sense phones...

Keep up the good work, guys !
Draynam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 17:39   #26
spookytay

Love the app, finally glad there is Winamp for Android devices, I've been using this program since 1997

I'll also vote for...

-Having the ability for ratings

-WiFi sync, have the option to choose what folder or make it the \Music folder, as with most other audio apps use, but I would also like the ability to only include the music folder or, in other ways; the ability to select which folders you only want Winamp to read. I really don't like music apps which shows all my ringtones and other random audio files on the SD card

-Podcast sync, not sure if I'm missing something, it looks like it's there, but everything is greyed out, so not sure if it's coming soon or already is and I don't know how to enable it, but it would be nice to have

-Widget, something slimmer, a 1x4 widget

-and something that Winamp has never had, but would work great on the phone, a "folder" skip (back/forward) button

-Equalizer
spookytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 20:14   #27
datrafitaffy

I think there should be an option for Winamp to pause or disable audio at least if your headset gets disconnected.
datrafitaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 10:54   #28
soullesssoldier

Lazik
http://www.appbrain.com/app/lazik-wi...oid.lazik.lite

aWinampRemote
http://www.appbrain.com/app/awinampremote/awc.java

Those are two very well made Winamp remote controllers. If you are able to incorporate something similar into your current media player app, then it would make your app simply perfect.
soullesssoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 19:19   #29
captainnapalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draynam View Post
My other point is something that I didn't see mentioned before. The lockscreen is a fairly good idea, but in my opinion it's somewhat broken by the fact that, at least on a HTC phone (Desire in my case), after touching the lock icon on Winamp's screen, you're back on the default Sense lockscreen and have to swipe again to finally access your home !

After only a few minutes of use, I disabled Winamp's lockscreen. I'd rather have to unlock the default lockscreen to be able to use Winamp, than to have to unlock two screens to access anything else on my phone !

My dream would be that Winamp could interact with Sense's lock screen, to display the album art and a few controls, as the Sense music player does, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

Failing this, it would be nice if Winamp's lockscreen took the place of the default lockscreeen : a swipy gesture of some sort to unlock, leading directly to your home screen.

Then again, I don't know if this problem affects non-HTC Sense phones...

Keep up the good work, guys !
I agree with this, and it does not simply affect HTC Sense phones. Two lock screens is a little bit annoying, but there's something that's almost more annoying.

There are times when I forget that there is a Winamp lock screen and as soon as I touch the sleep/wake button my fingers automatically swipe to unlock. Sometimes I am able to perform this before the Winamp lock screen appears, but then after I've unlocked the phone, the Winamp lockscreen will still appear.

An integrated solution, such as the default Sense lockscreen that appears when music is playing, would be ideal.
captainnapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:13   #30
lAg94mS

i agree with captain and draynam.
also the button for the lockscreen widget is exceptionally hard to hit as it reacts a little slow and is tiny tiny tiny.
maybe you could integrate stg like i attached and maybe integrate a homescreen widget that isn't that huge (2x4 is half my screen...)
for sync pls allow to sync the artist folders into one folder on the external sd (like winamp music or so), cause all the folders are doing quite a mess to the sd if you use it in osme other ways too (videos or large files)

oh and pls fix the wifi connect issue or post a small help section for that....

on the other side i'm happy i can use winamp on my phone too...

edit:
#vote for winamp desktop remote...and the pull song feature mentioned above sounds just amazing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1.png
Views:	547
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	47855  
lAg94mS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 22:42   #31
joebloggscity

simple requests:
1) Get rid of the "Do you really want to leave Winamp" box

2) Can you add for the podcasts/speech/Audiobooks the function to restart where last stopped left off? Very important as podcasts can be upto 90mins long or so.

3) Please add Smart Views if possible, it's one of the best things in Winamp and would be great to have it in here also.

4) Add "podcasts" as separate to artists/albums etc...
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 18:20   #32
DayMan

Most of the core elements seem to work well - what makes this player beta to me is the lack of features. These are on my list of desired improvements:

1) Skinning. And not just the ability to skin, some included choices. At least different colors.
2) If possible, multi-fuction volume rocker support like what has been posted earlier here.
3) Somewhere to display bit rate information for each song and the ability to see more info about a song in a menu (such as file size, file format, and more tag info).
4) Ability to switch time display modes on a playing song (time progressed, time remaining, etc.).
5) Equalizer and visualizations.
6) When in locked mode, the ability to press and hold next/previous to fast forward/rewind. Additionally, slider seek in locked mode would be nice.
7) More widget options, including some of these other features.
8) A touch-screen button to close the app, visible at all times within the app. Also, the ability to turn off the exit dialogue (although do not nix the dialogue entirely).
9) I'm not sure how the app reacts during a call, but as soon as the phone rings, the player should pause (unless the phone is set in silent mode).

I'd even pay a few bucks for the app if all these features are put in.
DayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 22:39   #33
PaganRuler

Feature request - ability to choose location of music so its not in the root of the sdcard
PaganRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:28   #34
headrift

First up, thanks for the Android port. I've really missed Winamp since moving to Linux years ago.

The only request I have is for shoutcast/icecast support. I have another app I use for my mp3 stream, but it doesn't do my ogg stream and sucks to look at anyway. Please help.

FWIW... Samsung Moment, Android 2.1 Eclair.
headrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:58   #35
c00ller

Quote:
Nice app (:

+1 For the track controls with volume up/down. CyanogenMod does this, but it only seems to work for the stock music app.

If this is not possible, the Music Mod app in the market has this feature: "Double tap trackball while phone is asleep to skip song" so that would be a nice option, too.

Edit: OMG I just realized this was already a feature. Before I had no idea what "Control headset, Use Winamp to control the headset" meant. You should really improve that description, because it really doesn't explain anything. I'm SOO glad I know what it means though
It even works with the CM6 music controls on the lockscreen. Couldn't be integrated more seamlessly.

To really complete the package, it would be nice to have the double tap trackball initiate play/pause. That would really make it an efficient program.

Last edited by c00ller; 9th November 2010 at 23:20. Reason: found that feature already exists, although it was somewhat hidden and unclear
c00ller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 03:35   #36
shortman_alan

Side Volume button long press

I would really like to see the addition of a function that allowed for the skipping between tracks with the long press of the volume hard keys. while short press still adjusts the media volume.

Cheers

Great app. fell in love after first sight
shortman_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 19:03   #37
deveds2

I concur with joebloggscity!!!! Podcasts, podcasts, podcasts... a MUST have...
deveds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 19:17   #38
deveds2

VIDEO podcasts...
deveds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:58   #39
otis_bartleh

I took the survey, but a huge pain in the butt for me is all the album art showing in my gallery.

Please make an option for us to choose the name of the album art file. WinAmp is copying all my "folder.jpg" files (which don't show in my gallery), and creating a "folder.jpeg" which does show in my gallery. So now I have about 50 extra folders of album art in my gallery that I don't want there.
otis_bartleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:06   #40
EagleSoftware

genre

I tend to sort and listen to my music by genre more so then artist, album, or playlists. So it would be great if, along with the other buttons on the main screen, you could add one for playback by genre or even multiple genres via check boxes. I love the ability to control the player from the lock screen
EagleSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android