Old 7th November 2014, 03:07   #81
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Of Note anyone wanting to style up 1001skins the way they want need only to create a bootstrap theme and then provide me a copy of the theme.css file you create.

https://www.boottheme.com/app/#theme
^ Tool for generating a theme.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 02:40   #82
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
The site has been going through some visual updates; in order to support our 'select' a theme/style user profile settings.

1001skins |
Old 9th November 2014, 05:57   #83
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

I have reduced the amount of graphics loading on the initial page and went back to showing different categories of linked skins.

This will have an added effect of reducing page loads, increasing usability and allowing for more skins to be shown on the homepage. I am currently only showing 5 Featured Skins; these are selected currently by me; all through the UI (Gallery).

I hope I have not disrupted to much of the stability while I have been working...however, as there were to many features to work on and to many performance problems; I just pushed everything to production and reversed my way back to stable.

More Changes next week.

1001skins |
Old 10th November 2014, 23:56   #84
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

new Feature rolled out for 1001skins (skin validation)... now a skin detail page will show which windows it has skinned for classics and if it is a CPRO or Modern skin.

http://www.1001skins.com/pages/skinb...thor=c-specter

Of note, problematic skins (those that have files in a folder of the zip) will show that they there is a problem....

1001skins |

Last edited by garetjax; 11th November 2014 at 01:01.
Old 11th November 2014, 00:02   #85
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Wow! Amazing, I've just got a new skin to release and test the engine hehe..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 00:17   #86
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

of Note skins with a folder inside them are not yet fully read...working on that; but this goes inline with other features....

Finally, able to release part 1 of the skin engine was a huge hurdle to overcome.

1001skins |
Old 12th November 2014, 01:28   #87
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Got the folders traversed within the skin...however, cannot open Zip within Zip (or wsz/wal within zip). If you must have them both then upload them both...doesn't hurt me or the server and link to each other...or something.

Otherwise users get the following message:

This package contains multiple skins and cannot be verified for packaged content. Use at your own risk or suggest the skin author; submit each skin by itself.

1001skins |
Old 12th November 2014, 08:53   #88
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
just an idea, couldn't you extract the zip into a temporary folder on the server,
and analyze the content for .wsz .wal files?
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 13:21   #89
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
Got the folders traversed within the skin...however, cannot open Zip within Zip (or wsz/wal within zip). If you must have them both then upload them both...doesn't hurt me or the server and link to each other...or something.

Otherwise users get the following message:

This package contains multiple skins and cannot be verified for packaged content. Use at your own risk or suggest the skin author; submit each skin by itself.
It's ok, I realized it wasn't meant like this, I'll prepare a separate upload later.
So far, the current / zipped upload was fine, I'd add a post-page message confirming the upload was succesful or directly showing the newly created page (this is something carried from the previous system).
The preview isn't upscaling right now, but I guess it's the system being "on the works".

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 13th November 2014, 01:33   #90
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Currently, the skin gallery shows the smaller image, and then you get a bigger image when you click on the details for that skin.

I'm still working on that 'scaling'; there is supposed to be an auto scale associated with the position of the viewer.

I will make this a bit better. On the 'Post Preview' after upload...I will likely only tell you it was successful or not. Really, can't show you the data as technically it hasn't really posted until you leave the page..then, I have a triggered event to move it 'where' skins are provided.

1001Skins uses handler files for the following:
Skin Images
Skin Files
Skin Uploads
Skin Engine
Skin Rating (Currently, this process is a bit clunky and will eventually be a json post once I've finished the engine and page displays).

This has an added benefit of allowing me to extend those functions while not breaking the core code and build up things like the skin engine, file downloader and etc.

I've adjusted the scaling as best as possible...The unity screenshot for example is 387x475; should be good.

1001skins |
Old 29th December 2014, 13:13   #91
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Since several days, I can´t scroll the page, no matter what, are you working on it?

PS: My UNITY skin has way more downloads in 1001 than in DeviantArt (thanks for the feature!)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 29th December 2014, 16:39   #92
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

No...and yes.

No, I haven't rolled out an update....The problem with having a heavily used site is that there are people that go there and try to do things that they shouldn't.

Cross Site Scripting has become an issue and there are pages on the site that currently were targeted. This is one of them; No information was pulled, no secure data was leaked however, the pages that are heavily used are now suffering as a result of some lazy coding on my part.

I have a major update coming soon that will address this and many other 'issues'; though, the biggest change is one for the cross site scripting issue.

A slightly smaller though, still just as big is membership roles, membership users. I am updating to use a more secure user model rather than a static table of users. I am having to roll one by one each user into the new membership model (like yours). Until this is complete and tested on my development server I am not going to be able to update the code.

I will likely release the test site to 1001Skins.com/test/ soon; and test the account migrations once I have released it; once I am sure that the account migrations and new membership system behaves like the old one; then I will move to production.

============
I am aware this is frustrating and attempting to go as fast as I can; however, until then I will look into doing perhaps, a minor change to the site to at least make that page responsive; as it should be.

============
Updated 12:16 12:29:38 GMT -6:00
============

I've forced an overflow-y:auto; for the html main element; that should enable scrolling for all browsers that are affected. This should at least alleviate the usage issue.

1001skins |
Old 30th December 2014, 19:01   #93
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Ok, thanks for the detailed info. The overflow-y:auto solved the issue on Chrome but not on my Firefox, probably is just my setup.

Seems like you're having A LOT of work and re-work with 1001, and if it has so much traffic, at some point it should generate some revenue, isn't it? (I don't think people would get mad for ads)

PS: The title of the website is now "Home Page" =/

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 31st December 2014, 02:34   #94
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

It's not built for revenue...though some, could help. My costs are limited but of course there is some....skins anymore are not as used as they once were and my traffic is constant. It's low for similar sites...ahh well

1001skins |
Old 3rd January 2015, 01:10   #95
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

1001Skins Update - 01/02/2015
--------------------------------------
  1. Membership Model (IdentityModels)
  2. BundleConfiguration
  3. Compiled CSS/JS
  4. Updated Bootstrap
  5. Single Source Pages
  6. Migrated to new WebForms (MVC)
  7. Updated Scripts
  8. Cleaned Up the code
  9. Removed XSS Possibilities
  10. Improved Page Speed

New Features:
New Search - has been put into play; though it is still a beta and likely not nearly complete. I have a few more things to work on in order to get it's full functionality.

Updates:
The new skin system is nearly ready as well. Authors, will be able to click convert their Winamp Skin (Classic) to get it as a WMC Modern. Average, file size's are smaller by half for the WMC Versions!!!!).

More Soon.

1001skins |
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:19   #96
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Impressive, can't wait to test that new skin system! (the first thing I'll do when it's ready is to try it as an Online service ).

PS: The news columns are there to stay? Would be nicer if it has some (small) images on each item, or at least on the top one, right now it looks all too flooded with text..

PS2: Firefox scrollbars are back!!

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 28th January 2015, 21:43   #97
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Profile Pages are now up and running. Each Profile page has been handcrafted yadda yadda sell something, get interest, act casual and ya. Profile pages built for authors in a showcase...Not to bad if you ask me.

1001skins |
Old 28th January 2015, 23:06   #98
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Cool, profile in sig! When it's linked with the site account it'll show my skins (Oops, link fixed)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 13th October 2015, 15:54   #99
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

You are again on modding of the site no? My profile page says "Late skinner" instead of "Victhor" XD

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 14th October 2015, 12:35   #100
Tangerine Radio

Hi - I tried to post this on the contact page of 1001 skins - no joy

----------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for help getting a few internet radio stations working well

I have plenty ad / and sponsor income promised - and ready - just need to get sites live - one in particular which needs a " skin " of sorts - which can use an image to broadcast

a bit like www.sydneyharbourdadio.com.au -

any ideas / contacts please - happy to offer a share of income - which though not enormous -= should be substantial

studio@tangerineradio.uk
Tangerine Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 19:59   #101
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

So, let me answer a few things...

1. 1001Skins.com > Is in Development; you can still use skins...though, I am not at present supporting new or updating skins.

2. 1001skins.com > About/Contact - You can contact me from the main page of the site. This always works or through my profile.

3. 1001skins.com > Advertising - We are changing this model; I am not supporting outside ads soon. All advertisements will be removed from 1001skins.com. I only ask for a donation on downloads (coming).

4. Skins > I will from time to time make a winamp skin/wmc skin. I will not and nor will I accept payment for a skin (though, you can donate to 1001skins to keep it alive).

5. Collaboration > I will always and eagerly accept collaboration requests on skins. Be prepared to work truly with me. I will as I have in the past push, push, push...until a release is made. I have been known to continue on where others drop off.

6. Make a Skin > I sometime will offer my support in favor of a skin you want or request. If I choose to do it; it is always in my time and if I feel it should be published will provide it with the following notes: (I will publish it on 1001skins, deviantart, winamp.com).

7. All my skins > Are rippable (period); I do not make skins because, I believe I'm an 'ARTIST' I make them because, I like them and will continue to make them as long as I use winamp.

8. 1001skins > Taking to long. Well, honestly I get nothing for 1001skins.com; I have no team of people working on it and no outside parties involved; I footed the bill for hosting thousands of skins, with millions of views/downloads, and limited ads (soon gone). The site is hosted utilizing cloudflare and a Windows VPS Server. (Which on linux or windows is constantly under DDOS/SYN Flood Attack).

9. If I do not reply to you directly, then I apologize I'm a busy guy.

10. Thank you ....

1001skins |
Old 27th October 2015, 05:37   #102
ravermeister

Send a message via ICQ to ravermeister
Hi, just a tip
to prevent DDOS on linux I use fail2ban:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail2ban
http://www.fail2ban.org/

additionally I receive blacklist IP's from http://www.blocklist.de/en/index.html
and I can say 95% of the attacks are gone

maybe it helps
Kind regards Raver
ravermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 10:14   #103
ariszlo

The skin downloaded from the DigitalV page is JadeTube1.wsz, not DigitalV.
ariszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 22:18   #104
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

I've used similar; at present I utilize Cloudflare for propping up the server availability...and keeping DDOS attacks to minimum.

1001skins |
Old 27th October 2015, 22:22   #105
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Joe could you fix my profile which I'm linking to right now? (on my sig)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:30   #106
ariszlo

The Gallery cannot be browsed:

Quote:
Internal Server Error
{"Message":"The ConnectionString property has not been initialized.","StackTrace":" at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.PermissionDemand()\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.PermissionDemand(DbConnection outerConnection)\r\n at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)\r\n at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()\r\n at AppRineco.DbService.GetDataByConnNoParameters(SqlConnection conn, String SqlQuery) in d:\\home\\1001skins.com\\wwwroot\\App_Code\\UnifiedService.cs:line 40\r\n at Skins.GetAllSkins() in d:\\home\\1001skins.com\\wwwroot\\App_Code\\jsonSkins.cs:line 633","ExceptionType":"System.InvalidOperationException"}
Old 3rd November 2016, 04:55   #107
ariszlo

Fixed now: 1001 Skins - Skin Gallery. Thank you, GaretJax!
Old 15th November 2016, 00:34   #108
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

damn pesky kids (Your welcome)

1001skins |
Old 30th March 2017, 13:36   #109
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Just keeping ya'll up to date. Come April 1001skins will likely be down and completely unavailable as I migrate hosting. The current host provider will no longer be offering services at the same rate for hosting and as a result I am having to migrate my hosting and domain with AZURE.

Unless, there is huge problems in the migrations I should have all previous content migrated within a few weeks of it being down. I am actually starting this process now and with luck there will be no outage.

1001skins |
Old 30th March 2017, 17:28   #110
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Cool!

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 31st March 2017, 13:45   #111
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I wish You many luck with the migration, Joe...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 23:40   #112
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

The migration is complete; and we have moved the content to use wordpress with a few additional features.

All users migrated, passwords are gibberish; users wishing to re-access their accounts will have to click forgot password to login; and an email will be generated; with a link to change your password and activate your account.

Forums are built into the site itself.

We also, have a built capacity for users to submit new designs, skins and etc. Directly, into wordpress with a featured image, the skin file and etc. All posts are subject to review; users can submit their post in any single category.

Ratings and Comments are encouraged and set for all users.

Search is based upon lucene (spoken speech language); and integrated completely with the site.

Many other features are built in and too many to speak of.

While currently, accessible through www.1001skins.com > it will redirect you to the new sub and will eventually replace the existing site. I have them running in parallel to offer easy migration from the old to the new.

Direct access to the old site is disabled. Hot linking is soon to be disabled; organic links are ok.

There you have it .... and soon the old site (at some point in the near future will have no more traces left).

I am excited to have released this new version and hope that you all enjoy it.

-jax.

1001skins |
Old 5th May 2017, 03:04   #113
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Awesome! Tomorrow I'll give it a better test, for the time being there is a wp-cache issue which is very common but I can't rmemeber how it's solved, I'm getting a large error message at the very top ("warning: include... no such file... blablabla").

PS /EDIT: Aaaannd I've already received the notice about my password change!

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 5th May 2017, 13:18   #114
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Yes, my host was migrating my install of wordpress from /wp to the root directory and while they were doing so, we had permalink issues. They should be removed now...we are also, working on SSL (this should have no impact on users access, just switch to more a more secure transport).

1001skins |
Old 8th May 2017, 06:57   #115
ariszlo

Old links of the format "1001skins.com/pages/skinbrowser/author/skin/NUMBER" no longer work:
e.g. the old url of Slick Redux now redirects to Skin 2002 Final.
Old 8th May 2017, 15:19   #116
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

As with all things: changes.

The new website does not use the the same format, or the same url patterns by design. This was a deliberate choice. The old site was being used to share 'bad' information, 'bad' downloads and indeed was a constant battle to keep running while over the last year I was working on migrating all content to a standardized system.

That system being wordpress. While I understand that the site is now completely overhauled, well that is the nature of the web always in a state of flux. My old website links do not work and do not point to the same files.

Hot-linking, cold-linking, external links are not going to stay the same forever; I am unlikely to reverse engineer the link pattern in order to route to the correct skin as they were fundamentally flawed.

All 1001skins links that follow the pattern of: {pagetypes}/{action}/{route}/{file}/{id} are not in the new site; they won't be in the new site and will never again be apart of the site.
-------------------

We have moved; we have updated; we are on wordpress.

1001skins |
Old 8th May 2017, 16:54   #117
ariszlo

OK. The new structure makes sense, too: date followed by skin name.

Did you intentionally remove the download numbers or were they just lost during the migration?
Old 9th May 2017, 00:51   #118
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

The download counts where flawed. A very high percentage of them were initiated downloads, without a completion event.

This mean that the download counters across most of the websites that do downloads counts were likely a problem too. While a couple of years ago I switched to using a handler to initiate downloads and then after final byte, did an tick for the download the damage was already done.

Example: SlickSeries2.wsz | 8.6 Million Downloads | 823.6K Actual = 10.4% actually downloaded it. I spent some time looking at everyone overall counters for downloads and they all have the same fundamental flaw. A counter, based on the click to the download; some are better at prevention and my method was fairly fool-proof for accurately setting the download counter; however, I said...it was after the damage was done.

So, we are now longer using this method; we use a combination of things (not disclosing to prevent gaming the system again) and we do not show the # so as to prevent a need to game the system or give a user a measure of their count vs other skins.

Our rating system has also been recalibrated and uses multiple systems to prevent similar outcomes.

1001skins |
Old 12th May 2017, 19:03   #119
ariszlo

Download links are broken

Go to skin (e.g. Noistromo, Cyanian2010, or Remnant) and click on "Click to Download". You'll get "The page you are looking for cannot be found."
Old 14th May 2017, 00:48   #120
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

I did they work; maybe you are cached...

j/k. I've updated the mime-type for the skins as application/x-zip-compressed. This will allow them to be downloaded. Though, they will be auto-converted to zip. No help here for now...unless, I change them to an octect stream...which could also be a problem.

1001skins |
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins